Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 02 Sep 2018 (Sunday) 15:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lightroom or Capture one?

James ­ Crockett
201 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2017

Sep 02, 2018 15:38 |  #1

I'm looking for another editing software to go with photoshop cs6. Which do you recommend? thank you!

sponsored links
tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,452 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Sep 02, 2018 23:50 |  #2

Explain, please, what you want to obtain by replacing ACR 9.1.1.

Elie / אלי

drmaxx
Goldmember
1,113 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jul 2010
Post edited 5 months ago by drmaxx.

Sep 03, 2018 01:24 |  #3

I just switched from LR6 to C1. Main reasons were performance issues with LR6 and the pressure Adobe put on the new cloud based rental model.
I am not quite sure if LR solved their performance issue. However, the bottom line will be: Both have a capable DAM and can produce very similar results in terms of desired look and feel. In my opinion C1 is (more expensive and) substantially more difficult to master - but also provides many degrees of freedom. Probably the biggest difference of the two are that C1 provides layers and the colour control is absolutely staggering.

Donate if you love POTN

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,289 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Post edited 5 months ago by digital paradise.

Sep 03, 2018 06:44 |  #4

It is little tough to understand what you mean by to go with. Something compatible or something else to work with. I have PS, LR and DXO PL. Even though I can export a file from LR to DXO for editing and send it back the two are not compatible. A little more info would be helpful.

Until then if you want something to "go with" CS6 then LR. They are like peas and carrots. LR6 perpetual license is still available for purchase I expect until 2019 and then like CS6 (which became PS CC few years ago) will be pulled off the shelf.

Don't know how old your camera/s are but any that were released before January 2018 can still read RAW files. Not sure if you currently use DNG files for CS6 or you can still open RAW files. Essentially LR6 will have the latest updates compared to CS6. CS6's last update was about 3 years ago.

If you want the latest versions then there is Adobe CC which a subscription plan but that isn't for everyone. Some don't like the idea of paying $10 a month. You get latest versions PS CC19.1.6 and LR7.5 plus a few more goodies like a free website, etc.

The other top ones as mentioned are C1 Pro and DXO PL is popular. There are others and free ones like DarkTable. There are pixel editors (CS6, Affinity) and image editors (LR, DXO). What are your needs?

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
9,236 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Sep 03, 2018 07:17 |  #5

if you are opposed to CC subscription, Capture One is a good alternative. I use it for 90 percent of my editing and switch over to Ps CS for more detailed pixel editing and mask/layer work.

Ultimately I will probably end up with Capture One and Affinity Photo instead of CC.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,289 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 03, 2018 07:21 |  #6

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18699245 (external link)
if you are opposed to CC subscription, Capture One is a good alternative. I use it for 90 percent of my editing and switch over to Ps CS for more detailed pixel editing and mask/layer work.

Ultimately I will probably end up with Capture One and Affinity Photo instead of CC.

The OP may not need a subscription plan. No response to indicate if happy with CS6 or not. If happy then LR6 is more than enough. If looking for something completely different then yes C1 is a good option. Still don't know what the purpose of additional software is.

Image Editing OK

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,452 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Sep 03, 2018 10:54 |  #7

digital paradise wrote in post #18699247 (external link)
No response to indicate if happy with CS6 or not. If happy then LR6 is more than enough. Still don't know what the purpose of additional software is.

If the OP has PSCS 6, he has ACR 9.1.1 (assuming that he has updated it to the last version for CS6) which is functionally the exact equivalent of the image editing module of LR 6.1.1. Purchasing LR6 would give him access to updates through to LR 6.14, but those would only provide camera and lens support to the end of 2017; no new editing features. If he has a recent model camera that is unsupported in 6.1.1, he could get wider (to Aug. '18) support through the DNG Converter without the expenditure.

Elie / אלי

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,289 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 03, 2018 14:53 |  #8

Yeah before going subscription I used LR6 with CR2 files and CS6 with DNG. I also used LR's transfer to PS command and it went there as a TIFF, and then saved back to LR. That was the only real continuity. If just for photo editing and no need for the advanced design stuff it would work that way.

Image Editing OK

ejenner
Goldmember
3,696 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Sep 03, 2018 20:13 |  #9

I use C1 and CS6 and quite like the combination. Although C1 does produce an intermediate .tiff file when opening a raw, file in CS6, one you have the .psd file you can delete the .tiff and just open the .psd from C1 (and see the preview in C1).

Personally I don't think C1 is hard to learn, but I guess that depends on your tolerance for spending time actually learning a software. For someone who uses PS I would think it would not be that arduous. I think it took me 40 hours or so to get proficient in C1. PS I'm still learning stuff.

Edward Jenner
5DIII, 7DII, M6, GX1 II,M11-22, Sig15mm FE,16-35 F4,TS-E 17,Sig 18-250 OS Macro,M18-150,24-105,T45 1.8VC,70-200 f4 IS,70-200 2.8 vII,Sig 85 1.4,100L,135L,400DOII.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/48305795@N03/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/edward.jenner.372/p​hotos (external link)

F2Bthere
Goldmember
1,029 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Sep 07, 2018 23:15 |  #10

Capture One is a significantly better RAW processor than LR. Download the free trial and see for yourself on your own images.

I could list the many features I value, but a search on this forum will give you the same information. But that information will not give you what you will get from your own direct experience with the software.

I will suggest you compare how it renders your files. Do try the shadow and highlight sliders. They are in a panel called HDR but fear not. They are fantastic for recovering information in files and have saved some images I couldn't make usable with LR.

There is more to learn in Capture One because it has more power, but you don't need to learn it all to use it. Many of the features have similar names. Exposure, Highlights, Shadows, Brightness and White Balance are all you must learn to get started.

I used LR for many years from version one and have been using PS since I bought it in 1996. I am on the CC subscription, so I still have LR and check out new features every now and again.

C&C always welcomed...
On my images, of course, and on my words as well--as long as it's constructive :).
https://www.instagram.​com/storyinpictures_co​m/ (external link)

James ­ Crockett
THREAD ­ STARTER
201 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2017

Sep 24, 2018 19:48 |  #11

Hey guys sorry for the late reply. I can't thank you enough for all the comments. I don't know if this is normal but I have edited images with ACR and open the image in Photoshop and the picture will be a little different than I edited in ACR. I see alot of people use either LR or Capture One and thought to give it a try. Thanks and hope all is well.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,219 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 4 months ago by Wilt. (2 edits in all)

Sep 24, 2018 20:29 |  #12

drmaxx wrote in post #18699116 (external link)
I just switched from LR6 to C1. Main reasons were performance issues with LR6 and the pressure Adobe put on the new cloud based rental model.
I am not quite sure if LR solved their performance issue. However, the bottom line will be: Both have a capable DAM and can produce very similar results in terms of desired look and feel. In my opinion C1 is (more expensive and) substantially more difficult to master - but also provides many degrees of freedom. Probably the biggest difference of the two are that C1 provides layers and the colour control is absolutely staggering.

F2Bthere wrote:
Capture One is a significantly better RAW processor than LR. Download the free trial and see for yourself on your own images.

I recently read an article about workspaces, and 8 bit in JPG vs. 12-/14-bit RAW data in cameras, and 16 bit workspaces...in it the article disclosed that when 'pushing' exposures, there is more one EV wider latitude in the Adobe products than in Capture One.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Alveric
Goldmember
4,584 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Sep 24, 2018 20:37 |  #13

Yet the 'recovered' highlights in LR look like muddy crap, whilst C1P's recovery actually does recover. I've plenty of latitude in C1P to the left and to the right. And frankly, if the image was properly exposed in the first place, exposure latitude shouldn't be a concern.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

ejenner
Goldmember
3,696 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Sep 24, 2018 20:55 as a reply to  @ Alveric's post |  #14

My experience is that if I've actually blown the highlights a bit (or maybe I'm just really,really close) ACR seems to do a better job, but for most cases where I have 'normal' blown out highlights from ETTR conversion to .jpeg, then I do like C1P better.

My personal opinion/experience is that Adobe does better at filling in highlight details that you missed.

Edward Jenner
5DIII, 7DII, M6, GX1 II,M11-22, Sig15mm FE,16-35 F4,TS-E 17,Sig 18-250 OS Macro,M18-150,24-105,T45 1.8VC,70-200 f4 IS,70-200 2.8 vII,Sig 85 1.4,100L,135L,400DOII.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/48305795@N03/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/edward.jenner.372/p​hotos (external link)

Alveric
Goldmember
4,584 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Sep 24, 2018 22:10 |  #15

Still not convinced. Unfortunately, not having access to the latest version of LR, I can't make a comparison. However, I've seen quite a number of photos around on these forums where I can readily tell that the photographer is using LR, just by looking at the 'recovered' blown highlights: there's always that smudgy look, like poorly erased 4B pencil scribbles.

The image below was a difficult exposure: the sun was behind the building, obscuring the foreground and lighting up the sky too much. Situations like this woulda have some people scrambling for HDR. As a matter of fact, I did bracket my shots, in case I had to blend two images in PS—one for the foreground and one for the sky:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.
Photo from Alveric's gallery.

In the end, I was able to come up with a good result using a single image in C1P. Yes, there are some small patches in the sky which were blown to pure white, and C1P recovered nothing, but it didn't muddle them either. And they are so small that they are acceptable. Shadow recovery worked wonderfully as well. I still think that this building woulda been better shot in the afternoon, but I was traveling and I had to work with what I got in the morning.

For comparison, this is the image without highlight or shadow recovery:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

sponsored links

3,908 views & 3 likes for this thread
Lightroom or Capture one?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.