Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
Thread started 24 Sep 2018 (Monday) 09:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What is your favorite travel tripod?

Jarvis ­ Creative ­ Studios
Goldmember
2,478 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Aug 2013

Sep 24, 2018 09:21 |  #1

I'm looking for a sturdy but small travel tripod. Hoping to find something that can fold up to around 16-18 inches when collapsed. Primary uses will be for hiking and taking on vacation. Will be used with a Sony mirrorless system and variety of lenses, the largest most likely being the 24-70 G-Master. Budget is to be considered, but open to any price range as long as the quality matches the price.

WEBSITE (external link)
flickr (external link)
Sony ZV-1 || Sony a7RIV || Sony a9 || Sony FE 20mm f1.8 G || Sony FE 24-70 f2.8 GM || Sony Sonnar T* FE 55 f1.8 ZA || Sony FE 70-200 f2.8 GM OSS || Sony FE 200-600 f5.6-6.3 G OSS || Godox speedlights and strobes

sponsored links
Mike
ugly when I'm sober
15,397 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2006

Sep 24, 2018 09:29 |  #2

I just went to New York and took a Manfrotto Pixi Evo (external link) with me. It's very small and very lightweight but capable of supporting my 5DIV and 16-35L, it is perfect for when you don't want to carry a full size one around all day. This just went in my daysack and came out for this shot :)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.
Photo from Mike's gallery.

www.mikegreenphotograp​hy.co.uk (external link)
Gear
UK South Easterners
flickr (external link) Insta1 (external link) Insta2 (external link)

A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Mike
ugly when I'm sober
15,397 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2006

Sep 24, 2018 09:35 |  #3

I must say though, that it isn't very tall, only getting a few inches off the ground so be prepared to get low down with it!

www.mikegreenphotograp​hy.co.uk (external link)
Gear
UK South Easterners
flickr (external link) Insta1 (external link) Insta2 (external link)

A closed mouth gathers no foot.

THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,478 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Sep 24, 2018 09:37 |  #4

Mike wrote in post #18714816 (external link)
I just went to New York and took a Manfrotto Pixi Evo (external link) with me. It's very small and very lightweight but capable of supporting my 5DIV and 16-35L, it is perfect for when you don't want to carry a full size one around all day. This just went in my daysack and came out for this shot :)

Thanks. That's actually what I've been carrying as well. But it's not the greatest for hiking, as there isn't always a good flat surface to place it on. Especially in the middle of a river, on wet rocks, etc. That's why I'm looking for a more traditional tripod that can still fold down small. However, on a recent hike The Pixie with my A9 and 24-70 GM did get me this shot from a slick rock in the middle of the river. This was right before I fell in haha, but the camera was safe.

HOSTED PHOTO

WEBSITE (external link)
flickr (external link)
Sony ZV-1 || Sony a7RIV || Sony a9 || Sony FE 20mm f1.8 G || Sony FE 24-70 f2.8 GM || Sony Sonnar T* FE 55 f1.8 ZA || Sony FE 70-200 f2.8 GM OSS || Sony FE 200-600 f5.6-6.3 G OSS || Godox speedlights and strobes

Nick5
Goldmember
3,218 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2007
Post edited over 2 years ago by Nick5. (2 edits in all)

Sep 24, 2018 09:46 |  #5

Was looking for a travel tripod to throw in my suitcase while traveling to Paris and Dublin in 2013. Must be small enough, light and able to support heavy gear at slower shutter speeds...... Could there be?
At my local camera store they just picked up the MeFOTO line. As I had the entire line available I went top shelf first.
MeFOTO Globetrotter Carbon Fibre. Lighter than aluminum option. Folded up nicely in its own padded case is 18" (46 cm.) Small enough to put in suitcase.
3.8 pounds.
Ok, good...... But can it support my gear?

Canon 5D Mark III with Grip and a 70-200 f/2.8 L IS Mark II........ Yes sir it did. In both landscape and Portrait mode.
And is it tall enough for someone 5' 11" without bending their back. It is.......

SOLD!

This is not my primary tripod. But for traveling abroad or domestically, this tripod gets the job done.
The Globetrotter just returned from Helsinki, Stockholm and Copenhagan three weeks ago and will be in Prague in a week in the same working order as I bought it.
I highly recommend the Globetrotter CF for its intended use.

Canon 5D Mark III (x2), BG-E11 Grips, 7D (x2) BG-E7 Grips, Canon Lenses 16-35 f/4 L IS, 17-40 f/4 L, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II, 70-200 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/4 L IS Version II, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS Version II, TS-E 24 f/3.5 L II, 100 f/2.8 L Macro IS, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 17-55 f/2.8 L IS, 85 f/1.8, Canon 1.4 Extender III, 5 Canon 600 EX-RT, 2 Canon ST-E3 Transmitters, Canon Pixma PRO-10 Printer

THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,478 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Sep 24, 2018 10:02 |  #6

Nick5 wrote in post #18714835 (external link)
Was looking for a travel tripod to throw in my suitcase while traveling to Paris and Dublin in 2013. Must be small enough, light and able to support heavy gear at slower shutter speeds...... Could there be?
At my local camera store they just picked up the MeFOTO line. As I had the entire line available I went top shelf first.
MeFOTO Globetrotter Carbon Fibre. Lighter than aluminum option. Folded up nicely in its own padded case is 18" (46 cm.) Small enough to put in suitcase.
3.8 pounds.

Canon 5D Mark III with Grip and a 70-200 f/2.8 L IS Mark II........ Yes sir it did. In both landscape and Portrait mode.
And is it tall enough for someone 5' 11" without bending their back. It is.......

SOLD!

This is not my primary tripod. But for traveling abroad or domestically, this tripod gets the job done.
The Globetrotter just returned from Helsinki, Stockholm and Copenhagan three weeks ago and will be in Prague in a week in the same working order as I bought it.

Thanks Nick! This is exactly the type of info I was looking for. I'll check it out!

WEBSITE (external link)
flickr (external link)

SYS
Cream of the Crop
13,755 posts
Gallery: 479 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jul 2004
Post edited over 2 years ago by SYS. (2 edits in all)

Sep 24, 2018 10:55 |  #7

When I was searching for an ideal travel tripod few months ago, I looked for one that'd have to meet all following three requirements: 1) short enough to fit inside my carry-on bag when folded; 2) very light; and 3) sturdy enough to handle decent load. After much searching, I settled on Gitzo GIGT1545T Traveler Series 1 Carbon Fiber Tripod. Its specs:

Load Capacity: 22 lb
Max Height: 60.2"
Min Height: 8.6"
Folded Height: 16.7"
Leg Sections: 4
Weight: 2.3 lb
Carbon eXact Tubes; Reverse-Folding Legs
Traveler G-Lock Leg Lock System
Paid: $599

I paired this tripod with RRS BH-30 Ball Head with Compact Lever-Release Clamp, and I was ready to travel! I gave the combo a good workout during my three-week travel to South Korea just this past month. Without having to take the head off of the tripod, I was able to fit it inside my Swissgear backpack along with my laptop on board the plane, so that's how compact it is. Once in South Korea, I had my Canon 5DIII with L bracket and 16-30L lens atop rugged Seorak Mountain terrain where it was quite windy for self-timed family photos, as well as long exposure shots in a well-shaded brook down below. Very happy with the results. It came extremely handy in a crowded room full of people celebrating my aunt's 80th birthday for a group shot, as well.

The tripod can certainly handle any gear combination that I have: 5DIII with 24-70L or 70-200L f/2.8 or with 150-600 Sigma C. It definitely meets all three requirements to my thorough satisfaction.

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear

THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,478 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Sep 24, 2018 11:08 |  #8

SYS wrote in post #18714879 (external link)
When I was searching for an ideal travel tripod few months ago, I looked for one that'd have to meet all following three requirements: 1) short enough to fit inside my carry-on bag when folded; 2) very light; and 3) sturdy enough to handle decent load. After much searching, I settled on Gitzo GIGT1545T Traveler Series 1 Carbon Fiber Tripod. Its specs:

Load Capacity: 22 lb
Max Height: 60.2"
Min Height: 8.6"
Folded Height: 16.7"
Leg Sections: 4
Weight: 2.3 lb
Carbon eXact Tubes; Reverse-Folding Legs
Traveler G-Lock Leg Lock System
Paid: $599

I paired this tripod with RRS BH-30 Ball Head with Compact Lever-Release Clamp, and I was ready to travel! I gave the combo a good workout during my three-week travel to South Korea just this past month. Without having to take the head off of the tripod, I was able to fit it inside my Swissgear backpack along with my laptop on board the plane, so that's how compact it is. Once in South Korea, I had my Canon 5DIII with L bracket and 16-30L lens atop rugged Seorak Mountain terrain where it was quite windy for self-timed family photos, as well as long exposure shots in a well-shaded brook down below. Very happy with the results. It came extremely handy in a crowded room full of people celebrating my aunt's 80th birthday for a group shot, as well.

The tripod can certainly handle any gear combination that I have: 5DIII with 24-70L or 70-200L f/2.8 or with 150-600 Sigma C. It definitely meets all three requirements to my thorough satisfaction.

Right now the Gitzo Traveler Series 1 (Sony Alpha Model) is the one at the top of my list. Out of everything I'm seeing the traveler series is the most sturdy and well built travel tripod on the market, but I'm not sure if I'm ready to hand over $1000 US for it. Ii've also been checking out this Benro (external link) because it folds down smaller than any other similar travel tripod I've seen (less than 14"). But I'm afraid it won't be near as sturdy, as the max weight listed is only 13lbs. I have a full sized carbon fiber Benro tripod, and it's absolutely fantastic. Doubt I could find a better tripod even for twice the price of what I paid for it.

WEBSITE (external link)
flickr (external link)

SYS
Cream of the Crop
13,755 posts
Gallery: 479 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jul 2004

Sep 24, 2018 11:17 |  #9

Jarvis Creative Studios wrote in post #18714888 (external link)
Right now the Gitzo Traveler Series 1 (Sony Alpha Model) is the one at the top of my list. Out of everything I'm seeing the traveler series is the most sturdy and well built travel tripod on the market, but I'm not sure if I'm ready to hand over $1000 US for it. Ii've also been checking out this Benro (external link) because it folds down smaller than any other similar travel tripod I've seen (less than 14"). But I'm afraid it won't be near as sturdy, as the max weight listed is only 13lbs. I have a full sized carbon fiber Benro tripod, and it's absolutely fantastic. Doubt I could find a better tripod even for twice the price of what I paid for it.

One thing I've learned over 30 years in photography is never to make (repeated!!!) mistakes of purchasing tripods because I ended up spending more money over the years. I now buy what I think is perfect even if it's a bit of stretch on my budget. $1,000 on my tripod + head combo, and I'm not going to spend another penny on a travel tripod for the rest of my life, I assure you.

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear

RMyers
407 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Sep 24, 2018 14:47 |  #10

Nick5 wrote in post #18714835 (external link)
3.8 pounds.

SOLD!

Just to add to that, I cheaped out and got the aluminum instead of the carbon fiber Mefoto. Works really well, but a little lighter would have been nice. Fits in the panniers of my motorcycles for road trips too.

Rusty Myers
Austin, TX
http://www.SamMyersPho​tography.com (external link)

johnf3f
Goldmember
4,092 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

Sep 24, 2018 17:17 |  #11

I like the Gitzo G1550T for several reasons. Firstly it was cheap - the most important aspect! It folds down to 14 inches, is nice and light yet surprisingly rigid. Also I have it - that is important too.

Keep an eye on the used market as cheap Gitzo's do come up now and again - I have snagged a couple. New ones do come up at reasonable prices but that is rarer!

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
16,584 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 24, 2018 22:11 |  #12

SYS wrote in post #18714897 (external link)
One thing I've learned over 30 years in photography is never to make (repeated!!!) mistakes of purchasing tripods because I ended up spending more money over the years. I now buy what I think is perfect even if it's a bit of stretch on my budget. $1,000 on my tripod + head combo, and I'm not going to spend another penny on a travel tripod for the rest of my life, I assure you.

not entirely true....I have a RRS TQC, along with P0 + RRS clamp, absolutely amazing for photography, and it's my defacto tripod for most things, but it's on the heavy side sort of.

I have a series 0 benro that I will use for international travel.

My travel kit is slowly shrinking, my largest lens 360g.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Sony A7siii/A7iii/ZV-1 - FE 24/1.4 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 - 28-200 RXD
Panasonic G9 - Laowa 7.5/2 - PL 15/1.7 - P 42.5/1.8 - OM 75/1.8 - PL 10-25/1.7 - P 12-32 - P 14-140

THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,478 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Sep 24, 2018 22:11 |  #13

johnf3f wrote in post #18715167 (external link)
I like the Gitzo G1550T for several reasons. Firstly it was cheap - the most important aspect! It folds down to 14 inches, is nice and light yet surprisingly rigid. Also I have it - that is important too.

Keep an eye on the used market as cheap Gitzo's do come up now and again - I have snagged a couple. New ones do come up at reasonable prices but that is rarer!

Thanks. Seems that one is harder to come by as it's been discontinued and no one has it in stock. Also was looking for something that could hold a little more than 9lbs. Not that I think I'll be maxing that out, but I figure the higher it's rated for, the more sturdy and well built it will be.

WEBSITE (external link)
flickr (external link)

THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,478 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Sep 24, 2018 22:15 |  #14

Charlie wrote in post #18715336 (external link)
not entirely true....I have a RRS TQC, along with P0 + RRS clamp, absolutely amazing for photography, and it's my defacto tripod for most things, but it's on the heavy side sort of.

I have a series 0 benro that I will use for international travel.

My travel kit is slowly shrinking, my largest lens 360g.

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Charlie in
./showthread.php?p=187​15336&i=i159357588
forum: Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Charlie in
./showthread.php?p=187​15336&i=i5433231
forum: Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support

I love my Benro TMAC8CL and B3 ballhead. Best tripod I've ever used. But it is too large to take on planes (unless in checked luggage) and is cumbersome for hiking as well. Great for on the job photography though or in a place where there are high winds / I know I'll need a sturdy, tall tripod. Both your tripods look relatively small. That Benro looks tiny. How much weight can that hold?

WEBSITE (external link)
flickr (external link)

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
16,584 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 24, 2018 22:20 |  #15

Jarvis Creative Studios wrote in post #18715341 (external link)
I love my Benro TMAC8CL and B3 ballhead. Best tripod I've ever used. But it is too large to take on planes (unless in checked luggage) and is cumbersome for hiking as well. Great for on the job photography though or in a place where there are high winds / I know I'll need a sturdy, tall tripod. Both your tripods look relatively small. That Benro looks tiny. How much weight can that hold?

Hardly anything TBH, while the RRS was out with a 600 prime no issues earlier tonight. A7R3 + FE 85 is as heavy as I'll go with this, so under 3 lbs lol.

Sony A7siii/A7iii/ZV-1 - FE 24/1.4 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 - 28-200 RXD
Panasonic G9 - Laowa 7.5/2 - PL 15/1.7 - P 42.5/1.8 - OM 75/1.8 - PL 10-25/1.7 - P 12-32 - P 14-140

sponsored links

4,733 views & 20 likes for this thread
What is your favorite travel tripod?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.