Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 05 Sep 2018 (Wednesday) 02:31
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "How's the new EOS-R stack up for you?"
It's Amazing!
26.5%
It's kind of a let down
33.8%
It's trash
8.5%
It's good for the price
23.5%
It helped me pick a new body
7.7%

189 voters, 260 votes given (3 choices choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

EOS-R - It's out. Thoughts?

this thread is locked
rantercsr
Goldmember
2,891 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Mar 2014
Post edited 6 months ago by rantercsr. (2 edits in all)

Sep 15, 2018 22:31 |  #976

rogue.guineapig wrote in post #18708856 (external link)
I think either consciously or unconsciously there's comparison going on.

It doesn't have IBIS. Why is that potentially a big deal? Because other cameras do.
It's $2300. Why is that a point of comparison? Because some cameras are $3400, and some are $1900.

So why is $2300 worth it? Because it has what you want for $2300. The $3400 camera might have more, but you don't want more for $3400.

so on and so forth.

I mean if it's just about "The Best" then we'd all be shooting the Hassy H6D right? :twisted:

excuse me?! hassy? what are they like an old film company?

i'm sorry my Sony a7r3 Is in fact, undeniably smaller , lighter, heavier ,bigger , faster , slower and has more/less DR than any camera in the wold.. +++ and it shoots 4k at 4k

I got a couple of Cameras and lenses ...Canon, Sony, Fuji, Pansonic, pentax
My portraits IG (external link)My everything else IG (external link)
MY flickr (external link)
My latest YT video -->https://youtu.be/YzJ1o​eiHm7Y (external link)

sponsored links
Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
9,337 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited 6 months ago by Left Handed Brisket.

Sep 15, 2018 22:31 |  #977

rantercsr wrote in post #18708843 (external link)
who starts with sony?..

its possible I suppose .. this thread has too many pages and so I wont go back and search.

I started with Canon..

Just like I started with Toyota..

I keep wanting(secretly.. although now the CAt's out) Canon to do something to shut everyones filthy mouth..
just like I started with Toyota and keep wanting them to release some thing to shut "honduh" fanboys up.. ..

I really think Canon and Toyota must be related

Sony thing was only a few posts up.

But yeah, I'm toyota too, a 4Runner guy. I'm putting a "new" engine in a 97 because it is what a want. The truck meets my every need. Literally.

It's not fancy. I put new suspension on 4 corners. I upgraded the brakes. It's a 5 speed, non-existent these days. I could get a "better" (used) vehicle, for 5 times the cost of the engine. I have no interest. And neither will the bank!

Gets the job done with little fuss. Plainly, just like my canon.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

rogue.guineapig
THREAD ­ STARTER
302 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Sep 15, 2018 22:39 as a reply to  @ Left Handed Brisket's post |  #978

I love my Canon too...the old 6D has gone with me to Israel twice and I've loved it.

Now that the AF is dying it's like "ok. Well what can a guy get for $2500 or less?"
For me the comparison starts with alternatives in my budget... so even though I'd love to switch to Med Format I can't.

So that's Fuji, Canon, and Sony, and Nikon but I'm prejudiced against Nikon so I wrote them off.  :p They're just not my jam so... gotta see what the toys are for $2500 or less, and are they worth the few extra kopeks in cash.

Canon 6D w/MagicLantern, 16-35 f/2.8LII, 100mm f/2.8L, 70-200 f/2.8LII, 300mm f/4L, and a lot of luck

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
9,337 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Sep 15, 2018 23:02 |  #979

My only interest in gear threads is knowing what I would do if my 6D craps out.

Until last week it would have been a coin toss between another used 6D or moving to Sony. I don't say that lightly, I'd probably have to buy a Honda too. :D

But with both, the investment is more than I am interested in taking on.

Weird story. I love bacon, who doesn't? Last week I caught some **** because I didn't take a pound of bacon when offered from my mom and her newish husband (I'm old, dad died old, and mom remarried). They were trying to be nice, but were offended I didn't take it. I told them I didn't have time to cook bacon. Heresy, right? Lol

It just doesn't make the cut these days.

Don't tell me the time it takes to cook bacon in my kick ass cast iron is irrelevant when I can be throwing my kids on the couch and having a pile-on. Opportunity costs. The boys have never said why didn't you cook bacon, but if I spend too much time in the kitchen, they notice.

I don't have time to spend in the Sony kitchen.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

rogue.guineapig
THREAD ­ STARTER
302 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Sep 15, 2018 23:14 as a reply to  @ Left Handed Brisket's post |  #980

it does... and I think that's why I'm cranky about the dying 6D.
Sean Tucker made a great video about not blaming your tools, but also selecting the best tool for the job.

I honestly feel like the A7iii is the best tool for what I personally do... and that's irritating because not only do I like Canon, but I'm invested in them.
The opportunity cost to pick the body with the features I like at the price I want is still steep. It's a cost not written off easily in terms of time, learning, or money.

Canon 6D w/MagicLantern, 16-35 f/2.8LII, 100mm f/2.8L, 70-200 f/2.8LII, 300mm f/4L, and a lot of luck

mcoren
624 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Mar 2015
Post edited 6 months ago by mcoren.

Sep 16, 2018 00:54 |  #981

Charlie wrote in post #18708765 (external link)
Lot of Sony shooters double dip Canon, even if I don't associate myself as a Canon shooter. Some of us own Canon gear and not too far removed.

Same thing was going on with the Nikon release, many previous Nikon shooters were discussing that release. There's a certain excitement factor when these releases come to be, and they naturally die off in a few months.

Nobody starts off as a Sony or Fuji shooter then decided to go Canon, about as rare as Bigfoot, hence you really don't see the opposite happen.

We're a week away from Sony's announcement...... Drama will continue

I freely admit that I’m a Canon fanboi. I’ve used exclusively Canon SLRs since I first became interested in photography when I was in high school in 1982: AV-1, EOS 100, 20D, Rebel T2i, 70D, 7D, and 7Dii.

I don’t depend on photography for my livelihood (thankfully-I’d starve!), so I don’t have to constantly think about whether my gear is optimal for the shooting I do. I’m a hobbyist, not a pro. I have the luxury of being able to say that I won’t learn a new system if I don’t want to. If there’s a feature that Sony or Nikon has that looks really compelling to me, I can choose to switch, or to get by with what I have. To be honest, I think I have a pretty good collection of gear, and at my level, my gear isn’t what limits me.

I still like to pay some attention to what other vendors are doing. I’ve looked at the Nikon D500 specs enough to be jealous, and to hope that Canon will totally blow it away with the 7D Mark III. I followed the recent Nikon Z announcements, since mirrorless seems to be the “next big thing” in cameras.

The Nikon Z and EOS R announcements remind me of the introduction of the original IBM PC in 1981. Up to that time, the personal computer industry had been dominated by a bunch of smaller players, such as Apple and Commodore, and they sold mainly to hobbyists and schools. While IBM’s announcement represented a huge threat to those companies, it gave them a boost as well: One of the big incumbent computer companies was now making a personal computer, so the product must be a legitimate business tool. In this analogy, Sony and Fuji are the ones who had been dominating the new market of advanced amateur and professional mirrorless cameras, and Canon and Nikon are the big incumbents who are just now getting into this space. Whether Sony’s cameras go the route of Apple or Commodore in the next ten years remains to be seen.

Regardless, I have to agree with Charlie’s statement that drama will continue. It’s going to be an exciting ride for the next couple of years!

Mike

Canon EOS 7D Mark II, EOS M5, and EOS 100 (film SLR)
A bunch of Canon lenses and a couple of Sigmas
A backpack, a bicycle, and a pair of hiking boots

Talley
Talley Whacker
11,064 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Sep 16, 2018 06:58 |  #982

Wow guys really? I'll reference this entire page Page 65.

I think I've spent 6+ years on this site and you guys want to whine about "any" posts not from canon users and/or not from the topic "you" would prefer to come from (i.e. comparing to other brands). Why all of a sudden treat me (and others in the same boat) like trolls?

If this is what this online community is about and how they feel then this is pretty sad. Or perhaps Canon has really snagged your guys hearts and brains.... and wallets too. Wake up people. My gear list should show you what brand I prefer but I'm tired of Canon toying us around for their pure protection of product lineup.

I want Canon to succeed. I want them to come out with a Sony crushing competitor. Until they do I will continue to shoot Sony. Deal with it.

A7rIII | A7III | 12-24 F4 | 16-35 GM | 28-75 2.8 | 100-400 GM | 12mm 2.8 Fisheye | 35mm 2.8 | 85mm 1.8 | 35A | 85A | 200mm L F2 IS | MC-11
My Gear Archive

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,523 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 16, 2018 08:51 |  #983

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18708665 (external link)
I don't think your point is being missed, I think that people are ignoring it because they don't agree with your assumption or how you came to it. They don't think your hand picking of two quick notes out of, what now? a dozen videos? is viable data to keep repeating this assumption.

PLEASE JAKE GIVE ME A Break

I realize you are a mod but try not to get too pretentious or cute with me please- I have as much experience as you do in the game

I have tried the 3rd party adapters, both magabones and the sigma on the Sony A7111

Performance was sluggish and not there. Have you been there and done that ? I have !!! We are not going to know how the performance is with adapters and the EOR-R body until people get these things out and figure out what they are going to do and not going to do. Then we will know for sure despite information obtained from release specs or promises from Canon.

I think the Kia case was NOTHING to do with lighting. I am in reception rooms with a heck of a lot worse lighting conditions. If a mirrorless body with an adapter cant cut it in that environment, but it will perform with EOS-R glass, then we are back to square one for the majority of shooters.

Photographers will have 2 different systems because performance might not be there with the adapters. No One knows for sure...... Yet

I stand by what I said

No One knows for sure until people get the EOS-R cameras and conversion adapters with L glass , into environments that they normally shoot in, and give things a go. I have heard promises from canon and others in the past. They will tell you anything to get you to hit the Add to cart button

Im waiting. Big time waiting for people to completely test the adapters out. Especially at a 10K investment into Mirrorless land with glass that will work

You have much more faith in the MFG than I do

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

DTBaan
"male gigolo"
13,966 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Apr 2011

Sep 16, 2018 08:58 |  #984

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18708667 (external link)
Canon dicking me

hmm...... 'cyber...'

now I understand

:twisted:

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
9,337 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Sep 16, 2018 09:03 |  #985

"magabones"

Only the best adapters!

Believe me. I know adapters!

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,476 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Jan 2007
Post edited 6 months ago by JeffreyG.

Sep 16, 2018 09:16 |  #986

umphotography wrote in post #18709055 (external link)
I have tried the 3rd party adapters, both magabones and the sigma on the Sony A7111

The point that has only been stated about 1000 times, is that Metabones and Sigma are not, in fact, Sony. And it is totally plausible that driving a Canon or Sigma lens through a Metabones adapter by interpreting Sony AF protocol is not going to be perfect.

But that doesn't make it a logical progression to think that a Canon lens, driven through a Canon adapter, by a Canon camera, all of which was engineered by one department specifically to work together, is going to have the same problem. I'd actually be quite surprised if an EF lens on the EOS R worked any different than the same lens on a 6D in the same conditions.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,523 posts
Joined Oct 2007
Post edited 6 months ago by umphotography. (2 edits in all)

Sep 16, 2018 09:45 |  #987

JeffreyG wrote in post #18709063 (external link)
The point that has only been stated about 1000 times, is that Metabones and Sigma are not, in fact, Sony. And it is totally plausible that driving a Canon or Sigma lens through a Metabones adapter by interpreting Sony AF protocol is not going to be perfect.

But that doesn't make it a logical progression to think that a Canon lens, driven through a Canon adapter, by a Canon camera, all of which was engineered by one department specifically to work together, is going to have the same problem. I'd actually be quite surprised if an EF lens on the EOS R worked any different than the same lens on a 6D in the same conditions.

We are going to find out. And the reason I used metabones and Sigma was because that was conventional wisdom as to what works best on Sony when the A7iii was announced at $2300.00.

Does Sony even make an adapter for their bodies? If so Im wondering why everyone uses the other adapters ??

The reason I make the comparison is because thats the only game in town right now that I know of until canon and Nikon comes out with their solutions. I do Realize matabones and Sigma adapters are NOT Sony. despite being said 1000 times. There is issues that everyone sweeps under the rug

Do you have anything else or information to base a decision about this topic ?

I dont have as much faith as you do that " a Canon lens, driven through a Canon adapter, by a Canon camera, all of which was engineered by one department specifically to work together".......will actually work.

I do seem to recall that the 1DMKIII designed by canon engineers had a lot of problems so there is that history from Canon. There is also the history of rushing updates to markets that were not all that much as far as update go. 50D, 6D2 come to mind on te prosumer side of the fence.

This is an entry level camera into the mirrorless market to which Canon is very new to the game. I dont have as much faith in the technology yet on canons part

Mike
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

Cuttlefish
232 posts
Joined Aug 2010
Post edited 6 months ago by Cuttlefish. (4 edits in all)

Sep 16, 2018 09:45 |  #988

Can we safely assume that all EF lenses for we have will work with the new EOS-R without an adapter?

e.g. I have a Sigma 70-200 f2.8 DG APO HSM which I have used with my 7D and I am interested in getting a Rokinon 14mm soon also?

7D & 450D | Canon 50mm 1.8 II | Canon 24-105L | Canon 85mm 1.8 | Canon EF-S 18-55 IS | Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 EX DG OS HSM | Manfrotto 055XPROB & 804RC2 | SpeedLite 430EX II & 2 x YN560 II. Bowens Gemini 500R Studio lighting kit

Strick
541 posts
Gallery: 85 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Aug 2007

Sep 16, 2018 09:49 |  #989

umphotography wrote in post #18709080 (external link)
Do you have anything else or information to base a decision about this topic ?

I dont have as much faith as you do that " a Canon lens, driven through a Canon adapter, by a Canon camera, all of which was engineered by one department specifically to work together".......will actually work.

Yes, The EOS M system with the Canon adpater to use EF lenses. That should be a pretty good indicator.

www.strickphotography.​com (external link)

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,523 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 16, 2018 09:51 |  #990

Strick wrote in post #18709085 (external link)
Yes, The EOS M system with the Canon adpater to use EF lenses. That should be a pretty good indicator.

Yes they are making an adapter

Have you tested it and actually seen it work ?

has anyone yet ?

I sure have not seen it and a dam sure dont know how its going to perform

Mike
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links

115,786 views & 1,660 likes for this thread
EOS-R - It's out. Thoughts?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.