Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 05 Sep 2018 (Wednesday) 02:31
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "How's the new EOS-R stack up for you?"
It's Amazing!
26.5%
It's kind of a let down
33.8%
It's trash
8.5%
It's good for the price
23.5%
It helped me pick a new body
7.7%

189 voters, 260 votes given (3 choices choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

EOS-R - It's out. Thoughts?

this thread is locked
samueli
Goldmember
1,011 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Feb 2009
Post edited 4 months ago by samueli.

Sep 27, 2018 13:37 |  #1531

Charlie wrote in post #18714506 (external link)
Focus should not be a critical skill.

I take pride in the fact that I've learned how to make the right choices to get the eyes in focus without auto eye focus, or can get reasonable hyperfocal off the top of my head for some preferred wide focal lengths. I've put a lot of time into learning photography, which includes focus; time that is valuable, and time that I cannot get back. So yes, focus should very much be a critical skill. Also, no one should be self proclaiming themselves a master without at least understanding these things. I'm surprised at that statement.

sponsored links
TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,379 posts
Gallery: 98 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited 4 months ago by TeamSpeed. (7 edits in all)

Sep 27, 2018 13:44 |  #1532

samueli wrote in post #18717471 (external link)
I take pride in the fact that I've learned how to make the right choices to get the eyes in focus without auto eye focus, or can get reasonable hyperfocal off the top of my head for some preferred wide focal lengths. I've put a lot of time into learning photography, which includes focus; time that is valuable, and time that I cannot get back. So yes, focus should very much be a critical skill. Also, no one should be self proclaiming themselves a master without at least understanding these things. I don't interact much with you in htreads, but based on your high post count, I'd think you'd be better than to make a statement like that.

By the same token, somebody else here even older than your could say that "I put a lot of time in learning how to manually focus all of my shots, and I don't need AF at all. AF isn't a skill, people should learn a valuable and critical skill like MF to keep eyes in focus manually while both the person and I am both moving slightly back and forth."

If you use AF, then eye AF is just an extension of that, nothing more. You use what works for you and what you are comfortable with, others are going to extend their operations to other tools and features to accomplish the same thing.

That being said, as Levina alludes, we will get to the point that camera AI is so good, we will just configure it to focus on specific objects or events we are interested in, no matter how fast they are moving, and we just snap the shutter. At that point, we might as well just profile the camera on exactly what type of things we are shooting and what to focus on, set the camera down, and let it do all the work. The skill will only be in how well you know and can set up your equipment.

The only thing left for us in this type of future reality is to find where to put the camera for the right perspective, and nothing more. I fully envision a time where I can put a camera out aimed at home plate, configure it to take a small burst as it sees the bat being swung, and later I go pick up the camera to see how all the shots came out. Heck, I may even be able to just set it on a motorized head, and configure it to also track a player running between bases, follow the ball as it was hit to the outfield and snap the catch, etc. The hardware is here, the programming just isn't here yet.

More and more will become automated and there will be less and less manual intervention in much of what we do today. It won't be a good thing though, we might as well look to all the sci fi and fantasy movies for the last 20-30 years, they all have it right. ;)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,314 posts
Gallery: 155 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Sep 27, 2018 13:50 |  #1533

Mark0159 wrote in post #18717144 (external link)
With a Red camera you can already do that.

or a 5D4/1Dx2 (@ 4K)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,314 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Sep 27, 2018 13:55 |  #1534

umphotography wrote in post #18717302 (external link)
agreed

1/2 the fun is NOT knowing if you got the shot, missing shots, perfecting the skill sets, and then hitting THE KEEPER under the conditions that you had to capture it in. Example 10 frame bust. I had 10 good ones but the shot I hit tracking of this guy coming in was the one i liked despite having the fish pop out and being in the talons. all good shots. But I could of nailed this in one shot
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by umphotography in
./showthread.php?p=187​17302&i=i182657599
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by umphotography in
./showthread.php?p=187​17302&i=i229359789

I have always liked this example Mike, but it is an example of how 10 fps can help you get the best moments in fast paced action IMHO, NOT an example of what you can do with single shot.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,314 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Sep 27, 2018 13:55 |  #1535

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18717370 (external link)
There is really nothing more to talk about on the EOS R other than either the continued "it's great" or "it sucks". This always happens in every thread when everything that could be said, has been said.

So it is okay we talk about other things until there is actually new info or data or experiences with the EOS-R to be had. :)

This thread has veered off the tracks too many times to count, so trying to police it now with nothing new is effort in vain.

Tastes great!
Less filling!

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,379 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited 4 months ago by TeamSpeed. (2 edits in all)

Sep 27, 2018 14:17 as a reply to  @ CyberDyneSystems's post |  #1536

So are we moving to beer? :-D Give me a good Doppelbock!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,459 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Sep 27, 2018 14:26 |  #1537

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18717485 (external link)
I have always liked this example Mike, but it is an example of how 10 fps can help you get the best moments in fast paced action IMHO, NOT an example of what you can do with single shot.

certainly dont need 20-30+ frames to do this. Its about being in position to capture, anticipating what they are going to do and being prepared.

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

samueli
Goldmember
1,011 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Sep 27, 2018 14:56 |  #1538

AS_Photo wrote in post #18716876 (external link)
Seems like people are trying to get there - i.e. Arsenal. "Take awesome pictures without any knowledge or skill! Just buy this and let it do it for you!"

I need a different hobby if this is the end goal.

sploo
premature adulation
2,400 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011

Sep 27, 2018 16:29 |  #1539

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18717474 (external link)
By the same token, somebody else here even older than your could say that "I put a lot of time in learning how to manually focus all of my shots, and I don't need AF at all. AF isn't a skill, people should learn a valuable and critical skill like MF to keep eyes in focus manually while both the person and I am both moving slightly back and forth."

If you use AF, then eye AF is just an extension of that, nothing more. You use what works for you and what you are comfortable with, others are going to extend their operations to other tools and features to accomplish the same thing.

That being said, as Levina alludes, we will get to the point that camera AI is so good, we will just configure it to focus on specific objects or events we are interested in, no matter how fast they are moving, and we just snap the shutter. At that point, we might as well just profile the camera on exactly what type of things we are shooting and what to focus on, set the camera down, and let it do all the work. The skill will only be in how well you know and can set up your equipment.

The only thing left for us in this type of future reality is to find where to put the camera for the right perspective, and nothing more. I fully envision a time where I can put a camera out aimed at home plate, configure it to take a small burst as it sees the bat being swung, and later I go pick up the camera to see how all the shots came out. Heck, I may even be able to just set it on a motorized head, and configure it to also track a player running between bases, follow the ball as it was hit to the outfield and snap the catch, etc. The hardware is here, the programming just isn't here yet.

More and more will become automated and there will be less and less manual intervention in much of what we do today. It won't be a good thing though, we might as well look to all the sci fi and fantasy movies for the last 20-30 years, they all have it right. ;)

I thought there was already some AI technology that does a reasonable job of classifying what a human would consider to be a "good" picture vs a "bad" one. Only a matter of time before that camera aimed at the home plate automatically chooses the most aesthetically pleasing shot from the burst, and emails it directly to your newspaper.

Step forward another 20 years and you'll return home to find it in bed with the wife, smoking a cigarette...

Camera, some lenses, too little time, too little talent

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,614 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Sep 27, 2018 20:26 |  #1540

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18717495 (external link)
So are we moving to beer? :-D Give me a good Doppelbock!
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by TeamSpeed in
./showthread.php?p=187​17495&i=i174589700

I have even more respect now:-) Though for a high gravity, I side with imperial stouts or American style barleywines.

Canon 5D mk IV
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

davesrose
3,614 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Sep 27, 2018 20:30 |  #1541

sploo wrote in post #18717575 (external link)
I thought there was already some AI technology that does a reasonable job of classifying what a human would consider to be a "good" picture vs a "bad" one. Only a matter of time before that camera aimed at the home plate automatically chooses the most aesthetically pleasing shot from the burst, and emails it directly to your newspaper.

AI has already gotten pretty sophisticated for determining what object should be center of interest/in focus. I think the operative words are "aesthetically pleasing". I don't know how many women as of late I've met that like snapchat with really corny filters that add goofy blur effects and cartoon overlays.-?

Canon 5D mk IV
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,379 posts
Joined May 2002

Sep 27, 2018 20:44 as a reply to  @ davesrose's post |  #1542

All those past travels on business trips, I learned I liked dark stout beers. This was the first one that drew me in that direction. On that trip, I was in Calgary. :)

davesrose
3,614 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Sep 27, 2018 20:55 as a reply to  @ TeamSpeed's post |  #1543

I like malty goodness come deep fall/winter. My introduction to Doppelbocks was actually when I was still new to Georgia. It was during the time that Georgia (and my home state of NC) limited beer to 5%. I was having an internship in medical animation and staying with an aficionado of Dopplebocks: who'd get cases while over state lines. Now GA is up to 13% for beer (though I've also learned you can buy beers like Sam Adams Utopias 23% over the internet because it's considered collectors). I'm into homebrewing as well: one lesser known stout is oyster stout. Some are brewed regularly and just meant to accompany oysters, while others are brewed with oysters. I tried a real one with oysters....turned out pretty good: tasted like it was in between a dry stout and oatmeal stout.

Canon 5D mk IV
smugmug (external link)

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
12,849 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Sep 27, 2018 21:52 |  #1544

sploo wrote in post #18717575 (external link)

We don't have to do that--the community of photographers has already decided there isn't such a thing as a "bad" picture anyway. Standards have been thrown away.

sploo
premature adulation
2,400 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011

Sep 28, 2018 03:39 |  #1545

davesrose wrote in post #18717700 (external link)
...It was during the time that Georgia (and my home state of NC) limited beer to 5%...

Wow... so anything Belgian was banned ;-)a

RDKirk wrote in post #18717718 (external link)
We don't have to do that--the community of photographers has already decided there isn't such a thing as a "bad" picture anyway. Standards have been thrown away.

Harsh. But fair...

Camera, some lenses, too little time, too little talent

sponsored links

112,980 views & 1,660 likes for this thread
EOS-R - It's out. Thoughts?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.