Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 25 Sep 2018 (Tuesday) 18:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What suddenly happened to image quality?

kaitlyn2004
Goldmember
1,636 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 25, 2018 18:03 |  #1

Here is a camera raw dialog for a photo, it's displayed at 100%:

https://imgur.com/a/pc​401Jk (external link)

5D Mark IV and I shot both 70-200 F4L IS and 100-400 F4L IS today. Both are showing this weird look, which makes me question my camera?

The details like all smudgy / slightly out of focus. Hard to describe but hopefully very obvious?

Never seen something like this before with my photos

New Zealand Travel Photography (external link)
My Instagram (external link)

sponsored links
Jethr0
Goldmember
1,049 posts
Gallery: 91 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Sep 25, 2018 18:41 |  #2

Exif might be helpful.

www.jefflowe.ca (external link)
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jeff​lowe.ca (external link)

AS_Photo
139 posts
Joined Sep 2018

Sep 25, 2018 18:57 |  #3

Jethr0 wrote in post #18716143 (external link)
Exif might be helpful.

There are some in the photo - f/8, ISO 200, 1/800s, 200mm. Should be plenty sufficient for a sharp shot. But it's hard to judge things based on a zoomed in photo editor shot. Can you post the RAW?

AS_Photo
139 posts
Joined Sep 2018

Sep 25, 2018 18:59 |  #4

Was it on a tripod with IS on/off? Handheld with IS on/off?

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,407 posts
Gallery: 98 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited 5 months ago by TeamSpeed. (5 edits in all)

Sep 25, 2018 19:02 |  #5

Easy.... atmospheric haze/convection currents... Give us something harder!

Haze causes issues in the area of terrestrial photography, where the penetration of large amounts of dense atmosphere may be necessary to image distant subjects. This results in the visual effect of a loss of contrast in the subject, due to the effect of light scattering through the haze particles. For these reasons, sunrise and sunset colors appear subdued on hazy days, and stars may be obscured at night. In some cases, attenuation by haze is so great that, toward sunset, the sun disappears altogether before reaching the horizon.[7]

Haze can be defined as an aerial form of the Tyndall effect therefore unlike other atmospheric effects such as cloud and fog, haze is spectrally selective: shorter (blue) wavelengths are scattered more, and longer (red/infrared) wavelengths are scattered less. For this reason, many super-telephoto lenses often incorporate yellow filters or coatings to enhance image contrast. Infrared (IR) imaging may also be used to penetrate haze over long distances, with a combination of IR-pass optical filters (such as the Wratten 89B) and IR-sensitive detector.

If I am wrong, and I doubt I am (and I am rarely ;)), then my next guess is filters, but you would have seen this on all photos. My 3rd guess is that you used olive oil to clean and lube your lenses, but I highly suspect that just isn't the case. :D I can tell you that doesn't work. The lenses turn easier, but the IQ is never the same.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

kaitlyn2004
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,636 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 25, 2018 20:31 |  #6

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18716156 (external link)
Easy.... atmospheric haze/convection currents... Give us something harder!

If I am wrong, and I doubt I am (and I am rarely ;)), then my next guess is filters, but you would have seen this on all photos. My 3rd guess is that you used olive oil to clean and lube your lenses, but I highly suspect that just isn't the case. :D I can tell you that doesn't work. The lenses turn easier, but the IQ is never the same.

My fist thought was atmospheric distortion/haze as well, but I've only experienced that in HOT weather.

It was 10c/50f and although the morning was cloudy/cold and then the sun came out... I didn't think there would be enough warmth to cause that hazy distortion?

I guess that's what it was though... annoying! Can't use the photos now :(

New Zealand Travel Photography (external link)
My Instagram (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,815 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 25, 2018 20:58 |  #7

kaitlyn2004 wrote in post #18716212 (external link)
My fist thought was atmospheric distortion/haze as well, but I've only experienced that in HOT weather.

Oh, it happens in moderate and cold temperatures, too.

When photographing deer in Montana in November, it is frequently well below freezing - often down into the teens and sometimes down into the single digits. Yet if it's a clear day, the heat distortion is so bad that it's often impossible to get a decent shot between 10 AM and 3 o'clock PM. There's nothing a photographer can do except wait for the onset of the evening golden hour. Either that or try to get really close to the deer, so that there isn't much air between the camera and the subject.

Even though we call it heat distortion, it has little to nothing to do with the air temperature.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,407 posts
Gallery: 98 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited 5 months ago by TeamSpeed.

Sep 25, 2018 21:04 |  #8

There are some Adobe Photoshop/LR filters that help with some of that distortion. I haven't used them, but there are several google results when researching how to combat this.

It is definitely distortion though.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,351 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 25, 2018 21:39 |  #9

Oh yeah; heat distortion hardcore...unfortunate​ly, as the others have said, it’s better to try and plan a reshoot or accept that nature’s fickle fingers weren’t working in your favor that day. There may be filters that help mitigate it, but I imagine they’ll only nuke any fine details that you may want to try and retain.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,314 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 25, 2018 23:22 |  #10

Soon as I clicked on the first post you could see it.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Sep 26, 2018 12:31 |  #11

Is that 100% zoom, or 100% fit-to-screen?

It looks like heat differential haze, but it may also be made worse by how the data is being processed to fit to screen.

And remember that heat haze is based on temperature differential, not temperature itself. If you have a box that is full of 400 degree still air, then you are unlikely to notice any effect while looking through a properly insulated window. However if you have the same box where one part of the air is -100 degrees, and another part is -20 degrees, then you'll get lots of seeing issues. - This is part of why conditions can actually get worse in cooler weather, as the 'hot spots' warmed by the sun can be that much more different from the cold spots while things warm up in the morning.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

Alveric
Goldmember
4,590 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Sep 26, 2018 13:51 |  #12

That's haze. What was the humidity on that day? Were the winds blowing smoke or particulates from forest fires?

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,314 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Sep 26, 2018 15:37 |  #13

Here is a nifty article.

http://arihazeghiphoto​graphy.com …ment-is-it-always-needed/ (external link)

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,954 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 26, 2018 21:16 |  #14

As a competitive match rifle shooter, and NRA GB qualified Club Instructor dealing with these mirage effects has been a constant challenge for almost 40 years. In that time one of the unfortunate things that I have discovered is that the better the quality of the optics used, the worse the mirage looks. On one occasion where though a reasonable quality spotting scope, one that would be in the £/$500 or so price range, you could see no mirage at all. I was able to have a look through the Zeiss scope used by the Chief Wind Coach of the World Championship winning GB long range Palma Match team. All in all this was about a £5000 scope by the time you got both the scope and the eyepiece. At 600 yards when using this scope there was a very clear mirage running, contrary to what most other scopes were showing.

Mirage effects can also be amplified by the surface over which you are observing. Although surfaces like tarmac will show very strong effects, simply because it can absorb a lot of heat quickly other less likely looking surfaces can also amplify mirage. Large areas of standing water will have a lot of mirage, but so will waterlogged and wet ground. This is because the extra water vapour that is being evaporated into the air also helps to change the local refractive index. There is an awful lot of potentially damp grass out there. In the example above it was partly the fact that the rifle range in question is actually part of a peat bog, with a lot of water locked up in it that meant that there really was some mirage to see, even on a cold early spring day.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
5,499 posts
Gallery: 100 photos
Joined Jul 2005
Post edited 4 months ago by Choderboy. (2 edits in all)

Sep 27, 2018 00:32 |  #15

digital paradise wrote in post #18716861 (external link)
Here is a nifty article.

arihazeghiphotography

Pardon your pun.

Dave
Image editing OK

sponsored links

2,148 views & 9 likes for this thread
What suddenly happened to image quality?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.