Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Transportation Talk 
Thread started 07 Aug 2018 (Tuesday) 18:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What makes a good Aviation Photograph

Croasdail
THREAD ­ STARTER
making stuff up
7,042 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2005

Sep 25, 2018 13:00 |  #16

Does anyone know what the max shutter speed is to get con spin/fan blur? I want to capture head on modern jets on talk off but have the internals of the fan blurred. In know the Trent 1000 on dreamliners - the blades and cone only turn at about 2,700 rpm. Internally the core is spinning much faster. But to insure spin is capture.... any idea where shutter speed needs to be... I want to see cone spine, no swirl visible....

Mark
Its by knowing and mastering all the rules that you learn which ones you can break.

sponsored links
Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
5,487 posts
Gallery: 100 photos
Joined Jul 2005

Sep 28, 2018 10:10 |  #17

I'm biased as when I look at this my heart beat increases, remembering the feeling of imminent close encounter.
So I'll go with 'tension'.

IMAGE: https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5266/5658739985_129217b894_o.jpg

Dave
Image editing OK

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,954 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 28, 2018 15:38 |  #18

Croasdail wrote in post #18715878 (external link)
Does anyone know what the max shutter speed is to get con spin/fan blur? I want to capture head on modern jets on talk off but have the internals of the fan blurred. In know the Trent 1000 on dreamliners - the blades and cone only turn at about 2,700 rpm. Internally the core is spinning much faster. But to insure spin is capture.... any idea where shutter speed needs to be... I want to see cone spine, no swirl visible....

Well 2700 RPM equates to a revolution in 1/45s, so if you want a full revolution of the cone you will need to use the next lower shutter speed at the fastest. Prop aircraft are in some ways easier, since if all you want is a visibly full prop disk you just need the rotation period divided by the number of prop blades. Still a full rotation will often look better than a four bladed prop doing 2400 RPM shot at 1/160.

Helicopters are often so difficult because even little ones are turning the rotor at not much more than 1000 RPM. IIRC the RAF's Puma helicopters run at rotor RPMs of about 800 RPM. Helicopters normally run with rotor speeds fixed in very narrow bands for optimal aerodynamic performance. One thing that is very important is that you keep the tips well away from the transonic region.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

Naturalist
Adrift on a lonely vast sea
5,250 posts
Gallery: 61 photos
Joined May 2007
Post edited 4 months ago by Naturalist.

Sep 28, 2018 16:45 |  #19

Choderboy wrote in post #18717973 (external link)
I'm biased as when I look at this my heart beat increases, remembering the feeling of imminent close encounter.

QUOTED IMAGE

Interesting shot Dave. I've got one of the same style aircraft up here in Minnesota, USA spraying the wheat fields across from my house.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

i love it when the photo ops come to me. :) I'm also glad I'm 60 years old now so I wont have any 2-headed kids from these sprayers. LOL

Doug
My Gear List
http://www.douglasbrow​nsr.com (external link)
Entered: 2-16-84 Passed: 5-22-84 Raised: 6-19-84

chris001
394 posts
Gallery: 204 photos
Joined Dec 2014

Oct 06, 2018 18:16 |  #20

Great thread!
I'm going to the Alliance Air Show next week and I have a question that I didn't see posted.
I will be using a Canon T6i with the Canon 100-400 MK II lens.

What type of metering are you guys using? Spot? Partial? Evaluative? Center Weighted?

The show starts at 8am and the sun should be to my high-back.

This with evaluative. but passenger jets are pretty predictable. LOL
the sun was to the nose of the aircraft.

Thanks!
Chris
flickr (external link)

joeseph
"smells like turd"
9,787 posts
Gallery: 95 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Oct 08, 2018 01:46 |  #21

Choderboy wrote in post #18717973 (external link)

QUOTED IMAGE

Very nicely done! did the pilot get a copy of the shot?

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,954 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 08, 2018 19:52 |  #22

chris001 wrote in post #18723725 (external link)
Great thread!
I'm going to the Alliance Air Show next week and I have a question that I didn't see posted.
I will be using a Canon T6i with the Canon 100-400 MK II lens.

What type of metering are you guys using? Spot? Partial? Evaluative? Center Weighted?

The show starts at 8am and the sun should be to my high-back.

This with evaluative. but passenger jets are pretty predictable. LOL
the sun was to the nose of the aircraft.

Personally it doesn't matter, I prefer using an external incident lightmeter and shooting manual exposure. You get far more reliable exposures that way. I use the free Android LightMeter app on my Samsung Note 3. I like it because it recreates the info as an old style analogue meter. I really like how is shows every possible shutter speed/aperture combination for the chosen ISO value. Accuracy of the app is absolutely fine for me in incident mode against both my 50D and my old backup/second body 20D. I believe the app is also available for the iPhone.

If I absolutely had to use the camera's metering I would use spot and meter of a substitute target, I tend to try to use an area of green grass or other mid toned surface. Still shooting in manual mode. You can use the palm of your hand as a target, but I struggle to do that when had holding a long telephoto lens. My arms are just not long enough for that.

At a show just to be on the safe side I will use the incident meter to get an exposure setting, and then use that to "calibrate" a setting for a close to mid tone area. That way if I think that a change in light levels has happened I can just point the camera at my calibrated surface, and reset the exposure quickly in situations where I don't have time to go back to the incident meter. The incident meter is best used between the different aircraft performances.

I usually shoot at about +1EV on the meter reading to allow for the fact that the aircraft are backlit. I'm normally trying to get a good exposure on the underside of the aircraft, so that I can bring out as much of the detail as possible. I'm not too worried if the specular highlights, like sun reflections are blown, they have no detail anyway. As long as you are shooting RAW you can pull the highlights way back in most modern conversion software. To that end I usually shoot in Faithful picture style, with the sharpening and contrast etc. pulled all the way to minimum. This gets the histogram, which is always based on the currently set processing parameters to be as close to the RAW image data as possible. It does make the in camera preview look a bit soft though.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
5,487 posts
Gallery: 100 photos
Joined Jul 2005

Oct 09, 2018 04:57 |  #23

joeseph wrote in post #18724597 (external link)
Very nicely done! did the pilot get a copy of the shot?

Thanks. The pilot's boss (company owner) did.

Dave
Image editing OK

sponsored links

10,313 views & 15 likes for this thread
What makes a good Aviation Photograph
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Transportation Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.