Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Still Life, B/W & Experimental 
Thread started 11 Mar 2011 (Friday) 00:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Post your gun shots here

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,954 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Aug 29, 2018 09:17 |  #4126

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18688345 (external link)
It seems to me that the higher end accurized M-14/M-21ish/M1As have often been considered right up there with bolt actions of the same caliber. Similar to PSG-1. Certainly close enough to be called precision. I'd certainly assume that a well accurized AR would achieve that level as well.

We never really liked semi auto rifles too much in this country. Add that our NRA didn't adopt them in 67 when the military finally withdrew the last .303's from service. They did keep some No4 action Enfield rifles in service, as the L39 target rifle, and L42 sniper rifle, formally the No4T, both rebarreled and chambered for 7.62×51 NATO. They did the same for some BREN guns too, as the LMG. So since that time the bolt action guns have dominated the ranges. Of course the post Hungerford ban on semi-auto centerfire rifles finally killed of any chance of our using accurised semi-autos.

I think I have also suffered, in a good way, from belong to clubs with a high proportion of top level shooters. When you are shooting against the person that has won more Commonwealth Games medals than any other athlete in your club championship, it pushes you to up your game. Having his coach at the club too helps too of course. When you are around these sorts of people a lot your expectations do tend to rise. Getting into smallbore BR didn't help either.

Alan

A couple of old ones from the range.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

sponsored links
Dsully
501 posts
Gallery: 151 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Mar 2014

Aug 29, 2018 11:09 |  #4127

IMAGE: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1890/44284809252_eaa75ef794_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2ati​dW1  (external link) 302A0509-Edit.jpg (external link) by Dsully (external link), on Flickr

Lt ­ Colonel
626 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Aug 31, 2018 07:35 |  #4128

BigAl007 wrote in post #18695723 (external link)
We never really liked semi auto rifles too much in this country. Add that our NRA didn't adopt them in 67 when the military finally withdrew the last .303's from service. They did keep some No4 action Enfield rifles in service, as the L39 target rifle, and L42 sniper rifle, formally the No4T, both rebarreled and chambered for 7.62×51 NATO. They did the same for some BREN guns too, as the LMG. So since that time the bolt action guns have dominated the ranges. Of course the post Hungerford ban on semi-auto centerfire rifles finally killed of any chance of our using accurised semi-autos.

I think I have also suffered, in a good way, from belong to clubs with a high proportion of top level shooters. When you are shooting against the person that has won more Commonwealth Games medals than any other athlete in your club championship, it pushes you to up your game. Having his coach at the club too helps too of course. When you are around these sorts of people a lot your expectations do tend to rise. Getting into smallbore BR didn't help either.

Alan

A couple of old ones from the range.

Alan

Very nice groups. I'm getting the itch to play in the smallbore group a bit. I've been looking at a CZ 455 Trainer, however Ruger's new Precision Rifle in rimfire is getting good reviews as a starting point.

5DIII, 6D, 7D2, 5DMKIV,1DMK4,EOS-M,1DX
https://woodawg.smugmu​g.com/ (external link)

Dubi
236 posts
Gallery: 141 photos
Joined Dec 2017

Sep 02, 2018 20:16 |  #4129

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,954 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 04, 2018 18:31 |  #4130

Lt Colonel wrote in post #18697109 (external link)
Very nice groups. I'm getting the itch to play in the smallbore group a bit. I've been looking at a CZ 455 Trainer, however Ruger's new Precision Rifle in rimfire is getting good reviews as a starting point.

We are really lucky here in the UK in some respects. If you look around a bit you can pick up old .22 match rifles for silly money. Of my three Anschutz rifles the first I got new back in 87, and it was a lucky find in a dealer who usually sold shotguns. He'd ordered it for a guy, taking I think a big deposit. Three years later I walk in an am able to pick up a £1000 rifle for £650. That was my 1813 which has 1984 proof marks.

My second Anschutz rifle is a 1964 (which makes it as old as me) proofed 1411 that I picked up from another shooter at my club. He was moving it on because it wasn't really what he wanted. I actually picked this up about eleven years ago, and it cost me a whopping £50, complete with sights and all the bits, and even in a very battered hard case.

My third Anschutz is a very basic 64 Action sporter in a plain beech stock. That one cost me a measly £30! I fell on that one when I was in the dealers that I run the website for. A guy brought it in and wanted to Px it against IIRC a 1022. My friend was reluctant, but I silently indicated the price I was willing to give, and since the guy would have to get rid of the Anschutz first before he could get the 1022, thanks to how our licencing system works, I got a really good deal.

A 35% reduction on what is a new gun, even if it's been on the shelf a couple of years is not bad. The £50 1411 at the time was about a $900 rifle in the US, maybe even a $1000. Prices did start to go up a bit on some of those old guns, as a dealer was buying them up and shipping them to the US. Yes I did luck into the guns, but generally with a little patience you can find some good deals over here.

And yes I enjoy bragging on my cheap Anschutz rifles to Americans:-P

Alan

Dubi
236 posts
Joined Dec 2017

Sep 04, 2018 20:31 |  #4131

'Merica

HOSTED PHOTO

Lt ­ Colonel
626 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Sep 04, 2018 22:43 as a reply to  @ BigAl007's post |  #4132

You should brag. I've been looking at the Anschutz and trying to convince myself that I'd lose weight and grow hair if I had one. The top three of interest right now are the CZ 455 Tacticool, Anschutz 64 and the Lithgow LA101 which is almost impossible to find here in the US. At my age, I'm not looking for serious competition, but something to mount a scope on and shoot toothpicks and match sticks with my buddies.

5DIII, 6D, 7D2, 5DMKIV,1DMK4,EOS-M,1DX
https://woodawg.smugmu​g.com/ (external link)

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,954 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 07, 2018 17:19 |  #4133

Dubi wrote in post #18700487 (external link)
'Merica

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Dubi in
./showthread.php?p=187​00487&i=i250329309
forum: Still Life, B/W & Experimental

Nice are they BAT actions? One of those in a .308 single shot would make a great FTr rifle, while I'd take one sporting a mag well that would accept old L1A1 magazines for our use in the McQueen sniper match, and for fun of course. That magazine option would give me both 20 and 30 round options in .308, although I think I'd need a bit of space under the rifle for the long magazines.

Alan

Dubi
236 posts
Joined Dec 2017
Post edited 5 months ago by Dubi. (2 edits in all)

Sep 07, 2018 20:03 |  #4134

BigAl007 wrote in post #18702849 (external link)
Nice are they BAT actions? One of those in a .308 single shot would make a great FTr rifle, while I'd take one sporting a mag well that would accept old L1A1 magazines for our use in the McQueen sniper match, and for fun of course. That magazine option would give me both 20 and 30 round options in .308, although I think I'd need a bit of space under the rifle for the long magazines.

Alan

I am unsure what "BAT" action means (I just take photos).
/edit.... I see that the left side of the gun says BAT. I will ask tomorrow at the match.

Here is another view:

HOSTED PHOTO

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,954 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 07, 2018 22:26 |  #4135

Dubi wrote in post #18702984 (external link)
I am unsure what "BAT" action means (I just take photos).
/edit.... I see that the left side of the gun says BAT. I will ask tomorrow at the match.

Here is another view:
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Dubi in
./showthread.php?p=187​02984&i=i31899026
forum: Still Life, B/W & Experimental

BAT is a manufacturer of bolt actions, and probably other bits too, we don't always get to see all the products from manufacturers over here in the UK, just not enough market for them. Would be really interested to know the details of those rifle builds though. So if you can ask that would be brilliant thanks.

Alan

LoneRider
Goldmember
1,609 posts
Gallery: 212 photos
Joined Dec 2010
Post edited 5 months ago by LoneRider.

Sep 08, 2018 18:06 |  #4136

Had some left over French toast from breakfast so decided to whip up a Monte Cristo sandwich for lunch. Double decker with Roast Beef, Turkey, Bacon, Lettuce, and Tomato.

I also believe this is possibly the world’s first Meal Protection pic featuring a P365

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-vDqk862/0/478b1b0d/XL/i-vDqk862-XL.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://waynesworld.sm​ugmug.com …tion/n-8Dz3GH/i-vDqk862/A  (external link)

Wayne...
~I don't suffer from gear ADD, I embrace and enjoy it...~
GEAR LIST

peteg1
Goldmember
1,375 posts
Gallery: 173 photos
Joined Apr 2008

Sep 08, 2018 18:18 |  #4137

LoneRider wrote in post #18703650 (external link)
Had some left over French toast from breakfast so decided to whip up a Monte Cristo sandwich for lunch. Double decker with Roast Beef, Turkey, Bacon, Lettuce, and Tomato.

I also believe this is possibly the world’s first Meal Protection pic featuring a P365

Have you had any issues with the P365.

Zenfolio (external link)
Gear List

LoneRider
Goldmember
1,609 posts
Gallery: 212 photos
Joined Dec 2010
Post edited 5 months ago by LoneRider.

Sep 08, 2018 18:34 as a reply to  @ peteg1's post |  #4138

None whatsoever. I have two of them, both have manufacture dates of late June. Have put about 350 rounds through each with a variety of ammo types. One one of them, the first magazine and the first time I shot it, I had one failure to eject. I am pretty sure it was me riding the slide lock though as I was a figuring out best way to grip.

Wayne...
~I don't suffer from gear ADD, I embrace and enjoy it...~
GEAR LIST

Dubi
236 posts
Joined Dec 2017

Sep 08, 2018 21:20 |  #4139

HOSTED PHOTO

Dsully
501 posts
Gallery: 151 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Mar 2014

Sep 09, 2018 05:54 |  #4140

IMAGE: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1885/44550041951_a9b07f124b_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2aSJ​Bnz  (external link) 302A0580-Edit.jpg (external link) by Dsully (external link), on Flickr

sponsored links

973,332 views & 2,910 likes for this thread
Post your gun shots here
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Still Life, B/W & Experimental 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.