Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 05 Sep 2018 (Wednesday) 02:31
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "How's the new EOS-R stack up for you?"
It's Amazing!
26.5%
It's kind of a let down
33.8%
It's trash
8.5%
It's good for the price
23.5%
It helped me pick a new body
7.7%

189 voters, 260 votes given (3 choices choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

EOS-R - It's out. Thoughts?

this thread is locked
mdvaden
Goldmember
2,829 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 22, 2018 16:18 |  #1276

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18713528 (external link)
No, you can't. It won't mount.

You CAN modify an EF-S mount lens to fit an EF mount body, but it is often no simple task.

Are you referring to this method when you say "modify"

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

sponsored links
Strick
535 posts
Gallery: 85 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Aug 2007

Sep 22, 2018 17:01 |  #1277

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18713556 (external link)
Wow it is easy to understand that the EFS designation is one of physical design, ie the lens has a different mounting mechanism than an EF lens. Not hard at all...

But neither is our corporate coffee grinder with 3 settings, and the brewer with 3 settings, but a few continue to get confused that you don't grind at 1, then brew at 3, else you end up with colored water.

You just have to shake your head and chuckle. :)

It does not have a different mount. If that was the case then how could a body that accepts a EF-s lens also take a regular EF lens. It is not the mount, it is the design of the lens elements.

www.strickphotography.​com (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,264 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 5 months ago by Wilt. (4 edits in all)

Sep 22, 2018 17:07 |  #1278

mdvaden wrote in post #18713473 (external link)
Do you mean detect in the sense of changing operation with that type of lens compared to the RF?

Odds are it will record a model to EXIF data.

Canon was very vague with reference to EFS and the EOS R going into APS-C format size mode...they did not say HOW (automatically detect via lens communication (name), or the user specifies via Menu so that the camera is in crop mode for both Canon brand and for aftermarket lenses.

If we examine the user manual, we can see

IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/POTN%202013%20Post%20Mar1/EOS%20R%20crop_zps5jdojrvn.jpg

so we know explicitly the camera detects the EF-S lens (by what means, we do not know...does the camera 'know' via lens ID (name), or is there some physical switch activated by an EF-S mount?!)
and we know implicity that aftermarket crop lenses (which all use EF mount, none with EFS mount) could hypothetically work with camera in FF mode (but with vignetting), and you need to switch the menu to avoid vignetting.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

rantercsr
Goldmember
2,842 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Joined Mar 2014
Post edited 5 months ago by rantercsr.

Sep 22, 2018 17:21 |  #1279

Strick wrote in post #18713585 (external link)
It does not have a different mount. If that was the case then how could a body that accepts a EF-s lens also take a regular EF lens. It is not the mount, it is the design of the lens elements.

Theres an extra peice on the efs mount.
I removed it a couple of times so that i coule use themin a gh5 via a metabones speedbooster for ef lenses to mft

I got a couple of Cameras and lenses ...Canon, Sony, Fuji, Pansonic, pentax
My portraits IG (external link)My everything else IG (external link)
MY flickr (external link)
My latest YT video -->https://youtu.be/YzJ1o​eiHm7Y (external link)

sploo
premature adulation
2,400 posts
Joined Nov 2011
Post edited 5 months ago by sploo.

Sep 22, 2018 17:22 |  #1280

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18713528 (external link)
No, you can't. It won't mount.

You CAN modify an EF-S mount lens to fit an EF mount body, but it is often no simple task.
It's difference is not semantics when the two are NOT physically interchangeable.

I'll post the link to the EF-S mount page again, maybe it would help to understand?
https://en.wikipedia.o​rg/wiki/Canon_EF-S_lens_mount (external link)

Also, take a look at this Public Service Announcement created just for you;
https://suggestionofmo​tion.com/blog/canon-efs-vs-apsc/ (external link)

I'm surprised this topic has caused so much argument as it does seem rather simple to me; as already noted you can't mount an EF-S lens on a camera with an EF mount as there's a risk that the rear of the lens will hit the mirror.

Canon is obviously only producing crop sensor lenses for its own cameras, so they can take advantage of the fact they can make a smaller lens by allowing the rear of the lens to protrude inside the camera's mount. The EF-S mount being intended to prevent someone with an EF body accidentally damaging their camera by fitting one of these lenses with a protruding rear element.

Third-party lens manufacturers understandably wouldn't want to make a specific design for Canon bodies so their crop lenses won't take advantage of a protruding rear element. As such it doesn't make any sense for them to fit an EF-S mount on the lens because there's no risk to a camera with an EF mount; and as also mentioned on this thread some third party crop lenses are sometimes quite useful and usable on full frame bodies.

Thus, the Sigma 18-35 absolutely definitely has an EF Mount, not EF-S; otherwise I'd never have been able to use it with my 5D3.

I would note though that, if I recall correctly, there are some early (digital?) EF mount bodies that lack the physical parts that would prevent EF-S lenses being mounted.

Camera, some lenses, too little time, too little talent

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,614 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Sep 22, 2018 17:24 |  #1281

Jake (CyberDyneSystems) even took the time to give you links that described the difference with EF-S mount. Why don't you read those...or watch the video right on top of your post?? The EF-S mount protrudes so you can't mount it to a FF body (at least without modifications or adding to an extension tube). APS-C bodies (as Jake's link shows) has a recessed area to accept EF-S lenses...and the mount ring of the APS-C is the same diameter as EF (so APS-C bodies can accept EF or EF-S mount lenses).

Canon 5D mk IV
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

sploo
premature adulation
2,400 posts
Joined Nov 2011
Post edited 5 months ago by sploo. (2 edits in all)

Sep 22, 2018 17:34 |  #1282

mdvaden wrote in post #18713564 (external link)
Are you referring to this method when you say "modify"

Yes. That's an excellent video as it not only shows how to mount an EF-S lens on an EF body, it also demonstrates why it can be dangerous (the protruding rear element).

It is a great idea for 4k video though. I think he says the 4k crop on the 5D4 is 1.4, but it's 1.7. At 12mm that would be the equivalent of about 20mm in full frame terms; so actually quite useful for moderately wide angle video shooting. And the EF-S 10-22 is rather a lot cheaper than the 11-24L!

Camera, some lenses, too little time, too little talent

welshwizard1971
Goldmember
1,417 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Sep 22, 2018 17:39 as a reply to  @ Strick's post |  #1283

Sorry, it really does have a different mount, FF bodies can only accept EF lenses, but due to it's design, a cropped body can accept EF and EF-S lenses, Canon weren't stupid enough to design it in such a way as to put people off upgrading their lenses or give them an easier route to FF, like I did. I had 3 EF lenses on my 40D, as well as the EF-S ones, and when I bought a 5D, I sold the EF-S ones as they didn't fit the EF mount....

5DIII, 40D, 16-35L 35 ART 50 ART 100L macro, 24-70 L Mk2, 135L 200L 70-200L f4 IS
Hype chimping - The act of looking at your screen after every shot, then wildly behaving like it's the best picture in the world, to try and impress other photographers around you.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,379 posts
Gallery: 98 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Sep 22, 2018 17:43 as a reply to  @ Strick's post |  #1284

It seems others have either schooled you or tried so I have nothing more to add. Those that are not experienced in these things have quite a bit of good info on this thread to digest. ;)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,264 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Sep 22, 2018 17:49 |  #1285

I think confusion is created because Strick's idea of 'mount' is the design of the bayonet lugs...that is only PART of the definition of 'mount'.
In the case of EF-S, the mount also includes the part of the lens protruding into the body past the bayonet lugs.
And, as we have seen with the EF-R, the mount definition also includes the design characteristics of the assembly which carries the electrical contacts...both reshape the carrier, as well as adding more contact pins.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,379 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited 5 months ago by TeamSpeed. (4 edits in all)

Sep 22, 2018 17:55 as a reply to  @ Wilt's post |  #1286

The EFS mount is such that you cannot even insert not twist it into an EF mount. Almost every crop body has two mount orientations, the standard EF and the EFS, designated by the white marker, as on your 7d2. Every other FF and APSH and a couple of crops do not have that second mount orientation.

That is canon's way of constraining which can mount what. No other manufacturer makes an EFS mount that mounts on the white marker orientation, nor has the extended rear element.

I actually believe that an EFS lens has one larger 'lobe' than the other two, but don't have my crop gear here with me on location.

After nearly 15 years, there should be no confusion on this... :)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

davesrose
3,614 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Sep 22, 2018 18:04 |  #1287

sploo wrote in post #18713608 (external link)
Yes. That's an excellent video as it not only shows how to mount an EF-S lens on an EF body, it also demonstrates why it can be dangerous (the protruding rear element).

Indeed....I admit that I cringed when he demonstrated having the lens on a 5D4. His premise is that you should save up for body and that it's OK to use your current EF-S lenses. I wouldn't want to run the risk of ruining the mirror on a $3K camera. Personally, I also wouldn't fool with trying to see where vignetting starts with an EF-S lens on FF body. Based on the press about EF-S lenses supporting Super-35 crop (which is 1.4-1.5) seems Canon has ascertained all their EF-S lenses don't vignette at that sensor area. IMO, much safer and optimal to now get a Canon R that has adapter for true EF-S mount lenses (as apparently I have to be specific about mounts now):-) The Canon R is also a cheaper price point FF for crop shooters wanting to get into FF.

Canon 5D mk IV
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,379 posts
Joined May 2002

Sep 22, 2018 18:36 |  #1288

One trick in the past was to get a 1.4x extender that accepted EFS lenses and mount that onto FF. Very safe, gets rid of vignetting, but the iq of that extender was not the greatest, I believe. The kenko dgx, I think?

davesrose
3,614 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Post edited 5 months ago by davesrose.

Sep 22, 2018 18:46 as a reply to  @ TeamSpeed's post |  #1289

I saw a video with a guy using Canon EF-S lenses on a Canon extension tube as well. So yeah, less issues if using extension adapters. Just my opinion that it's not worth it to try modifying an EF-S lens for normal or regular use on the 5D4.

Canon 5D mk IV
smugmug (external link)

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
6,996 posts
Gallery: 69 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Sep 22, 2018 19:03 |  #1290

While we discuss a camera that is “unobtanium” for a while I happily use this fantastic combo :)

I use this in a casual nature with full confidence with dual cards.

I’m taking this to Disneyland and my Fuji as a backup. I will bring a GM16-35 for silent af video. IWill have dual cards for “fully backed up” important family documentation.

Even the interim solution of using adapted EF canon glass with EOS R for video will bzzzzt bztttt bzzzzzt bzzzt
In AF for vids.

I cannot stress how I am incredibly disappointed in the features canon deliberately excluded with the eosR.

Sony is my solution at this moment....casual nature amazing mirrorless.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 50-140 | TT685
Sony A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | GM16-35 f/2.8 | Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 | GM70-200 f/2.8 |Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS

sponsored links

112,975 views & 1,660 likes for this thread
EOS-R - It's out. Thoughts?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.