Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 14 Sep 2018 (Friday) 11:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Haggling

Qbx
Goldmember
3,907 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 14, 2018 11:43 |  #1

At a local farmers' market, he wasn't entirely happy with her offer. C&C welcome.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

-- Image Editing OK --

sponsored links
OhLook
Spiderwoman
17,963 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Sep 14, 2018 13:02 |  #2

Did you mean this photo to communicate by itself? The man looks upset or hostile. Without your explanation, however, I wouldn't have known what his grievance was. The two could be a couple. "No way, Linda! We've had yellow squash every night for a week!"

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

Qbx
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,907 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 16, 2018 03:35 |  #3

OhLook wrote in post #18707855 (external link)
Did you mean this photo to communicate by itself? The man looks upset or hostile. Without your explanation, however, I wouldn't have known what his grievance was. The two could be a couple. "No way, Linda! We've had yellow squash every night for a week!"

I was drawn to the woman because of her hair and tattoo, so when she approached the vendor I took a couple shots. I think it's a nice slice-of-life shot of two typical California characters. I think it would have been hilarious if she'd had only one squash though.

-- Image Editing OK --

sidknee
Goldmember
1,330 posts
Gallery: 637 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Sep 16, 2018 05:59 as a reply to  @ Qbx's post |  #4

Nothing at all says anything about California in that photo, if I'd taken a guess I would have said the guy looks french!!
If, maybe, you had included more of their surroundings your meaning would have been more clear?

OhLook
Spiderwoman
17,963 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Sep 16, 2018 09:48 |  #5

How is the viewer to know that the man was a vendor, not a customer?

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

RhodyPhotos
902 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Sep 16, 2018 10:00 as a reply to  @ OhLook's post |  #6

Maybe the pocketbook under her arm is an indication that she is the customer? The photo is too tightly cropped in my opinion. A bit of context would have been nice.

CC always welcome.

OhLook
Spiderwoman
17,963 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Sep 16, 2018 10:27 |  #7

RhodyPhotos wrote in post #18709088 (external link)
Maybe the pocketbook under her arm is an indication that she is the customer? The photo is too tightly cropped in my opinion. A bit of context would have been nice.

The man might also be a customer. He's possibly handling money, but I can't tell for sure; there's a bit of something faintly green. I agree about the need for context. The woman's expression is hard to make out from this angle. She may be smiling. It's clear that the man is annoyed. It just isn't clear why.

Croasdail
making stuff up
7,107 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2005

Sep 16, 2018 12:42 |  #8

As you can tell from the comments, not everyone is seeing in the image what you saw. One of the hardest things to do when taking these types of images is to detach yourself from the taking experience and understand what was going on. I almost have to let an image sit for a while to decide if I like it because I was there and saw what led up to the image, or does it stand alone. It the image requires explaining, or a caption, then it might not be as clear as you hope. Have had images I love early on, but later realize my own personal experience is tainting my view of the image.

That said, there is nothing wrong with taking a picture just because you like it. Screw what others think.

My personal view is that these two aren't haggling. The lady is clearly smiling. He is looking back at her... but have no idea why. Seems to be listening to what she is saying. But heck, these two could be together, she is talking to the seller, and he is getting ready to pay. They may have been bartering... the image just doesn't say enough to me for me to come to that conclusion. I also don't see this as uniquely Californian. There are these "types" everywhere, especially at local markets.

Nothing wrong with the image really. Some tweaks here ant there... but nothing critical. Its down to personal taste.

Mark
Its by knowing and mastering all the rules that you learn which ones you can break.

OhLook
Spiderwoman
17,963 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Sep 16, 2018 13:20 |  #9

Qbx wrote in post #18708976 (external link)
I think it would have been hilarious if she'd had only one squash though.

Sorry, I don't understand this comment at all. How does the selection of vegetables affect the humor level? Would the shot have been amusing with asparagus? Cute with cabbage? Boffo with Brussels sprouts?

GibJock
Kill killer
9,643 posts
Gallery: 43 photos
Joined May 2013
Location: From Scotland, living in Gibraltar "A Jock on the Rock"

Sep 19, 2018 12:45 |  #10

OhLook wrote in post #18709194 (external link)
Sorry, I don't understand this comment at all. How does the selection of vegetables affect the humor level? Would the shot have been amusing with asparagus? Cute with cabbage? Boffo with Brussels sprouts?

I’m guessing he is suggesting that the pair of onions resemble testicles, so if there was only one squash.... well no further explanation required I’m sure.

flickr (external link)

OhLook
Spiderwoman
17,963 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Sep 19, 2018 13:25 |  #11

GibJock wrote in post #18711299 (external link)
I’m guessing he is suggesting that the pair of onions resemble testicles, so if there was only one squash.... well no further explanation required I’m sure.

I'm usually good at spotting Freudian symbols, but that one escaped me. No excuse, I guess.

AZGeorge
Goldmember
2,488 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 20, 2018 08:34 |  #12

GibJock wrote in post #18711299 (external link)

No, no, no. Please not.

Haggling comes from the Old Norse hǫggva to hew or chop.

George
Democracy Dies in Darkness

GibJock
Kill killer
9,643 posts
Gallery: 43 photos
Joined May 2013
Location: From Scotland, living in Gibraltar "A Jock on the Rock"

Sep 21, 2018 10:27 |  #13

OhLook wrote in post #18711318 (external link)
I'm usually good at spotting Freudian symbols, but that one escaped me. No excuse, I guess.

Can’t be perfect OhLook, not all of the time anyway ;-)a

flickr (external link)

Croasdail
making stuff up
7,107 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2005

Sep 21, 2018 11:40 as a reply to  @ GibJock's post |  #14

You got to be looking pretty hard to see that.... they don't look like anything I am familiar with.... just sayin'.

Mark
Its by knowing and mastering all the rules that you learn which ones you can break.

OhLook
Spiderwoman
17,963 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Sep 21, 2018 13:30 |  #15

Croasdail wrote in post #18712759 (external link)
You got to be looking pretty hard to see that.... they don't look like anything I am familiar with.... just sayin'.

Actually, I thought the same thing.

sponsored links

1,314 views & 8 likes for this thread
Haggling
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.