Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 07 Sep 2018 (Friday) 07:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Will Canon keep supporting EF lenses?

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,264 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 4 months ago by Wilt.

Sep 25, 2018 22:35 |  #16

Inspeqtor wrote in post #18716272 (external link)
EVIL sounds even worse!

I had never heard of "Electronic Viewfinder Interchangeable Lens"? What is it? When was it made?

Term used a very long time ago, and EVIL is indeed a terrible sounding reference, which is why I left a letter out, leaving a soundalike acronym.

Started Jun 17, 2007 | Discussions thread
GreatLaker • Contributing Member • Posts: 907
EVIL = Electronic Viewfinder Interchangeable Lens
In reply to Peter 1745 • Aug 6, 2007
Peter 1745 wrote:

In the post above the acronym EVIL is used. I’m not familiar with is
term. What does it mean?

Replace the mirror and prism viewfinder of a dSLR with an Electronic Viewfinder
--
BruceMcK

You can see that the term has been around for a very long time, often in context of the 4/3 format cameras

technophile
Ars Legatus Legionis
Tribus: Ogden, UT
Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:34 pm

I've also heard the term "EVIL" (Electronic Viewfinder, Interchangeable Lens) tossed around for cameras with large sensors, no SLR mechanism, but non-fixed lenses. I don't think any pure ones actually exist, but the technology is pretty clearly available or close to it (the AF issue being the biggest one, but I think Olympus at least is working on it; they have a "Live View Boost" mode that boosts the brightness of LV so that it can still do phase detection AF without losing the LCD to black).

One advantage would be that such a camera would be completely silent (no mirror slap or shutter noise), which could be handy for shooting wildlife (or easily startled people

Multiple references in 2010, including
https://www.geek.com …der-interchangeable-lens/ (external link)
https://petavoxel.word​press.com/tag/intercha​ngeable-lens/ (external link)

The International Leica Society seems to have legitimized the acronum in 2016, too
https://lhsa.org …er/camera-reviews/page/4/ (external link)

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

sponsored links
TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,337 posts
Gallery: 98 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Sep 25, 2018 22:52 |  #17

Inspeqtor wrote in post #18716278 (external link)
I have been there and done that many times... typing too slow...

The EVIL or MILC lenses you refer to, is that the new RF lenses?

Nothing to do with lenses, it is the term for cameras like the EOS R. No mirror, just a sensor that meters, focus, and records, and a camera that still accepts lenses.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

Inspeqtor
Chet,You are a genius
7,143 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Sep 25, 2018 23:25 |  #18

Wilt wrote in post #18716289 (external link)
Term used a very long time ago, and EVIL is indeed a terrible sounding reference, which is why I left a letter out, leaving a soundalike acronym.

Started Jun 17, 2007 | Discussions thread
GreatLaker • Contributing Member • Posts: 907
In reply to Peter 1745 • Aug 6, 2007
Peter 1745 wrote:

In the post above the acronym EVIL is used. I’m not familiar with is
term. What does it mean?

Replace the mirror and prism viewfinder of a dSLR with an Electronic Viewfinder
--
BruceMcK

You can see that the term has been around for a very long time, often in context of the 4/3 format cameras

technophile
Ars Legatus Legionis
Tribus: Ogden, UT
Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:34 pm

I've also heard the term "EVIL" (Electronic Viewfinder, Interchangeable Lens) tossed around for cameras with large sensors, no SLR mechanism, but non-fixed lenses. I don't think any pure ones actually exist, but the technology is pretty clearly available or close to it (the AF issue being the biggest one, but I think Olympus at least is working on it; they have a "Live View Boost" mode that boosts the brightness of LV so that it can still do phase detection AF without losing the LCD to black).

One advantage would be that such a camera would be completely silent (no mirror slap or shutter noise), which could be handy for shooting wildlife (or easily startled people

Multiple references in 2010, including
https://www.geek.com …der-interchangeable-lens/ (external link)
https://petavoxel.word​press.com/tag/intercha​ngeable-lens/ (external link)

The International Leica Society seems to have legitimized the acronum in 2016, too
https://lhsa.org …er/camera-reviews/page/4/ (external link)

Thank you very much Wilt!

Charles
Canon EOS 60D Gripped * Canon EOS XSi * Flickr Account (external link)
Tokina AT-X Pro DX 11-20 f/2.8 * Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 DC Macro OS * Sigma 150-500 f5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM
Canon 18-55 IS Kit Lens * Canon 70-300 IS USM * Canon 50mm f1.8 * Canon 580EX II

Inspeqtor
Chet,You are a genius
7,143 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Sep 25, 2018 23:25 |  #19

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18716298 (external link)
Nothing to do with lenses, it is the term for cameras like the EOS R. No mirror, just a sensor that meters, focus, and records, and a camera that still accepts lenses.

I also thank you very much TeamSpeed

Charles
Canon EOS 60D Gripped * Canon EOS XSi * Flickr Account (external link)
Tokina AT-X Pro DX 11-20 f/2.8 * Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 DC Macro OS * Sigma 150-500 f5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM
Canon 18-55 IS Kit Lens * Canon 70-300 IS USM * Canon 50mm f1.8 * Canon 580EX II

Colin ­ Glover
Goldmember
1,363 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Aug 2012
Post edited 4 months ago by Colin Glover. (2 edits in all)

Sep 27, 2018 17:50 |  #20

The answer is, "As long as people keep buying Crop Sensor bodies!" It's like the VHS/Betamax and VHS/DVD debate. As long a Betamax recorders were selling, then Sony made the tapes (Think EF-S/EF Lenses), then when the number of Working Units dropped below a certain point because people were buying VHS when their Betamax machine died beyond repair they stopped making the tapes available to the mainstream public. When more people Had bought DVD players and stopped buying VHS they stopped making VHS players. So the manufacture of DVD HD stopped when Blue Ray became dominant.
So when sales of crop sensor cameras become so tiny they're insignificant then they'll stop making EF-S /EF. So when will that happen? When enough people go Full Frame. And when will that be? When we get a FF camera selling for the price of a rebel. So if Nikon or Sony release a DSLR or Mirrorless FF for $750 and it sells like hotcakes, Canon will follow suit. Just look at the new EOS R. Coming out after Nikon release a FF mirrorless. Will we get a FF mirorless $750 camera soon? I don't know, maybe in 5 years time. If the new EOS R is overpriced and doesn't sell, then people won't stop buying mirrored bodies (both crop and FF) until prices drop drastically. We english have a saying to describe I Don't Know. How long is a piece of string? That's when they'll stop making them. And it'll be a couple of years after that that support for the last few lenses released will stop.

Canon EOS 70D, Canon EOS 600D, EF-S 18-55 ii, EF 55-200 USM ii, EF-S 75-300 iii, Tamron 28-80, Sigma 70-210. Pentax 50mm, Pentax 135mm, EF-S 55-250, Raynox Macro adapter, Neewer filters (CPL, UV, FLD & ND4), Fuji HS20 EXR (30X zoom ) & cable release, Yongnuo 560 iii & Luxon 9800A manual flashguns for the Fuji, Hama Star 63 tripod, Hongdek RC-6 remote control, Velbon DF 40 www.point-n-shoot.co.uk website.

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,954 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 28, 2018 01:43 |  #21

Personally I would not expect Canon to release any R mount prime lens in a focal length longer than 165mm, or a zoom that has a wide end longer than about 70mm for a very long time. Once you get to these sorts of focal lengths you start to lose all the size benefits that the shorter registration distance gives you. With longer lenses it is the ƒ/number that usually dictates the diameter of the lens, and telephoto techniques only go so far for lens overall length. So it makes sense to just build EF mount telephoto lenses, and move the camera back with an adapter to hit the correct registration distance. We still see the same with APS-C only DLSR lenses. I'm pretty sure that the APS-C only zoom lens with the longest wide end is the Canon EF-S 55-250. Other than that you had the Sigma 50-150 ƒ/2.8 and now the 50-100 ƒ/1.8 in a crop only EF mount. Anything longer covers the full 36×24mm sensor area.

I also believe that the last holdouts for optical viewfinders will be the users of mostly longer focal lengths, especially the big whites. For many of these users zero VF lag is important, as is minimal blackout times. I doubt that we will ever get an EVF with a true zero lag display, and it is display lag that is the hardest bit to deal with when trying to synchronize high speed events. The issue with display lag is that it will change with exposure value. As long as it is consistent shutter lag is much simpler for the brain to allow for.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

Spencerphoto
335 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Sep 2018

Sep 28, 2018 01:57 |  #22

Depends what you mean by the "future". Nothing lasts forever, so I think the more pertinent question (and what you actually mean) is, "How much longer will the EF format lenses be supported?"

5D3, 7D2, EF 16-35 f/2.8L, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF 70-200 f/2.8L II, EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF 1.4x III, Sigma 150mm macro, Lumix LX100 plus a cupboard full of bags, tripods, flashes & stuff.

Ah-keong
933 posts
Gallery: 69 photos
Joined Apr 2016

Sep 28, 2018 03:23 |  #23

Think EF lens would be supported for another 10 years after the whole DSLR line is discontinued

Canon 7D2+grip | 18-35mm ART | EF-S 10-18mm | EF 70-200mm f/2,8L IS II | ZE 2/100mm | ZE 2/35mm | ZE 1,4/85mm | CV 3,5/20mm |
Olympus E-PL3 | 7-14mm f/2,8 |
Speedlite 430EX III-RT | 600EX-RT | YN 600EX-RT |
Manfrotto BeFree Travel Tripod |

mystik610
Cream of the Crop
8,524 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Jan 2012
Post edited 4 months ago by mystik610. (2 edits in all)

Sep 28, 2018 05:16 |  #24

BigAl007 wrote in post #18717797 (external link)
Personally I would not expect Canon to release any R mount prime lens in a focal length longer than 165mm, or a zoom that has a wide end longer than about 70mm for a very long time. Once you get to these sorts of focal lengths you start to lose all the size benefits that the shorter registration distance gives you. With longer lenses it is the ƒ/number that usually dictates the diameter of the lens, and telephoto techniques only go so far for lens overall length. So it makes sense to just build EF mount telephoto lenses, and move the camera back with an adapter to hit the correct registration distance. We still see the same with APS-C only DLSR lenses. I'm pretty sure that the APS-C only zoom lens with the longest wide end is the Canon EF-S 55-250. Other than that you had the Sigma 50-150 ƒ/2.8 and now the 50-100 ƒ/1.8 in a crop only EF mount. Anything longer covers the full 36×24mm sensor area.

I also believe that the last holdouts for optical viewfinders will be the users of mostly longer focal lengths, especially the big whites. For many of these users zero VF lag is important, as is minimal blackout times. I doubt that we will ever get an EVF with a true zero lag display, and it is display lag that is the hardest bit to deal with when trying to synchronize high speed events. The issue with display lag is that it will change with exposure value. As long as it is consistent shutter lag is much simpler for the brain to allow for.

Alan

Sony a9 already does continuous shooting with zero blackout.

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=rKvyxFGQMQs (external link)

Viewfinder lag is a matter of processing capability. These cameras are basically mini-computers...There have already been major improvements in viewfinder lag with existing mirrorless cameras, and eventually the processing power of these things will get to the point where there'll be no perceptible lag in the EVF regardless of the exposure. Moore's law.

Also..benefits to mirrorless cameras are a lot more than size. i.e. zero blackout continuous shooting. Also Computational AF using the live-view image has tremendous upside.. Eye-AF has been a game changing feature for portraits (and that's not hyperbole), and Sony is working on getting it to work on animals (external link). In general, there is a lot that mirrorless focusing systems could potentially do in terms of objection detection, tracking, and recall. At some point they'll start to pull away from DSLR in big ways, and yeah Canon has to focus their attention on building their products that can keep up with their competitors. That means a shift in priority on the glass side too, as you'd want truly native glass with AF systems that are fully optimized for on-sensor AF systems.

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α7ʀIII
Zeiss Loxia 21 - Canon 24-70 2.8LII - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - Sony 50 1.8 - Sony 85GM - Sigma 135 f1.8 ART

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,795 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 29, 2018 10:03 |  #25

Bear Dale wrote in post #18702409 (external link)
Will Canon keep supporting EF lenses into the future or will they transition to the newer mount?

Colin Glover wrote in post #18717617 (external link)
The answer is, "As long as people keep buying Crop Sensor bodies!"

So when sales of crop sensor cameras become so tiny they're insignificant then they'll stop making EF-S /EF. . So when will that happen? . When enough people go Full Frame.

What do crop body cameras have to do with EF mount support?

You answer the question as if the OP had asked about EF-S lenses, which he didn't. He only asked about EF lenses.

I don't understand why you discuss crop bodies vs. full frame bodies in relation to the OP's question. . If you could explain how this is pertinent to the question that was asked, I would appreciate it.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,264 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 4 months ago by Wilt. (2 edits in all)

Sep 29, 2018 20:29 |  #26

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18718573 (external link)
What do crop body cameras have to do with EF mount support?

You answer the question as if the OP had asked about EF-S lenses, which he didn't. He only asked about EF lenses.

I don't understand why you discuss crop bodies vs. full frame bodies in relation to the OP's question. . If you could explain how this is pertinent to the question that was asked, I would appreciate it.

Perhaps the feeling that was being expressed is that
'EF mount lens development will not go away until FF EF mount bodies and APS-C EF/EFS mount cameras are made virtually obsolete by a Canon R mount designs in both FF and also APS-C sensor Canon bodies'.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,795 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Sep 29, 2018 20:48 as a reply to  @ Wilt's post |  #27

No, that reasoning would not be at all consistent with what Colin said in his post, because he made a distinction between FF and crop bodies, whereas your explanation lumps them together.

I'm looking for Colin to explain what he said, because only he knows what he was thinking.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,614 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Sep 29, 2018 22:51 |  #28

The short answer is that yes, Canon will keep supporting EF lenses for the foreseeable future.

Canon 5D mk IV
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

Colin ­ Glover
Goldmember
1,363 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Oct 04, 2018 11:36 as a reply to  @ Wilt's post |  #29

The fact is that EF lenses will work on crop bodies. As long as crop bodies are sold EF lenses will fit. It's not true the other way around. EF-S won't fit full frame. Now we will need an entry level format, but I don't think EF-R or EF (I mean as in bodies) will be that cheap. Imagine a 6D equivalent for £400.00. It won't happen. And if the EOS R really takes off, to the point that most FF users go mirrorless, what else would fill the gap?

Canon EOS 70D, Canon EOS 600D, EF-S 18-55 ii, EF 55-200 USM ii, EF-S 75-300 iii, Tamron 28-80, Sigma 70-210. Pentax 50mm, Pentax 135mm, EF-S 55-250, Raynox Macro adapter, Neewer filters (CPL, UV, FLD & ND4), Fuji HS20 EXR (30X zoom ) & cable release, Yongnuo 560 iii & Luxon 9800A manual flashguns for the Fuji, Hama Star 63 tripod, Hongdek RC-6 remote control, Velbon DF 40 www.point-n-shoot.co.uk website.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,337 posts
Gallery: 98 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Oct 04, 2018 14:06 |  #30

Colin Glover wrote in post #18722198 (external link)
The fact is that EF lenses will work on crop bodies. As long as crop bodies are sold EF lenses will fit. It's not true the other way around. EF-S won't fit full frame. Now we will need an entry level format, but I don't think EF-R or EF (I mean as in bodies) will be that cheap. Imagine a 6D equivalent for £400.00. It won't happen. And if the EOS R really takes off, to the point that most FF users go mirrorless, what else would fill the gap?

Well, actually we do have a FF that accepts both EF and EFS lenses now.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

sponsored links

6,291 views & 17 likes for this thread
Will Canon keep supporting EF lenses?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.