Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
Thread started 30 Sep 2017 (Saturday) 14:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Switching from DSLR to mirrorless

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,614 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Sep 26, 2018 11:51 |  #151

mystik610 wrote in post #18715834 (external link)
Yup. Computational AF with intelligent object detection, recognition, and memory is the future.

Sony's lock-on AF and face registration technically works like this already. It's just that the implementation hasn't been all that great because the computational power isnt there. But but just as we've seen eye AF improve to the level it's at now, as the processing power of mirrroless cams improve, we should see even more advanced capability in terms of object recognition and tracking

It's not so much computational power but maturation of software. Object and facial recognition software has steadily been improving as "neural networks" improve. Neural networks are based on actual photo libraries that provide datasets for first analyzing and then processing algorithms in object recognition in a photo. Because of popularity, human faces have had the most software development: however, there are other open source software that's for recognition of other objects. Creating datasets of different types of animals and their types of eyes/noses/mouths needs development time.

Canon 5D mk IV
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

sponsored links
Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,801 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 26, 2018 12:06 as a reply to  @ davesrose's post |  #152

But what I have in mind wouldn't require masses of pre-existing imagery.

The thing I'm thinking of would have the photographer supply the data. For instance, if I wanted to have the autofocus track a racquetball, then when I get to the court, I would take several photos of the racquetball, from different positions so that it isn't the same light falling on the ball in each photo and so that the backgrounds would be different in each photo.

I would then go to the PROGRAMMABLE OBJECT AF menu and select the "ENTER OBJECT" line. Then I would enter the racquetball photos that I just took. Then, when I'm shooting, the camera would use the data from those photos to detect the racquetball in the scene, and keep it in perfect focus at all times, no matter how fast it is moving or what crazy angles it is approaching the camera from.

I could then perform the same process when I'm shooting deer, or birds, or a football game, etc.

Tell the camera what to track by entering photos of that object right there on site. Why not?

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

davesrose
3,614 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Sep 26, 2018 12:43 as a reply to  @ Tom Reichner's post |  #153

Well there's not a frame of reference. Pre-existing neural libraries also have hundreds to thousands of photos they're based on (and from that, they have different maps for detecting boundries and angles of objects).

Canon 5D mk IV
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,243 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 26, 2018 12:58 |  #154

davesrose wrote in post #18716719 (external link)
It's not so much computational power but maturation of software. Object and facial recognition software has steadily been improving as "neural networks" improve. Neural networks are based on actual photo libraries that provide datasets for first analyzing and then processing algorithms in object recognition in a photo.

It all requires a lot of computing power and storage. The same libraries of images and software we have today would be practically useless on 1980's PCs.

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,243 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 26, 2018 13:01 |  #155

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18716725 (external link)
But what I have in mind wouldn't require masses of pre-existing imagery.

The thing I'm thinking of would have the photographer supply the data. For instance, if I wanted to have the autofocus track a racquetball, then when I get to the court, I would take several photos of the racquetball, from different positions so that it isn't the same light falling on the ball in each photo and so that the backgrounds would be different in each photo.

I would then go to the PROGRAMMABLE OBJECT AF menu and select the "ENTER OBJECT" line. Then I would enter the racquetball photos that I just took. Then, when I'm shooting, the camera would use the data from those photos to detect the racquetball in the scene, and keep it in perfect focus at all times, no matter how fast it is moving or what crazy angles it is approaching the camera from.

I could then perform the same process when I'm shooting deer, or birds, or a football game, etc.

Tell the camera what to track by entering photos of that object right there on site. Why not?

I'd just like to put my AF point on a subject, be in a bird, plane, human, etc., have the AF recognize it as a discrete object, and track it until further notice. Canon already has an AF mode like this, but I want it to actually work in properly in a complex environment just as a soccer field.

davesrose
3,614 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Sep 26, 2018 13:19 |  #156

mike_d wrote in post #18716764 (external link)
It all requires a lot of computing power and storage. The same libraries of images and software we have today would be practically useless on 1980's PCs.

They didn't have neural networks in the 80s. The results of neural networks are what drive you being tagged on mobile Facebook.

Canon 5D mk IV
smugmug (external link)

Croasdail
making stuff up
7,042 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Sep 29, 2018 12:14 as a reply to  @ post 18715831 |  #157

They do have it.... it's just not available in consumer grade products.

Mark
Its by knowing and mastering all the rules that you learn which ones you can break.

Coimbra
173 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Sep 30, 2018 07:46 |  #158

I went to Photokina yesterday. The Nikon Z cameras seemed very nice, the Canon R I didn't like as much. Good thing there are hardly any lenses available, this way I won't need to spend any more for some time to come :D

rantercsr
Goldmember
2,842 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Sep 30, 2018 08:02 |  #159

Dont know if this was posted yet..

https://youtu.be/DygLn​7YPM5M (external link)

Animal eye af!

I got a couple of Cameras and lenses ...Canon, Sony, Fuji, Pansonic, pentax
My portraits IG (external link)My everything else IG (external link)
MY flickr (external link)
My latest YT video -->https://youtu.be/YzJ1o​eiHm7Y (external link)

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
6,996 posts
Gallery: 69 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Sep 30, 2018 11:17 |  #160

rantercsr wrote in post #18719128 (external link)
Dont know if this was posted yet..

https://youtu.be/DygLn​7YPM5M (external link)

Animal eye af!

That's amusing and I'll admit an amazing feature.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 50-140 | TT685
Sony A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | GM16-35 f/2.8 | Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 | GM70-200 f/2.8 |Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS

ddown
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 21, 2018 21:33 |  #161

I switched and went back Optical Viewfinders just aren't the same for me I guess I to "Old School" Shot for About 1 1/2 years and went back to Canon and L lenses all is well with the world again.

sponsored links

13,507 views & 118 likes for this thread
Switching from DSLR to mirrorless
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.