Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 05 Sep 2018 (Wednesday) 02:31
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "How's the new EOS-R stack up for you?"
It's Amazing!
26.5%
It's kind of a let down
33.8%
It's trash
8.5%
It's good for the price
23.5%
It helped me pick a new body
7.7%

189 voters, 260 votes given (3 choices choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

EOS-R - It's out. Thoughts?

this thread is locked
Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
15,747 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 24, 2018 18:51 |  #1411

umphotography wrote in post #18715036 (external link)
I think I heard and read -6 EV with the new 50R

If that is indeed true

then Its a no brainer for a wedding photographer to invest into a dual card EOS-R body and the 50R

That means you can track in the dark and that opens up avenues of creative freedom. A clean sensor at 25K, -6 EV and the world is your oyster. Unlimited possibilities.

And we are almost there now with what we have. The 1Dx2 is a beast in the dark. Speedlights in ETTL in Minus settings or video lights kills it at receptions

so yeah advantages with these features

That spec is using one shot AF, not Servo.

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - CV 21/3.5 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

sponsored links
Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
15,747 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 24, 2018 18:57 |  #1412

mdvaden wrote in post #18715213 (external link)
Obviously the Sony cameras are good. I never owned any Sony glass, but if the Sony glass is "full on" great as someone posted in this thread or a related one about the EOS R lately, what would the draw back to Canon be if Sony already has everything?

My main reason for EOS R / Canon is I own Canon glass and Canon cameras work fine. But I'm still curious why folks would switch back to Canon from Sony. Unless maybe they want to own both.

Familiarity. Many folks have difficulty learning new gear.

My own brother switched to Sony, then right back to canon. He’s not the technical savvy type, so it was too much... he is switching to Sony again, but I suspect he’ll give up again.

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - CV 21/3.5 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

DTBaan
"male gigolo"
14,032 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Apr 2011

Sep 24, 2018 20:00 |  #1413

Obviously the Sony cameras are good. I never owned any Sony glass, but if the Sony glass is "full on" great as someone posted in this thread or a related one about the EOS R lately, what would the draw back to Canon be if Sony already has everything?

My main reason for EOS R / Canon is I own Canon glass and Canon cameras work fine. But I'm still curious why folks would switch back to Canon from Sony. Unless maybe they want to own both.

most prefer the canon colors and lenses. also the ergonomics and the hate for the sony menu layouts.

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
7,195 posts
Gallery: 88 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Sep 24, 2018 20:15 |  #1414

When Canon produces a pro grade FF mirrorless I'll buy it.

At this moment what I am finding is Sony images look different. The way it renders is different enough that I like Sony images more when I shoot cars over my Canon.

I'm at a standstill with my Fuji gear. There are times I just simply love my Fuji files and IQ. However I prefer the DOF of FF while using zooms. I'm still keeping Fuji but I'm using my Sony A7iii alot more lately over my fuji gear.

I'm just liking my Canon mirrored bodies for serious work. I dabble with Sony and taking baby steps in that system. Fuji is strictly casual fun only but tempted to buy the Xt3.

I love Canon render too so don't get me wrong. I like Canon render when it comes to humans.....I'm getting much better in post processing my Sony RAW files so I'm getting much better results with sony now.

I do like the cleaner crisp images from Sony "if" i was into landscape. This is where RENDER is different so to be "cheesy" using different brands is like different brush strokes creating different "looks" :P

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 85 mkII L | | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | TT685
Sony 2 x A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | GM16-35 f/2.8 | Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 | GM70-200 f/2.8 |Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Sigma ART 105 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS & V1S

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,491 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Sep 24, 2018 20:17 |  #1415

DTBaan wrote in post #18715262 (external link)
most prefer the canon colors and lenses. also the ergonomics and the hate for the sony menu layouts.

Yeah, for sure.

I've been shooting Canon dSLR stuff since 2006. I waited a long time for Canon to offer up some stuff that was like the Sony alpha bodies. Finally, the V3 set of Sony stuff hit that point of being mature and having a lens line that met what I was looking for.

The Canon R is a belated resonse, and missing some stuff at that. Also, the lens set issued at release is not hitting what I'm looking for, but maybe these lenses are exciting for other people. I'll be interested f they come along with a lot more small, lightweight RF mount lenses.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
7,195 posts
Gallery: 88 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Sep 24, 2018 20:20 |  #1416

One from Fuji and one from A73 using adapted Canon 16-35 f/2.8mk2.

No Canon colours here but to prove a point using my Xrite passport colour checker the colour science changes in post to a degree.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 85 mkII L | | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | TT685
Sony 2 x A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | GM16-35 f/2.8 | Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 | GM70-200 f/2.8 |Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Sigma ART 105 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS & V1S

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,629 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 24, 2018 20:31 |  #1417

Charlie wrote in post #18715225 (external link)
Familiarity. Many folks have difficulty learning new gear.

My own brother switched to Sony, then right back to canon. He’s not the technical savvy type, so it was too much... he is switching to Sony again, but I suspect he’ll give up again.

This is probably me in a nutshell :-P:twisted:vmad

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

patrick ­ j
Goldmember
1,285 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 24, 2018 22:03 |  #1418

I hadn't gotten this from whatever videos I've seen, about how you can set that touchbar. I started the video a few seconds before he talks about how he set it. A minute or two earlier he talked about the ring on the lens that can be programmed, that sounds like it's going to be handy, since you usually have your hand on the lens for zooming, so it's going to be right there. (I read a few comments on the video, they are about what you might expect - How much is Canon paying him, etc)

https://youtu.be/wj7Fm​68evbU?t=576 (external link)

Flickr (external link)

elitejp
Goldmember
1,723 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Sep 24, 2018 22:51 |  #1419

What im getting out of this thread so far is that this is a good first attempt but I will probably wait for the second version etc.
Ive asked a couple of times in this thread why someone would want to buy this camera. The only reason I can explain for myself (so far) would be that im still in the canon ecosystem and I dont need to worry about any type of misfocus issues besides user error.

The eos r has the 5d4 sensor but it actually isnt as good as what the 5d4 has.
It has a million auto focus points and you can af just about anywhere which is awesome but its basically set to single shot because you cant track.

I really cant think of anything else that would set this new release apart from what canon or the competition already has.

Menu systems, color science etc are all just personal preferences and mostly have to do with what you are used to rather than one being better than the other

6D; canon 85mm 1.8, Tamron 24-70mm VC, Canon 135L Canon 70-200L is ii

mdvaden
Goldmember
2,978 posts
Gallery: 62 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 25, 2018 01:28 |  #1420

elitejp wrote in post #18715367 (external link)
I really cant think of anything else that would set this new release apart from what canon or the competition already has.

I can.

In ways, it's not the 5D iv ... but it has features the 5D iv doesn't have. It lacks a few features other brands have, but the EOS R has what should be the greatest legion of native lenses available. So I see it clearly standing apart. But can understand where it may not stand apart enough in some aspects for various photographers.

The new lenses with the extra ring and the adapter with the ring is something I am looking forward to also.

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

mdvaden
Goldmember
2,978 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 25, 2018 01:47 |  #1421

This guy is an adept presenter ...

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

elitejp
Goldmember
1,723 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Sep 25, 2018 02:57 |  #1422

Video Summary

1. He knows the controls so thats a plus for the canon r.

Im going to disagree and say controls and layout is learned so although helpful if you are already used to canon it shouldnt be a deal breaker or anywhere high on ones consideration list.

2. It can use a grip and so it feels like his 1dx but if you take the grip off then you can have a smaller camera.

I dont think I need to reply to this one.

3. He made a film with this camera.

Again, I dont think I need to reply to this.

4. He might switch to using this instead of his 1dx2.

Im calling bs on this.

5. It doesnt have 1080p 120fps so for him its a letdown, but because it has this limitation it will make him a better film maker as it becomes more challenging.

Really?! So I should recommend. this camera to others because it will be more of a challenge

6. FPS is slow in continuous shooting for photos

7. Back to filmmaking it has 8bit c-log. The 4k crop is neither bad nor good. Dynamic range is good.

I dont understand much about video so I dont know if other cameras have 8 bit c-log or not.

8. He likes it because it made his whole kit smaller when in the field.

I think every mirrorless is this way

9. Response time of the camera when shooting from a helicopter in cold weather seemed slow. But all the pictures seemed to have been instant.

10. Switching between video and stills isnt as easy as other cameras. But maybe he doesnt know how to use it properly. He admits to having to look around and figure out to do it so it wasnt instinctive.

I refer you back to the first point he made and also the subsequent point I made. This is all learned behavior.

Lenses

At 8:15 he changes to talk about the lenses.

10:25 when it comes to capturing moments with your photography you need to be as fast as you can.

Agree. But this camera with its fps or continuous focus features doesnt do that. The lenses would help though.

Adapters
Starts at about 11

You can use your previous canon lenses.

Thats definitely a plus if you already have canon

The ND filter is a good idea.

I would think this would be easy for other camera companies to do as well unless its patented to Canon

In the end and throughout the video he states how great this camera is.
After watching this video I still dont understand why its so great. Hopefully I was impartial in what i heard from him.

DTBaan
"male gigolo"
14,032 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Apr 2011

Sep 25, 2018 02:58 |  #1423

mdvaden wrote in post #18715453 (external link)
I can.

In ways, it's not the 5D iv ... but it has features the 5D iv doesn't have. It lacks a few features other brands have, but the EOS R has what should be the greatest legion of native lenses available. So I see it clearly standing apart. But can understand where it may not stand apart enough in some aspects for various photographers.

The new lenses with the extra ring and the adapter with the ring is something I am looking forward to also.

You cant call ef lenses native to the eos r. But it will be interesting to see if owners will stick to ef lenses with an adapter or go native.

There were very few Sony dslr shooters and when the a7 came out they would use the adapter to mount their Sony dslr lenses to the mirrorless but found it crumblsome to have the adapter along with the huge lens and eventually just stuck to native lenses. For most who had the idea of using the Sony camera body with their canon lenses end up going native for the faster af. I'm not trying to say Sony is the bomb.com. I'm just sharing what I've seen in the Sony group. There are alot more canon shooters so let's see how that differs.

My thoughts are if you plan to adapt your ef/dslr lenses to a mirrorless body, you might as well just stick to dslr body where ergonomics are there and the balance when using a heavy lens. Canon has the fastest and snappiest af I've experienced (canon. nikon. sony) so what's advertise for the eos r might not even matter.

mdvaden
Goldmember
2,978 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 25, 2018 03:06 |  #1424

DTBaan wrote in post #18715483 (external link)
You cant call ef lenses native to the eos r. But it will be interesting to see if owners will stick to ef lenses with an adapter or go native..

I'm more referring to the lenses as native to Canon, not all native to RF.

Probably why the adapted lenses work so well, because it was Canon working with it's own lenses and body and adapters prior to the launch. Whereas when Sony was transforming, there was Sony, metabones and and others in that mix.

elitejp
Goldmember
1,723 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Sep 25, 2018 03:12 |  #1425

I would assume ef lenses could be called native in its use but sometimes a hassle to use if that makes sense

sponsored links

125,031 views & 1,661 likes for this thread
EOS-R - It's out. Thoughts?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.