Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 05 Sep 2018 (Wednesday) 02:31
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "How's the new EOS-R stack up for you?"
It's Amazing!
26.5%
It's kind of a let down
33.8%
It's trash
8.5%
It's good for the price
23.5%
It helped me pick a new body
7.7%

189 voters, 260 votes given (3 choices choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

EOS-R - It's out. Thoughts?

this thread is locked
RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
12,917 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004
Post edited 7 months ago by RDKirk.

Sep 11, 2018 20:54 |  #706

sploo wrote in post #18705416 (external link)
Exactly. If the camera knows the lens model/name then it can discern whether it's an EF or EF-S lens; regardless of age.

However, I'd assume there might be a specific flag in the lens identification to indicate if it's an EF-S lens; otherwise a brand new design of EF-S lens on even a current body (whose firmware was released before the introduction of that lens) wouldn't work correctly, as the camera wouldn't be able to look up the model number/name.

Probably a good test will be when someone mounts a few third party crop lenses on an EOS R; if they're detected as crop lenses then I assume there must be a flag (that should be set correctly by the third party manufacturer), as I doubt Canon would have added lots of third party lenses to the R's database.

It's easy (and expected) to update the camera's lens database from the online source. Just start up EOS Utility and plug in the camera. Do it when you buy a newly released lens.

It ought to be possible for 3rd party lensmakers to duplicate this process--to provide a utility and an online source for their own lenses that can be run in the same way to update cameras as EOS Utility does.

sponsored links
TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,672 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Sep 11, 2018 20:56 |  #707

Charlie wrote in post #18706030 (external link)
when you're the top of the hill, you dont need no roadmap, keep people guessing, change plans if needed.

Nikon is struggling, so they need to stop the bleeding.

That isn't how corporations work... they definitely have a roadmap, and are actively engaged at different points in development on multiple fronts.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
15,634 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 11, 2018 21:05 |  #708

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18706034 (external link)
That isn't how corporations work... they definitely have a roadmap, and are actively engaged at different points in development on multiple fronts.

Referring to a public roadmap, hence the Nikon reference.

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - CV 21/3.5 - FE 35/2.8 - SY 35/1.4 AF - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

mcoren
625 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Mar 2015

Sep 11, 2018 21:17 |  #709

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18706034 (external link)

Indeed. Hardware features such as sensors, number of card slots, and body construction require development that is planned well in advance. Many features, however, are implemented in firmware, and can be added or fine-tuned on shorter notice, based on feedback from the marketplace.

Mike

Canon EOS 7D Mark II, EOS M5, and EOS 100 (film SLR)
A bunch of Canon lenses and a couple of Sigmas
A backpack, a bicycle, and a pair of hiking boots

Talley
Talley Whacker
11,078 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Sep 11, 2018 21:39 |  #710

Charlie wrote in post #18706030 (external link)
when you're the top of the hill, you dont need no roadmap, keep people guessing, change plans if needed.

Nikon is struggling, so they need to stop the bleeding.

releasing a $6k 50mm .95 manual focus only lens is stop the bleeding???

A7rIII | A7III | 12-24 F4 | 16-35 GM | 28-75 2.8 | 100-400 GM | 12mm 2.8 Fisheye | 35mm 2.8 | 85mm 1.8 | 35A | 85A | 200mm L F2 IS | MC-11
My Gear Archive

patrick ­ j
Goldmember
1,256 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 11, 2018 22:11 |  #711

ksbal wrote in post #18705793 (external link)
Fro also thinks this may be the start of the end of the DSLR - the EVF was so good even Kelby liked it a lot, and is taking the camera with him for a 2 month trip.

I read this at Ken Rockwell's page a couple of days ago, this was specifically about the EOS R. Whatever you might think of him, this sounds correct, I don't see that a mirror adds anything to a camera if you think of it that way -

I've been shooting for over fifty years. I can tell what's a significant game-changer and what's just the usual baloney from marketing departments. Mirrorless is the future and you're looking right at it.

New DSLRs will still come out and still be sold in the coming years, just as new 35mm rangefinder cameras were still bought and sold through the 1960s, but SLRs and DSLRs have ruled the world since the 1970s and now it's mirrorless' decade as of the 2020s.

We'll will still have new DSLRs sold for several years to people who still want to milk what life they can out of their old systems while Canon and Nikon develop complete mirrorless lens lines, but in ten years, DSLRs will have gone the way of film.

Flickr (external link)

Solpics11
30 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined May 2018

Sep 12, 2018 01:21 |  #712

On Canon's website it lists the shipping date of October 9th for the camera and a couple of the lens. That's sooner than I thought.

https://shop.usa.canon​.com …VK-3470&PRO=&CID=1-XH1BN1 (external link)

Dlee13
Goldmember
3,808 posts
Gallery: 538 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Sep 12, 2018 02:00 |  #713

Solpics11 wrote in post #18706144 (external link)
On Canon's website it lists the shipping date of October 9th for the camera and a couple of the lens. That's sooner than I thought.

https://shop.usa.canon​.com …VK-3470&PRO=&CID=1-XH1BN1 (external link)

It's quite interesting because usually the shipping date is quite a bit after the announcement and Nikon have theirs announced and shipping faster.

I wonder if the quick turn around time is to get as many sales as they can before they announce the higher end model...

Sony Alpha A7III - Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art - Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 - Sony FE 90mm f/2.8 Macro
Sony FE 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 16-35mm f4L IS -
Canon EOS M5 - Canon EF-M 32mm f/1.4 - Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 - Canon EF 11-22mm f/4-5.6 STM

Blog (external link) | Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link)

artsf
373 posts
Gallery: 73 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2015
Post edited 7 months ago by artsf. (2 edits in all)

Sep 12, 2018 02:02 |  #714

preordering has started. Everyone who actually tried handling the camera liked it a lot. If you are thinking of getting one, consider 24-105 bundle because this lens won’t be available standalone until at least December. I did exactly that. From what I am reading, rf 24-105 seems to be the best lens in this range on the market optically and also best OIS and nano USM. I will have an opportunity to evaluate the camera and lenses hands-on this Friday. If I like its handling and performance much more than my 5div, then preorder stays and 5d goes on sale. Unfortunately, 35mm f1.8 won’t be available until December. On paper, I consider EOS R a significant upgrade from 5div in every way that matters to my hybrid shooting.

artsf
373 posts
Gallery: 73 photos
Joined Sep 2015

Sep 12, 2018 02:12 |  #715

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18706026 (external link)
Well, a few days later, in an interview with Canon, they did exactly that. They stated that there would be one lower and one higher than the EOS-R. I keep seeing folks thinking that there will be 2 higher models, but that isn't what seemed to be put out there by the Canon exec.

I find it hard to imagine folks interested in lower models, not much can be taken away really; besides Canon seems to position EOS R as a premium system as opposed to more budget friendly EF mount that is not going anywhere.

rogue.guineapig
THREAD ­ STARTER
302 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Sep 12, 2018 02:26 |  #716

patrick j wrote in post #18706075 (external link)
I read this at Ken Rockwell's page a couple of days ago, this was specifically about the EOS R. ...

We'll will still have new DSLRs sold for several years to people who still want to milk what life they can out of their old systems while Canon and Nikon develop complete mirrorless lens lines, but in ten years, DSLRs will have gone the way of film.

Gone the way of film... like coming back with surprising interest? :twisted: (Sorry, I'm a film shooter!).

Here's an interesting thought though...
in a way this is all coming full circle. SLRs were not the original professional 35mm camera...mirrorless rangefinders were (thinking of the Leica I or Leica Ia here). 35mm started mirrorless... and 35mm sensors are going back to it.

Hm... might ruminate on that some...late night thoughts.

Canon 6D w/MagicLantern, 16-35 f/2.8LII, 100mm f/2.8L, 70-200 f/2.8LII, 300mm f/4L, and a lot of luck

mccamli
591 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 12, 2018 02:27 |  #717

artsf wrote in post #18706148 (external link)
I find it hard to imagine folks interested in lower models, not much can be taken away really; besides Canon seems to position EOS R as a premium system as opposed to more budget friendly EF mount that is not going anywhere.

If the more budget friendly system is a crop sensor version with faster AF and many more FPS I could see it being very popular.

Flickr (external link)
500PX (external link)
Facebook (external link)

rogue.guineapig
THREAD ­ STARTER
302 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Sep 12, 2018 02:35 |  #718

Hugh B delivers his thoughtful analysis..perhaps the most thoughtful yet.
https://youtu.be/MIrrl​Fu5ynM (external link)

Canon 6D w/MagicLantern, 16-35 f/2.8LII, 100mm f/2.8L, 70-200 f/2.8LII, 300mm f/4L, and a lot of luck

Ah-keong
974 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Joined Apr 2016
Post edited 7 months ago by Ah-keong.

Sep 12, 2018 03:44 |  #719

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18705629 (external link)
I believe he was a Nikon ambassador about 4 years ago and then switched to Canon.

Some of his answers make sense, like get an SL2 if you want to save weight, it is lighter than many of the mirrorless. However his other answers are quite flippant, and quite frankly I (and most others) don't care about how we used to shoot with one card, the norm now has been 2 slots for several years now. This is why the 1D series has had dual slots, and as Canon makes the other models more "pro" oriented like the 5D3/5D4 and 7D2, those have dual slots.

If Canon didn't want the EOS-R to be considered as a pro camera, they should have found a way to market this a bit better. They came out and said that the 6D was a consumer level FF, they should have done the same here with the EOS-R and clearly called out their roadmap going forward. However instead, they say that the EOS-R is a mid-level (but one slot). That isn't consistent with the 7D2/5D series having two slots also being mid level. Canon is full of inconsistencies!

sometimes I shoot using live view mode like a mirrorless camera. It's a hybrid DSLR and Mirrorless with the Canon's dual pixel AF.

sometimes I do not understand the weight / volume issue when the glass is considered altogether with the body from a solution perspective.  :p

Canon 7D2+grip | 18-35mm ART | EF-S 10-18mm | EF 70-200mm f/2,8L IS II | ZE 2/100mm | ZE 2/35mm | ZE 1,4/85mm | CV 3,5/20mm | Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2,8D | DC-Nikkor 105mm f/2D |
Olympus E-PL3 | 7-14mm f/2,8 |
Speedlite 430EX III-RT | 600EX-RT | YN 600EX-RT |
Manfrotto BeFree Travel Tripod |

sploo
premature adulation
2,404 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011

Sep 12, 2018 03:47 |  #720

RDKirk wrote in post #18706031 (external link)
It's easy (and expected) to update the camera's lens database from the online source. Just start up EOS Utility and plug in the camera. Do it when you buy a newly released lens.

It ought to be possible for 3rd party lensmakers to duplicate this process--to provide a utility and an online source for their own lenses that can be run in the same way to update cameras as EOS Utility does.

Yes to the camera manufacturer releasing camera firmware updates for new lenses, but the only way a third party could do it would be to either hack that process, or if the OEM provided an open protocol/format for adding lenses to a camera's database. I suspect that the latter wouldn't happen as the OEMs do seem to prefer closed systems.

Camera, some lenses, too little time, too little talent

sponsored links

118,659 views & 1,660 likes for this thread
EOS-R - It's out. Thoughts?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.