Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
Thread started 05 Aug 2018 (Sunday) 21:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Does mirrorless do anything for you?

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,788 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 1 year ago by Wilt.

Sep 12, 2018 18:58 as a reply to  @ post 18706745 |  #736

I have not used 4 year old reviews...I noted in the previous post that even recent opinions (June 2018, August 2018) have been fairly consistent about dissatisfaction

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

sponsored links
mickeyb105
Goldmember
2,537 posts
Gallery: 397 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Sep 12, 2018 18:59 |  #737

N2bnfunn wrote in post #18706741 (external link)
Yup like I said until it happens I am going to stick to what I said. It is Not a Professional Grade Camera period. It is very nice camera mid range or maybe a little better. But not a professional grade.

I have friend that shoots with a Sony mirrorless camera all the time in shooting models and I have told him the same.

It is impressive how wrong you are.

Sony A99ii, RX-100ii, Sonnar T* 135mm f1.8 ZA, Planar T* 50mm F1.4 ZA, 24mm f/2 SSM Distagon T*, Minolta HS 200 2.8 APO, Minolta 2xTC APO, HVL-F43M
Flickr (external link)

mystik610
Cream of the Crop
9,014 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2012

Sep 12, 2018 19:10 |  #738

Wilt wrote in post #18706747 (external link)
I have not used 4 year old reviews...I noted in the previous post that even recent opinions (June 2018, August 2018) have been fairly consistent about dissatisfaction

It's fairly consistent if you're looking for negative posts. It's called selective bias :-)

My experience has been very positive

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α7ʀIII
Zeiss Loxia 21 - Canon 24-70 2.8LII - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - Sony 50 1.8 - Sony 85GM - Sigma 135 f1.8 ART

Wilt
41,788 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Sep 12, 2018 19:15 |  #739

mystik610 wrote in post #18706757 (external link)
It's fairly consistent if you're looking for negative posts. It's called selective bias :-)

My experience has been very positive

Yes, what you say is true. But Canon service (Costa Mesa) overall average is 4 stars, while Precision's overall average score is 1.5 stars.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

soeren
Whoops Im not updated
673 posts
Joined Nov 2017

Sep 12, 2018 21:41 |  #740

Wilt wrote in post #18706763 (external link)
Yes, what you say is true. But Canon service (Costa Mesa) overall average is 4 stars, while Precision's overall average score is 1.5 stars.

Is that on Trustpilot? :)

If history has proven anything. it's that evolution always wins!!

Osa713
Goldmember
1,425 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Sep 12, 2018 22:08 |  #741

Wait my camera is not professional grade? Talley will be heartbroken when he finds this out....

LIGHT>LENS>BODY

Wilt
41,788 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Sep 12, 2018 22:14 |  #742

soeren wrote in post #18706846 (external link)
Is that on Trustpilot? :)

y'mean that web site that itself seems questioned about its authenticity in its own right?

DTBaan
"male gigolo"
14,079 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Apr 2011
Post edited over 1 year ago by DTBaan.

Sep 12, 2018 22:28 |  #743

N2bnfunn wrote in post #18706741 (external link)
Yup like I said until it happens I am going to stick to what I said. It is Not a Professional Grade Camera period. It is very nice camera mid range or maybe a little better. But not a professional grade.

I have friend that shoots with a Sony mirrorless camera all the time in shooting models and I have told him the same.

Sony A7R II&III and A9 are professional cameras as well as their top lens. you just can't seem to accept it.

no, i'm not being a fanboy. I love all sorts of brand.

If you want to talk canon, 6D, 5D, 7D would be considered a professional grade. And if you compare 'sony' to them, sony holds up well against them. Some would say the sony a7&9 are superior, some would say the 5d/dslr is superior. Either way, both are professional grade. I would say that the dslr can take more beating compared to a mirrorless, but again, they are still professional grade.

so lets drop that stubbornness thought that mirrorless are not considered professional grade and get with the program.

would you consider film camera professional grade?

mystik610
Cream of the Crop
9,014 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Jan 2012
Post edited over 1 year ago by mystik610.

Sep 13, 2018 05:23 |  #744

Wilt wrote in post #18706763 (external link)

Precision doesn't just handle Pro Services repairs....they do non Sony repairs too and the service level with the non Pro Services stuff was pretty bad in the past. Sony needs to up their service level agreement up with the non Pro stuff if they haven't already.

That said, you were talking Sony Pro Services...and the service level there is top-notch and actually better than Canon. Turnaround times are faster, free overnight shipping both ways, and a lot more interaction with an actual human.

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α7ʀIII
Zeiss Loxia 21 - Canon 24-70 2.8LII - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - Sony 50 1.8 - Sony 85GM - Sigma 135 f1.8 ART

N2bnfunn
713 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2010
Post edited over 1 year ago by N2bnfunn.

Sep 13, 2018 10:05 as a reply to  @ DTBaan's post |  #745

Ok the best way to put this is like comparing a Porsche vs a Tesla oh yeah Tesla is a fast expensive car and oh yeah it will kept up with the Porsche for a while until you get way down the road then goodbye, but the bottom line it is NOT A PORSCHE

The Canon 1DX and 1DXII and the Nikon D5 these are the Porsches

Sony Mirrorless are the Tesla. Nice but not a Porsche

Mirrorless camera RIGHT NOW are the electric cars of today. You will never see a Indycar Nascar driver in a electric car.

And by the way guess what else is mirrorless My iPhone

Canon EOS R EF 70-200 L 2.8 L 24-70 2.8L II Canon Pixma PRO-1 3 Canon 600EX-RT Speedlites

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
16,070 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 13, 2018 10:06 |  #746

N2bnfunn wrote in post #18707066 (external link)
Ok the best way to put this is like comparing a Porsche vs a Tesla oh yeah Tesla is a fast expensive car, but the bottom line it is NOT A PORSCHE

Mirrorless camera RIGHT NOW are the electric cars of today. You will never see a Indycar Nascar driver in a electric car.

More like the Minivans

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,277 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Sep 13, 2018 10:23 |  #747

Ok the best way to put this is like comparing a Porsche vs a Tesla oh yeah Tesla is a fast expensive car and oh yeah it will kept up with the Porsche for a while until you get way down the road then goodbye, but the bottom line it is NOT A PORSCHE

So how does Leica M fit into your thought process?

elitejp
Goldmember
1,762 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Sep 13, 2018 10:37 |  #748

I think the thought process is just write a bunch of nonsense and see how many responses he gets.

6D; canon 85mm 1.8, Tamron 24-70mm VC, Canon 135L Canon 70-200L is ii

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,877 posts
Gallery: 146 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 13, 2018 10:42 |  #749

airfrogusmc wrote in post #18707084 (external link)
So how does Leica M fit into your thought process?

They are so rare and obscure that they aren't even in my thought process.

I think that when 99% of photographers think about the "DSLR vs. mirrorless" debate, they are thinking only about the more mainstream cameras. Over 99% of serious photographers will never ever consider buying a Leica camera, so they aren't part of the debate or the thought process for the vast vast vast majority of us.

Leicas are more of a super-rare, specialty, extreme niche product that only one tenth of one percent of all photographers will ever even consider. In fact, I don't believe that at any time in my life I have even seen a Leica camera ...... not even at an antique store or any such place.

I can't even think of a brand of automobile to compare it to. Are there any auto manufacturers that only produce a few thousand units a year?

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

soeren
Whoops Im not updated
673 posts
Joined Nov 2017
Post edited over 1 year ago by soeren.

Sep 13, 2018 10:47 |  #750

Yep

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

If history has proven anything. it's that evolution always wins!!

sponsored links

37,945 views & 388 likes for this thread
Does mirrorless do anything for you?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.