Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Other Digital Cameras Fuji Digital Cameras 
Thread started 06 Jan 2013 (Sunday) 14:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

STICKY: Fuji Users Unite - Post your comments, questions and images here

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,768 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2012
Post edited over 2 years ago by EverydayGetaway.

Sep 15, 2018 00:59 |  #8506

I think this is the last shot I took of my old car (shame it's not a better one :lol: ). I do miss it a little, but it was about to start being a money/time pit... it was the only front wheel drive car that I've truly enjoyed driving.

X100T

IMAGE: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1888/30421894598_680ede5be2_h.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/Nmha​o7  (external link) Woodward2018 441 (external link) by Lucas (external link), on Flickr

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-H1 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)www.LucasGPhoto.com (external link)

sponsored links
Tony ­ Beale
678 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 15, 2018 02:27 |  #8507

Two Hot Shoes wrote in post #18707977 (external link)
OK, notes made will see how I get on.

---
About the first time I've ever felt I was glad of OIS on a wide-angle lens, was commenting on a shot with the couple as we walked back from a location, about the train moving past with them locked in a kiss but me not having my tripod to hand. They said go for it anyway and just posed as the tram was about to pass. Not bad for handheld with a few seconds warning ;)

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Two Hot Shoes in
./showthread.php?p=187​07977&i=i214425470
forum: Fuji Digital Cameras

great shot Kim, love the composition.

Tony.

https://www.flickr.com​/photos/tonybeale/ (external link)
Fuji XT3 - Fuji XE-3 - Lenses Fujifilm XF 80mm f2.8 Macro - Fujifilm XF 50mm f2 - Fujifilm XF 23mm f1.4 - Fujifilm XF 27mm f2.8 - Samyang 12mm f2.0 - Fuji 1.4x Teleconverter

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
7,732 posts
Gallery: 141 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Sep 15, 2018 11:10 |  #8508

gremlin75 wrote in post #18707965 (external link)
I’ll be curious how eye af works too. Even if it’s as good as Sony eye af I don’t think It will be enough to get the x-t2 out of my hands. But it will be something to look forward to when I up lorazepam to an x-t4 a couple years down the road :)

AF speed is quite noticeable. Going from a single processor to a quad processor fuji really took advantage of this upgrade.

My style of photography I often turn "eye AF" off on my Sony. People certainly do love the feature but I only use it when there is one human subject in the frame. For events photography I can find a camera making judgement of who it focuses on is dangerous.

The X-T3 was extremely responsive. I would consider the X-t3 navigation speed where it should have been with the X-t2. I think the loyal Fuji shooters will be so pleased with the X-t3 if they demand fast AF for events. For your casual shooters the X-t2 will be a happy choice due to price point.

X-t3 now has blue tooth remote activation so the reliability of triggering has improved on range and accuracy. When I used the wifi remote it dropped signal from time to time when I had it on my long paint pole signature shots.

The X-T3 AF is something I'd love to test out. According to the Fuji rep it's suppose to "help" resolve the complaints of hunting in low light.

If I was a dedicated one system Fuji guy shooting weddings I'd be buying a pair of them immediately. My X-t2 feels slow and outdated by more than just one generation.

Purely speaking text book/spec sheets I really am hopeful that Fuji crop sensor is able to squeeze out improvements in the high iso department and add IBIS to in the X-t3.

I discussed with the Fuji rep that I experience hunting with my X-t2. He did not deny that mirrored bodies experience is different. He's hopeful the X-t3 is a big improvement. The AF is suppose to be greatly improved now in the XT3.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 85 mkII L | | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji - gone
Sony 2 x A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | GM16-35 f/2.8 | Sigma 24-70 ART | GM70-200 f/2.8 |Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Sigma ART 35 f/1.2 | FE85 f/1.8 | Sigma ART 105 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS & V1S

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
7,732 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Sep 15, 2018 11:43 |  #8509

Osa713 wrote in post #18708254 (external link)
Alan if you buy the X-T3 and still have issues its a requirement you sell your entire kit, lol.

When I used the Micro 4/3 system the forums heavily discussed the the advantages of IBIS. Mind you they fully understood the limitations of the file quality at high ISO's. This is why many used lower shutter speeds and lower ISO to attempt to retain cleaner files. Oddly they never complain about motion blur :rolleyes:

Fuji's high iso is impressive for aps-c. Tagging on IBIS for stills would have been a nice addition.

The Fuji rep hinted there maybe a fast track for an X-H2. That'll really tick off Fuji shooters that bought into the "hybrid" Xh1. I really find the X-H1 grip to be quite large and less ergonomic as my 5dmk4. It'd be interesting to how a larger body with aps-c will do now as the competition has gotten harder now with "soon to be" evolving Canon EOS R and Nikon z6/7.

I really did consider buying the XT3 but even the Fuji rep did not make the X-t3 sound promising in improvements in high iso performance. I'll wait and see if for more real world reviews.

The really did love my 10-24mm as it was the only real UWA alternative to Fuji. After testing the 8-16mm f/2.8 the IQ is no different than the 10-24mm. Same colour and render with not difference in sharpness that I could see with my limited photos. The struggle of me selling the 10-24mm is high as no one really wants it now due to the 8-16mm. Also the 2600 CDN sticker price is not far off from Canon 16-35mk3 or even GMaster 16-35f/2.8 with more reach.

Many things to consider........

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 85 mkII L | | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji - gone
Sony 2 x A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | GM16-35 f/2.8 | Sigma 24-70 ART | GM70-200 f/2.8 |Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Sigma ART 35 f/1.2 | FE85 f/1.8 | Sigma ART 105 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS & V1S

PLLphotography
with the TF
5,244 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 15, 2018 11:51 |  #8510

AlanU wrote in post #18708518 (external link)
The Fuji rep hinted there maybe a fast track for an X-H2. That'll really tick off Fuji shooters that bought into the "hybrid" Xh1. I really find the X-H1 grip to be quite large and less ergonomic as my 5dmk4. It'd be interesting to how a larger body with aps-c will do now as the competition has gotten harder now with "soon to be" evolving Canon EOS R and Nikon z6/7.

For my needs, even my old XT-1 performed admirably for soccer, which I only do for a few months twice a year. My main focus is portraiture where the people aren't moving much. :)

I don't lust over the latest and greatest, otherwise I'd never be happy or out there shooting. It'd be a constant pity party over what my gear didn't have as far as features. Sad way to live.

As far as an XH-2 coming out and XH-1 owners being pissed, I'm perfectly fine with the XH-1. I technically got it for "free".

I keep my gear insured. When my X-Pro 2's shutter button broke, my insurance company quickly cut me a check to replace it. No questions asked. I was going on vacation the next week, and the XH-1 had just come out, so I splurged and got it. I later sent my X-Pro 2 to Fuji to get repaired for $400... so I guess "technically" I spent $400 on a brand new XH-1. ;)

Phillip - phillipwardphotography​.com (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Donate to POTN

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
3,861 posts
Gallery: 377 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Apr 2014

Sep 15, 2018 15:49 |  #8511

The Boy ordering what boys do when at the seaside, even if it's a little cold out.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Fujifilm cameras and lenses.
Gear List (external link)Instagram (external link)Blog (external link)
Coffee & Fujis (external link)About Capture One (external link)YouTube (external link)

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
3,861 posts
Joined Apr 2014
Post edited over 2 years ago by Two Hot Shoes.

Sep 16, 2018 12:11 |  #8512

The reward for saying please. Mint with chocolate sauce and a flake.

HOSTED PHOTO

This is where we spent the weekend, well between where I took this photo and the top of that hill.

IMAGE: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1864/44001554264_b7146f2a7d_h.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2a3g​t6j  (external link) Tara Hill Co Wexford (external link) by Kim Farrelly (external link), on Flickr

Coffee & Fujis (external link)About Capture One (external link)YouTube (external link)

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
6,074 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2008
Post edited over 2 years ago by kirkt. (13 edits in all)

Sep 16, 2018 14:38 |  #8513

Naturalist wrote in post #18705228 (external link)
Thinking of bailing from Canon and doing the Fuji thing but I'm wondering how the bodies compare to 7D MK II and if I'll have regrets with Fuji glass over Canon.
What say you all?

After shooting Canon 5D (I, II, III, IV) since the release of the original 5D, I switched to the Fujifilm X system and the X-H1 a few months ago - the decision to switch took almost two years, although it became a serious consideration within the last 6 months prior to switching. There are several things I considered and continue to appreciate...

The full-frame versus APS-C flame wars are overrated. Would I like more pixels sometimes, regardless of sensor size? Sure. But the idea that you cannot make a "professional" image without a FF sensor is a weak assertion.

Fujifilm color and contrast (sensor + lens) is, in my experience, superior to Canon regardless of raw or JPEG. Even if I shot a subject with a Color Checker reference in the lighting I was using, Canon color was always a battle, especially at higher ISOs (the 5DIV started to overcome this problem in the shadow tones). I am still feeling out and tweaking the X-H1's AF system, but that is user error most of the time, not a limitation of the camera. The Canon dual-pixel AF on the 5DIV was pretty sweet. The X-H1's IBIS is fantastic.

Canon as a company is a behemoth that seems to care little about what its civilian camera users want. Case in point, the EOS-R mirrorless pile they just served up. I spent almost two decades waiting for Canon to innovate (the 5D series, or otherwise - you know, a mirrorless FF?) and finally decided I had had enough of waiting for the unwieldy inertia of whatever their thought process is to create a camera that suited my needs. Their titration of minuscule advances for full retail pricing made me start to question the viability of continuing with Canon. Ironically, the most useful and useable advances made for the Canon 5D cameras were produced by the Magic Lantern firmware project and those firmware hacks and tools kept me wed to my Canon 5D's for probably longer than I would have otherwise.

I traded in my L and Zeiss lenses and camera bodies (I had an EOS-3 film camera too) and just closed the book on Canon. No transition, no renting a Fujifilm camera, nothing. I just did my research and looked at sample raw and JPEG output and knew that Fujifilm was the best system for my needs. I also considered Sony briefly, but could not stomach the company approach and the consumer electronic mentality of creating spec-monster cameras with little thought as to how they were used for image making.

In terms of Fujifilm's system - the glass is impeccable, more compact and less expensive than its full-frame Canikon and Sony equivalents. Color and micro contrast is superb and the options for adapting lenses is vast. I have not had the camera long enough to purchase adapted lenses, but I am planning on adapting Voigtlander and Pentax lenses. Some of the lenses in the line-up are older and their AF is slower than the more modern lenses, so consider the applications you will be using them for.

The camera and the shooting experience is much more enjoyable as well, from the controls and the ergonomics to the ease with which I adapted to the camera and was able to customize it. The film sims live up to their reputation. I was a 100 percent all the time raw shooter with the Canon, but have recently done a few shoots where I actually retouched the out-of-camera JPEGs in PS for the final image. That is a huge step for me and my workflow. Even so, I shoot raw+JPEG and can always reproduce any number of JPEG variants from the raw using Fuji X Raw Studio and the camera's processor. This creates interesting shooting possibilities - like placing the camera in Acros or B&W film sim mode while shooting to help focus on tone, rather than color, for composition and lighting evaluation. The raw will give you all of the color info for later processing, but the viewfinder will give you monochrome for tone and lighting. This is also a huge evolution in shooting technique for me.

The smaller, lighter system makes it easier to pack and ride/hike/carry too. Although subjective, I really want to shoot more for my personal enjoyment with the Fuji system compared to the Canon. I used to leave the Canon at home and shoot with a Ricoh GR when I was out and about, bu the Fuji is now coming with me more and more in those situations too.

The Godox radio strobe system is also terrific and more affordable than fuji strobes.

As you probably know, Fujifilm are also known for being attentive and regular in their firmware updates - the X-H1 has already gained focus bracketing, for example, since its release.

Etc.

I can only tell you from my personal experience that I have not regretted moving on from Canon.

Good luck,

Kirk

My kit:

X-H1
Godox X-Pro1 and TT685F x3 speed lights

XF 16 f/1.4
XF 35 f/2
XF 60 f/2.4 macro
XF 16-55 f/2.8
XF 50-140 f/2.8
Zeiss Touit 12 f/2.8

Attached is one of the retouched JPEGs I recently shot for a friend who is a bicycle frame builder. Shot with the 50-140, Provia film sim with the camera placed at ground level, with the tilt-screen tilted up so I could compose. Another handy feature. My Canons would have made a mess with all of the subtle reds in the paint on the frame. Also - being able to review images in the EVF is terrific, especially in daylight conditions.

EDIT: I use Capture One, Raw Photo Processor, Silky Pix Studio Pro and, occasionally, ACR as my primary raw converters (as well as X Raw Studio). I find that Capture One provides the most efficient workflow and best output. I typically sort and reject in Fast Raw Viewer prior to raw conversion.

HOSTED PHOTO

Kirk
---

Naturalist
Adrift on a lonely vast sea
5,525 posts
Gallery: 93 photos
Joined May 2007

Sep 16, 2018 20:27 |  #8514

Fantastic information Kirk and thanks for all of this!

Doug
My Gear List
http://www.douglasbrow​nsr.com (external link)
Entered: 2-16-84 Passed: 5-22-84 Raised: 6-19-84

Osa713
Goldmember
1,480 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited over 2 years ago by Osa713.

Sep 16, 2018 21:58 |  #8515

It’s a Great system that works for travel and “serious” work. The tones are awesome and pair them with Godox and it’s a lot of bang for your buck.

The shooting experience is golden, enjoy your kit!

LIGHT>LENS>BODY

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
7,732 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Post edited over 2 years ago by AlanU.

Sep 16, 2018 22:57 |  #8516

Naturalist wrote in post #18709399 (external link)
Fantastic information Kirk and thanks for all of this!

Have you decided to leave Canon yet?

Have you considered a X-t3 to demo?

I'll warn you that if you test an X-t3 extensively you will have a hard time shooting with an X-t2...especially that you shoot a blazing fast AF Canon 7dmk2.

Now that I've done some limited testing between my X-t2 and new X-t3 "the kid just went to the candy store" the taste of chocolate is really hard to shake ;) Joking aside the X-t3 really is a good bump in performance for AF speed.

If you like shooting long telephoto this is where you must determine if the new Fuji 200 f/2, 100-400 and 50-140mm is saving a lot of weight.

At this moment the talk about "saving size/form factor" is quite limited to the micro 4/3, Sony A6xxx series, Canon limited M50 system and Fuji. Otherwise September 2018 the newer generation FF mirrorless is going to take up a chunk of the mirrorless market.

Certainly the EOS R canon mirrorless is very basic at the moment but in due time the RF lens line will grow. Nikon z6/7 series already has a predetermined lens lineup indicating what will show up every year!!! Sony A6xxx users probably already feel phased out due to the A7/A9 series. Fuji will probably be the only big player in the mirrorless aps-c market.

What an insane camera world!!!

I'm just waiting to hear what loyal fuji are going to say about the 8-16mm f/2.8. Throw small form factor out of the discussion. This lens is like a fat mini Canon 85Lf/1.2 mk2. Sony's GMaster 16-35 weighs 1.5 lbs while the Fuji 8-16 weighs 1.77lbs!! it also looses the long end at 24mm FF equiv and f/2.8 aps-c is equiv to f/4 on a full frame. For only $400 Canadian $$ difference the Sony GMaster 16-35mm can be had. The Canon 16-35 f/2.8mk3 is 1.74lbs. The Fuji 8-16 feels very front heavy and quite unbalanced.

The world of small form factor exists in Fuji but many do not admit Sony FF also offers same dof equiv for about the same size as Fuji in many cases.

You will be the only person that can say "I do not regret going all fuji" or own a secondary system if your doing a transition or have 2 different systems. Just a matter of how you ramp up your gear. Cater to your needs.

After playing with the Fuji 8-16 I'm happily buying a 400 dollar more expensive GMaster Sony 16-35f/2.8 that actually weighs less than the Fuji 8-16mm for my other system.

I will say I'd regret only owning Fuji. This is where I see incredible versatility using multiple systems for different situations and reasons. It's always easy to dump/sell gear you do not use (regardless brand) . I can sell my Fuji 50-140mm and get equivalent dof with a Sony 70-200 f/4 OSS with my Sony system and save money. I wont mention EOS R :P since it's in such an infancy but at this moment the Canon RF mount 50mm f/1.2 is rated on top of the food chain in specs but RF lens selection is brutally lacking at the moment.

This is a matter of juggling your needs with gear.

No doubt you must test the X-t3 if you want top notch Fuji AF speed. You will never know until you buy/try ;)

HOSTED PHOTO

The 200mm is a beast of a lens. Awesome deal for only $7800 Canadian ($8736) for me but that includes the TC 1.4 :)

HOSTED PHOTO

Fuji - gone

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,768 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Sep 16, 2018 23:21 |  #8517

Man, I saw kirkt's post earlier and started writing out the comment "In b4 AlanU's negative response post", but I got distracted by other stuff and didn't post it... came back to the computer and it was too late :lol:

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-H1 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)www.LucasGPhoto.com (external link)

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
7,732 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Sep 16, 2018 23:29 |  #8518

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #18709523 (external link)
Man, I saw kirkt's post earlier and started writing out the comment "In b4 AlanU's negative response post", but I got distracted by other stuff and didn't post it... came back to the computer and it was too late :lol:

;)

Fuji - gone

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
3,861 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Sep 17, 2018 04:32 |  #8519

AlanU wrote in post #18709503 (external link)
I'm just waiting to hear what loyal fuji are going to say about the 8-16mm f/2.8. Throw small form factor out of the discussion. This lens is like a fat mini Canon 85Lf/1.2 mk2. Sony's GMaster 16-35 weighs 1.5 lbs while the Fuji 8-16 weighs 1.77lbs!! it also looses the long end at 24mm FF equiv and f/2.8 aps-c is equiv to f/4 on a full frame. For only $400 Canadian $$ difference the Sony GMaster 16-35mm can be had. The Canon 16-35 f/2.8mk3 is 1.74lbs. The Fuji 8-16 feels very front heavy and quite unbalanced.

The world of small form factor exists in Fuji but many do not admit Sony FF also offers same dof equiv for about the same size as Fuji in many cases.

You will be the only person that can say "I do not regret going all fuji" or own a secondary system if your doing a transition or have 2 different systems. Just a matter of how you ramp up your gear. Cater to your needs.

After playing with the Fuji 8-16 I'm happily buying a 400 dollar more expensive GMaster Sony 16-35f/2.8 that actually weighs less than the Fuji 8-16mm for my other system.

I didn't know Sony made a lens to compete with the 8-16mm F/2.8 Fuji lens. You mention their 16-35/2.8 but that is not a super wide it's just a wide. Now if there was a 12-24/2.8 G-Master your comparison might hold water but really, the 16-24 is not even close to the same league in wideness. That Sony's widest angle is 107º where the Fuji XF 8-16/2.8 is a much wider 121º & that is quite a bit wider. Would have been better to compare it to a Canon 11-24 F/4 or the Nikon 12-24 F/4 or Sigma 12-24 F/4 or even Sony's own 12-24 F/4 lens. Do you see the pattern?

You have to remember that the Fuji lens is a constant f/2.8 zoom not a F/4 zoom like all the others. So you get a stop brighter light for the wideness. There is no other lens like it out there. Depth of field between 2.8 and 4 at that wideness is so negligible it's not really worth considering but the extra light gathering is still one stop. Also you need to look at the optics of the lens and how it handles light, shape and sharpness as it moves to the corners of the image, Fuji have spend time on that aspect of it's design. At the end of the day it's an 8mm F/2.8 lens nothing else close to it out there to date.

I'm sure 'full frame' will continue to soak up a good market share as long as all the photographers keep saying you need 'full frame' to shoot professionally or you need to upgrade to 'full frame' for the ultimate QI (and we know it not, MF is). And lets not forget all the forum warriors throwing up the same sentiment for reasons why they need it for their snaps for instagram and facebook. With the my friend told me 'factual' statements as to why they take better shots because of their camera sensor size and then either post something random or refuse to post anything at all. You have to laugh, but really who cares what camera someone uses wether it's tiny APS-c or almost as tiny 135mm or a proper full frame camera that real photographers use as they need the best IQ possible :rolleyes:

Now I'm off to go capture some architecture for a client with my amateur camera - oh if only I'd spend more money on a 'professional full frame' camera. How will I ever manage to make it shooting with these toys :cry: Perhaps if the lighting is good I won't need to shoot at 102000000 ISO and lift the shadows 9 stops and recover the highlights and it would fit my hands and and and....

SuperSirLink
256 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Sep 2017

Sep 17, 2018 07:14 |  #8520

kirkt wrote in post #18709224 (external link)
After shooting Canon 5D (I, II, III, IV) since the release of the original 5D, I switched to the Fujifilm X system and the X-H1 a few months ago - the decision to switch took almost two years, although it became a serious consideration within the last 6 months prior to switching. There are several things I considered and continue to appreciate...

The full-frame versus APS-C flame wars are overrated. Would I like more pixels sometimes, regardless of sensor size? Sure. But the idea that you cannot make a "professional" image without a FF sensor is a weak assertion.

Fujifilm color and contrast (sensor + lens) is, in my experience, superior to Canon regardless of raw or JPEG. Even if I shot a subject with a Color Checker reference in the lighting I was using, Canon color was always a battle, especially at higher ISOs (the 5DIV started to overcome this problem in the shadow tones). I am still feeling out and tweaking the X-H1's AF system, but that is user error most of the time, not a limitation of the camera. The Canon dual-pixel AF on the 5DIV was pretty sweet. The X-H1's IBIS is fantastic.

Canon as a company is a behemoth that seems to care little about what its civilian camera users want. Case in point, the EOS-R mirrorless pile they just served up. I spent almost two decades waiting for Canon to innovate (the 5D series, or otherwise - you know, a mirrorless FF?) and finally decided I had had enough of waiting for the unwieldy inertia of whatever their thought process is to create a camera that suited my needs. Their titration of minuscule advances for full retail pricing made me start to question the viability of continuing with Canon. Ironically, the most useful and useable advances made for the Canon 5D cameras were produced by the Magic Lantern firmware project and those firmware hacks and tools kept me wed to my Canon 5D's for probably longer than I would have otherwise.

I traded in my L and Zeiss lenses and camera bodies (I had an EOS-3 film camera too) and just closed the book on Canon. No transition, no renting a Fujifilm camera, nothing. I just did my research and looked at sample raw and JPEG output and knew that Fujifilm was the best system for my needs. I also considered Sony briefly, but could not stomach the company approach and the consumer electronic mentality of creating spec-monster cameras with little thought as to how they were used for image making.

In terms of Fujifilm's system - the glass is impeccable, more compact and less expensive than its full-frame Canikon and Sony equivalents. Color and micro contrast is superb and the options for adapting lenses is vast. I have not had the camera long enough to purchase adapted lenses, but I am planning on adapting Voigtlander and Pentax lenses. Some of the lenses in the line-up are older and their AF is slower than the more modern lenses, so consider the applications you will be using them for.

The camera and the shooting experience is much more enjoyable as well, from the controls and the ergonomics to the ease with which I adapted to the camera and was able to customize it. The film sims live up to their reputation. I was a 100 percent all the time raw shooter with the Canon, but have recently done a few shoots where I actually retouched the out-of-camera JPEGs in PS for the final image. That is a huge step for me and my workflow. Even so, I shoot raw+JPEG and can always reproduce any number of JPEG variants from the raw using Fuji X Raw Studio and the camera's processor. This creates interesting shooting possibilities - like placing the camera in Acros or B&W film sim mode while shooting to help focus on tone, rather than color, for composition and lighting evaluation. The raw will give you all of the color info for later processing, but the viewfinder will give you monochrome for tone and lighting. This is also a huge evolution in shooting technique for me.

The smaller, lighter system makes it easier to pack and ride/hike/carry too. Although subjective, I really want to shoot more for my personal enjoyment with the Fuji system compared to the Canon. I used to leave the Canon at home and shoot with a Ricoh GR when I was out and about, bu the Fuji is now coming with me more and more in those situations too.

The Godox radio strobe system is also terrific and more affordable than fuji strobes.

As you probably know, Fujifilm are also known for being attentive and regular in their firmware updates - the X-H1 has already gained focus bracketing, for example, since its release.

Etc.

I can only tell you from my personal experience that I have not regretted moving on from Canon.

Good luck,

Kirk

My kit:

X-H1
Godox X-Pro1 and TT685F x3 speed lights

XF 16 f/1.4
XF 35 f/2
XF 60 f/2.4 macro
XF 16-55 f/2.8
XF 50-140 f/2.8
Zeiss Touit 12 f/2.8

Attached is one of the retouched JPEGs I recently shot for a friend who is a bicycle frame builder. Shot with the 50-140, Provia film sim with the camera placed at ground level, with the tilt-screen tilted up so I could compose. Another handy feature. My Canons would have made a mess with all of the subtle reds in the paint on the frame. Also - being able to review images in the EVF is terrific, especially in daylight conditions.

EDIT: I use Capture One, Raw Photo Processor, Silky Pix Studio Pro and, occasionally, ACR as my primary raw converters (as well as X Raw Studio). I find that Capture One provides the most efficient workflow and best output. I typically sort and reject in Fast Raw Viewer prior to raw conversion.
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by kirkt in
./showthread.php?p=187​09224&i=i89343792
forum: Fuji Digital Cameras

Couldn't agree more, although I have not had as many Canon bodies...

FujiFilm X-T2 & X-T3 | FujiFilm Lenses : XF 16mm F1.4 R WR | XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS | XF 16-80mm F4 R OIS WR | XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR
Nikon FM2n | Series E Lenses : 28mm/2.8 | 35mm/2.5 | 50mm/1.8 | 100mm/2.8 | 36-72mm/3.5 | 70-210mm/4
Helios 44m 58mm/f2

sponsored links

3,244,893 views & 17,275 likes for this thread
Fuji Users Unite - Post your comments, questions and images here
FORUMS Other Digital Cameras Fuji Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.