Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 05 Sep 2018 (Wednesday) 02:31
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "How's the new EOS-R stack up for you?"
It's Amazing!
26.5%
It's kind of a let down
33.8%
It's trash
8.5%
It's good for the price
23.5%
It helped me pick a new body
7.7%

189 voters, 260 votes given (3 choices choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

EOS-R - It's out. Thoughts?

this thread is locked
rantercsr
Goldmember
2,895 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Sep 15, 2018 14:08 |  #946

artsf wrote in post #18708237 (external link)
One has to wonder what are non-fans of L glass (best lenses in the world) doing on Canon forum.....
..I have never met a loyal Sony customer

I thought this was a canon forum?.. and now just a Photography forum?

also.. I'm curious … what is a "loyal sony customer"?

Perhaps i'm picking up on this conversation in the middle and so i'm not getting it..

customers should be loyal to brands?

I got a couple of Cameras and lenses ...Canon, Sony, Fuji, Pansonic, pentax
My portraits IG (external link)My everything else IG (external link)
MY flickr (external link)
My latest YT video -->https://youtu.be/YzJ1o​eiHm7Y (external link)

sponsored links
Talley
Talley Whacker
11,065 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Dec 2011
Post edited 6 months ago by Talley.

Sep 15, 2018 14:25 |  #947

rantercsr wrote in post #18708594 (external link)

Perhaps i'm picking up on this conversation in the middle and so i'm not getting it..

Photography on the net - POTN = photography. I do believe this means all imagery. Also, I'm loyal to my wife, kids and my money. :)

A7rIII | A7III | 12-24 F4 | 16-35 GM | 28-75 2.8 | 100-400 GM | 12mm 2.8 Fisheye | 35mm 2.8 | 85mm 1.8 | 35A | 85A | 200mm L F2 IS | MC-11
My Gear Archive

rogue.guineapig
THREAD ­ STARTER
302 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jan 2011
Post edited 6 months ago by rogue.guineapig.

Sep 15, 2018 14:38 |  #948

IT WAS A CANON FORUM BEFORE ALL THE KIDS CAME ALONG AND TRAMPLED MY GRASS WITH THEIR DURNED NEEEKONS AND SOH-NEES :twisted:

I think it evolved when more and more people found it as just a great photo forum that was better organized that many others... it became a much broader resource, and I think that's a good thing.

Canon 6D w/MagicLantern, 16-35 f/2.8LII, 100mm f/2.8L, 70-200 f/2.8LII, 300mm f/4L, and a lot of luck

samueli
Goldmember
1,011 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Feb 2009
Post edited 6 months ago by samueli. (2 edits in all)

Sep 15, 2018 14:44 |  #949

RDKirk wrote in post #18708566 (external link)
I think it would be a mistake to drag out the switch to the RF mount across the board.

As I said earlier, I was one of the people with a big FD mount investment, and I was angry with Canon for a decade when they dropped it.

But now, I think it's the best way to handle such things. As far as I'm concerned, the RF adapter is all they should do for the sake of EF mount owners (and a lot more than we had for the FD mount).

I think they'd do best by getting out their pro-model RF mount bodies and not releasing anything else, either lenses or bodies, in EF mount. They really shouldn't have released that last update of the 70-200 zoom.

I think the fact that they've released some new and unique high-end lens designs in RF mount indicates that they've moved their top designers to that line. They won't keep the heads of their top designers in the EF shop.

In the past 6 months I've made significant EF lens purchases to fill out my kit. Even if I liked the EOS R I wouldn't be purchasing any lenses for likely 3-5 years, and those wouldn't be any real staple lenses. My recent 24-70 and 16-35 where serious purchases that are meant to cover me for many years. I'm like collateral damage in all of this. To bad my tiny purchases don't affect Canon, cause they really stuck the budget customers with bad timing.

samueli
Goldmember
1,011 posts
Joined Feb 2009
Post edited 6 months ago by samueli.

Sep 15, 2018 14:49 |  #950

I swear it used to be a Canon forum. I was out for a bit, and came back; It was like a twilight zone episode. I just go on as if it's always been this way.

samueli
Goldmember
1,011 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Sep 15, 2018 14:52 |  #951

AlanU wrote in post #18708572 (external link)
I'm a Canon/Sony/Fuji shooter. I see the discussion of colour science in Sony.

I seldom read Canon users discussing the difference in how the images in wildlife and landscape/cityscape look different vs other brands. Sony renders real to life images both in small and large apertures that has a much different look than Canon or Fuji.

Very apparent when looking at the Sony forum in how the system renders images compared to Canon.

It's a matter of how you post process. The way my 5dmk4 reacts in LR is different to Sony and Fuji. Shadow slider reacts differently between the 3 different RAW files I edit.

"I can think that" because I do notice a big variance between 3 different RAW files I deal with my gear. Many here just deal with 1 system with predetermined colour science the "brand" they shoot. Kind of like "it is what it is..."

I could have rephrased and left out colour science. How a brand renders our subjects can be quite different shooting the identical scenery.

What does this have to do with EOS-R???? It'll be Canon render. My 5dmk2 virtually had identical looking images as my 5dmk3. The 5dmk4 on the other hand has more micro contrast and is visually different than the older models. Infact I find the sharpness of the 5dmk4 improved using identical lenses I've used with my 5d2/3.

Sony with adapted Canon glass. Just a quick snap render of how the image looks sharp, contrasty, not far from what we see with our unedited eyes.
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by AlanU in
./showthread.php?p=187​08572&i=i238291084
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Here's my Fuji with 55-200. Very bright sunny day and no way did this look like this with my unedited eyes. I'd have to try real hard to make Sony achieve a canvas/painterly look. It has an art like component that looks fantastic on print. My point is different "render" that I seldom ever hear on the Sony forum.
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by AlanU in
./showthread.php?p=187​08572&i=i205780314
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Where does Canon color rate in comparision to unedited eyes in your opinion?

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
7,026 posts
Gallery: 71 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Sep 15, 2018 14:58 |  #952

Talley wrote in post #18708600 (external link)
Photography on the net - POTN = photography. I do believe this means all imagery. Also, I'm loyal to my wife, kids and my money. :)

Talley,

I don't think you're loyal to your hard earned money...... you go through sooooo many Bejamin's like a naughty player :P

How else do you have a reputation of owning so much camera gear over the years :P :)

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 50-140 | TT685
Sony A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | GM16-35 f/2.8 | Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 | GM70-200 f/2.8 |Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
7,026 posts
Gallery: 71 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Sep 15, 2018 15:06 |  #953

samueli wrote in post #18708620 (external link)
Where does Canon color rate in comparision to unedited eyes in your opinion?

Pleasant!!

Everything needs to be edited so please I wont be silly.......

Fuji colours are very pleasant virtually straight out of camera. I think Fuji has put effort into cooking some "fuji character" with film presets in their RAW. Looking at Sony, Canon and Fuji RAW files unmodified each has different flavours.

I've been a Canon user so I'm use to the Canon colour science which really doesn't seem like it's changed. I'm a new adopter of Sony so even my A7iii is apparently "better" than the older generation colours the older models outputted.

The Fuji system i really appreciate when I use it in good light. It's really an eyecandy type of file but this is my opinion as the files do seem more processed coming out of a RAW file. Some may argue which is fine with me....... The look of Fuji files does have this calm look to it in many cases with minor easy peasy post processing.

Colour science is a personal thing. I do find Sony colours to be more aggressive and in your face intense but when I manipulate with my Xrite passport preset's I do find Sony colour science to be tamed and less vibrant/aggressive. This is all about personal work flow in how we deal with RAW files I guess. I do hear this often with locals when we shoot the breeze as many own Canon as well as Sony now.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 50-140 | TT685
Sony A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | GM16-35 f/2.8 | Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 | GM70-200 f/2.8 |Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS

mcoren
624 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Mar 2015

Sep 15, 2018 15:22 |  #954

RDKirk wrote in post #18708566 (external link)
But now, I think it's the best way to handle such things. As far as I'm concerned, the RF adapter is all they should do for the sake of EF mount owners (and a lot more than we had for the FD mount).

I’d always heard that Canon did briefly make a pretty good FD-EF adapter, but looking around for info on the web, it sounds like it was limited to just the longer teles. It was also like $250 in the late 1980s, which is around $500 today. There was also a lens in it, due to the EF lenses having a slightly longer flange distance (plus the length of the adapter itself), which gave a small teleconverter effect.

Mike

Canon EOS 7D Mark II, EOS M5, and EOS 100 (film SLR)
A bunch of Canon lenses and a couple of Sigmas
A backpack, a bicycle, and a pair of hiking boots

mcoren
624 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Mar 2015

Sep 15, 2018 15:37 |  #955

samueli wrote in post #18708612 (external link)
In the past 6 months I've made significant EF lens purchases to fill out my kit. Even if I liked the EOS R I wouldn't be purchasing any lenses for likely 3-5 years, and those wouldn't be any real staple lenses. My recent 24-70 and 16-35 where serious purchases that are meant to cover me for many years. I'm like collateral damage in all of this. To bad my tiny purchases don't affect Canon, cause they really stuck the budget customers with bad timing.

I don’t understand your aggravation. Those lenses and your existing body/ies will still work. Canon is still (rumored to be) planning new EF body releases, even full frame, just as they did with FD bodies for 4-5 years after the EOS system was introduced. If you see your new lenses as 3-5 year purchases as you say, I think you should be fine.

Mike

Canon EOS 7D Mark II, EOS M5, and EOS 100 (film SLR)
A bunch of Canon lenses and a couple of Sigmas
A backpack, a bicycle, and a pair of hiking boots

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
9,341 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited 6 months ago by Left Handed Brisket.

Sep 15, 2018 15:42 |  #956

rogue.guineapig wrote in post #18708610 (external link)
IT WAS A CANON FORUM BEFORE ALL THE KIDS CAME ALONG AND TRAMPLED MY GRASS WITH THEIR DURNED NEEEKONS AND SOH-NEES :twisted:

I think it evolved when more and more people found it as just a great photo forum that was better organized that many others... it became a much broader resource, and I think that's a good thing.

Stupid kids.

The evolution was part of Pekka's home-built software upgrade. Definitely a plus. Same kind of long term thinking that brought us EF and now RF. :D

samueli wrote in post #18708615 (external link)
I swear it used to be a Canon forum. I was out for a bit, and came back; It was like a twilight zone episode. I just go on as if it's always been this way.

I was going to say what I said above in response to your post, buthaving already said it, same as it ever was

AlanU wrote in post #18708624 (external link)
Talley,

I don't think you're loyal to your hard earned money...... you go through sooooo many Bejamin's like a naughty player :P

How else do you have a reputation of owning so much camera gear over the years :P :)

Talley is definitely a player, and if bedding his cameras is naughty, well, who am I to judge?

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

samueli
Goldmember
1,011 posts
Joined Feb 2009
Post edited 6 months ago by samueli. (2 edits in all)

Sep 15, 2018 15:50 |  #957

mcoren wrote in post #18708646 (external link)
I don’t understand your aggravation. Those lenses and your existing body/ies will still work. Canon is still (rumored to be) planning new EF body releases, even full frame, just as they did with FD bodies for 4-5 years after the EOS system was introduced. If you see your new lenses as 3-5 year purchases as you say, I think you should be fine.

Mike

I wasn't around for the FD to EF transition, so I guess I trust that EF would go on forever. Never had it crossed my mind that there would be and end of life for EF, even if distant. I could've stepped into the R series and helped to future proof myself, if I had a clue.

StarJack
602 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Sep 15, 2018 15:58 as a reply to  @ post 18708178 |  #958

Darn nice write up artsf!

Regards,
Steve

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,444 posts
Gallery: 156 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited 6 months ago by CyberDyneSystems.

Sep 15, 2018 16:20 |  #959

umphotography wrote in post #18708468 (external link)

As I keep trying to tell everyone- And my point seems to be missed, The issue for everyone is will performance be the same with the conversion adapters ...

I don't think your point is being missed, I think that people are ignoring it because they don't agree with your assumption or how you came to it. They don't think your hand picking of two quick notes out of, what now? a dozen videos? is viable data to keep repeating this assumption.

I do think you are missing the point that every one else has been making about nothing here being 3rd party, and the overwhelmingly positive reports that leave your two exceptions as little more than the exceptions that prove the rule. The Kai case the lighting was IMHO so dark and wierd I think he could have had the same issue with native lens if it WASN'T the 50 1.2.

Am I willing to bet money there will be no issue?
Not sure, but against you I might.

Canon is on record saying that the adaption will be seamless for EF on R bodies.

Canon is also telling us that the EOS R is 30MP and has a single SD card.
I'll believe it when I see it! I am sure it also has CF card, and is actually only 24MP.

Does that make any sense? Should I post it every other page in bold caps for the next week? Stamp my feet when people don't jump on board with that theory?

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,444 posts
Gallery: 156 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Sep 15, 2018 16:29 |  #960

I'd like to claim that the change from a Canon Only format to what we have now is due to the fall out from Canon dicking me around with the 1D MarkIII for two years, ... alas that would not be true. Still it's been a long time now :)

artsf wrote in post #18708237 (external link)
One has to wonder what are non-fans of L glass (best lenses in the world) doing on Canon forum? I’d argue that Canon’s strongest position is its insane EF lens catalogue unmatched by anyone: not just variety and optical rendering but the built quality, af motors, ois design, support, etc.
Mirrorless and small is possible if you are willing to compromise on sensor size or lens properties. I personally prefer larger camera with small lenses. The palm needs to wrap around the grip for proper ergonomics with large lenses. I’ve used A7rii with 85GM and 24-70GM for quite sometime, never again. EF85IS and EF 24-70ii are just so much nicer and much better value. I have never met a loyal Sony customer

rogue.guineapig wrote in post #18708610 (external link)

samueli wrote in post #18708615 (external link)

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18708649 (external link)
Stupid kids.

The evolution was part of Pekka's home-built software upgrade. Definitely a plus. Same kind of long term thinking that brought us EF and now RF. :D

I was going to say what I said above in response to your post, buthaving already said it, same as it ever was

Talley is definitely a player, and if bedding his cameras is naughty, well, who am I to judge?

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

sponsored links

115,907 views & 1,660 likes for this thread
EOS-R - It's out. Thoughts?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.