Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 05 Sep 2018 (Wednesday) 02:31
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "How's the new EOS-R stack up for you?"
It's Amazing!
26.5%
It's kind of a let down
33.8%
It's trash
8.5%
It's good for the price
23.5%
It helped me pick a new body
7.7%

189 voters, 260 votes given (3 choices choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

EOS-R - It's out. Thoughts?

this thread is locked
gossamer88
"something else"
1,036 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Joined Aug 2014

Sep 06, 2018 13:22 |  #211

Went to the B&H Live Demo on my lunch break. Gotta say, it felt pretty good on my hands, grip-wise. Also had them mount the 50 1.2. Did not feel heavy at all. And the EVF is very nice. That's all I was able to do for the few minutes I had with it. There were people waiting to get their hands on it as well. I asked if I can insert one of my SD cards. Was not allowed...oh well...

That's my G9X next to it. It still dwarfed it LOL!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Canon 5D Mark IV | Tamron 24-70mm G2 | Tamron 70-200mm G2 | 85mm 1.8 | 50mm STM | 35mm f/2 IS | Powershot G9 X | iPhone 7
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,792 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 06, 2018 13:30 |  #212

ed rader wrote in post #18701805 (external link)
is this the thread where all the chronically discontent Canon trolls meet? or are we discussing the new FF mirrorless?

Both.

The two are not mutually exclusive, you know. In fact, they fit together quite nicely into one conversation.

We are here to discuss the things about the new camera that we like, and also the things that we are not content with - all of the features and capabilities that Canon intentionally left out that we were really looking forward to.

Isn't that what threads on photography forums are supposed to be like? Were you wanting this discussion to be different than it is?

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

rogue.guineapig
THREAD ­ STARTER
302 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jan 2011
Post edited 5 months ago by rogue.guineapig.

Sep 06, 2018 13:34 |  #213

is this the thread where all the chronically discontent Canon trolls meet? or are we discussing the new FF mirrorless?

In the words of the Great Tony Stark....

"Is it too much to ask for both?"

:twisted:

EDIT: DANG Tom beat me to it.

Canon 6D w/MagicLantern, 16-35 f/2.8LII, 100mm f/2.8L, 70-200 f/2.8LII, 300mm f/4L, and a lot of luck

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,299 posts
Gallery: 155 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Sep 06, 2018 13:43 |  #214

Charlie wrote in post #18701245 (external link)
Rudy Winston clearly stated in his Canon video, that this camera is not meant to replace DSLR, but a complementary system.

The problem with this idea is that the vast majority of people don;t own a flock of camera bodies. I mean, yeah, I do! :) And many of us do here, but out there in the real world the idea of owning a gaggle of camera bodies is a little eccentric.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
2,574 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Sep 06, 2018 14:14 |  #215

JeffreyG wrote in post #18701767 (external link)
I'm not much of a video guy, but as I understand it the main complaint with these heavy video crops is that it makes it quite difficult to use the camera out and about for stills and videos because the FOV range of the lenses between FF and 1.7x crop is pretty big. It also limits the video lens selection on the wide end quite a bit as a 14mm lens becomes just a regular old wide angle in video mode.

Quite a bit of video is shot in the wide angle range, and so if you are about with your 24-105 shooting stills, flipping to video mode suddenly means you have the FOV of a 41 - 176 zoom. So you need to carry around an UWA zoom at all times to shoot wide angle video, and UWA video is not possible.

Finally, you cannot shoot wide angle video with fast and wide primes (do people do this? I don't know). Because there are a dearth of primes that will fit RF mount, faster than f/2 and wider than 14mm.

I'm just trying to point out the bright side of 1:1 pixels for video. I hate aliasing, especially in video. You can't use a "6.8K" sensor full-width for 4K output without either softening (resampling; very computation-intensive) or spatially distorting ("line skipping") the output.

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,614 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Post edited 5 months ago by davesrose.

Sep 06, 2018 14:28 |  #216

Talley wrote in post #18701731 (external link)
My little drone does 12.5 stops at 10 bit dlog

It’s because it’s a song sensor tho :)

OK, if you really want more video DR (which is limited to codec)....go ahead and ditch consumer cameras and get a RED camera system that's able to do 16bit :p

Canon 5D mk IV
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,792 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited 5 months ago by Tom Reichner.

Sep 06, 2018 14:57 |  #217

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18701825 (external link)
The problem with this idea is that the vast majority of people don;t own a flock of camera bodies. I mean, yeah, I do! :) And many of us do here, but out there in the real world the idea of owning a gaggle of camera bodies is a little eccentric.

Which fact leads me to believe that this new camera is not really made for the general public - a.k.a. the 'vast majority', but rather is specifically marketed towards camera geeks and serious enthusiasts.

'Regular people' aren't really in the market for highly specialized gear, anyway, are they?

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Talley
Talley Whacker
11,061 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Sep 06, 2018 15:23 |  #218

Yup and Yup.

I'm here to talk about all the things that Canon should have done or won't do or did do. Just because I feel like picking at several items I don't like doesn't make me a troll.

...just agree to disagree bud.

A7rIII | A7III | 12-24 F4 | 16-35 GM | 28-75 2.8 | 100-400 GM | 12mm 2.8 Fisheye | 35mm 2.8 | 85mm 1.8 | 35A | 85A | 200mm L F2 IS | MC-11
My Gear Archive

WilsonFlyer
564 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Sep 06, 2018 15:35 |  #219

I have read and learned a ton here over the years, but I rarely post. I posted this in response to the initial impressions review JCristina posted on YouTube. I'm re-posting it virtually verbatim here because with all of the bickering back and forth over this and that, I believe there are a lot of people out there like me who are reading this thread and probably feel a lot like I do.

I have been threatening for months to jump ship and go completely to Sony (III) after being a Canon fanboy and user since the AE-1 (original) in the late 70s. So much glass and owning a Mk III, an 80D, a 70D and a 6D made me rethink that and second-guess myself for going on 6 months now, and I'm still second guessing.

What the R system has done for me personally is it has bought me time. I'm going to sell the 70D and the 6D, and maybe even the 80D. I also am heavily vested in Sony on the APS-C side and I may make the split there, at least for now. I'll likely sell all of my Sony bodies and buy the new 7000 body and that line will become my go-to APS-C body. From the Canon sales, I'll buy the ring adapter and the R camera and that will become my FF "side of the house."

I'll live with my existing lens lineup including the 24-105 that came with my Mk III (on the R) and bide my time for another 6-12 months to see what the evolution is going to evolve into. If I don't like the direction, I'm out nothing. I can always punt again in a year or so if I need to. If I like the R as much as I think I will, I'll likely sell my Mk III and buy a grip also, something I have on all of my Canon bodies now.

I really want the "next" R. I think that will be the one. Don't we all? Honestly, if this camera (the R) wasn't a crop 4k, limited to 30p, and if it had 1080p/120, I'd be done. This camera would last me 5-7 years. Those are the only features it really appears to be lacking from my daily non-professional needs. I'm betting iteration 2 will have (at least) all three (60p@100, FF 4k and 1080p/120). In the meantime, I intend to fully enjoy finally using a Canon camera that actually SHOWS me what my photograph will be in the EVF as I compose, a feature I have enjoyed immensely on my Sony 6000, 6300 and 6500 and one that has been sorely lacking on my primary line up until now.

I can't wait to see what the UPS guy brings me in 3 weeks, nor what the future of this line brings in the upcoming months. Am I excited about this announcement? You betcha I am! Did they miss the boat? Maybe a little, but it's not $4kUS either. ;-)a

WilsonFlyer
564 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Sep 06, 2018 15:41 |  #220

BTW, the poll is sorely lacking an "It's just about exactly what I expected from Canon on a first pass FF mirrorless" because that is EXACTLY how I feel. I voted for the top because it was the closest, but it's far from how I actually feel, as is option 2 which is miles from option 1.

randy98mtu
Goldmember
3,562 posts
Gallery: 327 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Sep 06, 2018 16:16 |  #221

gossamer88 wrote in post #18701806 (external link)
Went to the B&H Live Demo on my lunch break. Gotta say, it felt pretty good on my hands, grip-wise. Also had them mount the 50 1.2. Did not feel heavy at all. And the EVF is very nice. That's all I was able to do for the few minutes I had with it. There were people waiting to get their hands on it as well. I asked if I can insert one of my SD cards. Was not allowed...oh well...

That's my G9X next to it. It still dwarfed it LOL!

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by gossamer88 in
./showthread.php?p=187​01806&i=i262095019
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by gossamer88 in
./showthread.php?p=187​01806&i=i68122211
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

You are now the most qualified in this thread to comment on the camera. I'm jealous I don't live near a big store like that.

Canon EOS M6 - EOS R - EF, EF-M and RF lenses
Donate for Forum Costs

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,336 posts
Gallery: 98 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited 5 months ago by TeamSpeed. (2 edits in all)

Sep 06, 2018 16:29 as a reply to  @ post 18701728 |  #222

That post I replied to didn't feel like bantering... ;) But in any case, we will let others higher up in the food chain decide. :D

Talley has always had a bit of drama with his gear changes, I remember the early days of different bodies and lenses, then I watched the move to Sony with interest, because I think we shoot some of the same kinds of things.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

davinci953
244 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Sep 06, 2018 16:52 |  #223

WilsonFlyer wrote in post #18701898 (external link)
I have read and learned a ton here over the years, but I rarely post. I posted this in response to the initial impressions review JCristina posted on YouTube. I'm re-posting it virtually verbatim here because with all of the bickering back and forth over this and that, I believe there are a lot of people out there like me who are reading this thread and probably feel a lot like I do.

I have been threatening for months to jump ship and go completely to Sony (III) after being a Canon fanboy and user since the AE-1 (original) in the late 70s. So much glass and owning a Mk III, an 80D, a 70D and a 6D made me rethink that and second-guess myself for going on 6 months now, and I'm still second guessing.

What the R system has done for me personally is it has bought me time. I'm going to sell the 70D and the 6D, and maybe even the 80D. I also am heavily vested in Sony on the APS-C side and I may make the split there, at least for now. I'll likely sell all of my Sony bodies and buy the new 7000 body and that line will become my go-to APS-C body. From the Canon sales, I'll buy the ring adapter and the R camera and that will become my FF "side of the house."

I'll live with my existing lens lineup including the 24-105 that came with my Mk III (on the R) and bide my time for another 6-12 months to see what the evolution is going to evolve into. If I don't like the direction, I'm out nothing. I can always punt again in a year or so if I need to. If I like the R as much as I think I will, I'll likely sell my Mk III and buy a grip also, something I have on all of my Canon bodies now.

I really want the "next" R. I think that will be the one. Don't we all? Honestly, if this camera (the R) wasn't a crop 4k, limited to 30p, and if it had 1080p/120, I'd be done. This camera would last me 5-7 years. Those are the only features it really appears to be lacking from my daily non-professional needs. I'm betting iteration 2 will have (at least) all three (60p@100, FF 4k and 1080p/120). In the meantime, I intend to fully enjoy finally using a Canon camera that actually SHOWS me what my photograph will be in the EVF as I compose, a feature I have enjoyed immensely on my Sony 6000, 6300 and 6500 and one that has been sorely lacking on my primary line up until now.

I can't wait to see what the UPS guy brings me in 3 weeks, nor what the future of this line brings in the upcoming months. Am I excited about this announcement? You betcha I am! Did they miss the boat? Maybe a little, but it's not $4kUS either. ;-)a

It's been interesting to watch the evolution of camera gear. I was pretty jazzed when I first got my Nikon FE with a motor drive and aperture priority auto-exposure. Everything else was manual. The feature set was pretty limited (I guess I'm dating myself here.). It's somewhat funny to look at the specs on the cameras that are now available and see people complain with such wailing and gnashing of teeth about what spec or feature the camera doesn't have. I know the feature set is all relative, and well, people need something to complain about (first world complaints at that). The EOS R looks to be a quite capable camera and probably a lot more camera than the average user needs or will ever use. Part of what's noteworthy with this release is that Canon released a EOS R ecosystem, not just a camera body. Kudos to them for taking that approach. Will I buy it? Probably not. I simply don't need any more gear (famous last words). But it has perked my interest to see what might come in the EOS R Mark II, or whatever else Canon has waiting in the wings :-).

samueli
Goldmember
1,011 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Sep 06, 2018 16:53 |  #224

John Sheehy wrote in post #18701840 (external link)
I'm just trying to point out the bright side of 1:1 pixels for video. I hate aliasing, especially in video. You can't use a "6.8K" sensor full-width for 4K output without either softening (resampling; very computation-intensive) or spatially distorting ("line skipping") the output.

So the crop is going to be 3840 x 2160 taken from the middle of the 6720 x 4480 max resolution for 1:1 pixels in 4k?

Makes me think that video quality will be quite alright, but the crop and relative lens range is the distraction.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,336 posts
Gallery: 98 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited 5 months ago by TeamSpeed.

Sep 06, 2018 16:57 |  #225

samueli wrote in post #18701945 (external link)
So the crop is going to be 3840 x 2160 taken from the middle of the 6720 x 4480 max resolution for 1:1 pixels in 4k?

Makes me think that video quality will be quite alright, but the crop and relative lens range is the distraction.

Correct... Somebody pops a 24mm lens on the camera, and they get a 4K video at 40mm. They would have to go to a 14mm lens, and a) that is a bit difficult to do, selections are thin and b) then one has to deal with any distortion that might occur with the UWA, and c) one would have to have basically 2 lenses, one for video and one for stills.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

sponsored links

112,928 views & 1,660 likes for this thread
EOS-R - It's out. Thoughts?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.