Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 26 Sep 2005 (Monday) 09:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Whats Your Favourite Joke? (TOTALLY unrelated to photography)

Roy ­ Mathers
I am Spartacus!
38,291 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2006
Post edited 4 months ago by Roy Mathers.

Sep 20, 2018 07:37 |  #7891

I just don't understand why people can't relax and enjoy a decent joke without getting so easily offended over everything!

sponsored links
Pippan
Goldmember
1,380 posts
Gallery: 85 photos
Joined Oct 2015

Sep 20, 2018 07:39 |  #7892

Roy Mathers wrote in post #18711809 (external link)
I just don't understand why people can't relax and enjoy a decent joke without getting so easily offended over everything!

You mean like John's tree jokes?

— Please feel free to offer your thoughts on how I might improve my images —

AZGeorge
Goldmember
2,451 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 20, 2018 08:27 |  #7893

Roy Mathers wrote in post #18711809 (external link)

Sorry. Roy. I tried to explain and failed. Perhaps that's because I was not offended myself and know only second hand how our casual old boy humor can make life harder for women and girls.

Perhaps we can understand it like the use of cilantro. I like it a lot but do not include it in a mail dish to be shared with guests because, for some people, it tastes like soap.

George
Democracy Dies in Darkness

Roy ­ Mathers
I am Spartacus!
38,291 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 20, 2018 08:33 |  #7894

Pippan wrote in post #18711811 (external link)
You mean like John's tree jokes?

You've picked an unfortunate example there, as I unfollowed John ages ago! :-)

Roy ­ Mathers
I am Spartacus!
38,291 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 20, 2018 08:36 |  #7895

AZGeorge wrote in post #18711834 (external link)
Sorry. Roy. I tried to explain and failed. Perhaps that's because I was not offended myself and know only second hand how our casual old boy humor can make life harder for women and girls.

Perhaps we can understand it like the use of cilantro. I like it a lot but do not include it in a mail dish to be shared with guests because, for some people, it tastes like soap.

You've lost me there George. I don't know what cilantro is. Nor, for that matter, do I know what a mail dish is!

OhLook
Spiderwoman
17,815 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Sep 20, 2018 10:43 |  #7896

Roy, cilantro is an herb used in Mexican cuisine. It looks much like parsley but has a strong flavor that I dislike. More information about cilantro is easy to find. Indeed, the basic information I just gave is also easy to find.

If you don't understand what's wrong with jokes that turn on an old, tired stereotype of some class of people as irrational and inept, I suppose you'll have to wait for a joke that similarly derogates a group you belong to.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

Roy ­ Mathers
I am Spartacus!
38,291 posts
Joined Dec 2006
Post edited 4 months ago by Roy Mathers.

Sep 20, 2018 11:03 |  #7897

OhLook - Thank you. Do you know what a mail dish is?

Foreigners very often make jokes about Brits and I can honestly say that I have never been offended, but perhaps I'm not as easily offended as some.

By the way, I think you may have meant 'denigrate' not 'derogate' :-)

OhLook
Spiderwoman
17,815 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Sep 20, 2018 11:29 |  #7898

Roy Mathers wrote in post #18711950 (external link)
OhLook - Thank you. Do you know what a mail dish is?

Foreigners very often make jokes about Brits and I can honestly say that I have never been offended, but perhaps I'm not as easily offended as some.

By the way, I think you may have meant 'denigrate' not 'derogate' :-)

I don't know "mail dish." It may have been a typo.

Jokes about Brits exist in a different social and historical context than jokes about groups that are discriminated against in ways that do tangible harm. Stereotypes of women and some ethnicities, nationalities, or sexual orientations contribute to continued ill treatment by supporting attitudes that justify it.

"Derogate," verb; "derogatory," adjective.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

Pippan
Goldmember
1,380 posts
Gallery: 85 photos
Joined Oct 2015

Sep 20, 2018 15:39 |  #7899

Roy Mathers wrote in post #18711841 (external link)
I don't know what cilantro is.

Much of the rest of the world calls it coriander.

— Please feel free to offer your thoughts on how I might improve my images —

GibJock
Kill killer
9,616 posts
Gallery: 43 photos
Joined May 2013
Location: From Scotland, living in Gibraltar "A Jock on the Rock"

Sep 20, 2018 15:44 |  #7900

Pippan wrote in post #18712113 (external link)
Much of the rest of the world calls it coriander.

Thanks, I didn't know that either. So I now know that I like cilantro!

flickr (external link)

chadmcm
306 posts
Joined May 2008

Sep 20, 2018 16:50 as a reply to  @ GibJock's post |  #7901

Cilantro is the leaf, coriander is the seed (at least that's how we refer to them here in the NW USA).

Chad McMurry
Vancouver, WA USA

icopus
v--- finally good for somethin'! 
2,633 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 20, 2018 18:18 |  #7902

Is college humor offensive?
Explanation -
Texas A&M Aggies refers to the students, graduates, and sports teams of Texas A&M University. The nickname "Aggie" was once common at land-grant or "ag" (agriculture) schools in many states. The teams are also referred to as "A&M" or "Texas Aggies,"...
And Texans enjoy a good natured poke at them. Aggie jokes lean heavily towards making fun of their lack of intelligence, though if you know the graduates, couldn't be further from the truth.

The joke -
The Aggie scientist set out to run an experiment. He placed a frog on a table and yelled "jump" real loud. Sure enough, the frog jumped.
Next the Aggie cut off one of the frog's legs and again yelled "jump." The frog again jumped, though not as far. The Aggie proceeded to cut off the second and third leg and yell for it to jump. Each time the little frog did his best. Finally, the Aggie lobbed off the last of the frog's legs and yelled "jump" as loud as he could but the frog didn't move. Satisfied, the aggie turned in his report on the experiment in which he conluded:
If you cut off a frog's legs, he goes deaf.

It's my life and I'll get pissed if I want to.
"Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar." - E.R. Murrow

icopus
v--- finally good for somethin'! 
2,633 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Dec 2010
Post edited 4 months ago by icopus. (2 edits in all)

Sep 20, 2018 18:32 |  #7903

GibJock wrote in post #18712118 (external link)
Thanks, I didn't know that either. So I now know that I like cilantro!

To most Texans, salsa without cilantro is just another ketchup.

Salsa is any one of several sauces typical of Mexican cuisine, ... particularly those used as dips. Salsa is often tomato-based, and includes ingredients such as onions, chilies, an acid and herbs. It is typically piquant, ranging from mild to extremely hot. Though many different sauce preparations are called salsa in Spanish, in English, it generally refers to raw or near-raw sauces used as dips.

It's my life and I'll get pissed if I want to.
"Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar." - E.R. Murrow

GibJock
Kill killer
9,616 posts
Gallery: 43 photos
Joined May 2013
Location: From Scotland, living in Gibraltar "A Jock on the Rock"

Sep 21, 2018 00:30 as a reply to  @ icopus's post |  #7904

I know what a salsa is, just didn’t know cilantro.

I wish this thread would return to jokes as per it’s title. :oops:

flickr (external link)

OhLook
Spiderwoman
17,815 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Sep 21, 2018 11:06 |  #7905

GibJock wrote in post #18712450 (external link)
I wish this thread would return to jokes as per it’s title. :oops:

As soon as a discussion gets interesting, someone comes along and shepherds us back to the designated topic. :-( All right, then.

If you ever need money, think of me.

I need money too.

sponsored links

1,284,542 views & 1,690 likes for this thread
Whats Your Favourite Joke? (TOTALLY unrelated to photography)
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.