Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 05 Sep 2018 (Wednesday) 02:31
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "How's the new EOS-R stack up for you?"
It's Amazing!
26.7%
It's kind of a let down
34%
It's trash
8.4%
It's good for the price
23.3%
It helped me pick a new body
7.6%

191 voters, 262 votes given (3 choices choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

EOS-R - It's out. Thoughts?

this thread is locked
JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,520 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007
Post edited over 1 year ago by JeffreyG.

Sep 05, 2018 10:44 |  #61

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18700904 (external link)
It seems clear to me that if we substitute the name "Talley" with anyone that went mirrorless with SONY, the same would be true.

ie: I don't see the R system pulling many SONY shooters back to Canon.

I do see the R system and many of it's inherent advantages selling to current Canon shooters, and slowing the trend of moving to SONY.

I agree. The R is a fair camera, but not appealing to me (owning Canon EF and Sony FE right now)

The main thing is that the RF lenses suggest Canon is not thinking of releases that will support small and light FF kit. That’s one thing that prompted me to pick up an FE system. RF looks more like big, fast, no compromise.....like Sigma Art.

Other reasons I see the RF not pulling in Sony gen 3 users:
No Ibis
Battery life
Burst rate without caveat (3 fps)
Video feature set
Dual card slots (for those who need them)

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

sponsored links
05Xrunner
Goldmember, Flipflopper.
5,750 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined Dec 2005

Sep 05, 2018 11:01 |  #62

I will say even if I was shooting canon still. I would be very disappointing in this as a canon shooter. This would not want me to purchase it at all. the crippled AF in burst mode for tracking, The price compared to what others are offering at cheaper price points, No IBIS which seems to be a pretty popular item to add in mirrorless systems.
I look at a mirrorless system as to be able to be a little more compact and less weight but Canon seems to have basically done the opposite on that. Card slot for me I dont really care about but would have preferred something new tech like xqd or cfast. So far the price tag to get into the crippled system for native glass is stupidly priced. Everyone dogged on Nikon z6/7 but I will say that camera seems to be a MUCH better offering as to what Canon spit out.
Canon seems to basically fall on the buzz words and marketing to make this camera sound so amazing when its nothing special. Like 5500 focus points, 54mm mount, 4k(heavy crop), 8fps(3fps with actual focus tracking priority).
I wouldnt touch this thing with a 10foot pole unless it went on sale for like $899 and if I was still shooting canon stuff.
I will stick with my Fuji setup and enjoy features that are not lackluster and crippled.

My gear
Fuji X-T2, Fuji 18-55 2.8-4 OIS, Fuji 35 f2, Fuji 50 f2, Fuji 90 f2, Fuji 55-200 3.5-4.8 OIS
Sony RX100 II

Talley
Talley Whacker
11,086 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Sep 05, 2018 11:40 |  #63

domat wrote in post #18700906 (external link)
This is such a weird comment to me. I am used to all Canon releases be heavily derided and abused by canon users. You are acting like the opposite is the norm?

I act like I want. I want canon to pull off amazing release. They are incremental at best. They only have ONE OPPORTUNITY TO RELEASE THE FIRST MIRRORLESS FULL FRAME.... and this is what we get. Sorry, Canon is just being Canon and are missing too many features for their "midgrade" camera. They are PURPOSELY holding bag for a top tier camera. Sorry... Canon is done toying me around.

randy98mtu wrote in post #18700840 (external link)
I guess Talley won't be coming back to Canon...

Edit: And to all the Sony guys poking fun at the 28-70 f/2's size, weight, etc - it's far better than the Sony f/2 zoom. Wait, they don't have one?

I own more canon stuff than anything else still. While I dislike many things about Sony, Fuji and Canon I gravitated toward what fit most of my needs.

Who has a 28-75 2.8 lens that weighs and is sized at half that 28-70 F2?.... oh wait... ME :) Who can shoot that lens at 1/5 second and get tack sharp images?.... ME :) Who can shoot 4K video with that lens and at 28mm?.... ME :)

Just because you were like I was doesn't justify your need of something that is because it was made. Think about it. Don't fall victim to GAS motivated by your love of a company.

A7rIII | A7III | 12-24 F4 | 16-35 GM | 28-75 2.8 | 100-400 GM | 12mm 2.8 Fisheye | 35mm 2.8 | 85mm 1.8 | 35A | 85A | 200mm L F2 IS | MC-11
My Gear Archive

Talley
Talley Whacker
11,086 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Sep 05, 2018 11:42 |  #64

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18700852 (external link)
the touch controls could really be a game changer.

So would IBIS....

cmon'.... y'all just getting me started :)

A7rIII | A7III | 12-24 F4 | 16-35 GM | 28-75 2.8 | 100-400 GM | 12mm 2.8 Fisheye | 35mm 2.8 | 85mm 1.8 | 35A | 85A | 200mm L F2 IS | MC-11
My Gear Archive

Talley
Talley Whacker
11,086 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Sep 05, 2018 11:44 |  #65

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18700904 (external link)
It seems clear to me that if we substitute the name "Talley" with anyone that went mirrorless with SONY, the same would be true.

ie: I don't see the R system pulling many SONY shooters back to Canon.

I do see the R system and many of it's inherent advantages selling to current Canon shooters, and slowing the trend of moving to SONY.

The R systems inherent advantages for existing Canon shooters;

- Native compatibility (Via adapters) with the entire EF and EF-S line.
- Native compatibility with existing Canon speed-lights.
- Native compatibility with software, DPP etc.
- Uses the same LP-E6 batteries as most current Canon DSLR. (this is pretty significant IMHO)

- The 3 lens adapters, and the additional functionality offered by two of them is a very nice innovative addition to the R System. That the basic model allows you to use ALL EF and EF-S lenses is a fantastic solution that frankly I doubt many of us foresaw. I have to give Canon credit for that. Likewise the drop in filter adapter is pretty amazing! For those of us shooting big whites, we already may have a selection of drop in filters to boot!

Overall, I am seeing the R system a pretty much exactly what Canon needed to step up and be part of the Mirrorless world. Unlike the M system, it doesn't feel like they brought a knife to a gunfight.

Thats how I feel about it. It's a start... but even in their video intro it says "This camera is not a replacement it's an addition" Well what the heck Canon... you think ALL of your customers can afford TWO of your cameras? Make something new, ditch the old... move on... time to kill it. You have a lousy start. You have so much potential to kill all of the competition.

Canon needs to be like DJI... become their only competitor. <---- This would be the game changer.

My Gear Archive

rogue.guineapig
THREAD ­ STARTER
302 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Sep 05, 2018 11:47 |  #66

It's not a complete piece of trash...

but for $2400 I could grab a used A7RIII or a new A7iii and save a few bucks...and those two bodies have two very impressive high performance sensors in them.
So for me it's a question of "If you only have $X, what can you get?"

I think the new custom control layout is brilliant, the M-Fn and control ring are cool, the EF-to-R mount is reasonably priced, and the peripheral features are great...
but they stuck an old sensor in there.

I think this camera is going to be a winner for someone with APS-C glass that wants to upgrade to FF, so they're gonna have to ditch the EF-S glass anyway and a mount change is in their future.
For those of us with EOS glass we have to spend $2500 to get a slightly-dated sensor married to a semi-permanent adapter situation.
If you're gonna end up paying $2500 and being stuck with an adapter anyway, is this the body to do that with? For some, sure. For others no.

I sure was hoping for an OMG moment from Canon...

Canon 6D w/MagicLantern, 16-35 f/2.8LII, 100mm f/2.8L, 70-200 f/2.8LII, 300mm f/4L, and a lot of luck

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,499 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Sep 05, 2018 11:47 |  #67

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18700696 (external link)
Sony plus adapter is about 200 to 300 cheaper than the EOSr equivalent.

Canon EOS r adapter is from $99 to $ 399 and it works with EF, EF-S and TS lenses.
https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com …_mount_adapter_​ef_rf.html (external link)

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

StarJack
606 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Sep 05, 2018 11:49 |  #68

Talley wrote in post #18700965 (external link)
Who has a 28-75 2.8 lens that weighs and is sized at half that 28-70 F2?.... oh wait... ME :) Who can shoot that lens at 1/5 second and get tack sharp images?.... ME :) Who can shoot 4K video with that lens and at 28mm?.... ME :)

Please pardon my ignorance and thread diversion, which manufacturers lens is this Talley?

Regards,
Steve

Talley
Talley Whacker
11,086 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Sep 05, 2018 11:51 |  #69

StarJack wrote in post #18700972 (external link)
Please pardon my ignorance and thread diversion, which manufacturers lens is this Talley?

No worries. The lens I speak of is the Tamron 28-75... A manufacture that is not Sony but a third party who now supports Sony.

My Gear Archive

randy98mtu
Goldmember
3,705 posts
Gallery: 342 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Sep 05, 2018 11:51 |  #70

I act like I want. I want canon to pull off amazing release. They are incremental at best. They only have ONE OPPORTUNITY TO RELEASE THE FIRST MIRRORLESS FULL FRAME.... and this is what we get. Sorry, Canon is just being Canon and are missing too many features for their "midgrade" camera. They are PURPOSELY holding bag for a top tier camera. Sorry... Canon is done toying me around.

I own more canon stuff than anything else still. While I dislike many things about Sony, Fuji and Canon I gravitated toward what fit most of my needs.

Just because you were like I was doesn't justify your need of something that is because it was made. Think about it. Don't fall victim to GAS motivated by your love of a company.

If you don't like the EOS R or Canon and it's no competition for you or your cameras, why are you spending so much time in this thread? Nothing to see here - move along.

Who says I'm like you are/were? I have Sony and Canon. I'm objectively comparing them. You seem to jump on a wagon and that's the only one that can put out the goods anymore. You don't wish Sony had an f/2 zoom, no matter the size/weight? Wouldn't the OPTION be nice? Think about it. Don't feel that you can only love ONE company.

Canon EOS M6 Mark II - EOS R
Donate for Forum Costs

Talley
Talley Whacker
11,086 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Sep 05, 2018 11:55 |  #71

rogue.guineapig wrote in post #18700970 (external link)
It's not a complete piece of trash...

but for $2400 I could grab a used A7RIII or a new A7iii and save a few bucks...and those two bodies have two very impressive high performance sensors in them.
So for me it's a question of "If you only have $X, what can you get?"

I think the new custom control layout is brilliant, the M-Fn and control ring are cool, the EF-to-R mount is reasonably priced, and the peripheral features are great...
but they stuck an old sensor in there.

I think this camera is going to be a winner for someone with APS-C glass that wants to upgrade to FF, so they're gonna have to ditch the EF-S glass anyway and a mount change is in their future.
For those of us with EOS glass we have to spend $2500 to get a slightly-dated sensor married to a semi-permanent adapter situation.
If you're gonna end up paying $2500 and being stuck with an adapter anyway, is this the body to do that with? For some, sure. For others no.

I sure was hoping for an OMG moment from Canon...

Yup. It's not complete trash... and it does tell us one thing. They are moving toward programmable dials and touch pads on both the body and lenses. This is a huge start that is above and beyond anyone else. But in my opinion on their first release they should of at minimum matched the competition. Not be 4 years behind. "This is the first release" is NOT justification for sub par hardware.

All this will do is slow the transfer to Sony. But Sony has a mature lens lineup that is native. I absolutely see Canon ditching the EF mount and this RF is the way they do it... adapted. I bet you anything within 5 years they will slowly phase out EF production and kick up RF production. It truly is Canon's future. They see it they know it they made it. They just failed to bring it all together at first release.

Canon will surely come out on top... their brand loyalty is matched like no other. I have issues with some things on Sony but so far it's a true dream to use their cameras.

My Gear Archive

domat
485 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Sep 05, 2018 11:59 |  #72

Feel free to act anyway you want. The fact remains that most Canon fanboys are pessimists. There is a greater chance that a new item will be panned then praised at release. If you are seeing mostly positive from these guys it actually means something.

I am seeing mixed and that in itself is pretty positive for Canon users.

I'd like IBIS and dual card slots. Other then that this seems great. I can live without either though.

I think you have to high of an expectation.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,853 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited over 1 year ago by Left Handed Brisket. (3 edits in all)

Sep 05, 2018 12:11 |  #73

Talley wrote in post #18700966 (external link)
So would IBIS....

cmon'.... y'all just getting me started :)

I have always felt that IS is a bit overrated. Live subjects need faster shutter speeds, and static subjects get a tripod. But that's me.

My longest lens is 200mm, and while it has IS, it's rare I'm shooting at less than 1/focal length, and more rare that my subject is less likely to move than I am. My two most used primes do not have IS, and I don't remember my last missed shot from camera shake.

But that's me.

My will be thinking of some things to get you more fired up though.

But yeah, that's me.

:)

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

05Xrunner
Goldmember, Flipflopper.
5,750 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined Dec 2005

Sep 05, 2018 12:13 |  #74

domat wrote in post #18700987 (external link)
Feel free to act anyway you want. The fact remains that most Canon fanboys are pessimists. There is a greater chance that a new item will be panned then praised at release. If you are seeing mostly positive from these guys it actually means something.

I am seeing mixed and that in itself is pretty positive for Canon users.

I'd like IBIS and dual card slots. Other then that this seems great. I can live without either though.

I think you have to high of an expectation.

you seem to buy into the marketing well.
So does 8fps(oops I mean 3fps with actual focus priority tracking) sound great
-6ev(oops I mean -6 with 1.2 lens at ISo 100 with single shot)
4k(heavy 1.7crop)
1 card slot(ok can live with..but WTF atleast give it a xqd or cfast card...give it some new tech)
5655 AF points(oops no thats marketing from what I hear you dont have selection of that)
1/8000 only shutter? What is with Nikon and canon offering this at the top shutter speed. In electronic shutter mode why cant it go higher. My fuji does 1/32000 in E-shutter
No continues shooting in silent shutter mode
its a mess that marketing is just doing its job to make it sound great
Price $400+ more than the Sony and $300 more than the Nikon and it is pretty much worse than both of those.

My gear
Fuji X-T2, Fuji 18-55 2.8-4 OIS, Fuji 35 f2, Fuji 50 f2, Fuji 90 f2, Fuji 55-200 3.5-4.8 OIS
Sony RX100 II

rogue.guineapig
THREAD ­ STARTER
302 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Sep 05, 2018 12:18 |  #75

Talley wrote in post #18700981 (external link)
Yup. It's not complete trash... and it does tell us one thing. They are moving toward programmable dials and touch pads on both the body and lenses. This is a huge start that is above and beyond anyone else. But in my opinion on their first release they should of at minimum matched the competition. Not be 4 years behind. "This is the first release" is NOT justification for sub par hardware.

Agreed and I think they could have offset this with a killer price.

"Well it's no A7III...but man is it affordable! You can't have it all for $1749.99!"
That would have made this a real competitor...either compete on price, or on features (or on BOTH!) but compete--on SOME level.

Canon 6D w/MagicLantern, 16-35 f/2.8LII, 100mm f/2.8L, 70-200 f/2.8LII, 300mm f/4L, and a lot of luck

sponsored links

148,438 views & 1,661 likes for this thread
EOS-R - It's out. Thoughts?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.