Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 05 Sep 2018 (Wednesday) 02:31
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "How's the new EOS-R stack up for you?"
It's Amazing!
26.5%
It's kind of a let down
33.8%
It's trash
8.5%
It's good for the price
23.5%
It helped me pick a new body
7.7%

189 voters, 260 votes given (3 choices choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

EOS-R - It's out. Thoughts?

this thread is locked
ksbal
Goldmember
2,743 posts
Gallery: 374 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Sep 2010

Sep 12, 2018 12:32 |  #796

umphotography wrote in post #18706433 (external link)
No definite word on how any adapters from canon will work with existing L lens

Until that is defined, the EOS-R will remain a question mark for many, including myself

Have you watched Jared Polins review? (fro knows photo)

He tested it out with a 70-200mm lens on the adaptor. "No issues" " just works"

Godox/Flashpoint r2 system, plus some canon stuff.

sponsored links
05Xrunner
Goldmember, Flipflopper.
5,732 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined Dec 2005
Post edited 5 months ago by 05Xrunner.

Sep 12, 2018 12:33 |  #797

AS_Photo wrote in post #18706506 (external link)
I wouldn't pay that for a charger. I'd just use the external charger. I get why some would like something that charges the camera directly - i.e. timelapse work.

you just dont get it. IT DOESNT WORK WITH ANYTHING BUT THE $190 CANON CABLE. you cant plug ANYTHING ELSE IN TO CHARGE OR POWER IT. Thats what PROPRIETARY CABLE MEANS

My gear
Fuji X-T2, Fuji 18-55 2.8-4 OIS, Fuji 35 f2, Fuji 56 1.2, Fuji 90 f2, Fuji 55-200 3.5-4.8 OIS
Sony RX100 II

05Xrunner
Goldmember, Flipflopper.
5,732 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined Dec 2005

Sep 12, 2018 12:45 |  #798

ksbal wrote in post #18706507 (external link)
Have you watched Jared Polins review? (fro knows photo)

He tested it out with a 70-200mm lens on the adaptor. "No issues" " just works"

but then I saw Photorec video and Kai both saying they had issues with the EF adapted glass where it wouldnt AF and be buggy. So it sounds like its not fool proof like everyone thinks since canon made the adapter

My gear
Fuji X-T2, Fuji 18-55 2.8-4 OIS, Fuji 35 f2, Fuji 56 1.2, Fuji 90 f2, Fuji 55-200 3.5-4.8 OIS
Sony RX100 II

AS_Photo
139 posts
Joined Sep 2018

Sep 12, 2018 12:50 |  #799

05Xrunner wrote in post #18706510 (external link)
you just dont get it. IT DOESNT WORK WITH ANYTHING BUT THE $190 CANON CABLE. you cant plug ANYTHING ELSE IN TO CHARGE OR POWER IT. Thats what PROPRIETARY CABLE MEANS

Uhm...it uses the LP-E6N. Take it out, put it on charger. I think it is you who doesn't get it. Not sure why you are yelling at me and making a jerk of yourself.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,379 posts
Gallery: 98 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited 5 months ago by TeamSpeed.

Sep 12, 2018 12:55 |  #800

Charlie wrote in post #18706502 (external link)
when you have a 350 battery rating, it can come in handy as hell. Most of the time, I dont carry spare batteries or spare SD cards. Not saying that the feature is totally necessary, but it's one of those things where once you try it, it can become so nice. Sort of like wireless charging on your phone...... soooooooooo nice. Wish my camera could do wireless charging!

All my power bricks are several times the size of my LP-E6 batteries. I have small ones all the way up to ones that can jumpstart my vehicle. I don't have any issues today making sure one small pocket in my camera bag have batteries, and I always have 2 in my pocket. I am sure the battery life will be better than the currently published number too.

Also, a good quality solar panel and a dual battery charger from a USB connection are handy tools as well. :)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

StarJack
601 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Sep 12, 2018 13:04 |  #801

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18706343 (external link)
1- Canon and Nikon release their first FF mirror-less systems to luke warm reception, and half the internet predicts the immediate demise of the SLR. Don't you think we need a little more time perfecting the mirrorless before SLR is dead? Even the most prolific SONY advocates on the forum are claiming that the A7RIII can't match the responsiveness of the 5D4. Won't the SLR and Mirrorless live side by side for a long time as two different tools?

Rumors of the demise of the DSLR are greatly exaggerated. (But the pattern certainly repeats itself.)

On the value side of things, I'm curious to see where the pricing lands on the "entry" and "pro" level of the EOS-R camera...

Regards,
Steve

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
9,251 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Sep 12, 2018 13:16 |  #802

Battery fight!!!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
15,467 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 12, 2018 13:19 |  #803

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18706527 (external link)
All my power bricks are several times the size of my LP-E6 batteries. I have small ones all the way up to ones that can jumpstart my vehicle. I don't have any issues today making sure one small pocket in my camera bag have batteries, and I always have 2 in my pocket. I am sure the battery life will be better than the currently published number too.

Also, a good quality solar panel and a dual battery charger from a USB connection are handy tools as well. :)

I travel with 6 ipads, and 2 phones, and 1 charger for ALL of those devices, which also works with my cameras (yes I take 2 cameras for travel!).

Jump starter is a little overkill, but I do take 1 or 2 20,000mah packs as well.

I take the spaghetti monster charger, the 10 port sabrent usb charging station.

in my scenario, bringing an extra charger here and there can quickly get out of hand.

Battery life will be better than CIPA ratings, but it's quite short compared to DSLR, my R2 has ballpark cipa rating, and you have to be extra careful with battery life, where you can be careless with DSLR battery life and get away with it for the most part. If you act like the mirrorless cam is like a DSLR, you'll find yourself drained out of batteries soon rather than later. I just dont like carrying spares because I tend to misplace them. I'm currently missing a 64GB somewhere among my many bags....

Sony A7rii/A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - CV 21/3.5 - FE 35/2.8 - SY 35/1.4 AF - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

gossamer88
"something else"
1,037 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Joined Aug 2014

Sep 12, 2018 13:25 |  #804

B&H LIVE Panel Discussion:

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=YU2ngPExP04 (external link)

Canon 5D Mark IV | Tamron 24-70mm G2 | Tamron 70-200mm G2 | 85mm 1.8 | 50mm STM | 35mm f/2 IS | Powershot G9 X | iPhone 7
flickr (external link)

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
2,574 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Sep 12, 2018 13:27 |  #805

umphotography wrote in post #18706327 (external link)
Its the hope and prey method by cropping into the shot.- Hey It locked and hit focus so lets crop into the files and do something with the shot

Vs

Ive got 500MM on this baby, I can track it and frame it and know i have 10-12 from a FPS bust that will work

FPS is served well by low sensor pixel counts at this point in time, but crop modes with denser sensors are also faster than the full dense sensor, if not quite as fast as you might hope.

I mean thats the difference and I think this is why you see guys like tom who shoot wildlife and sports shooters like Red dog opt for optics VS sensor crop ability

Which is better optics; a 400/4 or a 200/2, both limited mainly by diffraction wide open (which is therefore their sweet spots)?

A camera with 4x the pixel density for the 200/2 than one for the 400/2 will have the same pixels-on-subject, light-from subject, and light per pixel. It will allow a FOV twice as wide, though, when needed.

Maybe I have this wrong in my thinking. I get crop-ability but I would not use that as a determining factor to consider a camera to buy

I might be wrong in my thinking

Wondering what other would choose here

I think we are better served to buy optics at this point and time with the camera sensors

What about both?

Talley
Talley Whacker
11,061 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Sep 12, 2018 14:42 |  #806

I didn't say the high MP and 200/2 was the sole reason for the camera. It's one plus that I've come to appreciate is the ability to crop when needed with little to no loss in IQ over a say 30mp camera.

So many factors goes into the why's. Dont' use that as one example as my "sole" reason for owning anything.

A7rIII | A7III | 12-24 F4 | 16-35 GM | 28-75 2.8 | 100-400 GM | 12mm 2.8 Fisheye | 35mm 2.8 | 85mm 1.8 | 35A | 85A | 200mm L F2 IS | MC-11
My Gear Archive

tigerotor77w
Goldmember
1,563 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 12, 2018 15:02 |  #807

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18705909 (external link)
The 5D3, 5D4, and 7D2 all have 2 slots. If Canon had come out marketing this the same way they did the 6D, then expectations would have been lower for this camera. However that is not how the press release came off IMO. Cards get corrupted quite a bit even today with today's tech. ;)

Dual slots serve multiple purposes:
- serving raw to one and JPG to the other allows faster playback from one over the other, and also faster wifi transfer from the JPG
- saving from one and falling over to the other allows double the space to store into
- serving the same file to each (or the first point above) allows redundancy

So there is a level of flexibility and risk management allowed by dual slots. Again this is pretty much a entry-level mirrorless FF, despite Canon alluding to the fact that there will be one even lower than this offered at a later date. Since this is really that entry level FF, many of us probably won't buy it as it doesn't do enough for what we shoot. This is unfortunate because I am ready to jump into mirrorless, so now either I wait again, or I look at other options. I think there are MANY in that same boat.

There is alot to like and I look forward to trying this out, but I doubt I will buy one just to play with it for a while and use it periodically. There are better options to do that, but then I have a bit of a lens quandry, so I am in a limbo state again. I await all the FM and POTN hands on reviews once this makes it to the masses! :)

To the last point, :cheers: -- me, too!

About the slots: I don't disagree with you that more flexibility is not a bad thing... I would have liked two slots, too, but if the reviews are positive in general I'm not sure having one slot would stop me from getting an EOS R. I think in general there's a bit too much sensationalism placed around getting the last 10% when most people, like it or not, are going to use a camera in automatic (and probably only put one card in the camera anyhow!).

My two cents, of course. This was a good discussion!

Photo blog (external link) | Gear

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,806 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 12, 2018 16:31 as a reply to  @ post 18706327 |  #808

I agree with you, Mike, that it is much better to shoot with the optics that allow one to frame the image the way one wants to, than to shoot wider than one wants and then crop.

In my experience, and for my desired results, significant cropping usually yields sucky results.

It's not just about having a certain amount of pixels on target. There's much more to it. Shooting wide and then cropping messes with the POV that you shoot from, and it also screws up the depth of field.

The way I feel is, get close enough and shoot with the focal length that allows you to fill the frame the way you really want to. If you can't do that, then just forget about it and don't bother shooting until everything is just right. I don't mind passing up shots - if they're not going to be great shots, then I don't want them, anyway.

I realize that others feel differently, and that's fine with me. I'm simply expressing my views on this issue. I have no interest in taking pictures to preserve memories. I do it because I want to create eye candy.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,459 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 12, 2018 18:03 |  #809

05Xrunner wrote in post #18706522 (external link)
but then I saw Photorec video and Kai both saying they had issues with the EF adapted glass where it wouldnt AF and be buggy. So it sounds like its not fool proof like everyone thinks since canon made the adapter

exactly

nothing is solid info yet

and jared tested in bright light in Maui

low light seems to be this issues mirrorless

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

samueli
Goldmember
1,011 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Sep 12, 2018 18:31 |  #810

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18706664 (external link)
I agree with you, Mike, that it is much better to shoot with the optics that allow one to frame the image the way one wants to, than to shoot wider than one wants and then crop.

That's the art in photography. As much as I personally enjoy the post work to a degree, that's not the essence of photography.

sponsored links

112,981 views & 1,660 likes for this thread
EOS-R - It's out. Thoughts?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.