Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
Thread started 23 Sep 2017 (Saturday) 03:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sony RX10 mk IV share your thoughts, interest, images.

Will ­ in ­ Tejas
Goldmember
2,117 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Sep 05, 2018 04:48 |  #691

DocRoger wrote in post #18700359 (external link)
Yes, I would say the Rx10iv is a Major League player all the way! You've said all along Robert, that this camera makes you think twice about bringing out all your heavy gear. Ok, one more from that day - I can't resist because it really performed so well! Here's an 85 MPH Sinker Ball coming right at you. (Taken as the light was starting to fade and I lost some detail on this).

AZGeorge wrote in post #18700413 (external link)
Very nice. And the Indians are having a good year. Every though they aren't the Cubs. Forever.

Excellent job with the RX. If things hold pat we will be seeing you guys in a few weeks. From the stands on 6-27 with the RX, Alex Bregman walk off with the ball leaving the bat. No lenses over 8" in Minute Maid Park.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Bill being Smug (external link)

sponsored links
DocRoger
47 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Apr 2018

Sep 05, 2018 08:08 |  #692

Will in Tejas wrote in post #18700665 (external link)
Excellent job with the RX. If things hold pat we will be seeing you guys in a few weeks. From the stands on 6-27 with the RX, Alex Bregman walk off with the ball leaving the bat. No lenses over 8" in Minute Maid Park.

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Will in Tejas in
./showthread.php?p=187​00665&i=i241921760
forum: Sony Cameras

That's a great shot. Gotta love that continuous drive mode for getting shots like this. I wasn't sure I was going to be able to get the RX10iv into the stadium because a week before someone I know was told nothing over 100mm allowed. They actually looked at the numbers on his lens! He said it had something to do with preparation for next years All-Star game which will be here.

https://www.flickr.com​/photos/jazzdoc/ (external link)

Will ­ in ­ Tejas
Goldmember
2,117 posts
Joined Mar 2014

Sep 05, 2018 10:51 |  #693

DocRoger wrote in post #18700782 (external link)
That's a great shot. Gotta love that continuous drive mode for getting shots like this. I wasn't sure I was going to be able to get the RX10iv into the stadium because a week before someone I know was told nothing over 100mm allowed. They actually looked at the numbers on his lens! He said it had something to do with preparation for next years All-Star game which will be here.

Thanks and you're right about the continuous drive. Light can be an issue in MMP due to the roof being closed most of the time in the hot months.

MedicineMan4040
THREAD ­ STARTER
The Magic Johnson of Cameras
15,968 posts
Gallery: 1554 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Jul 2013

Sep 06, 2018 02:41 |  #694

Will in Tejas wrote in post #18700933 (external link)
Thanks and you're right about the continuous drive. Light can be an issue in MMP due to the roof being closed most of the time in the hot months.

and being a hillibilly in the deep woods I've never seen a pro baseball game :(
Loving the shots you and Doc are getting.

flickr (external link)
Vid Collection: https://www.youtube.co​m/user/medicineman4040 (external link)

Eggiez
208 posts
Joined Oct 2017

Sep 07, 2018 04:29 |  #695

Little owl...

HOSTED PHOTO

Gary :)
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/g_neville/ (external link)

DocRoger
47 posts
Joined Apr 2018
Post edited 3 months ago by DocRoger. (2 edits in all)

Sep 08, 2018 08:27 |  #696

Eggiez wrote in post #18702326 (external link)
Little owl...
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Eggiez in
./showthread.php?p=187​02326&i=i205678784

Beautiful shot Gary! Nice to see an Owl out in the good light where you can keep the iso low and pick-up such great detail. I found this Barred Owl the other day just by sheer luck. I was tracking a Red-headed Woodpecker and a shadow in one of the trees caught my eye and when I focused my gaze I saw this one staring right at me. It was deep in the woods with poor lighting but the RX10iv came through again with nice image stabilization allowing me to bring my SS down and get a decent image despite the less than ideal lighting.

HOSTED PHOTO

MedicineMan4040
THREAD ­ STARTER
15,968 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Sep 09, 2018 04:22 |  #697

Eggiez wrote in post #18702326 (external link)
Little owl...
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Eggiez in
./showthread.php?p=187​02326&i=i205678784

I love owls and this is wonderful Gary.

flickr (external link)

MedicineMan4040
THREAD ­ STARTER
15,968 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Sep 09, 2018 04:30 |  #698

DocRoger wrote in post #18703300 (external link)
Beautiful shot Gary! Nice to see an Owl out in the good light where you can keep the iso low and pick-up such great detail. I found this Barred Owl the other day just by sheer luck. I was tracking a Red-headed Woodpecker and a shadow in one of the trees caught my eye and when I focused my gaze I saw this one staring right at me. It was deep in the woods with poor lighting but the RX10iv came through again with nice image stabilization allowing me to bring my SS down and get a decent image despite the less than ideal lighting.
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by DocRoger in
./showthread.php?p=187​03300&i=i228542495

Woot on the Barred! I'm always on the lookout for any ow. Great find.

flickr (external link)

Will ­ in ­ Tejas
Goldmember
2,117 posts
Joined Mar 2014

Sep 10, 2018 04:46 |  #699

Any good tuts on using video from this camera? Short one I threw together. Think I need a faster frame rate

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=4tmF-DCbDwQ (external link)

Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
5,290 posts
Gallery: 99 photos
Joined Jul 2005

Sep 10, 2018 07:51 as a reply to  @ Will in Tejas's post |  #700

What frame rate is that?

Dave
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/12185187@N00/ (external link)
1DX2, 1D4, 1DS2. Canon, Sigma lenses
Image editing OK

Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
5,290 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Sep 10, 2018 08:00 |  #701

I was chasing this Pacific baza this afternoon. Took a bunch of photos with the RX10 and also 1DX2 with Sigma 500 f4 Sport.
I did not get any great shots, this was one of the better ones. I was reviewing JPEGs, photos from both cams in the 1 folder.
I went to the 1DX2 RAW folder to get the file for processing, could not find it, then realised it was an RX photo....

HOSTED PHOTO

Dave
Image editing OK

Will ­ in ­ Tejas
Goldmember
2,117 posts
Joined Mar 2014
Post edited 3 months ago by Will in Tejas.

Sep 10, 2018 09:50 |  #702

Choderboy wrote in post #18704707 (external link)
What frame rate is that?

29 fps in the rendering. Not sure what the camera was set to so my reason for asking about tuts.

DocRoger
47 posts
Joined Apr 2018
Post edited 3 months ago by DocRoger. (2 edits in all)

Sep 10, 2018 10:00 |  #703

Will in Tejas wrote in post #18704650 (external link)
Any good tuts on using video from this camera? Short one I threw together. Think I need a faster frame rate

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=4tmF-DCbDwQ (external link)

Wow, that is a LOT of Hummers! I did a short video testing out the HFR capabilities of the RX10iv. It would be nice to see you use that on a section of your video with so many birds (I only had one hummer at my feeder). My test is here:
https://www.flickr.com …3449427504/in/d​ateposted/ (external link)

Will ­ in ­ Tejas
Goldmember
2,117 posts
Joined Mar 2014

Sep 10, 2018 11:20 |  #704

DocRoger wrote in post #18704772 (external link)
Wow, that is a LOT of Hummers! I did a short video testing out the HFR capabilities of the RX10iv. It would be nice to see you use that on a section of your video with so many birds (I only had one hummer at my feeder). My test is here:
https://www.flickr.com …3449427504/in/d​ateposted/ (external link)

Doc I like that! I don't normally use video enough and I shot that one to see how the camera would do. I need to figure out more. In another couple of weeks I'll probably have 80-100 possibly. Myself and a neighbor up the road have figured that we must be in a migration flight path.

Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
5,290 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Sep 10, 2018 21:42 |  #705

Will in Tejas wrote in post #18704760 (external link)
29 fps in the rendering. Not sure what the camera was set to so my reason for asking about tuts.

I used to be fairly knowledgeable regards video, I'm a bit behind now.
Here's what I now believe: If not wanting to output as slow motion, slower shutter speed is better. By slow I mean 2 x frame rate.
So if you are shooting 30fps use 1/60 sec shutter. A little bit of blur looks natural.
An example of high shutter speed is the first part of Saving Private Ryan. High shutter speed was used to create deliberate 'jerkiness' to suit the chaotic high intensity action on the beach battle.

Generally that goes against still photography technique where a high shutter speed is used to freeze action but actually matches some motion photography, propeller driven aircraft, panning in motorsports etc where a slow shutter satisfies our brains which expect to see at least part of the scene blurred.

If using a higher shutter speed, for whatever reason, use multiples of the frame rate, ie you would use 1/60, 1/120 etc.

In Australia we use PAL. For a long time that meant 25 fps. Now with progressive frame rates, ie 50 frames per second (50P) rather than 25 frames per second consisting of 50 fields per second, 25 field A and 25 field B interlaced I'm not sure if I should be taking that into consideration.

Usually I am now shooting 50P and use 1/100 sec shutter. The results look good to me.

Dave
Image editing OK

sponsored links

54,748 views & 1,870 likes for this thread
Sony RX10 mk IV share your thoughts, interest, images.
FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.