Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
Thread started 05 Aug 2018 (Sunday) 21:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Does mirrorless do anything for you?

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,031 posts
Gallery: 145 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Sep 06, 2018 21:26 |  #601

One reason I went Leica M was to go smaller. I have shot billboards with 24mps and 36 X 54 prints for a client also 24mps. I shot with 500 C/Ms for a couple of decades and film medium format really made a lot of sense. If I was doing studio type work most of the time I would have a larger format but I don't.

Nice to have choices. Love a smaller, quieter. less obtrusive camera for the type of work I do both professionally and personally.

sponsored links
N2bnfunn
690 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 06, 2018 21:47 |  #602

Hello for now a mirrorless camera is NOT a Professional grade camera. Let me explain with the mirrorless camera it does have a
professional sensor but the size for most people it is too small for your hands for a long periods of time.

The battery life will be half the time then a professional grade camera. In automobile terms it like having a car with massive engine
but that doesn't mean it is ready for the race way.

Mirrorless camera's has a ways to go before I would consider using it has my main camera.

Canon 1DX Canon EOS R EF 70-200 L 2.8 EF 50mm 1.2 L 24-105 4.0 L 24-70 2.8L II Canon Pixma PRO-1 3 Canon 600EX-RT Speedlites

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,527 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 9 months ago by Wilt.

Sep 06, 2018 21:52 as a reply to  @ post 18702089 |  #603

But we all know that it is not the size of the sensor, but how WELL that one USES said sensor, that really matters.
The ART is in the use methodology.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

mystik610
Cream of the Crop
8,810 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2012
Post edited 9 months ago by mystik610. (2 edits in all)

Sep 06, 2018 22:05 |  #604

N2bnfunn wrote in post #18702150 (external link)
Hello for now a mirrorless camera is NOT a Professional grade camera. Let me explain with the mirrorless camera it does have a
professional sensor but the size for most people it is too small for your hands for a long periods of time.

The battery life will be half the time then a professional grade camera. In automobile terms it like having a car with massive engine

Mirrorless camera's has a ways to go before I would consider using it has my main camera.

Um lots lots no people are using them professionally now so you're sentiment is flat out wrong.

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α7ʀIII
Zeiss Loxia 21 - Canon 24-70 2.8LII - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - Sony 50 1.8 - Sony 85GM - Sigma 135 f1.8 ART

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,930 posts
Gallery: 105 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited 9 months ago by TeamSpeed. (2 edits in all)

Sep 06, 2018 22:13 |  #605

Strange, considering the Sony line at least can go just as long as Canon 1D series with a single battery, and that there are pro wedding, landscape and sports shooters using Sony A9 and native glass. The Canon EOS-R, if you would watch any videos at all, like Kai's latest, will show that the Canon is quite substantial and for most folks will give enough grip for all fingers.

Canon's however is lacking in burst rate and dual cards for pros, but again, that is a Canon limitation, not one found on some other mirrorless bodies.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock
For Sale: Ladies Thirty-One Camera Sling

soeren
Whoops Im not updated
600 posts
Joined Nov 2017

Sep 06, 2018 22:15 |  #606

So ALL photographers have really big hands and shoots nonstop in continuous high for days without sleep. and while we're at it they consider 400mm f2.8 a slow wideangle :)

If history has proven anything. it's that evolution always wins!!

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,031 posts
Gallery: 145 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007
Post edited 9 months ago by airfrogusmc. (2 edits in all)

Sep 06, 2018 22:16 |  #607

Interesting because I am a full time professional and have been since 1986 and I shoot with digital Leica Ms.

As for frame rate I never shoot in anything but single frame mode and I always seem to find the moment.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,527 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 9 months ago by Wilt. (2 edits in all)

Sep 06, 2018 22:16 as a reply to  @ N2bnfunn's post |  #608

And there are folks using Tn (nnnD outside the USA) bodies to shoot weddings, and they are paid to do so by the client hiring them...a 'professional' (hired) distinctly using an entry-level camera to do the job.

So what makes a 'professional' camera is quite nebulous to define!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

N2bnfunn
690 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 06, 2018 23:35 |  #609

soeren wrote in post #18702169 (external link)
So ALL photographers have really big hands and shoots nonstop in continuous high for days without sleep. and while we're at it they consider 400mm f2.8 a slow wideangle :)

Well I never said all.. but for now you won't see a side line photographer at a professional football or any professional sport with a mirrorless camera for now.

Canon 1DX Canon EOS R EF 70-200 L 2.8 EF 50mm 1.2 L 24-105 4.0 L 24-70 2.8L II Canon Pixma PRO-1 3 Canon 600EX-RT Speedlites

N2bnfunn
690 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 06, 2018 23:38 |  #610

airfrogusmc wrote in post #18702170 (external link)
Interesting because I am a full time professional and have been since 1986 and I shoot with digital Leica Ms.

As for frame rate I never shoot in anything but single frame mode and I always seem to find the moment.

By the way I am professional photographer as well, and the battery life on a mirrorless camera would not be enough for me or anyone that is shooting all day long. That is why my 1DX has the over side battery and it has some weight to it.

elitejp
Goldmember
1,723 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Sep 06, 2018 23:47 |  #611

Why is battery life such a problem. Buy a grip or connect the mirrorless to a usb cable and a portable charger. Now youve added weight to your camera too lucky you.

Not to mention that you as a professional most certainly carry spare batteries. This tends to be a very good option for any camera.

Its like a mirrorless for some reason has no workaround to a single battery slot in the camera.

6D; canon 85mm 1.8, Tamron 24-70mm VC, Canon 135L Canon 70-200L is ii

mystik610
Cream of the Crop
8,810 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Jan 2012
Post edited 9 months ago by mystik610.

Sep 06, 2018 23:47 |  #612

N2bnfunn wrote in post #18702217 (external link)
Well I never said all.. but for now you won't see a side line photographer at a professional football or any professional sport with a mirrorless camera for now.

Yes because only sports photographers are pros right? :rolleyes:

Only amateurs classify photographers by what kind of camera they shoot.

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α7ʀIII
Zeiss Loxia 21 - Canon 24-70 2.8LII - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - Sony 50 1.8 - Sony 85GM - Sigma 135 f1.8 ART

soeren
Whoops Im not updated
600 posts
Joined Nov 2017
Post edited 9 months ago by soeren. (3 edits in all)

Sep 07, 2018 00:24 |  #613

No. I was exaggerating my sarcasm a bit.
Your definition is very narrowminded to say the least. Besides wildlife and sports shooters there are a lot different niches in professional photography and there are female photographers to. Not all, not even most have the need for a big camera.
Real-life experiences reported suggest the battery life to be more than enough for most applications and mind you not that many years ago photographers had to stop shooting after 32-36 exposures, some professionals still do..... While it may not be for you and your business there are photographers who find a mirrorless the best choice for their work seeing the benefits of eye-AF and the features the evf makes possible to make up for perhaps needing to change the battery once or maybe twice which BTW is not a complicated and time consuming task.

If history has proven anything. it's that evolution always wins!!

Lyndön
Goldmember
2,184 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Sep 07, 2018 00:48 |  #614

Not true. Check out the YouTube video of the Sony professional photographer who is shooting the US Open (tennis) with the A9 and FE 400 2.8. Looks to me like it did pretty darn good.

https://youtu.be/8_Tle​j_oatY (external link)

True that there aren’t many pro sports shooters using Sony today, but I’d say the main reason is bc they’re still filling out their line of big whites. The A9 is extremely capable for pro sports, and with a little more time they’ll have several big lenses and I think it’ll be a different story. I expect Sony to continue to be aggressive in trying to work their way into those markets just as they have on the non-sport side of things.

GEAR LIST

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
3,137 posts
Gallery: 331 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Apr 2014

Sep 07, 2018 03:57 |  #615

Bahaha, mirrorless not having a 'professional' sensor. The size of my mirrorless camera is about the same as my 135mm Film camera, but I'm sure that was not a professional camera at the time so. The sensor seems to be up to the job too despite it not having a mirror in front of it proving to the world that it is indeed all powerful at taking pictures.

Mirrorless for sports as a professional, bet you didn't know that ALL the official media, both video and photos, for the FIA WEC (World Endurance Championship), and the ELMS (European Le Mans Series) including the world famous 'Le Mans 24hr' and the Michelin GT Le Mans Cup is shot on mirrorless, & mirrorless APS-c for a lot of it. Thats a rather heavily invested business that people watch and advertisers pay huge money to have their logos seen. Think about that for a bit and tell be again why mirrorless is not professional.

Fuji: X-PRO2, X-T3. 16/1.4, 18/2, 23/1.4, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 90/2, 16-55/2.8, 50-140/2.8.
Pelican, Ona, ThinkTank, Matthews Grip, Elinchrom

Gear & Discounts (external link)Instagram (external link)Blog (external link)
Coffee & Fujis (external link)YouTube (external link)

sponsored links

31,262 views & 388 likes for this thread
Does mirrorless do anything for you?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.