Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
Thread started 22 Jan 2008 (Tuesday) 22:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

post your pictures of bridges

Inspeqtor
Chet,You are a genius
7,225 posts
Gallery: 80 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Sep 09, 2018 01:21 |  #1801

Ray.Petri wrote in post #18703841 (external link)
Good morning again.
Here a couple of shots of Aylesford bridge in the county of Kent UK.
The first taken on my Leica M3 c1962 (Using a 50mm f2 Sumicron - The data does not allow for the correct lens to be added) And there was no GPS data either at the time and l would have to have got the sextant out or climbed to my nearest trig points - or something like that. Or perhaps I used a survey map.
The second taken two days ago.
I tried to get the same angle etc: I even managed to catch the high tide and some clouds in the sky.

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Ray.Petri in
./showthread.php?p=187​03841&i=i57961655
forum: Nature & Landscapes

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Ray.Petri in
./showthread.php?p=187​03841&i=i117453943
forum: Nature & Landscapes

Looks to me like you got them pretty dang close to each other!

Charles
Canon EOS 60D Gripped * Canon EOS XSi * Flickr Account (external link)
Tokina AT-X Pro DX 11-20 f/2.8 * Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 DC Macro OS * Sigma 150-500 f5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM
Canon 18-55 IS Kit Lens * Canon 70-300 IS USM * Canon 50mm f1.8 * Canon 580EX II

sponsored links
avondale87
Goldmember
3,292 posts
Gallery: 365 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 09, 2018 01:31 |  #1802

Ray.Petri wrote in post #18703841 (external link)
Good morning again.

Ray I agree with my Aussie compatriot these are very interesting.
I see there is a water mark much higher on the newer photo. But that would then put the footpath at right under water.

Interesting the stand-off bays (assumed) on each pier and the metal ties.

How old is it?
I find them interesting on several accounts.

Keep them coming. You do a good job.

Richard

Ray.Petri
Goldmember
1,774 posts
Gallery: 237 photos
Joined Mar 2005

Sep 09, 2018 02:47 |  #1803

Thanks for comments
Pippan
Inspecqtor
Avondale
I will post you all a more detailed reply later. The river on the last image is the Medway.
I looks like domestic duties are evolving here fast - like for instance - Granddaughter wanting me to go on a trip to London with her - if I can't talk her out of it. That's an idea - more bridges across the Thames. But I do like time to compose and think about an image.

Ray-P

lijoec
992 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Sep 09, 2018 09:07 |  #1804

IMAGE: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1860/44571246271_fe79eb6ca0_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2aUB​hFi  (external link) IMG_7553 (external link) by Joseph Colozzo (external link), on Flickr

Cheers,
Joe
"Image Editing OK"

WhidbeyHiker
Goldmember
1,883 posts
Gallery: 55 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2013

Sep 09, 2018 20:14 |  #1805

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Ray.Petri
Goldmember
1,774 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Sep 10, 2018 02:08 |  #1806

Inspeqtor wrote in post #18703849 (external link)
Looks to me like you got them pretty dang close to each other!

Yep! I assume that you examined my bridge for the joins (In the editing, I mean). Well Photoshop CS6 does a really good job stitching bits of a jig-saw together. It sometimes needs a little help though and it can be a bit time-consuming.
I just had to clone in a bit of sky. When it's all stitched up the normal cropping and image editing techniques can be applied.

Ray-P

Squa7ch2112
154 posts
Gallery: 119 photos
Joined Aug 2017

Sep 10, 2018 02:20 |  #1807

Quincy Bayview Bridge in Quincy, IL. 1x1 crop of an older shot.

HOSTED PHOTO

https://www.flickr.com​/photos/olimar87/ (external link)
https://www.instagram.​com/cjohns_photo/ (external link)

Ray.Petri
Goldmember
1,774 posts
Joined Mar 2005
Post edited 6 months ago by Ray.Petri.

Sep 10, 2018 03:06 |  #1808

avondale87 wrote in post #18703855 (external link)
Ray I agree with my Aussie compatriot these are very interesting.
I see there is a water mark much higher on the newer photo. But that would then put the footpath at right under water.

Interesting the stand-off bays (assumed) on each pier and the metal ties.

How old is it?
I find them interesting on several accounts.

Keep them coming. You do a good job.

Hi Avondale Thanks for comments.

The River Medway is very prone to flooding and when it frequently does, a lot of damage to local property occurs as you can well imagine. Various flood defences have been put in place, but...…..

I can remember when we able to actually drive across the bridge - that don't seem so long ago, either.

The stand-off bays are refuges for pedestrians to stand in to avoid getting run over. It would have been by horse-drawn vehicles originally. Now, If you can let your imagination run away a bit, you can imagine Chaucer's Canterbury Pilgrims clip-clopping across the bridge on their horses and donkeys, the poorer ones being on foot, of course.

The iron X ties are, I guess just to hold the whole thing together - some fairly heavy traffic was using it before it closed to vehicles. This is a fairly common type of bridge construction used throughout Kent and most other parts of the country I expect.

I will post in the next couple of weeks a couple of a picture of a monastery about 0.75miles down the river of showing the changes made after one particularly devastating flood - I can't date that flood though.

Here is a picture of the other side of the bridge and the history plate with the details.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Ray-P

avondale87
Goldmember
3,292 posts
Gallery: 365 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 10, 2018 03:33 as a reply to  @ Ray.Petri's post |  #1809

Thanks for the update. Old old origins.
Certainly interesting bridge.

Richard

Ray.Petri
Goldmember
1,774 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Sep 10, 2018 04:30 |  #1810

Pippan wrote in post #18703848 (external link)
It's really fascinating to see these photos with more than half a century between them, Ray. Thanks so much for posting them. I'm astonished at how little change there's been. Certainly can't say that about my town (well, Cyclone Tracy in '74 blew most of it away).

Thanks Pippan for your comments.

I am glad I kept some of my old negatives. When you are younger it is difficult to imagine how things will change infrastructure-wise. Everything seemed so permanent then. It is interesting to see the changes over time and sometimes, a short space of time.
I find it very annoying to drive into a town I haven't visited for about a year and work my way around new one-way systems, new bus lanes and parking regulations. And, in two of my nearest local towns English is almost becoming a third language.

Most of our villages seem to be hanging onto their character (at the moment at least). However most towns seem to have changed beyond recognition in some cases - with new motorways, rail tracks and new housing estates cropping up everywhere to accommodate the influx of refugees from the rest of the world.

I have just posted a couple of pics half hour earlier that may interest you.

Regards Ray

Ray-P

Pippan
Goldmember
1,424 posts
Gallery: 85 photos
Joined Oct 2015

Sep 10, 2018 07:12 |  #1811

Ray.Petri wrote in post #18704646 (external link)

I am glad I kept some of my old negatives. When you are younger it is difficult to imagine how things will change infrastructure-wise. Everything seemed so permanent then. It is interesting to see the changes over time and sometimes, a short space of time.
I find it very annoying to drive into a town I haven't visited for about a year and work my way around new one-way systems, new bus lanes and parking regulations. And, in two of my nearest local towns English is almost becoming a third language.

Most of our villages seem to be hanging onto their character (at the moment at least). However most towns seem to have changed beyond recognition in some cases - with new motorways, rail tracks and new housing estates cropping up everywhere to accommodate the influx of refugees from the rest of the world.

Regards Ray

Well this village appears to have hung on to its character well. To me it looks quintessentially English. A horse and cart would not look out of place at all.

— Please feel free to offer your thoughts on how I might improve my images —

Pippan
Goldmember
1,424 posts
Gallery: 85 photos
Joined Oct 2015

Sep 10, 2018 07:23 |  #1812

Ray.Petri wrote in post #18704646 (external link)

Regards Ray

Actually, if you are interested in how my town changed in the 40 years since the cyclone, check out this series of photos taken from the same spot (by photographer John Donegan) as various photos taken of the cyclone's aftermath in 1974. http://www.abc.net.au …-before-and-after/5907246 (external link). This was the third highly destructive cyclone in Darwin's short history and along with over 70 WWII bombing raids you can be sure there is not much old infrastructure left.

— Please feel free to offer your thoughts on how I might improve my images —

3jc
337 posts
Gallery: 145 photos
Joined Jun 2013

Sep 10, 2018 18:06 |  #1813

Henely Street Bridge, Knoxville, TN.

HOSTED PHOTO

flickr (external link)
Instagram: https://www.instagram.​com/jccustom/ (external link)

Ray.Petri
Goldmember
1,774 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Sep 10, 2018 23:50 |  #1814

Capn Jack wrote in post #18697825 (external link)
Charlestown bridge, Boston, MA, USA

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://www.flickr.com …/album-72157700042183124/  (external link)
JAK_8575 (external link) by Jack Silver (external link) on Flickr

Blimey Capn Jack. It takes all kinds of bridges to make a world - but this looks like a cluster of rusty iron nobody knew quite what to with. So someone - who had spent an extended lunch break in the pub - said "I know, Lets make a bridge out of it". And got a medal, probably.
Only joking Capn Jack. Nice to see them all.

Ray-P

Ray.Petri
Goldmember
1,774 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Sep 11, 2018 00:27 |  #1815

Pippan wrote in post #18704699 (external link)
Actually, if you are interested in how my town changed in the 40 years since the cyclone, check out this series of photos taken from the same spot (by photographer John Donegan) as various photos taken of the cyclone's aftermath in 1974. http://www.abc.net.au …-before-and-after/5907246 (external link). This was the third highly destructive cyclone in Darwin's short history and along with over 70 WWII bombing raids you can be sure there is not much old infrastructure left.

Hi Pippan. I clicked your link. WOW! What devastation. And what a restoration project to bring it to what it is now. I liked the way the images let you pull the curtain to reveal the regenerated view. You can see some characteristics have been retained if you look carefully. Very good.
Also, I didn't realise you guys 'down under' were getting bombed in WWII! Tell me more!

Ray

Ray-P

sponsored links

417,323 views & 4,031 likes for this thread
post your pictures of bridges
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.