Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 05 Sep 2018 (Wednesday) 02:31
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "How's the new EOS-R stack up for you?"
It's Amazing!
26.5%
It's kind of a let down
33.8%
It's trash
8.5%
It's good for the price
23.5%
It helped me pick a new body
7.7%

189 voters, 260 votes given (3 choices choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

EOS-R - It's out. Thoughts?

this thread is locked
gossamer88
"something else"
1,036 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Joined Aug 2014

Sep 14, 2018 12:04 |  #886

Software (external link) available.

Canon 5D Mark IV | Tamron 24-70mm G2 | Tamron 70-200mm G2 | 85mm 1.8 | 50mm STM | 35mm f/2 IS | Powershot G9 X | iPhone 7
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,308 posts
Gallery: 98 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited 5 months ago by TeamSpeed.

Sep 14, 2018 12:28 as a reply to  @ post 18707787 |  #887

That has been proven to be a myth actually. There were a few topics (not sure if it was here on POTN or another board), but they ran them side by side on some scenes, and the 5D never had anything over the 5D4 images. I will see if I can find it. I just think the 5D had such a place in everyone's heart because when it was introduced, there wasn't anything to really match it for price and performance. It also has like no AA filter, or a very weak one, which helps.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,614 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Post edited 5 months ago by davesrose. (2 edits in all)

Sep 14, 2018 14:19 as a reply to  @ TeamSpeed's post |  #888

I don't know if I was an exception, but I had been a film shooter until the 5D came out. Also had darkroom experience, so I was used to processing for contrast. The 5D was the DSLR which seemed appropriate to me: being FF so I didn't worry with crop factor, and within a price range I could afford. Comparing to film, I was immediately blown away by the ISO. I could tell limits with DR though....raise any shadows and those areas would get noisy fast (though I have found the old RAWs are a little more forgiving with new RAW software). Even though I also was coming from manual focus lenses, I also found the AF limiting. The 5D3 and 5D4 have been welcome upgrades for me, and the only nostalgia I have about the 5D was seeing my first ISO 1600 and 3200 shots (zoomed in, and there was still detail and noise looked more natural then digital point and shoots I had used). Of course that was then...now with digital always advancing, we expect much higher ISO with more resolution and DR.

Canon 5D mk IV
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

Dlee13
Goldmember
3,583 posts
Gallery: 479 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Sep 14, 2018 15:53 |  #889

umphotography wrote in post #18707712 (external link)
Exactly where my head is at

If the camera had dual cards this 50L and future lens thay may introduce would entice current canon shooters to step into the mirrorless game.

The adapters have to work well so you can mount the L's to the new EOS_R's and people will move that direction.

I don't see any reason why the adapter shouldn't work like native. The current EF to EF-M adapter is flawless and I never had any issues using it on my M5!

Sony Alpha A7III - Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 - Sony FE 90mm f/2.8 Macro
Sony FE 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 16-35mm f4L IS -
Canon EOS M5 - Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 - Canon EF 11-22mm f/4-5.6 STM

Blog (external link) | Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link)

Trout ­ Bum
445 posts
Gallery: 73 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Sep 14, 2018 16:09 |  #890

This seems like a really honest evaluation of the camera, and of Canon's direction:

https://www.dpreview.c​om …m_campaign=traf​fic_source (external link)

Mark
My photography website (external link)
My fine art website (external link)
My youtube channel (external link)
Instagram: @MarkMilleArt

davinci953
244 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Sep 14, 2018 16:26 |  #891

Trout Bum wrote in post #18707959 (external link)
This seems like a really honest evaluation of the camera, and of Canon's direction:

That's a fairly reasonable assessment from DPReview, especially since they generally don't show too much love for Canon. ;-)a

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,296 posts
Gallery: 155 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited 5 months ago by CyberDyneSystems. (2 edits in all)

Sep 14, 2018 16:30 |  #892

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18707830 (external link)
...I just think the 5D had such a place in everyone's heart because when it was introduced, there wasn't anything to really match it ...

davesrose wrote in post #18707910 (external link)
I don't know if I was an exception, but I had been a film shooter until the 5D came out. Also had darkroom experience, so I was used to processing for contrast. The 5D was the DSLR which seemed appropriate to me: being FF so I didn't worry with crop factor, ...

5D was the first full frame sensor that mere mortals could afford and use, (1Ds and 1DsII were like $8k!!! :eek: ) and it's photosites were very large and sensitive as compared to the XXd line.

People have those fond memories for very good reason, IT WAS that good compared to the so so APS-C bodies we were used to. If you'd been lucky enough to be shooting 1D (more than 2X the cost of the 5D, more than 3X the cost of APS-C) the difference was less jaw dropping, but it was still amazing to have a camera half the price, more res, and more light gathering, better IQ than the then current 1D2n.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,296 posts
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited 5 months ago by CyberDyneSystems. (2 edits in all)

Sep 14, 2018 16:41 |  #893

Trout Bum wrote in post #18707959 (external link)

So now can we stop repeating the Canon claim that this is
"a whole new sensor" ? :-D:rolleyes:

DPReview wrote:
The pictures it takes are great, which shouldn't come as a surprise for a camera with the 5D IV's sensor.

It does seem like a very well thought out article. I can't find any faults.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,308 posts
Gallery: 98 photos
Joined May 2002

Sep 14, 2018 17:00 as a reply to  @ CyberDyneSystems's post |  #894

However...

Not to the extent of throwing everything away, but at least using this new system as an opportunity to think about which existing elements they want to maintain and where there's room for something new. So not quite a blank sheet, but at least stopping to consider existing assumptions.

I would have to think that a dedicated dial on what is prime real estate to be dedicated to an on/off switch seems counter to some of this. I have no logical reason why Canon would take a dial area, and have it be a toggle switch. Why not have a dial that can be configured much like the RF Lens dial to change whatever you want. Make it EC, or make it ISO, etc....

This is the most visible "silliness" I can see on the EOS-R. It would be like putting a push button start button on the left side of the steering wheel instead of radio or cruise controls, then move those controls to other areas on the dash, with a variety of a directional pad, a ring somewhere else, etc.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,296 posts
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited 5 months ago by CyberDyneSystems. (3 edits in all)

Sep 14, 2018 17:02 |  #895

Oh, I agree, and so does DPreview on that weird toggle. Is that what you mean?
I meant no faults with the article. :)

I guess it was worth a try, but I can't see the use of the toggle either. The lens dial is exactly the opposite. All sorts of uses, and didn't take anything we wanted away. Pure lovely addition. Options, not the least of which, simply giving us our aperture dial back! :)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
15,457 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 14, 2018 17:15 |  #896

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18708002 (external link)
However...

I would have to think that a dedicated dial on what is prime real estate to be dedicated to an on/off switch seems counter to some of this. I have no logical reason why Canon would take a dial area, and have it be a toggle switch. Why not have a dial that can be configured much like the RF Lens dial to change whatever you want. Make it EC, or make it ISO, etc....

This is the most visible "silliness" I can see on the EOS-R. It would be like putting a push button start button on the left side of the steering wheel instead of radio or cruise controls, then move those controls to other areas on the dash, with a variety of a directional pad, a ring somewhere else, etc.

you should know canon by now.

essentially Pro model, pro model, pro model.

They aim their entry level models clearly at entry level users. Expect a $1000 canon premium for their "Pro" model, and it'll have to have room for upgrades :-P

anyone shooting canon long enough knows about these games to upsell. You can buy a 1Dxii right now and have a rich featureset.

Sony A7rii/A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - CV 21/3.5 - FE 35/2.8 - SY 35/1.4 AF - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
12,825 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004
Post edited 5 months ago by RDKirk.

Sep 14, 2018 17:26 |  #897

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18707830 (external link)
That has been proven to be a myth actually. There were a few topics (not sure if it was here on POTN or another board), but they ran them side by side on some scenes, and the 5D never had anything over the 5D4 images. I will see if I can find it. I just think the 5D had such a place in everyone's heart because when it was introduced, there wasn't anything to really match it for price and performance. It also has like no AA filter, or a very weak one, which helps.

Which is why it had terrible hair moire in half-length portraits.

Despite that, though, I still have the image comparison between my 5D and my Mamiya RZ67 that finally convinced me that I could retire film forever.

This is a comparison of half-length images taken moments apart with the 5D and the Mamiya RZ67. In this comparison, notice that the subject is wearing contact lenses. You can see lettering on the contact lens at the seven o'clock position.

The Mamiya 6x7cm image still has a bit better sharpness and tonality, but this image from the old 5D allowed me to put it on the shelf.

IMAGE: https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2247/2375173730_d28fafc934_z.jpg?zz=1
IMAGE LINK: https://www.flickr.com …730/in/datepost​ed-public/  (external link)
Mamiya-5D-comparison (external link) by RDKirk (external link) on Flickr

patrick ­ j
Goldmember
1,232 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 14, 2018 17:31 |  #898

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18707988 (external link)
DPReview wrote:
The pictures it takes are great, which shouldn't come as a surprise for a camera with the 5D IV's sensor.

It does seem like a very well thought out article. I can't find any faults.

The quote from DP Review is kind of funny in a way. They say it like it's almost an afterthought that it takes great pictures rather than something that's important for cameras to do well. I guess camera use has evolved quite a bit, to something where it's important to take 4k video, and by the way, it can take pictures too if you really need to do that. (I think I'm still stuck in the stone age in that way)

Flickr (external link)

AS_Photo
139 posts
Joined Sep 2018

Sep 14, 2018 17:46 |  #899

patrick j wrote in post #18708026 (external link)
The quote from DP Review is kind of funny in a way. They say it like it's almost an afterthought that it takes great pictures rather than something that's important for cameras to do well. I guess camera use has evolved quite a bit, to something where it's important to take 4k video, and by the way, it can take pictures too if you really need to do that. (I think I'm still stuck in the stone age in that way)

It's not just you. While some 4K video would be nice, I don't really care about video at all. I want good quality stills. Video is a nice add on.

Timphoto
Creme de la Curmudgeon
8,955 posts
Gallery: 75 photos
Joined Apr 2008

Sep 14, 2018 17:57 |  #900

Yesterday I was able to play with a pre-production R body and the RF 24-105 when the Canon rep was at a local camera shop to demo the EOS R and the adaptor.

A few observations and comments:

The Canon Rep said that R body will be shipped with the basic $99 adaptor at no extra cost.

I liked the R form factor with the RF 24-105. It was more comfortable and better balanced than my Sony A7R3 with the Sony 24-105.

A friend took his EF 100-400L II and mounted it on the R body with the Canon adaptor. He was happy with the AF performance. We didn't get time to do any serious tests, but the initial impression was positive.

About half the folks there agreed that the weird toggle button was weird. :rolleyes:

I wanted to see how well a Sigma Art lens worked on the R with the adaptor, but unfortunately we didn't get a chance to try that.

I was drooling over the RF 28-70 f/2...but it's a BEAST...big as an EF 11-24 and felt heavier.

I'm in agreement with Roger Cicala's recommendation. I'm going to sit back, do my best to control my GAS disease, and watch as things develop.

Tim

sponsored links

112,869 views & 1,660 likes for this thread
EOS-R - It's out. Thoughts?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.