Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
Thread started 24 Sep 2018 (Monday) 09:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What is your favorite travel tripod?

Jarvis ­ Creative ­ Studios
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,478 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Aug 2013

Sep 24, 2018 22:34 |  #16

Charlie wrote in post #18715348 (external link)
Hardly anything TBH, while the RRS was out with a 600 prime no issues earlier tonight. A7R3 + FE 85 is as heavy as I'll go with this, so under 3 lbs lol.

Got it. Yea I'm looking for something a bit stronger. My Benro that I currently use is rated up to around 35lbs haha. I don't think I could ever get even close to that.

WEBSITE (external link)
flickr (external link)
Sony ZV-1 || Sony a7RIV || Sony a9 || Sony FE 20mm f1.8 G || Sony FE 24-70 f2.8 GM || Sony Sonnar T* FE 55 f1.8 ZA || Sony FE 70-200 f2.8 GM OSS || Sony FE 200-600 f5.6-6.3 G OSS || Godox speedlights and strobes

sponsored links
johnf3f
Goldmember
4,092 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010
Post edited over 2 years ago by johnf3f.

Sep 25, 2018 19:48 |  #17

Jarvis Creative Studios wrote in post #18715337 (external link)
Thanks. Seems that one is harder to come by as it's been discontinued and no one has it in stock. Also was looking for something that could hold a little more than 9lbs. Not that I think I'll be maxing that out, but I figure the higher it's rated for, the more sturdy and well built it will be.

I did put my Canon 800 F5.6 L IS, 1 DX and Wimberley 2 head on my G1550T to prove a point to a friend, far from ideal but worked just fine.

First rule with Gitzo (I believe RRS is the same) is IGNORE weight ratings! Gitzo weight ratings are what they think a particular tripod is ideal for not what they will hold which is LOT more. Unfortunately a lot of manufacturers are claiming much higher loads than their gear is really suitable for. Supporting weight is easy - but damping vibration is difficult! Gitzo do it rather well.

Naturally any "Travel Tripod" is going to be far from ideal - but they are light and compact, otherwise they will be staying at home! They are a compromise but, quality makers like RRS/Gitzo, will deliver good performance and last longer than most of us.

I was lucky, I only bought two Manfrottos before I learned. Don't skimp - get the right tool for the job, it's cheaper in the long run.

Having said all of that the problem is finding a Gitzo at sensible money! They are stupidly expensive at normal prices and more expensive for you (in the USA) so the used market is the way to go.

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,478 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Sep 25, 2018 21:58 |  #18

johnf3f wrote in post #18716195 (external link)
I did put my Canon 800 F5.6 L IS, 1 DX and Wimberley 2 head on my G1550T to prove a point to a friend, far from ideal but worked just fine.

First rule with Gitzo (I believe RRS is the same) is IGNORE weight ratings! Gitzo weight ratings are what they think a particular tripod is ideal for not what they will hold which is LOT more. Unfortunately a lot of manufacturers are claiming much higher loads than their gear is really suitable for. Supporting weight is easy - but damping vibration is difficult! Gitzo do it rather well.

Naturally any "Travel Tripod" is going to be far from ideal - but they are light and compact, otherwise they will be staying at home! They are a compromise but, quality makers like RRS/Gitzo, will deliver good performance and last longer than most of us.

I was lucky, I only bought two Manfrottos before I learned. Don't skimp - get the right tool for the job, it's cheaper in the long run.

Having said all of that the problem is finding a Gitzo at sensible money! They are stupidly expensive at normal prices and more expensive for you (in the USA) so the used market is the way to go.

Thanks for the info. BTW Manfrotto and Gitzo are the same company. Not sure if you knew that. That doesn't mean they're the same quality. It's probably a Lexus / Toyota situation.

WEBSITE (external link)
flickr (external link)
Sony ZV-1 || Sony a7RIV || Sony a9 || Sony FE 20mm f1.8 G || Sony FE 24-70 f2.8 GM || Sony Sonnar T* FE 55 f1.8 ZA || Sony FE 70-200 f2.8 GM OSS || Sony FE 200-600 f5.6-6.3 G OSS || Godox speedlights and strobes

johnf3f
Goldmember
4,092 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

Sep 26, 2018 19:20 |  #19

Jarvis Creative Studios wrote in post #18716255 (external link)
Thanks for the info. BTW Manfrotto and Gitzo are the same company. Not sure if you knew that. That doesn't mean they're the same quality. It's probably a Lexus / Toyota situation.

No it is a wobbly sticks VS tripod situation - been there and wasted money.

Yes I am a tripod snob, but that is because I don't want to see others wasting money like I did. Yes Gitzo are great but they are not cheap - hence my suggestion of getting a used one.

If you can cope with a little more folded length then have a look at the Feisol Tournament models. Pretty rigid and VERY light - about 1 Kilo.

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
4,388 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Post edited over 2 years ago by davesrose. (2 edits in all)

Sep 27, 2018 20:17 |  #20

Nick5 wrote in post #18714835 (external link)
This is not my primary tripod. But for traveling abroad or domestically, this tripod gets the job done.
The Globetrotter just returned from Helsinki, Stockholm and Copenhagan three weeks ago and will be in Prague in a week in the same working order as I bought it.
I highly recommend the Globetrotter CF for its intended use.

I recommend it too. It's very light weight and sturdy, and folds up into a convenient carrying case. If I were to be critical, the only element that I think could use improvement is the head (I find it's sometimes not easy to lock at a specific point with the different axis knobs). But that's been during critical MFA type applications (and the included head is designed such that the legs rest flush when folded up). The main thing I did have to get used to was just how light yet sturdy it is. I think it's a good design feature that it (and many carbon tripods) have a hook at the bottom...you can add your camera bag to weigh down your setup and still have your camera and telephoto mounted. You can also unscrew one of the legs for use as a monopod....but it's so light! If I know I'm just going to use a monopod, I prefer a heavy aluminum Monfroto I have. Though it doesn't have an arca swiss mount: the Globetrotter has a universal arca swiss (which you can use any plate: I've used a nice system I like from a small company called CAMS, that makes a flat arca swiss plate with shoulder strap). And as Manfroto/Gitzo, MeFoto is part of Benro.

Canon 5D mk IV
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

Ah-keong
Goldmember
1,249 posts
Gallery: 126 photos
Joined Apr 2016

Sep 28, 2018 03:32 |  #21

I am using a Manfrotto BeFree aluminum tripod.
I was thinking of getting a Pixi or GorillaPod.  :p

Canon RP | 7D2+grip | EF 70-200mm f/2,8L IS II | Tamron 24-70mm f/2,8 VC G2 | ZE 2/100mm | ZE 2/35mm | ZE 1,4/85mm | CV 3,5/20mm Skopar | CV 1,4/58mm Nokton | Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2,8D | DC-Nikkor 105mm f/2D | Nikkor-S 55mm f/1,2 |
Speedlite 430EX III-RT | 600EX-RT | YN 600EX-RT |
Manfrotto BeFree Travel | MT055XPRO3 |

THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,478 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Sep 28, 2018 12:09 |  #22

Ah-keong wrote in post #18717831 (external link)
I am using a Manfrotto BeFree aluminum tripod.
I was thinking of getting a Pixi or GorillaPod.  :p

A pixi won't even come close to the duties of a regular tripod. They're great for vlogging, and as a last resort when you have nothing else, but I would not recommend them as travel tripods.

WEBSITE (external link)
flickr (external link)

SYS
Cream of the Crop
13,772 posts
Gallery: 479 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jul 2004

Sep 28, 2018 12:25 as a reply to  @ Jarvis Creative Studios's post |  #23

I have both Pixi and Gorillapod, but I never take either of them with me when I travel.

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear

peter_n
Goldmember
2,478 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010
Post edited over 2 years ago by peter_n.

Oct 02, 2018 11:48 |  #24

Jarvis Creative Studios wrote in post #18714804 (external link)
I'm looking for a sturdy but small travel tripod. Hoping to find something that can fold up to around 16-18 inches when collapsed. Primary uses will be for hiking and taking on vacation.

I have used three travel tripods; Gitzo 1541T, Benro C2680T and Leofoto LS-284C. The Benro was bought as a backup to the Gitzo but soon replaced it when I realized it was a better tripod. I won't buy another Gitzo because the customer service is bad here in the US, like some other European companies they farm out the customer service to the foreign country distributor.

I got 8 years of reliable and trouble-free service from the Benro then replaced it with a Leofoto last January, so I guess my favorite is the Leofoto. It's just a better tripod than the Benro, higher quality carbon fiber, billet aluminum apex and stainless steel hardware, no center column, folds shorter than the Benro, and fully extended is just an inch shorter than my RRS TVC-24 (see pix below).

The Leofoto is a copy of the RRS TFC-14 and take a look at Dave Berryrieser's travel tripod stability rankings (external link) and note the respective positions of the TFC-14 and the Leofoto LS-284C and what they cost.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

~Peter

wunhang
726 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Oct 02, 2018 12:30 |  #25

I have the original Benro Travel Angel aluminum legs with an upgraded ballhead for a more sturdy hold. The original B0 ballhead just did not hold tight with a full-sized DSLR and L lens. With the reversing fold legs, I can fit it across the bottom side of a roller carry-on (14-15"). As long as I didn't use the last extension, the legs hold quite well. The worst conditions I placed on it was decently blowing Icelandic wind on a cliffside with a 5D2 and a 70-200 f/4.

I think they discontinued the small version and only have the longer leg version with the monopod option. Not as packing friendly.

Canon 5D IV | Canon 5D II | XSI (Infrared modified) | SL1 | 16-35mm L f/4.0 IS | 24-70mm L f/2.8 II | 40mm f/2.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-200mm L f/4.0 IS | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 | C/Y 28mm f/2.8 | Tamron 35mm f/1.8 VC | C/Y 50mm f/1.7 | Zeiss 100mm MP
::SmugMug (external link)::

Ah-keong
Goldmember
1,249 posts
Joined Apr 2016
Post edited over 2 years ago by Ah-keong.

Oct 03, 2018 00:35 |  #26

Jarvis Creative Studios wrote in post #18718041 (external link)
A pixi won't even come close to the duties of a regular tripod. They're great for vlogging, and as a last resort when you have nothing else, but I would not recommend them as travel tripods.

The BeFree would be my travel tripod.
I was thinking of complementing the tripodwith a Pixi or GorillaPod.  :p

Canon RP | 7D2+grip | EF 70-200mm f/2,8L IS II | Tamron 24-70mm f/2,8 VC G2 | ZE 2/100mm | ZE 2/35mm | ZE 1,4/85mm | CV 3,5/20mm Skopar | CV 1,4/58mm Nokton | Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2,8D | DC-Nikkor 105mm f/2D | Nikkor-S 55mm f/1,2 |

Ah-keong
Goldmember
1,249 posts
Joined Apr 2016

Oct 03, 2018 00:37 |  #27

SYS wrote in post #18718051 (external link)
I have both Pixi and Gorillapod, but I never take either of them with me when I travel.

May I ask which one you prefer more and use more? I was thinking getting one for camera and hooking my phone for selfie.  :p

SYS
Cream of the Crop
13,772 posts
Gallery: 479 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jul 2004

Oct 03, 2018 08:52 |  #28

Ah-keong wrote in post #18721243 (external link)
May I ask which one you prefer more and use more? I was thinking getting one for camera and hooking my phone for selfie.  :p

Pixi is more stable but Gorillapod Focus is more flexible and taller, so it depends on the use. When I don't need much flexibility nor height, then Pixi is preferred. If I want to wrap around a tree branch or a pole, that's when Gorillapod can come in very handy.

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear

MaxImage
57 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 03, 2018 15:45 |  #29

All of the thoughts above are great, and I can second that the MeFoto CF Globetrotter variant is a winner at it's price point. Try giving this thread a read for some Gitzo Traveler vs Globetrotter comparisons. Since the posting of the above thread, the Gitzo has been on tens of thousands of miles of journeys and has still held up nicely.

Though a word of caution is that the included ballhead with the Globetrotter--and potentially all MeFoto products--needs a tad of width adjustment to accommodate the Arca Swiss plates made by RRS. They're 100% compatible, but if you want to use the included MeFoto ballhead with the included AS-style plate on one camera, and say, an RRS made plate on another, the widths are slightly different and you may have to adjust the width between the tynes of head's clamping mechanism when interchanging between the two cameras.

Ah-keong
Goldmember
1,249 posts
Joined Apr 2016

Oct 03, 2018 22:33 |  #30

SYS wrote in post #18721419 (external link)
Pixi is more stable but Gorillapod Focus is more flexible and taller, so it depends on the use. When I don't need much flexibility nor height, then Pixi is preferred. If I want to wrap around a tree branch or a pole, that's when Gorillapod can come in very handy.

Thanks SYS!

sponsored links

4,739 views & 20 likes for this thread
What is your favorite travel tripod?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.