Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 30 Sep 2018 (Sunday) 19:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Wasabi and aftermarket lp-e6

Frodge
Goldmember
3,071 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Sep 30, 2018 19:20 |  #1

Has anyone had the swelling problem with the wasabi Lp-e6 batteries as described in this thread:
https://www.dpreview.c​om/forums/thread/40162​95 (external link)

I have had (2)canon Lp-e6 batteries go to one red bar with Very little use, so I’m kind of disappointed. These batteries are quite expensive compared to the wasabi, but I don’t want one of these swelling in my camera. Any thoughts. Also, the canon batteries seem to still charge and perform ok. I’m not sure what is going on.

sponsored links
gossamer88
"something else"
1,036 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Joined Aug 2014

Sep 30, 2018 20:09 |  #2

I have four of them. Two from 2014 and two I bought last year. None have ever swelled up.

Canon 5D Mark IV | Tamron 24-70mm G2 | Tamron 70-200mm G2 | 85mm 1.8 | 50mm STM | 35mm f/2 IS | Powershot G9 X | iPhone 7
flickr (external link)

RodS57
786 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Sep 30, 2018 20:53 |  #3

That thread is from 2016 with no recent updates.

I have the original LP E6N (7D2) so that is 4 years old now. Also bought an OEM spare that is still in the packaging.

I have looked at after market just to have something to toss in the bag if the camera is low on juice. Been caught a few times like that. Might pick up a set (looked at them a couple of weeks ago) but I've had no experience with them. A co-worker has used 3rd party and has had no issues as far as I know. Brand is unknown and they were used in a grip so no chance to damage the camera if they did swell.

Rod

>>> Pictures? What pictures? <<<<

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,299 posts
Gallery: 155 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Sep 30, 2018 21:31 |  #4

I literally don't know how many Wasabi batteries I have. Must have at least 8 or 10 LPE6 alone.
No I have not had this problem.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

dixiedawn
223 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Oct 01, 2018 00:23 |  #5

I posted about this back in Aug 2017. I bought a twin pack of the Wasabi Lp-E8 off Amazon in Apr 2015. Used both of them and the OEM interchangeably without issue until summer 2017. At that time, one of the Wasabis started to fit a little tight in my T3i, and then one day it would not eject. I had to very carefully pry it out. It was definitely swollen in the middle, as it would rock when placed on a flat surface.

I'm still using the second one, no issues. I just recently bought another Canon as a spare, though. Wary of third party...

debbie

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,954 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 01, 2018 01:52 |  #6

If a cell fails it can swell up, that's actually one of the most common physical signs of a failed cell. It's something I've witnesses with rechargeable cells since the late 60's with NiCads. It's a problem that can affect any manufacturers cells, and I'm sure that Canon aren't manufacturing the cells themselves anyway, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Cells for the third party units likely come off the same production lines as cells for Canon at various times. There are very few manufacturers of the actual cells.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

Frodge
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,071 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Oct 01, 2018 06:32 |  #7

I actually just did the spin test on a wasabi Lp-e8 for my t3i. Fits in the camera perfectly, yet it is not entirely flat like the canon battery. I guess you could call it bloat. It’s less than a year old and used once. The weird thing is there is no resistance when pushing it into the battery compartment, but you can spin it.

Sibil
Cream of the Crop
8,142 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 01, 2018 06:39 |  #8

I have a few different ones, and none has failed so far.

Frodge
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,071 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Oct 01, 2018 07:20 |  #9

So my basic question is whether it’s worth buying the Canon batteries. I’m not cheap, but don’t want to be foolish either. I have no problem paying for the canon batteries if they are of superior quality. The last thing I want is a battery getting stuck in my camera. Aside from saving money, how would you compare the wasabi vs Canon batteries side by side.

Sibil
Cream of the Crop
8,142 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 01, 2018 08:13 |  #10

Frodge wrote in post #18719856 (external link)
Aside from saving money, how would you compare the wasabi vs Canon batteries side by side.

In my case, they have performed equally well. I have 2 Canon and 4 Wasabi LP-6E batteries.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,325 posts
Gallery: 98 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited 4 months ago by TeamSpeed.

Oct 01, 2018 08:55 |  #11

Swelling occurs usually because:
1) batteries are left to almost completely discharge, which causes gasses
2) High heat, either from a charger, or from leaving in a vehicle, for instance
3) Bad charger or cutoff circult faulty in the battery so the battery overcharges/overheats

I make sure batteries are always charged and ready to go, I rarely leave gear in a hot car, and I use either the charger that came with the battery or the Canon charger, but usually the latter.

I have not had batteries that swelled. I will do a voltage check once in a while, I also note which aftermarkets start to be deficient in their operations/life between charges, and if they get low, they get recycled and I buy new ones.

If it is was a widespread issue, you would see it mentioned everywhere. We rarely, rarely hear any stories of issues like this though through the years. Just a few here and there vs the number of sales Wasabi and Sterlingtek have made.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,299 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Oct 01, 2018 10:59 |  #12

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18719894 (external link)
Swelling occurs usually because:
1) batteries are left to almost completely discharge, which causes gasses

I need to be more careful. I tend to "over-buy" batteries. Often I will "need" a good handful for a specific event or outing (trip abroad etc.) but then will go another 9-12 months before being in a similar situation. I do not have any system for proper battery rotation, or storage.

This #1 cause puts me high in the risk area.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,325 posts
Gallery: 98 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Oct 01, 2018 11:42 |  #13

This is why we need new battery tech. I have a ton of lithium based batteries in various things from garden implements to personal items to old laptops. It is silly that I have to cycle through all of these in my house just to charge them up so that they don't swell and later cause issues. We had "memory" with nicad, reduced memory with nimh, fire risks with lithiums, one would think by now we would have a very stable and efficient power source.

Bring on Mr Fusion, I have banana peels to throw in!

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

Frodge
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,071 posts
Joined Nov 2012
Post edited 4 months ago by Frodge.

Oct 01, 2018 12:07 |  #14

So is it best to just have 2 batteries and rotate until they expire if you don’t take thousands of photos per week? I have (3) lp-e6 and (2) lp-e8 batteries. I generally for the most part don’t go through more than 1 battery per shoot. I’d like a couple more because my canon lp-e6 has one red box, the rest are aftermarket. Weird, because it only had about 4000 shots through it. (The canon, still seems to work)

What makes it more difficult is I can get one of each of the above in the wasabi brand for $24 or 2 of each of the above for $33. Please advise whether to just use what I have, or best to get a couple. I always get nervous about companies discontinuing things like this.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,299 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Oct 01, 2018 12:23 |  #15

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18719994 (external link)

Bring on Mr Fusion, I have banana peels to throw in!

My plug in could use a 1.21 jigawatt infusion!

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

sponsored links

2,373 views & 3 likes for this thread
Wasabi and aftermarket lp-e6
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.