Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 26 Aug 2017 (Saturday) 11:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-= SL2/200D owners unite! Discuss and post photos!

kayl
412 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Apr 2005
Post edited over 2 years ago by kayl.

Sep 29, 2018 05:59 |  #61

I really love the sl2 combined with either of the pancake lenses. The size makes it such a fantastic camera to take anywhere. I also often use it with the 50f1.8 for a nice compact package with nice bokeh.

Rocking the 6d2 and SL2 and (mostly) the 24-105 f4 L, 50mm f1.8 STM, and 135mm f2 L along with a few others.
All of my Gear
Buy/Sell Feedback

sponsored links
ozziepuppy
Goldmember
3,286 posts
Gallery: 203 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 29, 2018 10:53 as a reply to  @ post 18640653 |  #62

How did you manage to isolate the spiders on the white background? I found a large brown recluse in my garage but, unlike most of them, it was fairly active (probably because I was disturbing the box it was in) so I didn't even attempt to photograph it. That was also the case with the very live and active black widow spider that I found in a bunch of organic grapes I purchased this summer (even the store manager where I had bought the grapes backed away from her when she waved her front legs at him when I returned the grapes to the store). Please forgive my ignorance, but I am curious, since I have found two interesting, but very poisonous, spiders in the past couple of months, and didn't get photos of either one of them.

Marci
Constructive criticism always appreciated.
Gear
Pre-2018 Feedback :)

ozziepuppy
Goldmember
3,286 posts
Joined Aug 2008
Post edited over 2 years ago by ozziepuppy.

Sep 29, 2018 11:06 |  #63

kayl wrote in post #18718498 (external link)
I really love the sl2 combined with either of the pancake lenses. The size makes it such a fantastic camera to take anywhere. I also often use it with the 50f1.8 for a nice compact package with nice bokeh.

Thanks for weighing in. The lighter the better for travel! I never want to go through an 11 & 1/2 hour itinerary through 4 airports w/ my 5D MK II & 24-70 2.8 L ever again--I had to have them around my neck due to space constraints in my carry-on baggage, and by the time I finally arrived my neck was hurting quite a bit (I have cervical degenerative disc disease, which doesn't help).

Marci
Gear

khwaja
937 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Aug 2012
Post edited over 2 years ago by khwaja.

Sep 29, 2018 20:23 |  #64

kayl wrote in post #18718498 (external link)

I am so disappointed for selling my SL2 and sticking to 80d. I was not able to sell 80d for decent price. Ended up selling SL2. I miss size of SL2. 80D is very big to carry around. Except for slow response to operate and basic focusing system, SL2 is nice. Hopefully, we will see SL series version of 80d or 90d. Initially, i have struggled with back button on sl2 to use. Some user told me how to use main shutter button without using dedicated focusing button. I should have kept sl2.

Canon 6D Mark 2, 50mm STM

ozziepuppy
Goldmember
3,286 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 29, 2018 21:15 |  #65

khwaja wrote in post #18718917 (external link)
I am so disappointed for selling my SL2 and sticking to 80d. I was not able to sell 80d for decent price. Ended up selling SL2. I miss size of SL2. 80D is very big to carry around. Except for slow response to operate and basic focusing system, SL2 is nice. Hopefully, we will see SL series version of 80d or 90d. Initially, i have struggled with back button on sl2 to use. Some user told me how to use main shutter button without using dedicated focusing button. I should have kept sl2.

I don't know if this helps or not, but Canon has a refurbished SL2 body for $439.99 right now (I nearly bought it myself!). Seemed like a pretty good price to me. I enjoyed your photos with your SL2.

Marci
Gear

Sibil
Cream of the Crop
10,415 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Sep 29, 2018 21:18 |  #66

ozziepuppy wrote in post #18718937 (external link)
I don't know if this helps or not, but Canon has a refurbished SL2 body for $439.99 right now (I nearly bought it myself!). Seemed like a pretty good price to me. I enjoyed your photos with your SL2.

I saw that. It took some self-control on my part not to click "buy"

khwaja
937 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Sep 29, 2018 21:35 |  #67

ozziepuppy wrote in post #18718937 (external link)

I still have 80d. Selling sl2 was very quick locally. Made a rash decision of selling it. Focusing and tracking with center AF point is very good. Releasing shutter button to half position technique helped me with not using bbf button. I am going to wait for some time and sell 80d.

Canon 6D Mark 2, 50mm STM

kayl
412 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Apr 2005

Sep 29, 2018 21:39 |  #68

khwaja wrote in post #18718917 (external link)

I still love my SL2, but am planning on picking up a 6d mk2 this fall. I think they'll compliment each other nicely.

Rocking the 6d2 and SL2 and (mostly) the 24-105 f4 L, 50mm f1.8 STM, and 135mm f2 L along with a few others.
All of my Gear
Buy/Sell Feedback

ozziepuppy
Goldmember
3,286 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Sep 30, 2018 10:45 |  #69

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18636180 (external link)
Metering mode matters with viewfinder shooting, shooting live view is different. Just watch your metering mode when using mirror down/viewfinder.

TeamSpeed, could you please elaborate on "metering mode matters with viewfinder shooting"? I would like to learn more about that.

Marci
Gear

ozziepuppy
Goldmember
3,286 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Oct 02, 2018 00:09 |  #70

Costco is having a good sale on an SL2 bundle until Oct 6. I posted the details under Market Watch.

Marci
Gear

ozziepuppy
Goldmember
3,286 posts
Joined Aug 2008
Post edited over 2 years ago by ozziepuppy.

Oct 09, 2018 19:26 |  #71

Hopefully some SL2 owners are still following this thread. My SL2 arrived today and already I have some questions. I opened the camera and 2 kit lenses and registered all 3 on the Canon website. Charged up the battery, installed it and the SD card, and also installed the screen protector. Put the UV filters on the lenses and went through the menus (set correct date, time, timezone, etc.). Started to take a few test shots and that is when something strange happened: The camera buzzes! As far as I can tell, this happens when the built-in flash is up. It isn't a super loud sound, but it is very grating/irritating, partly because of the sound itself, but partly because I don't think it should be doing that. The sound sounds like electricity: Think Frankenstein being given life by lightning, or by electricity in the lab--just not anywhere nearly as loud as in the movies! It is actually a quiet enough sound that it is difficult to hear when using live view, but it is very easy to hear when using the viewfinder. I've already registered the serial numbers on the camera & lenses, installed the screen protector, etc. so I certainly hope I do not have to send this camera back due to some kind of electrical defect. Do other owners hear this sound? Is this a normal sound for this camera when the flash is up / going to fire? Since my 5DII doesn't have a built-in flash, maybe I am just naive as far as the sound made by a DSLR built-in flash. If so, please let me know. I would appreciate your input on this issue. Thanks a lot.

Edit: Additional information: OK, I have narrowed it down a little further. The sound happens when the flash flashes WHILE I am focusing the camera by pushing the shutter button halfway down (PRIOR to actually taking the photo)--the flash might go off once or multiple times and always makes the buzzing sound under these circumstances. It does not seem to happen when the flash goes off WHILE taking a photo -- as far as I can tell the noise happens ONLY if the flash goes off PRIOR to taking the photo. The camera almost seems confused as the multiple flashes while focusing seem like a flickering rather than the flash giving multiple full flashes. However, even if there is only one flash during focusing, I still hear the buzz. Hope this helps.

Marci
Gear

TeamSpeed
THREAD ­ STARTER
01010100 01010011
38,993 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Oct 09, 2018 21:11 as a reply to  @ ozziepuppy's post |  #72

You either have to get use to the flash assist lighting/noise or get out of auto mode. ;)

It is normal. The flash is a flash tube, not an LED, so if you have that up, and you are in low light, the camera will run that flash over and over at a high speed to create light by which to AF.

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=nzCBxyJf1P0 (external link)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

ozziepuppy
Goldmember
3,286 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Oct 10, 2018 09:24 as a reply to  @ TeamSpeed's post |  #73

Thanks, TeamSpeed. The link was very helpful. Glad to know that this is normal behavior for this camera.

Well, it's kind of a good news, bad news sort of thing: "The good news is that the buzzing sound is perfectly normal! The bad news is that the buzzing sound is perfectly normal!"

Will probably only use the built-in flash in situations where I don't have the other one with me, anyway, so it isn't going to be a big deal. Thanks for your help.

Marci
Gear

ozziepuppy
Goldmember
3,286 posts
Joined Aug 2008
Post edited over 2 years ago by ozziepuppy. (3 edits in all)

Oct 13, 2018 19:37 |  #74

Well, the temperature is supposed to drop quite a bit tomorrow so this afternoon I decided to walk around the neighborhood a bit with the SL2 and the 55-250 kit lens. I am still getting to know the camera, and I made the mistake of saving only in JPEG (I usually like to save in JPEG and RAW). It was somewhat windy today, so whatever I was trying to photograph was swaying in the wind in addition to whatever other movement it might have been making on its own.

In the first example, the sunflower was swaying back and forth, and the butterfly was also moving on the flower. I was able to snap several photos before the butterfly flew away. Didn't do much PP at all. Could definitely be sharper, but the colors are fairly nice. Not too bad given the conditions. :-)

IMAGE: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1974/31426783918_4822431833_n.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/PT5t​Y3  (external link) Monarch & Sunflower (external link) by ozziepuppy (external link), on Flickr

This little guy was quite actively spinning a web in the corner of a neighbor's yard.

IMAGE: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1902/43485877600_acc963f9ff_n.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/29fG​uom  (external link) Spider Spinning Web (external link) by ozziepuppy (external link), on Flickr

And this large fellow was bouncing around in the wind as well. You can get some idea re the windiness by the "fire" streamers coming out of his mouth.

IMAGE: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1909/45301303761_877eeeb491_n.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2c28​2kp  (external link) Here Be Dragons (external link) by ozziepuppy (external link), on Flickr

These are not really comparable to the ones that others have posted in this thread, but I thought I would go ahead and put up a few that are basically "snapshots" from my short walk this afternoon.

Edit: Question: I notice that the other photos in this thread are quite a bit larger. I did crop my images but not by a lot. I am wondering what I did to make them so small. Thanks!

Edit #2: Pekka has answered my question about photo size. :-)

Marci
Gear

ozziepuppy
Goldmember
3,286 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Oct 21, 2018 16:20 |  #75

So far I am really liking this little camera. The only negative so far is the battery life, but I did purchase two batteries and that has helped a lot. They don't last nearly as long as the 5DII batteries, but maybe that is because the screen is on most of the time and on the 5DMKII that wasn't the case. Today I took a little walk with the SL2 and the 24mm pancake lens (wow! super lightweight!). This is a photo I just snapped rather quickly as the ducks were all moving and I was afraid they would decide to fly away. It was also quite windy (almost always is in Kansas).

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Marci
Gear

sponsored links

33,773 views & 56 likes for this thread
-= SL2/200D owners unite! Discuss and post photos!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.