Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 05 Sep 2018 (Wednesday) 02:31
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "How's the new EOS-R stack up for you?"
It's Amazing!
26.5%
It's kind of a let down
33.8%
It's trash
8.5%
It's good for the price
23.5%
It helped me pick a new body
7.7%

189 voters, 260 votes given (3 choices choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

EOS-R - It's out. Thoughts?

this thread is locked
TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,589 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Sep 20, 2018 16:22 |  #1141

Trout Bum wrote in post #18712117 (external link)
I'd love to see that implemented- it'd be a hugh plus to be able to shoot at least some video handheld, sans gimbal.
(and yes, I know ———- already has that....)
That, and faster frames than my 5D4 has and I'd own one for sure. Smaller and lighter form-factor, even if only slightly, is appreciated as well.

That is what the EOS-R has, actually, so you will see it sooner than later.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

sponsored links
mdvaden
Goldmember
2,897 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 20, 2018 19:22 |  #1142

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18712018 (external link)
No shock at all with the fact that EF lenses will work as well as they do on today's DSLRs.... I would have fully expected that. Canon camera, Canon adapter, Canon lens = a great recipe for no performance issues.

Battery life is still pretty poor though, Rusty didn't really make me feel any better on that.

Poor? No --- not poor.

It may not be excellent, but a lot of my shoots are a couple hundred photos without live view. With a back screen going all the time, I consider 200 to 400 photos good battery life, and anything beyond as excellent or superb.

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

mdvaden
Goldmember
2,897 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 20, 2018 19:25 |  #1143

umphotography wrote in post #18712046 (external link)
after using the adapters on the A7iiivmad

I was extremely skeptical

If susan says its seamless then its a good to go. She pulls no punches

It was not just her statement, but that other photographers didn't raise any issue either that led me to believe that shooting adapted was most likely very reliable. Grimes is one more building block on the feedback.

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,589 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited 6 months ago by TeamSpeed. (3 edits in all)

Sep 20, 2018 19:29 |  #1144

mdvaden wrote in post #18712254 (external link)
Poor? No --- not poor.

It may not be excellent, but a lot of my shoots are a couple hundred photos without live view. With a back screen going all the time, I consider 200 to 400 photos good battery life, and anything beyond as excellent or superb.

The rating is about 1/3 of that of the 5D4. That isn't good. The rating of the EOS-R is about that of the SL2 with its small battery. I don't like the battery life on that, so this bothers me a bit here. 300-400 on an LP-E6 is dismal IMO. I can shoot an entire 3 hour game on a single battery now with the 5D4 and LPE6, chimping and using web services to transmit photos. :(

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

mdvaden
Goldmember
2,897 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Post edited 6 months ago by mdvaden.

Sep 20, 2018 19:42 |  #1145

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18712256 (external link)
I don't like the battery life ... SNIP (

There's your answer. You don't like it. If find 300 photos or so a good thing. Here's a question for you and everybody else. And it's not a question for debate, I'm just curious what other think.

What's a good price tag for an EOS R MK ii ?

Personally, I prefer the batteries is uses because I have many for my 5DS. But let's say Canon comes out with what's a more "pro" model with several extra features some others like. If it got 2 card slots, maybe IBIS and 4K video without crop and one or two other tweaks, what's it worth? Presently, I think the the EOS R is worth the $2299 asking price. An upgraded model would seem worth anything between that up to the cost of a 5D Mk iv if it could do most of the same or extra. $2800 would sound good to my ears. Others .. what sounds good to you?

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
15,564 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 20, 2018 20:38 |  #1146

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18712256 (external link)
The rating is about 1/3 of that of the 5D4. That isn't good. The rating of the EOS-R is about that of the SL2 with its small battery. I don't like the battery life on that, so this bothers me a bit here. 300-400 on an LP-E6 is dismal IMO. I can shoot an entire 3 hour game on a single battery now with the 5D4 and LPE6, chimping and using web services to transmit photos. :(

this has more to do with the processor I believe, Canon is likely simply rehashing old tech. Fuji for instance, has shown that better processing alone has been able to increase battery life. They essentially have the same life as canon, but half capacity batteries. Talking about the EOS-R mk2 at this point is a bit premature, we dont know the lifecycle, but I suspect 2 years.

I'm wondering how a high end model addresses battery life. Nikon already has a low and high end model, both have the same battery life issue.

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - CV 21/3.5 - FE 35/2.8 - SY 35/1.4 AF - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,589 posts
Joined May 2002

Sep 20, 2018 20:38 as a reply to  @ mdvaden's post |  #1147

I love it uses the LPE6 batteries, but it has the worst rating of any camera that uses the same battery, and there are many, dating back to 2009 or so.

mdvaden
Goldmember
2,897 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Post edited 6 months ago by mdvaden.

Sep 20, 2018 21:20 |  #1148

Charlie wrote in post #18712286 (external link)
this has more to do with the processor I believe, Canon is likely simply rehashing old tech. Fuji for instance, has shown that better processing alone has been able to increase battery life. They essentially have the same life as canon, but half capacity batteries. Talking about the EOS-R mk2 at this point is a bit premature, we dont know the lifecycle, but I suspect 2 years.

I'm going to speculate 1 year. Either a Mk ii or a higher end model. When I look back at the M series mirrorless, it looks like 3 changes of evolution over a few years. With Canon releasing high caliber new RF lenses, it seems to imply an upgrade or an extra model plus an upgrade next year. One or more new lenses wouldn't be a surprise.

I'm hoping more people buy the EOS R than really need it, to offer a few extra used deals too.

DTBaan
"male gigolo"
13,967 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Apr 2011

Sep 20, 2018 21:24 |  #1149

mdvaden wrote in post #18712254 (external link)
Poor? No --- not poor.

it is poor. but I've dealt with low battery life with the original Sony a7. luckily enough the batteries are small so having 1-2 spare didnt take much bag space. for weddings and other events it is bad. you could be missing a shot while having to change battery. sounds like a simple task, but when you turn off, open door, take out battery, insert another battter, close door, power on, it takes time and is a hassle when you're on the run. having the live view off doesnt help too much. As charlie mentioned, it's the processing. take alot of slow shutter pictures and you will see the battery drain.

but like you, most of the time I'm fine with 200-400 shots for personal outings.

mcoren
624 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Mar 2015

Sep 20, 2018 21:34 |  #1150

Charlie wrote in post #18712286 (external link)

The big power hog that this has that a DSLR does not is the EVF. Just about everything else should be similar to a 6Dii or a 5Div.

Mike

Canon EOS 7D Mark II, EOS M5, and EOS 100 (film SLR)
A bunch of Canon lenses and a couple of Sigmas
A backpack, a bicycle, and a pair of hiking boots

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,365 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 6 months ago by Wilt. (5 edits in all)

Sep 20, 2018 21:35 |  #1151

DTBaan wrote in post #18712325 (external link)
it is poor. but I've dealt with low battery life with the original Sony a7. luckily enough the batteries are small so having 1-2 spare didnt take much bag space. for weddings and other events it is bad. you could be missing a shot while having to change battery. sounds like a simple task, but when you turn off, open door, take out battery, insert another battter, close door, power on, it takes time and is a hassle when you're on the run. having the live view off doesnt help too much. As charlie mentioned, it's the processing. take alot of slow shutter pictures and you will see the battery drain.

but like you, most of the time I'm fine with 200-400 shots for personal outings.

Not ridiculing your statement, but retrospectively I do find it highly amusing, having covered weddings a few decades ago with a medium format film SLR which required this...

1. inserting dark slide at end of roll
2. pressing release button to remove film magazine
3. putting depleted film magazine away, pulling out a magazine with a fresh roll
4. attaching new film magazine
5. removing dark slide and advancing roll to first frame
6. repeat steps 1-5 as needed, and before all film magazines are depleted...do the following for every exposed film magazine
....pull out old roll, seal the paper seal and put roll in exposed film case, pull out new roll break the seal and load into film insert, place insert in film back.

so that 6 film magazines were sufficient to cover a wedding for 10-12 hours, resulting in 10-15 rolls of exposed film with 30 shots each...

...to then think that opening the battery door and replacing a run down battery every 300 shots could be so incredibly shot-losing an activity! bw!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

mdvaden
Goldmember
2,897 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Post edited 6 months ago by mdvaden. (3 edits in all)

Sep 20, 2018 21:39 |  #1152

it is poor. but I've dealt with low battery life with the original Sony a7. luckily enough the batteries are small so having 1-2 spare didnt take much bag space. for weddings and other events it is bad. you could be missing a shot while having to change battery.

I rarely miss shots because my cameras tell me battery life, or I know the models well enough to change in advance. I don't use grips anymore, and prefer to carry extra in pocket or bag.

Regarding the EOS R, it's rated supposedly around 370 shots per charge and 450 in power saving mode. If I found the right reference, the 5D mk iv is rated around 300 in live view. I always enjoy more capacity, but either of those is reasonable for my needs.

What the EOS R is actually getting for battery life is one bit of feedback I haven't read or heard yet. One website mentioned that a battery grip was available, but I didn't recall seeing one at Canon's website.

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18712287 (external link)
I love it uses the LPE6 batteries, but it has the worst rating of any camera that uses the same battery, and there are many, dating back to 2009 or so.

RE what I wrote above, it sounds like the EOS R can get more shots per charge than the 5D iv using iive mode, which would be one way to compare two bodies using screens.

soeren
Whoops Im not updated
535 posts
Joined Nov 2017
Post edited 6 months ago by soeren. (2 edits in all)

Sep 20, 2018 22:31 |  #1153

So poor batteri ratings were only a problem when it was on Sony cameras ;) now on Canon its ok :D
Though seriously things are not as bad as they look on paper. In real live you can get at least double up depending om your shooting style.

If history has proven anything. it's that evolution always wins!!

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
12,893 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Sep 20, 2018 22:35 |  #1154

DTBaan wrote in post #18711229 (external link)
Lol such a sony/Other brands hater. If canon is going in the right direction of optics and no gimmicks, why are they coming out with a mirrorless? .

There has never been any doubt that eliminating the flapping mirror would be a technological advancement. Canon realized that 'way back in 1972 with the pellicle mirror in a special edition of the F-1, and then again in EOS Rt in 1990.

The answer to "why are they coming out with a mirrorless" is because they knew it was the technological future, decades before Sony even got into the still camera business.

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
12,893 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004
Post edited 6 months ago by RDKirk.

Sep 20, 2018 22:45 |  #1155

Better than rewinding the film and changing cartridges every 36 shot.

Or changing roll film every 12 or 24 shots.

Hint from the past: When the battery meter first hits the last segment, take the next predictable lull in activity to change it.

sponsored links

115,858 views & 1,660 likes for this thread
EOS-R - It's out. Thoughts?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.