Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup 
Thread started 31 Aug 2018 (Friday) 20:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Finally had a Memory Card Failure -- SanDisk Extreme 128gb....

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
23,005 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

Aug 31, 2018 20:42 |  #1

while I was uploading my files from my CF card to my computer the screen went blank. I checked the card and it was also blank. I bought a recovery program from the net for $70. it recovered some old files but not the ones from that day.

So I went to the Sandisk site and bought it's Recovery Pro program for $39 and it worked! retrieved my files. tested that card the next day after formatting and it was fine. but the next day it went blank again.

I called Sandisk and discovered the card had a 3-year unconditional warranty. the rep said they would warranty the card even without proof of purchase but it might take longer. With proof of purchase and pictures of both sides of the card Sandisk emailed me a paid return label the next day.

so cards do fail. even the best. I have always only used SanDisk, a local company, and I will continue to. great no-hassle service!

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L III, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15mm FE, 35mm ef-s macro, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L, gitzo GM4562, markins Q10, markins Q3, kirk, really right stuff, sirui

sponsored links
sogs
158 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Sep 02, 2018 09:40 |  #2

I'm curious as to what you mean. Did your card show up on your computer? Can you see it in explorer? The reason I ask is I have a failed Sandisk card from about 3 years ago and I have not done anything with it. At the time I was taking pictures my camera had a readout of some sort stating something was wrong. My card does not show up at all in explorer. It is not recognized at all. I was going to send it to a recovery company but haven't done it yet. So I'm curious as to if your card shows up in explorer and just doesn't list any photos or if it is not recognized at all.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
8,621 posts
Joined May 2003

Sep 02, 2018 10:22 |  #3

ed rader wrote in post #18697607 (external link)
so cards do fail. even the best. I have always only used SanDisk, a local company, and I will continue to. great no-hassle service!

SanDisk is very reputable but as to "local company", a bit of a stretch. The back of the packaging reads...

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

ed ­ rader
THREAD ­ STARTER
23,005 posts
Joined May 2005
Post edited 6 months ago by ed rader.

Sep 02, 2018 11:18 as a reply to  @ John from PA's post |  #4

oh it's a local company. the card is coming from Milpitas, not China. Apple is also a local company. the "spaceship" is being built in Cupertino, not Shenzen.

5D4, 80d, 16-35L III, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15mm FE, 35mm ef-s macro, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L, gitzo GM4562, markins Q10, markins Q3, kirk, really right stuff, sirui

ed ­ rader
THREAD ­ STARTER
23,005 posts
Joined May 2005

Sep 02, 2018 11:24 as a reply to  @ sogs's post |  #5

I was downloading my card and saw the files disappear from my screen. when I re-opened the card it was blank. the files were still on the card obviously as I was able to download them. this took about 30 minutes. if you haven't formatted the card or rewritten over the files I would try the sandisk RescuePro.

ed ­ rader
THREAD ­ STARTER
23,005 posts
Joined May 2005

Sep 03, 2018 02:44 |  #6

ok got a confession to make. I had the same problem tonight with another card. completely lost all the files on a different card while downloading.

so, to date I've never had a card failure -- I think :lol:.

it has to be the card reader. no more cheapies for me. I reloaded the card with files after formatting it and downloaded them directly from the camera. no problem. i'll do this a few more times to make sure. I also ordered a Sandisk card reader from Amazon.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
8,621 posts
Joined May 2003
Post edited 6 months ago by John from PA. (2 edits in all)

Sep 03, 2018 03:36 |  #7

ed rader wrote in post #18699145 (external link)
ok got a confession to make. I had the same problem tonight with another card. completely lost all the files on a different card while downloading.

so, to date I've never had a card failure -- I think :lol:.

it has to be the card reader. no more cheapies for me. I reloaded the card with files after formatting it and downloaded them directly from the camera. no problem. i'll do this a few more times to make sure. I also ordered a Sandisk card reader from Amazon.

I take note that in your original post you mentioned the issue was with a CF card. Get yourself a small but bright light and look into the "socket" of the reader. About an inch in you should see a double row of pins, 25 in each row. Check to make sure that none are bent.

Very carefully check the pin area on the cards as well. If any of the "holes" look damaged best to consider tossing the card. If the card socket in the camera needs to be replaced its about $300.

ed ­ rader
THREAD ­ STARTER
23,005 posts
Joined May 2005

Sep 03, 2018 11:08 as a reply to  @ John from PA's post |  #8

the card reader looks fine and remember this happened with two different cards. i'll never use this reader again or any cheap one. i had one of these before that failed as well as a couple of others over the years and the built in reader on my computer quit working a few years ago, as the one before it did.

my buddy seldom removes a card from his camera and always downloads directly with a cable. i'm starting to think he's on to something.

Croasdail
making stuff up
7,116 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2005

Sep 03, 2018 11:59 as a reply to  @ ed rader's post |  #9

I had this happen and it was absolutely positively the card reader.. It corrupted the FAT table on the card and that was the end of that. And yes, I was able to rebuild the FAT with a 3rd party tool, but still.

The other times I have seen this is I use canon and sony gear. I've seen the same thing when I've popped an unformatted canon disk into the sony. Same fix. But still.

Mark
Its by knowing and mastering all the rules that you learn which ones you can break.

sogs
158 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Sep 03, 2018 13:34 |  #10

ed rader wrote in post #18698589 (external link)
I was downloading my card and saw the files disappear from my screen. when I re-opened the card it was blank. the files were still on the card obviously as I was able to download them. this took about 30 minutes. if you haven't formatted the card or rewritten over the files I would try the sandisk RescuePro.

I can't recover something that is not recognized. That's why I asked.

Archibald
You must be quackers!
8,047 posts
Gallery: 347 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Sep 03, 2018 13:54 |  #11

sogs wrote in post #18699490 (external link)
I can't recover something that is not recognized. That's why I asked.

If you insert the card into the camera, can you review the pics? Have you tried different card readers and different computers?

Sony RX10 IV, Canon 7D2, Canon 77D, assorted Canon lenses
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

Jotto123
113 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Sep 03, 2018 18:48 |  #12

I've had files disappear from a card once.

I believe it was from a card I reused. Since then I only use a card once.

6d - 135L - 85mm 1.8 - 50mm 1.8 - 35Art

Archibald
You must be quackers!
8,047 posts
Gallery: 347 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008
Post edited 6 months ago by Archibald.

Sep 03, 2018 19:55 |  #13

Jotto123 wrote in post #18699720 (external link)

Is the risk of loss less with a new card?

They say electronic gadgets tend to fail more early in their life.

Sony RX10 IV, Canon 7D2, Canon 77D, assorted Canon lenses
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
8,621 posts
Joined May 2003

Sep 04, 2018 04:54 |  #14

Jotto123 wrote in post #18699720 (external link)

Can you clarify what you do? There is absolutely no reason to use a quality card once!

Pirate65
44 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Sep 12, 2018 00:16 as a reply to  @ Jotto123's post |  #15

Who can afford to use a new card with every shoot!

Kevin Reid
Kevinreidphotography.c​om

sponsored links

2,182 views & 3 likes for this thread
Finally had a Memory Card Failure -- SanDisk Extreme 128gb....
FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.