Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 05 Sep 2018 (Wednesday) 02:31
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "How's the new EOS-R stack up for you?"
It's Amazing!
26.5%
It's kind of a let down
33.8%
It's trash
8.5%
It's good for the price
23.5%
It helped me pick a new body
7.7%

189 voters, 260 votes given (3 choices choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

EOS-R - It's out. Thoughts?

this thread is locked
AS_Photo
139 posts
Joined Sep 2018

Sep 11, 2018 18:17 |  #691

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18705909 (external link)
Cards get corrupted quite a bit even today with today's tech. ;)

In all my years of shooting, I've never had a corrupted card. One corrupted image. That is all. But still, redundancy would be ideal. I tend to copy the images from my cards to a portable drive while I'm out on extended trips.

sponsored links
TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,589 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited 6 months ago by TeamSpeed. (3 edits in all)

Sep 11, 2018 18:21 |  #692

AS_Photo wrote in post #18705924 (external link)
In all my years of shooting, I've never had a corrupted card. One corrupted image. That is all. But still, redundancy would be ideal. I tend to copy the images from my cards to a portable drive while I'm out on extended trips.

You are pretty lucky then. I have tossed about 4 cards, mostly sandisk, one was a sony pro card. Either corrupted, or the plastic housing just falls apart preventing insertion of the card (or requires surgical extraction), or the card goes into a locked mode because the r/w tab breaks. The latter two issues won't cause lost images because either I couldn't get the card in, or I couldn't record to a card, but that does introduce some downtime as I go pull other cards from the card safe attached to my hardcase, usually not near me.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

AS_Photo
139 posts
Joined Sep 2018

Sep 11, 2018 18:25 |  #693

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18705926 (external link)
You are pretty lucky then. I have tossed about 4 cards, mostly sandisk, one was a sony pro card. Either corrupted, or the plastic housing just falls apart preventing insertion of the card (or requires surgical extraction), or the card goes into a locked mode because the r/w tab breaks. The latter two issues won't cause lost images because either I couldn't get the card in, or I couldn't record to a card, but that does introduce some downtime as I go pull other cards from the card safe attached to my hardcase, usually not near me.

I do tend to replace the cards every few years. They do have limited write cycles before they wear out. Too expensive to lose photos.

Talley
Talley Whacker
11,064 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Sep 11, 2018 18:41 |  #694

Your shoot count is probably 10-15x more than the average joe so perhaps that should take into account.

A7rIII | A7III | 12-24 F4 | 16-35 GM | 28-75 2.8 | 100-400 GM | 12mm 2.8 Fisheye | 35mm 2.8 | 85mm 1.8 | 35A | 85A | 200mm L F2 IS | MC-11
My Gear Archive

mcoren
624 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Mar 2015

Sep 11, 2018 18:42 |  #695

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18705790 (external link)
I don't think this is priced either for the casual shooter to want to move to FF from crop or other FF either. So where this camera really sits seems to be a bit confused at this point.

I think the point of this camera isn't to be a "Sony killer" or anything like that. This is only Canon's first entry into the high-end mirrorless product space. IMO, positioning it here gets the attention of advanced amateurs and pros, people who like to scrutinize specs. Not for the purpose of getting lots of sales, but to get people looking at it and talking about it (for 47 pages and growing).

I consider myself to be in the "enthusiast" camp, so I usually ignore product announcements in the $3000+ range. But a $2300 body like this, while not something I would buy in its current form, looks interesting enough to have me posting about it and thinking that I might eventually get something like this... *if* they change a few things.

I think that's really the point of the EOS R, to put something out there and get feedback from this community. I'm willing to bet people from Canon are following these discussions, and the discussions on FM and the comments on YT. So keep talking about the changes you want to see. There will be more bodies in the future.

I see the EOS R like the EOS 650: A competent--albeit limited--mid-range first entry in what will (hopefully) become a very successful product line.

Mike

Canon EOS 7D Mark II, EOS M5, and EOS 100 (film SLR)
A bunch of Canon lenses and a couple of Sigmas
A backpack, a bicycle, and a pair of hiking boots

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,523 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 11, 2018 19:13 |  #696

The Sony killers will come at the next release

Guaranteed

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

gossamer88
"something else"
1,040 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Joined Aug 2014

Sep 11, 2018 19:24 |  #697

umphotography wrote in post #18705965 (external link)

Guaranteed

But what is next for Sony? Do they have something up their sleeve that Sony users want/need?

Canon 5D Mark IV | Tamron 24-70mm G2 | Tamron 70-200mm G2 | 85mm 1.8 | 50mm STM | 35mm f/2 IS | Powershot G9 X | iPhone 7
flickr (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
9,337 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Sep 11, 2018 19:25 |  #698

do you keep your cards a long time?

I typically retire cards regularly and buy 2-4 a year. I do a ton of tethered shooting and my in the field shooting is not demanding at all, so I get to buy middle of the road cards, so it's pretty easy to just chuck them after a year or so.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Talley
Talley Whacker
11,064 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Sep 11, 2018 19:25 |  #699

umphotography wrote in post #18705965 (external link)

Guaranteed

What do we get back when the guaranteed runs out? Like... is this a money back type kind of thing? :)

I'll be sure to bookmark this post for future use :P

A7rIII | A7III | 12-24 F4 | 16-35 GM | 28-75 2.8 | 100-400 GM | 12mm 2.8 Fisheye | 35mm 2.8 | 85mm 1.8 | 35A | 85A | 200mm L F2 IS | MC-11
My Gear Archive

rantercsr
Goldmember
2,891 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Sep 11, 2018 19:39 |  #700

"Dslr video shooter" put out a video on this camera.
He has a 6 week loaner just like everyone else that attended canons hawaii event.

His answer to "who is this camera for?" , i thought was interesting

He says they made this camera for Themselves (canon).
Giving it just enough to make people considering going to sony stay,.. and hope for more .. and possibly bring back some that left canon but never wanted to leave .

He had a lot of positive thoughts on the camera

Ill he honest.. im becoming more and more curious about this camera.
But i admit , my curiosity is easily enticed;-)a (i already own pana/sony/fuji)

Yes it lacks some things ..
A mirrorless with an e shutter that only does on frame per press?.. wtf canon?

Well this certainly wouldnt be my main.. but as casual/fun/travel camera ?..

I got a couple of Cameras and lenses ...Canon, Sony, Fuji, Pansonic, pentax
My portraits IG (external link)My everything else IG (external link)
MY flickr (external link)
My latest YT video -->https://youtu.be/YzJ1o​eiHm7Y (external link)

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
15,564 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 11, 2018 19:48 |  #701

rantercsr wrote in post #18705982 (external link)
"Dslr video shooter" put out a video on this camera.
He has a 6 week loaner just like everyone else that attended canons hawaii event.

His answer to "who is this camera for?" , i thought was interesting

He says they made this camera for Themselves (canon).
Giving it just enough to make people considering going to sony stay,.. and hope for more .. and possibly bring back some that left canon but never wanted to leave .

He had a lot of positive thoughts on the camera

Ill he honest.. im becoming more and more curious about this camera.
But i admit , my curiosity is easily enticed;-)a (i already own pana/sony/fuji)

Yes it lacks some things ..
A mirrorless with an e shutter that only does on frame per press?.. wtf canon?

Well this certainly wouldnt be my main.. but as casual/fun/travel camera ?..

that GAS must be fed :twisted:

I'de love to try it myself, and I'm sure a few fellow canon shooters will get one, at least I hope they do.

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - CV 21/3.5 - FE 35/2.8 - SY 35/1.4 AF - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
7,025 posts
Gallery: 69 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Sep 11, 2018 19:52 |  #702

Talley wrote in post #18705971 (external link)
What do we get back when the guaranteed runs out? Like... is this a money back type kind of thing? :)

I'll be sure to bookmark this post for future use :P

We all know Sony will have a A7r4 and A9mk2 sooner than later. I wonder what they'll be adding to their future camera bodies. Regardless Sony knows "Sony" shooters will scoop them up like candy. Also non Sony shooters will jump on the bandwagon (me included).

I'm torn because I own a bag of Canon glass. Weight savings isn't the biggest deal for me now. It's the versatility of having EF glass that I can adapt to a Canon body LOL!!

Reading this thread has peaked my interest but I know deep down inside it will take Canon 2-3 revisions to catch up to even the Sony A7iii I already own. RF glass is in it's infancy so I do not think Canon can produce RF glass fast enough to switch previous Canon users that have jumped to Sony.

Let us see how real world buyers say about the EOS R ;)

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 50-140 | TT685
Sony A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | GM16-35 f/2.8 | Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 | GM70-200 f/2.8 |Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS

joeseph
"smells like turd"
9,828 posts
Gallery: 100 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Sep 11, 2018 20:16 |  #703

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18705790 (external link)
I just think if Canon had released this and then also advertised their roadmap for this new model line, it would be better.

On the other hand, if they did that, they could find that less people buy the R because they can see a better option a little further down the line.

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,589 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Sep 11, 2018 20:51 |  #704

joeseph wrote in post #18706005 (external link)
On the other hand, if they did that, they could find that less people buy the R because they can see a better option a little further down the line.

Well, a few days later, in an interview with Canon, they did exactly that. They stated that there would be one lower and one higher than the EOS-R. I keep seeing folks thinking that there will be 2 higher models, but that isn't what seemed to be put out there by the Canon exec.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
15,564 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 11, 2018 20:53 |  #705

joeseph wrote in post #18706005 (external link)

when you're the top of the hill, you dont need no roadmap, keep people guessing, change plans if needed.

Nikon is struggling, so they need to stop the bleeding.

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - CV 21/3.5 - FE 35/2.8 - SY 35/1.4 AF - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

sponsored links

115,794 views & 1,660 likes for this thread
EOS-R - It's out. Thoughts?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.