Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 05 Sep 2018 (Wednesday) 02:31
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "How's the new EOS-R stack up for you?"
It's Amazing!
26.5%
It's kind of a let down
33.8%
It's trash
8.5%
It's good for the price
23.5%
It helped me pick a new body
7.7%

189 voters, 260 votes given (3 choices choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

EOS-R - It's out. Thoughts?

this thread is locked
Talley
Talley Whacker
11,061 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Sep 05, 2018 13:11 |  #91

artsf wrote in post #18701022 (external link)
Looks like RF mount has great potential. To me, this looks like mirrorless 5div. Except AF seems not as good for tracking action. But I am now seriously considering swapping my whole 5div setup. The only major letdown is that it has the same 1.7 crop in 4k which I am already used to anyway.
The advantages over 5div are significant:
- smaller size/weight
- EVF
- Better DPAF
- fully articulating screen
- Drop-in variable ND filter with EF lenses - convenient solution for video.
- Compressed 4k codec option
- RF 35mm f1.8 lens seems to be better than 35mm f2 IS, optically, size/weight and for video (stm)
- silent shutter
- Eye detect, smaller AF points (vs 5div live view)
- probably better bettery life than 5div in LV ( my most used mode)
- overall seems like a better choice for portrature/studio

Not interested in RF lenses, I like extra functionality of EF lenses with R body.

The list is longer when comparing the 5D4 to the cheaper A7III

;)

A7rIII | A7III | 12-24 F4 | 16-35 GM | 28-75 2.8 | 100-400 GM | 12mm 2.8 Fisheye | 35mm 2.8 | 85mm 1.8 | 35A | 85A | 200mm L F2 IS | MC-11
My Gear Archive

sponsored links
nqjudo
Goldmember
3,161 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Sep 05, 2018 13:25 |  #92

I think this is a really solid offering that will appeal to a lot of users and solve a lot of problems for those who still like DSLR but want to add a mirrorless body or test the mirrorless waters. I don't feel the need to change my current system so I won't be buying it but it will definitely be interesting to see what the future brings.

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. - Edward Steichen.

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,349 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 05, 2018 13:26 |  #93

Not, personally, excited about anything in particular with this new platform; however, I think it's a great start and I'll be interested to see what they can implement in future bodies. With more communication channels to utilize between the body and lenses, there are invariably going to some new features and/or new precision that was previously stalled out, I imagine.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

rogue.guineapig
THREAD ­ STARTER
302 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Sep 05, 2018 13:28 |  #94

Talley wrote in post #18701013 (external link)
In their own marketing they say it's a camera that is not a replacement but an addition to.

Ok... well then why price it as a camera that is a replacement cost. This camera at $1499 would of completely killed off any transfers from canon to sony. This would of told the world hey.... here it is come and get it and for those looking for more... just wait because we have TONS in the works.

Destroy the competition. Sorry but that is what Sony did with the A7iii release. They literally made you ? the R3 with as much as they put into the 7III.

It's sure not priced like "an addition" for my budget!  :p

At $1500 ...boy they could have taken shots at Fuji's new XT-3 at that price, and while I'm obviously not real thrilled with the EOS-R as a whole, for $1500 it'd be mighty tempting.
$500 cheaper than an A7iii and "if you like your glass you can keep your glass." That woulda been smokin'!

Canon 6D w/MagicLantern, 16-35 f/2.8LII, 100mm f/2.8L, 70-200 f/2.8LII, 300mm f/4L, and a lot of luck

samueli
Goldmember
1,011 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Sep 05, 2018 13:33 |  #95

It's really sad that it's missing some key items. As said before, people are already happily using features from other brands: IBIS, 4k at 60FPS, 120FPS in 1080. I have a real and somewhat immediate need for current video performance; not yesterdays video. I was hanging on this release, and now I'd like to weep. I prefer full frame, but I don't want Sony. Nothing against Sony, I just wanted to stay with Canon. It's heart breaking.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
9,244 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited 5 months ago by Left Handed Brisket.

Sep 05, 2018 13:50 |  #96

Talley wrote in post #18701042 (external link)
Video with a prime that doesn't have IS. or a standard 2.8 zoom... last I checked canon won't be able to stabilize it.

in my experience with video, shooting shallow DOF is pretty rare. typically slower shutter speeds allow for slower lenses, and the usual better IQ of a prime is not needed for 4K.

If all you have is non-IS lenses, then last i checked IBIS will help.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

05Xrunner
Goldmember, Flipflopper.
5,730 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined Dec 2005

Sep 05, 2018 13:57 |  #97

domat wrote in post #18701037 (external link)
3fps is about right for me. I am pretty much always on SS anyways. I did a week safari in Kruger all in SS. Do models walking etc in SS. I just have not found a good reason for more FPS but that is just the way I shoot. No BIF etc

-6ev how does that compare with others? If I put a 1.2 on Sony or Nikon do I get -6ev?

4k- don't care

card slot- agree

FP seems you can put it anywhere you want with your finger. I care more about coverage. I hate when my focus needs are outside like happens on the A7RIII

SS - guess would be nice but really I would almost never use this. How does your fuji compare in other areas?

I currently have an A9 and been using using A7rIII a fair bit recently. I just don't think anything would change for me if I switched to this Canon.

How is the Nikon better?

So you dont mind needing to spend a TON of money extra for a 1.2 lens to get the -6 they tease as its focus ability. Hiding in fine print that its 1.2

My fuji does great. It is better then my 7DII was. I get a full 8fps in full AF tracking with a higher keeper rate than my 7DII was. I do plenty of action with my kids sports and other things.
ISO noise looks to be about on par with the 5DIII certainly better than canon's crop.
I use the high shutter a decent amount. its nice putting it on M/E shutter mode and it will switch over auto if it gets higher than 1/8000. So its nice being able to use 1.2 glass on a bright day with no need of an ND filter to use it at 1.2
I dont shoot video so I cant compare but the Fuji does nice 4k from what i can tell.
I have dual cards so I dont do redundant but it has benefited me in the past for spill over filling up a card. still getting a pro feature on a $1000 body
So Canon offers a body for the price they are asking and its still lacking behind the competition in price category and also being the most expensive. Typical Canon and pretty happy to have sold off and moved away from them.

My gear
Fuji X-T2, Fuji 18-55 2.8-4 OIS, Fuji 35 f2, Fuji 56 1.2, Fuji 90 f2, Fuji 55-200 3.5-4.8 OIS
Sony RX100 II

HyperCams
Goldmember
1,441 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Feb 2010

Sep 05, 2018 14:11 |  #98

When these get in real hands and the prices start coming down to ~$1500 or so, whether used or Refurbs/sales, you bet I will grab one and see if it fits me.
If not, sell it and move on with life.
I love my 80D now, so most of the negatives associated with this release are already on my current body (FPS, sorta, one card slot, etc). But I will gain the 5DIV sensor...sounds good to me.

YMMV

Brent Oliver
HyperCams & Mods (external link)/Oliver Digital Images
My Flickr (external link)
Feedback and Gear

domat
485 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Sep 05, 2018 14:13 |  #99

05Xrunner wrote in post #18701079 (external link)
So you dont mind needing to spend a TON of money extra for a 1.2 lens to get the -6 they tease as its focus ability. Hiding in fine print that its 1.2

My fuji does great. It is better then my 7DII was. I get a full 8fps in full AF tracking with a higher keeper rate than my 7DII was. I do plenty of action with my kids sports and other things.
ISO noise looks to be about on par with the 5DIII certainly better than canon's crop.
I use the high shutter a decent amount. its nice putting it on M/E shutter mode and it will switch over auto if it gets higher than 1/8000. So its nice being able to use 1.2 glass on a bright day with no need of an ND filter to use it at 1.2
I dont shoot video so I cant compare but the Fuji does nice 4k from what i can tell.
I have dual cards so I dont do redundant but it has benefited me in the past for spill over filling up a card. still getting a pro feature on a $1000 body
So Canon offers a body for the price they are asking and its still lacking behind the competition in price category and also being the most expensive. Typical Canon and pretty happy to have sold off and moved away from them.

Do I mind that if I put a 1.2 lens wide open I get -6 ev? No I don't mind that at all.

cool enjoy your fuji.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,770 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited 5 months ago by Tom Reichner.

Sep 05, 2018 14:19 |  #100

05Xrunner wrote in post #18701079 (external link)
So Canon offers a body for the price they are asking and its still lacking behind the competition in price category and also being the most expensive. Typical Canon .....

You sum it all up quite nicely here.

As a Canon owner, I not only prefer to stick with Canon, but I also want to feel really good about sticking with them. And that would mean feeling like they give me more for the money than any of their competitors give me for the same money.

Unfortunately, I don't feel that way. I feel that if I were to buy a new full frame mirrorless camera, I could get more for my money if I chose a Sony.

At this time, I feel like I get the best value by going with used DSLRs that were released years ago. And so that is what I'll stick to until things change significantly.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

artsf
372 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Joined Sep 2015

Sep 05, 2018 14:26 |  #101

Talley wrote in post #18701043 (external link)
The list is longer when comparing the 5D4 to the cheaper A7III

;)

Not even close. Canon R offers superior ergonomics - look at that grip supported by top lcd and drag & drop af. 35mm f1.8 IS STM lens looks superb, Canon claims it’s near 35mm f1.4 ii quality. DPAF on steroids with 5k+ AF points should mean even better video AF. Canon’s latest OIS is superb and better than Sony’s IBIS for video. Not only that, the digital IS using gyro-sensors as an addition to OIS is very effective (I love it on M50). Compatibility with Canon’s flash ecpsystem, there is no match for studio and portraiture. But the killer feature is that I will be able to use the outstanding EF 85mm f1.4 with its incredible hybrid OIS and drop in variable ND filter. Combine that with fully articulating screen (I can’t stand tilting screens). And of course all of this with Canon’s support, durable made in Japan bodies and lenses. I don’t even mention much better AWB (critical for video), color science, etc... Yes, on paper Sony video spec look better but in use, Canon C-log is the best and out of camera footage is just more pleasant to look at.

mikeinctown
Goldmember
2,075 posts
Joined May 2012

Sep 05, 2018 14:31 |  #102

WTF is with people having a problem that the FPS isn't fast enough for sports or action shooters? Hello, is that why you all rushed out and bought the 6Dii? because its for sports shooters? No, it isn't meant to be that and neither is this camera. Sure it goes to -6EV with the 1.2 lens. Still better than any other AF out there according to specs. The swipe controls and articulating touchscreen, yeah still better than most others out there.

This just leaves plenty of room for Canon to come out with a camera that has the same AF but faster FPS, better video specs, and a newer, better sensor. Holy hell, can you imagine a 1DR series with 15FPS (true, not compressed crap) with the Canon AF, plus full frame 4k, 120 full HD, and possible IBIS? Dual Digic 8 or 9 processors would be crazy fast with AF and images.

russbecker
224 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Sep 05, 2018 14:37 |  #103

IMHO the greatest impact of this EOS R ILC is the new lens mount, and what Canon may do with it going forward. If there are serious advantages inherent in the new RF mount that Canon can't realize in the EF mount (and even better if their competitors can't), the appeal of the new lens system will drive migration to an EOS R system. Same reasoning is going on with Nikon and their new Z-mount; my impression is they are trying to get a clean sheet over having to support all of the various iterations of their legacy F-mount lenses.

As for the camera body itself, seems to be somewhere in the middle between the lackluster 6D2 and the excellent 5D4, and somewhat off to one side as well with different capabilities not found in either of those (as well as features missing such as FPS).

Time will tell.

7D2 | 7D | 80D | 40D | 100-400 f/4-5.6 IIL | 300 f/4 L | 70-200 f/2.8 IIL | 70-200 f/4L | 135 f/2 L | 85 f/1.8 | 100 f/2 | 60 f/2.8 macro | nifty-fifty | 10-22 f/3.5-4.5 | Tamron 150-600 | Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 | Sigma 30 f/1.4 | Sigma 50-150 f/2.8 | Sigma 120-400

elitejp
Goldmember
1,684 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Sep 05, 2018 14:41 |  #104

I dont know if the 6d2 is a great example to use. The 6d1 was and is a great camera for what was offered at the time. A very inexpensive no frills top of the line iq camera from canon. The 6d2 was not that. There wasnt anything impressive about that release. I dont think canon had any trouble keeping that model in stock

6D; canon 85mm 1.8, Tamron 24-70mm VC, Canon 135L Canon 70-200L is ii

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,770 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 05, 2018 14:45 |  #105

mikeinctown wrote in post #18701099 (external link)
WTF is with people having a problem that the FPS isn't fast enough for sports or action shooters? Hello, is that why you all rushed out and bought the 6Dii? because its for sports shooters? No, it isn't meant to be that and neither is this camera.

I am one of the people that you are asking about.

I thought that I explained myself rather thoroughly in the last paragraph of post #58. Did you not understand what I wrote in that paragraph?

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

sponsored links

112,736 views & 1,660 likes for this thread
EOS-R - It's out. Thoughts?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.