Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 17 Sep 2018 (Monday) 07:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Recommendation for ND Filter Please

Bogino
490 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2011

Sep 17, 2018 07:20 |  #1

Could I get a recommendation for a ND Filter for the following:

Destination is Iguacu Falls in Brasil.
Subject matter: Waterfalls of course
Camera: Canon 6D Mark II
Lens: Tamron 24-70 f/2.8

Thank You

Canon 7D Mark II; Canon 70-300mm "L"; Canon 100mm Macro; Tamron 24-70mm; Tokina 11-16mm 2.8

sponsored links
mcoren
624 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Mar 2015

Sep 17, 2018 18:32 |  #2

What sort of ND filter were you looking for? A 1-3 stop full ND to allow wider aperture or longer exposures in daylight? A high stop (6-15) full ND for a really long daylight exposure to get a "dreamy" effect of the moving water and mist? A grad to reduce the contrast with the sky?

I have a couple of Singh-Ray grad ND's from the Galen Rowell series. I have a 3-stop soft-edge that I use a lot on slightly overcast days, when the sky is much brighter than the ground, or when I can't avoid shooting toward the sun. I also have a 2-stop hard edge that I got for a trip to the Grand Canyon a few years ago but haven't really used much since.

Mike

Canon EOS 7D Mark II, EOS M5, and EOS 100 (film SLR)
A bunch of Canon lenses and a couple of Sigmas
A backpack, a bicycle, and a pair of hiking boots

Bogino
THREAD ­ STARTER
490 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2011

Sep 17, 2018 20:50 |  #3

mcoren wrote in post #18710146 (external link)
What sort of ND filter were you looking for? A 1-3 stop full ND to allow wider aperture or longer exposures in daylight? A high stop (6-15) full ND for a really long daylight exposure to get a "dreamy" effect of the moving water and mist? A grad to reduce the contrast with the sky?

I have a couple of Singh-Ray grad ND's from the Galen Rowell series. I have a 3-stop soft-edge that I use a lot on slightly overcast days, when the sky is much brighter than the ground, or when I can't avoid shooting toward the sun. I also have a 2-stop hard edge that I got for a trip to the Grand Canyon a few years ago but haven't really used much since.

Mike

"for a really long daylight exposure to get a "dreamy" effect of the moving water and mist?" <<--------This.

Canon 7D Mark II; Canon 70-300mm "L"; Canon 100mm Macro; Tamron 24-70mm; Tokina 11-16mm 2.8

JCseh
58 posts
Joined Sep 2018

Sep 18, 2018 13:23 |  #4

I'm headed to Bar Harbor in a month and wanted the same thing. A buddy of mine shoots around NYC to get nice cloud and smooth water movement and directed me towards the ND filters I was already considering. Since I'm a huge fan of B+W filters, I got a 3 stop and 10 stop. The 10 stop model number is 65-1066177, the 3 stop is 65-073102

jcturn1
126 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Joined Feb 2008
Post edited 6 months ago by jcturn1.

Sep 18, 2018 17:24 |  #5

Check out this buying guide from Breakthrough Photography, very informative and would apply to all brands.

https://breakthrough.p​hotography/pages/nd-buying-guide (external link)

AS_Photo
139 posts
Joined Sep 2018

Sep 18, 2018 17:32 |  #6

Well....it depends. What time are you planning on shooting the falls at? If at sunrise/sunset, then I'd by far say you need a Grad ND over just an ND, and at that time of day the light will be such that you should be able to get a sufficiently long exposure to smooth out the water without needing an ND to cover the waterfalls themselves. And to top it off, if you get a rectangular Grad ND it can be a regular ND just by moving it down so the transition isn't in the frame. Those falls have a fairly straight horizon line so the Grad ND should work pretty well. I typically recommend having 1, 2 and 3-stop soft-grad ND's with a filter kit like the Lee Foundation Kit that can hold 2-3 filters. NiSi also makes kits and filters that I've heard good things about.

If you're shooting mid-day then yeah you will want an ND that covers the whole frame to increase your exposure time.

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,063 posts
Gallery: 1508 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013
Post edited 6 months ago by MalVeauX.

Sep 18, 2018 17:35 |  #7

Heya,

Haida Silm PRO II 10-stop is excellent without being the most expensive. Pair with a good CPL such as a Marumi DHG CPL.

Inexpensive while being essentially indistinguishable from the stuff that costs 2~3 times as much.

I sold all my Lee kit after and don't regret it. The color, sharpness, and flare handling is great and it doesn't require a bunch of extra filter holder equipment.

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4532/23946356477_510a152433_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/Cu4k​v8  (external link) X10S9532 copy (external link) by Martin Wise (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4567/23946357997_0caf358ba0_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/Cu4k​Xk  (external link) DSCF6604 copy (external link) by Martin Wise (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4562/38094984554_c34fb5e999_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/213j​KGw  (external link) DSCF6597 (external link) by Martin Wise (external link), on Flickr

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Ah-keong
949 posts
Gallery: 69 photos
Joined Apr 2016

Sep 19, 2018 01:58 |  #8

I recommend Hoya ProND 100 (6.66 stop).  :p

Canon 7D2+grip | 18-35mm ART | EF-S 10-18mm | EF 70-200mm f/2,8L IS II | ZE 2/100mm | ZE 2/35mm | ZE 1,4/85mm | CV 3,5/20mm | Nikkor 60mm f/2,8D |
Olympus E-PL3 | 7-14mm f/2,8 |
Speedlite 430EX III-RT | 600EX-RT | YN 600EX-RT |
Manfrotto BeFree Travel Tripod |

sponsored links

3,447 views & 2 likes for this thread
Recommendation for ND Filter Please
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.