Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 26 Aug 2012 (Sunday) 12:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

International Warranty?

Speedster159
564 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Aug 26, 2012 12:15 |  #1

Does US bodies and lenses come with International Warranty?

Panasonic HC-X1000 | GoPro Hero4 Black | 3770K

sponsored links
Saint728
Goldmember
2,892 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 26, 2012 14:10 |  #2

No, they come with a US warranty.

Take Care,
Cheers, Patrick

Canon EOS 1Ds Mark III | 17-40mm f/4.0L | 70-200mm f/2.8L USM | 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro | 300mm f/4.0L IS
Click Here To See My Gear
Click here to see my Flickr (external link)
http://www.runryder.co​m/helicopter/gallery/9​019/ (external link)

Speedster159
THREAD ­ STARTER
564 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Aug 26, 2012 17:12 |  #3

Why do some bodies have international warranties?

Panasonic HC-X1000 | GoPro Hero4 Black | 3770K

lannes
Goldmember
4,370 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Aug 26, 2012 17:34 |  #4

all canon DSLR bodies and now of a lot of lenses, have only country of purchase warranties.

A lot of companies that offer international warranties when selling Canon equipment , are offering that themselves rather than with canon directly, so what you will need to return the item to help to claim a warranty. In several instances they will try to fix things themselves rather than use Canon directly in their home country. The upside to this arrangement which is called "grey marketing", is that the goods are cheaper. The official canon warranties are usually only 1 year, but even without an official warranty they will repair the product, you'll just have to pay for it.

If your worried about the one year warranty, it's best to get the item from an authorized canon dealer, that way the warranty will be honored by Canon.

Here is a list of USA authorized dealers

http://www.usa.canon.c​om …anonAuthorizedD​ealers.pdf (external link)

1Dx, 1DM4, 5DM2, 7D, EOS-M, 8-15L, 17-40L, 24 TSE II, 24-105L, 50L, 85L II, 100L, 135L, 200L f/2.8, 300L f/4, 70-200L II, 70-300L, 400Lf/5.6

Saint728
Goldmember
2,892 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Aug 26, 2012 17:38 |  #5

I guess it depends on where you buy it from? Grey market bodies will have an International warranty. Any camera body bought in the US from an authorized Canon dealer will have a US warranty.

Take Care,
Cheers, Patrick

Canon EOS 1Ds Mark III | 17-40mm f/4.0L | 70-200mm f/2.8L USM | 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro | 300mm f/4.0L IS
Click Here To See My Gear
Click here to see my Flickr (external link)
http://www.runryder.co​m/helicopter/gallery/9​019/ (external link)

sreeraj
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Sep 2018

Sep 16, 2018 10:31 |  #6

How to get international warranty for canon 4000D DSLR camera

sreeraj
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Sep 2018

Sep 16, 2018 10:33 |  #7

How to get international warranty for canon 4000d DSLR camera

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,141 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Sep 18, 2018 06:50 |  #8

sreeraj wrote in post #18709106 (external link)
How to get international warranty for canon 4000d DSLR camera

An "international warranty" is just a retailer warranty. It means the camera is a grey market import and as such not covered by the local Canon warranty so the company that sells it offers their own (or will ship it back to the country where it was made).

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,276 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 5 months ago by Wilt. (3 edits in all)

Sep 18, 2018 12:47 |  #9

Dan Marchant wrote in post #18710465 (external link)
An "international warranty" is just a retailer warranty. It means the camera is a grey market import and as such not covered by the local Canon warranty so the company that sells it offers their own (or will ship it back to the country where it was made).

^^^ although I would not call it a 'retailer warranty' necessarily.

It has long been that a camera purchased in the USA has the warranty terms of the official distributor to USA, and a camera purchased elsewhere (for example while you were travelling abroad) came with 'International Warranty'...the USA warranty might have better terms than the International warranty. Tamron USA has a 6 year warranty, while the International warranty is only for ONE year. It might (or might not) be necessary to return the broken item to the manufacturer for warranty claim under International warranty. In purchasing Olympus OM gear abroad, I know this to be true, the distinction between International Warranty and Olympus warranty in US back 40 years ago.

But things change! Here is Olympus stated policy today

"Olympus Corporation has been providing Worldwide warranty for digital cameras and accessories since April 1, 2004, except for some countries and regions.
However, the time has come to stop providing Worldwide warranty because of regulation by laws and differences in the infrastructure of the repair facilities in individual countries.
Please kindly be informed that Worldwide warranty will not be provided with most of our Micro Four Thirds System and compact digital camera products shipped after September of 2014.

"The Worldwide warranty card you have, is currently still valid as long as it meets the conditions required for warranty repair. Also, the Worldwide warranty card enclosed with the new products which you purchase from now, is also valid. Local warranty card is valid only in the country where you purchase the product and all repairs undertaken in other countries will be a chargeable service.

"Please be informed that the worldwide warranty is not available in some countries and areas. For the availability of the worldwide warranty, please refer to the "Olympus Authorized Distributor List" and contact our Service Station or Distributor."

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,614 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Sep 19, 2018 14:20 |  #10

Just to be clear: I just bought a Canon 5D4 and the warranty specifically says for US and Canada (so you can buy from an authorized dealer in US or Canada to get Canon service in those areas). You have to be careful about cheaper prices you see on E-bay. A lot of sellers from NJ and NYC are not authorized and include a 3rd party warranty (they also will sometimes pressure you to buy one of their 3 year or 5 year warranties).

Canon 5D mk IV
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

sponsored links

2,492 views & 0 likes for this thread
International Warranty?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.