Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
Thread started 11 Sep 2018 (Tuesday) 22:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Three easy-to-access RMNP lakes!

Daggah
111 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Sep 11, 2018 22:20 |  #1

These three lakes might just be some of the easiest to access in Rocky Mountain National Park. I was there for the Labor Day weekend...so much traffic to the Bear Lake parking lot the morning I was there!

IMAGE: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1869/44472721262_4b64e7215c_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2aKU​jCf  (external link)
Sprague Lake Sunset (external link) by David Gevert (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1897/44503811452_5fd7e3ee49_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2aND​EE1  (external link)
Last Light over Sprague Lake (external link) by David Gevert (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1873/44528277862_2c87ef97ba_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2aQP​4EE  (external link)
Nymph Lake Sunrise Panorama (external link) by David Gevert (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1864/42814998200_fe32a6527a_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/28eq​4j9  (external link)
Bear Lake in Morning Light (external link) by David Gevert (external link), on Flickr

Nikon D850/FE and Fuji X-T2
flickr (external link)
Instagram (external link)
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,819 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 11, 2018 22:24 |  #2

They're great!

I hope to visit RMNP within the next week or so, and you've given me some great ideas about what to go see when the Elk rutting behavior is slow.

Thank you!

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Daggah
THREAD ­ STARTER
111 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Sep 11, 2018 22:31 |  #3

Yeah, so at the Bear Lake parking lot, there's a trail that goes to four different lakes. The altitude kicked my butt and I stopped at the second one (Nymph Lake) but they're all beautiful. Just get there early, because there's several trailheads from that parking lot and it's a very popular RMNP spot.

flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,819 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 11, 2018 22:36 as a reply to  @ Daggah's post |  #4

As you walked to and around the lakes, did you happen to see any rabbits or hares?

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Daggah
THREAD ­ STARTER
111 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Sep 11, 2018 22:40 |  #5

I saw some elk right by the road (and way too many people stopped to photograph them) but I don't remember seeing much other wildlife other than some birds. I'm not a wildlife photographer though so I wasn't really paying much attention to that when I was out there.

flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

patrick ­ j
Goldmember
1,237 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 11, 2018 23:18 |  #6

You are a brave lad venturing up there on Labor Day weekend :-)

Tom - I don't know if you are familiar with RMNP or not, if not, a suggestion or two - if you have some time try Loch Vale, and another one that I haven't tried but intend to, Chasm Lake, that's right up against Longs Peak. That might be a bit longer.

Flickr (external link)

dixiedawn
223 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Aug 2008
Post edited 5 months ago by dixiedawn.

Sep 12, 2018 14:01 as a reply to  @ Tom Reichner's post |  #7

Beautiful images, David, and amazed you managed to get any without a horde of people in the image. I was there first week of October 2016 and there were people everywhere.

Sprague is definitely the easiest, and it is a nice lake to wander around. I don't know about rabbits or hares, Tom, but I know I saw a weasel there Oct 2016, right along the path between parking and the lake.

debbie

AS_Photo
139 posts
Joined Sep 2018

Sep 12, 2018 14:13 |  #8

Dream Lake isn't that hard either, keep going past Nymph. Little more strenuous but not bad at all.

Daggah
THREAD ­ STARTER
111 posts
Joined Jun 2014

Sep 12, 2018 14:24 |  #9

AS_Photo wrote in post #18706587 (external link)
Dream Lake isn't that hard either, keep going past Nymph. Little more strenuous but not bad at all.

Yeah, next time for sure. I was also hiking up before sunrise and wanted to make sure I was in place for the good light, which is one more reason I stopped at Nymph lake.

flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,819 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 12, 2018 14:42 |  #10

patrick j wrote in post #18706100 (external link)
Tom - I don't know if you are familiar with RMNP or not, if not, a suggestion or two - if you have some time try Loch Vale, and another one that I haven't tried but intend to, Chasm Lake, that's right up against Longs Peak. That might be a bit longer.

Thanks for the tips!

sponsored links

607 views & 5 likes for this thread
Three easy-to-access RMNP lakes!
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.