Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 27 Apr 2016 (Wednesday) 14:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1D X Mark II Owners Unite! Discuss & Post Photos

Lame-Duck
Cream of the Crop
9,439 posts
Gallery: 356 photos
Joined Jul 2006

Sep 04, 2018 17:21 |  #4591

ruhikant wrote in post #18700138 (external link)
Just before the impact. 1DX mark II, at 1000mm (EF500+2XTC), handheld.

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by ruhikant in
./showthread.php?p=187​00138&i=i242684254
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by ruhikant in
./showthread.php?p=187​00138&i=i7001766
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Both are spectacular shots.

LD, or Mike
Often mistaken, but never in doubt.

sponsored links
Red ­ Dog
855 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Feb 2007

Sep 06, 2018 11:53 |  #4592

apersson850 wrote in post #18699568 (external link)
Eh, why not responding here, so more people can see it?

Use the wizard for your first EOS Utility Connection. It will ask the relevant questions, and I've never seen it fail (provided EOS Utility is installed in the computer you try to connect to).
Then you store that setup in the camera, and provided you have the same environment the next time, it will find the computer as soon as you turn on communications at all. If you connect both camera and computer to some infrastructure network, and that's completely different the next time, you may need to use the wizard again to establish the connection.

Setting up a connection to an FTP server is more complex, so we leave that to if you want to take advantage of what that kind of connection does better.

Ok. Procured a new cat6 RJ45 cable plus an adapter to connect the cable to the USB3 port on the laptop. Enabled the communications on the camera and selected EOS Utility as the connection mode. The wizard sorted out the required communication channels and eventually EOS Utility opened and we got a connection and I was able to take images as before and transfer them immediately via zoombrowser to the laptop screen.
That took several minutes to establish the connection and start the shooting process. I've since turned the camera off and re-booted the laptop and tried the re-connection. I'm finding its not really instant. The LAN light flashes on the camera body whilst it tries to establish a connection and nothing happens on the laptop. After a couple of minutes of flashing lights the EOS Utility opens on the laptop and the flashing LAN light becomes a solid green colour and its ready to use.
Is it normally this slow once the connection has been established or is there anything else I can do to speed the process up. The laptop is reasonably hi spec with 12gb RAM and the normal usb connection process, when it works, is almost instantanteous.

www.portadownfc.co.uk (external link)
Canon 1DX +1D Mkiv - Canon 300 IS F2.8 + Sigma 70-200 F2.8 & 120-300 f2.8
My Gallery: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/actionpix/ (external link)

Red ­ Dog
855 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Feb 2007

Sep 06, 2018 12:19 |  #4593

Red Dog wrote in post #18701736 (external link)
Ok. Procured a new cat6 RJ45 cable plus an adapter to connect the cable to the USB3 port on the laptop. Enabled the communications on the camera and selected EOS Utility as the connection mode. The wizard sorted out the required communication channels and eventually EOS Utility opened and we got a connection and I was able to take images as before and transfer them immediately via zoombrowser to the laptop screen.
That took several minutes to establish the connection and start the shooting process. I've since turned the camera off and re-booted the laptop and tried the re-connection. I'm finding its not really instant. The LAN light flashes on the camera body whilst it tries to establish a connection and nothing happens on the laptop. After a couple of minutes of flashing lights the EOS Utility opens on the laptop and the flashing LAN light becomes a solid green colour and its ready to use.
Is it normally this slow once the connection has been established or is there anything else I can do to speed the process up. The laptop is reasonably hi spec with 12gb RAM and the normal usb connection process, when it works, is almost instantanteous.

Sorted. Found someone else with the same issue. Apparently its to do with the IP address of the camera. If the IP address is set as auto during the connection process it takes time to allocate a new address. If the IP address is input manually then it only takes a few seconds for the process of connection to be completed. I noted the auto IP address which the wizard had first created, and then went through the connection process again but selected manual IP address and input it again. The camera to laptop connection was almost instant.
Happy days. :-D

www.portadownfc.co.uk (external link)
Canon 1DX +1D Mkiv - Canon 300 IS F2.8 + Sigma 70-200 F2.8 & 120-300 f2.8
My Gallery: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/actionpix/ (external link)

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
11,953 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 07, 2018 02:31 |  #4594

That was what I would have suggested too, but I didn't read your question until you found the answer yourself.
I frequently use this feature at work, where my computer is connected to the building's network. I connect the camera to that network too. The computer's address is set to automatic, but the DHCP server allocates the same IP to the same computer, if it recognizes it from previous connections. It's only if the IP is occupied by something else the computer gets a new one, and in these cases, I may have to redo the connection through the wizard.

I have setups with cable and WiFi connection stored in the camera, so it's usually only a question about selecting the proper one for the day. I have a WFT-E6B on the camera too, so I can go wireless, if I like to.

Anders

David ­ Stallard
Goldmember
1,176 posts
Gallery: 91 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Sep 08, 2018 13:00 |  #4595

Quick question for you guys - I shoot only stills with my mkII, 99% track side racing! up until now I use just a CF card, my worry is if a card breaks down / corrupts part way through a day and I lose all the shots, CFast are silly expensive BUT do I really need an ultra fast one if it is just for a 'duplicate backup' and can I set it to continuously overwrite itself or wipe it after each shoot?

AND - going by that - what do you recommend please, thanks in advance

.DAVID.

EOS box that goes click and some tubes with glass in them on the front.
http://www.davidstalla​rdphotography.com/ (external link)

sploo
premature adulation
2,402 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011

Sep 08, 2018 17:32 |  #4596

David Stallard wrote in post #18703450 (external link)
Quick question for you guys - I shoot only stills with my mkII, 99% track side racing! up until now I use just a CF card, my worry is if a card breaks down / corrupts part way through a day and I lose all the shots, CFast are silly expensive BUT do I really need an ultra fast one if it is just for a 'duplicate backup' and can I set it to continuously overwrite itself or wipe it after each shoot?

.DAVID.

There are many "buts" (all sorts of potential issues based on the internal architecture of the camera) but, in theory, the cards should be the bottleneck (i.e. the camera's internal memory, and interface to the cards, should be "waiting" for the cards). As such, if you're writing the same data to two different cards simultaneously then the time it takes you to run out of buffer should depend only on the slowest card. There may be a tiny bit of overhead, but in some testing I did with a 5D4 (various CF and SD cards) the performance was essentially that of the slowest card.

I.e. if the CFast card you use is at least as fast as your CF card then you shouldn't see any reduction in performance. I don't have any experience with CFast cards, but I assume they're likely all quicker than CF.

Camera, some lenses, too little time, too little talent

LJ3Jim
Goldmember
1,034 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Sep 08, 2018 20:16 |  #4597

I record to both cards somewhat frequently. I don't notice any reduction in the 14 fps, but my bursts rarely exceed 3 seconds (the 1DX2 can supposedly do about 15 seconds at 14 fps). After transferring to a computer, I have the camera format one or both cards (I generally rotate the CFast card, and keep the same CF card). I use Sandisk Extreme Pro and Lexar 3500 CFast cards.

Image editing ok; C&C always welcome.

Chris_R
181 posts
Gallery: 27 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Sep 08, 2018 23:05 |  #4598

Didn't notice any slow down either.

I don't get why every brand that do cfast are all really expensive, like 2:1 price to capacity, except one.
After I filled in my 64gb cfast while doing those downhill montain bike shots, I went ahead and bought 1 cf and 2 cfast, I don't want to ever again run out of space like that.
SanDisk extreme pro udma 7, 128gb, 159€
Integral Ultimapro x2 cfast 2.0, 128gb, 125€

All other brand (Angelbird, Lexar, SanDisk, Sony) are from 270€ to 350€ for that capacity, nuts.
And the integral has the highest write speed of them all. Works flawlessly with the 1Dx2.

Canon 1DXII
Canon 7D + BG-E7
EF 16-35 f/4L IS USM | EF 24-105 f/4L IS USM | EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM
EF 50 f/1.2L IS USM | EF 85 f/1.4L IS USM | EF 100 f/2.8L IS USM Macro
EF 2x II Extender | EF-S 60 f/2.8 macro
flickr (external link)

Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
5,561 posts
Gallery: 100 photos
Joined Jul 2005
Post edited 6 months ago by Choderboy. (4 edits in all)

Sep 09, 2018 04:26 |  #4599

David Stallard wrote in post #18703450 (external link)
.DAVID.

Choderboy wrote in post #18649334 (external link)
I have done a search of this thread, looking for CFast information. I have discovered that they are not physically or electrically compatible with CompactFlash cards so that's one question answered.
Regarding necessity, does the quote above match people's experience?
What about dual card use? If shooting RAW and JPG, RAW would go to CFast, any slow down if JPG sent to the CF simultaneously?

Choderboy wrote in post #18649334 (external link)
I have done a search of this thread, looking for CFast information. I have discovered that they are not physically or electrically compatible with CompactFlash cards so that's one question answered.
Regarding necessity, does the quote above match people's experience?
What about dual card use? If shooting RAW and JPG, RAW would go to CFast, any slow down if JPG sent to the CF simultaneously?

graham121 wrote in post #18649822 (external link)
In theory, yes RAW to CFast, JPG to CF does slow down the camera.... in reality --- not that you would notice.
Just ran a quick test @14fps indoors in artificial light.

RAW + Large JPG to CFast ...63 shots before hitting the buffer, ie 4.5 secs.

RAW to Cfast, Large Jpeg to ..... 132 shots before hitting the buffer, ie 9.5 secs.

RAW only to CF ..... 78 shots before hitting the buffer., ie 5.5 secs

RAW only to CFast .... gave up waiting for the buffer to fill.

So unless you are into really looooooonng bursts, for all intents and purposes there is no really noticeable slow down.

When the buffer did fill with the RAW + Large JPG to CFast, it really cleared quickly and the camera could carry on at around 8 fps, hitting the buffer when writing to the CF did slow things down more noticeably as the buffer cleared more slowly.

So in summary, the 1DX2 is a burst beast with the Cfast, and not too shabby at all with CF.

YMMV with different Cards, camera settings and environment.

Hope that helps.

Dave
Image editing OK

David ­ Stallard
Goldmember
1,176 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Sep 09, 2018 04:43 |  #4600

Thanks - not really bothered about speed as I don't 'machine gun' shoot - believe it or not I'm one of the weird ones who didn't buy the mkII for the 14fps lol I have on occasion taken two shots at the same time but that is usually when it's cold and or very wet and I get a cramp in my finger! I tend to frame / pan / anticipate and single shoot. . . . . as for video, never tried it and have no interest in it - I know right - real loon lol

That is why I asked if I really needed the faster (more expensive) cfast card, needed to hear from anyone who has just used one as a back up card on a day to day basis and what 'real world' options there are on the cards.

Hope that makes sense? Cheers guys

.DAVID.

Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
5,561 posts
Gallery: 100 photos
Joined Jul 2005

Sep 09, 2018 05:13 as a reply to  @ David Stallard's post |  #4601

I don't think anyone can give you an answer. You don't need speed but you want reliability and to save money on the fast cards. The only way to save money I see is buy CFAST 1.0 or a used CFAST 2.0.
The smaller the card you buy the more frequent you will overwrite so maybe a larger capacity CFAST 1.0 would be best value.

I believe you would be better to reformat / delete content at 80-90% than continually filling the card.

Dave
Image editing OK

David ­ Stallard
Goldmember
1,176 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Sep 09, 2018 09:52 |  #4602

Thanks Dave, Found an Integral 32GB UltimaPRO-X2 CFast 2.0 Card new for £24.99 so for that money I have to try it.

Just wish they had stuck with 2 slots of the same type, it makes no sense to me to make them different - but hey! what do I know huh ;-)a

.DAVID.

cheffievrs
551 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 09, 2018 13:29 as a reply to  @ David Stallard's post |  #4603

I’d be interested in your thoughts on that cfast card David, I didn’t have much luck..? I now use the delkin cfast paired with Sandisk Extreme Pro’s

Queens Royal Hussars
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/59499293@N08 (external link) http://500px.com/jswoo​d (external link)

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
11,953 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Sep 09, 2018 14:05 |  #4604

The obvious reason that they kept one CF slot, but made the other CFast, is that people who have a shoe box full of CF cards should still be able to use them.
Then, whether that's a good idea or not, that's something else.

Anders

johntorcasio
Hatchling
9 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Dec 2014

Sep 13, 2018 20:14 |  #4605

Toyota Hilux: Canon EOS-1D X Mark II EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II USM 1/1250 sec. f/8 ISO 1600

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links

1,471,618 views & 14,185 likes for this thread
1D X Mark II Owners Unite! Discuss & Post Photos
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.