Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
Thread started 27 Feb 2018 (Tuesday) 07:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sony A7III

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
6,991 posts
Gallery: 69 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Aug 15, 2018 07:43 |  #631

lapino wrote in post #18684565 (external link)
The Fuji kitlens has a F2.8-F4 aperture, is all metal and has a very sturdy build. The Sony kitlens feels a bit cheaper. Not dissing it, it's just my first observation. I think I'll go for the 28/2 + 55/1.8 setup once I get my Fuji 56 sold.

I guess you really have to expect kit lens price and quality for most manufacturers to be budget conscious. Fuji’s price of the 18-55 reflects on quality if you buy it separately in retail box form.

I really have accepted the Sony files as “different” and not as nice looking sooc than Fuji.

Benefits of Sony is DR and cleaner images. Even though I still prefer the usage of mirrored bodies I change my shoooting techniques using Sony vs my primary Canon system.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 50-140 | TT685
Sony A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | GM16-35 f/2.8 | Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 | GM70-200 f/2.8 |Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS

sponsored links
Redmpt
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Oct 2017

Aug 23, 2018 12:06 |  #632

Coming from a Samsung NX1, i can't say i'm impressed by the dynamic range or the sharpness since the Samsung was already great but i enjoy the shallow DOF and the nice rendering of the Zeiss FE lenses.

IMAGE: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1777/28910267707_32b480804f_h.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://www.flickr.com​/photos/festsky/289102​67707/  (external link)
DSC06009 (external link) by fest0sky (external link) on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm1.staticflickr.com/922/43283833881_00be1f96cb_h.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://www.flickr.com​/photos/festsky/432838​33881  (external link)
DSC08207 (external link) by fest0sky (external link) on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm1.staticflickr.com/937/28925496557_794ad81d08_h.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://www.flickr.com​/photos/festsky/289254​96557  (external link)
DSC06315 (external link) by fest0sky (external link) on Flickr

Mookalafalas
Cream of the Crop
5,100 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Jul 2010
Post edited 5 months ago by Mookalafalas.

Sep 02, 2018 04:24 |  #633

My local dealer has an A7iii for rather cheap, and an A7Riii for way below regular price. I got very excited. I've been thinking about going Sony for a while. (I have a secondary M4/3 system, and really like the idea of smaller sized everything, but don't want to give up FF.) And then I read this whole thread.
My takeaway is that 1) Sony glass is good, although generally not better than Canon mount glass (Canon, Sigma), but a lot more expensive 2). Using a converter, Canon glass works pretty well on the Sonys, but not nearly as well as it does on Canon (I've got a 5D4, btw), or as native glass on the sonys 3) Sony has a couple of great focus features (eye tracking), but it generally only works with expensive (dare I say, pretty overpriced?) Sony glass 4) Most(? many? Some?) Canon users find Sony colors a bit odd in some way.

I've handled a couple of the Sonys, and although I love the look and feel, to me the balance and handling with large lenses attached is awkward and "finger-tiring." I've heard many times that the Sony sensor is better than Canon's, but that wasn't discussed/demonstrated in the thread, and no pictures were displayed that made me say "Wow! Canon couldn't do that." I wouldn't mind being persuaded to switch over, but just didn't really encounter anything that persuasive here. For those of you that are true believers, what am I missing?

Call me Al Gear Flickr (external link)
You don’t have to have a great lens to take great pictures—but it sure helps. –Ben Long

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
15,446 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 02, 2018 05:51 |  #634

Mookalafalas wrote in post #18698381 (external link)
My local dealer has an A7iii for rather cheap, and an A7Riii for way below regular price. I got very excited. I've been thinking about going Sony for a while. (I have a secondary M4/3 system, and really like the idea of smaller sized everything, but don't want to give up FF.) And then I read this whole thread.
My takeaway is that 1) Sony glass is good, although generally not better than Canon mount glass (Canon, Sigma), but a lot more expensive 2). Using a converter, Canon glass works pretty well on the Sonys, but not nearly as well as it does on Canon (I've got a 5D4, btw), or as native glass on the sonys 3) Sony has a couple of great focus features (eye tracking), but it generally only works with expensive (dare I say, pretty overpriced?) Sony glass 4) Most(? many? Some?) Canon users find Sony colors a bit odd in some way.

I've handled a couple of the Sonys, and although I love the look and feel, to me the balance and handling with large lenses attached is awkward and "finger-tiring." I've heard many times that the Sony sensor is better than Canon's, but that wasn't discussed/demonstrated in the thread, and no pictures were displayed that made me say "Wow! Canon couldn't do that." I wouldn't mind being persuaded to switch over, but just didn't really encounter anything that persuasive here. For those of you that are true believers, what am I missing?

Underestimating how good and useful eye AF is. In the end, we can all achieve the same, the path to what is achieved is different. With Sony , you just have a lot more options of turning your camera small and lightweight yet still have options of turning your system into a monstrosity. One day, I can shoot 35 f2.8 body and lens combo of 750g give or take, the next I can shoot an event with 35 f1.4, 85 f1.8, 135 f1.8 monster setup. Having a lot of small options makes a big difference. The 12-24 is half the size of the canon equivalent. The 28-75 f2.8 is 300g less than the 24-70 f2.8 by canon and a lot smaller. The combination of having these options and a revolutionary eye AF, is tough to ignore.

At this point, Sony has a rather complete offering, high price, low price, don’t waste your time and money on adapters, go native. Only exception is MC-11 adapter + sigma lenses is basically native.

The gen 3 cameras are polished, fast, and powerful systems that can do it all.

The RAWs area bit different, but work great. Just be a little open to learning color basics and breaking old habits.

There are stages of exceptance when going to Sony, ridicule, opposition, accepted as self evident ;-)a

Seen it so many times.

Sony A7rii/A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - CV 21/3.5 - FE 35/2.8 - SY 35/1.4 AF - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

Mookalafalas
Cream of the Crop
5,100 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Sep 02, 2018 09:38 |  #635

Charlie wrote in post #18698405 (external link)
Underestimating how good and useful eye AF is. In the end, we can all achieve the same, the path to what is achieved is different. With Sony , you just have a lot more options of turning your camera small and lightweight yet still have options of turning your system into a monstrosity. One day, I can shoot 35 f2.8 body and lens combo of 750g give or take, the next I can shoot an event with 35 f1.4, 85 f1.8, 135 f1.8 monster setup. Having a lot of small options makes a big difference. The 12-24 is half the size of the canon equivalent. The 28-75 f2.8 is 300g less than the 24-70 f2.8 by canon and a lot smaller. The combination of having these options and a revolutionary eye AF, is tough to ignore.

At this point, Sony has a rather complete offering, high price, low price, don’t waste your time and money on adapters, go native. Only exception is MC-11 adapter + sigma lenses is basically native.

The gen 3 cameras are polished, fast, and powerful systems that can do it all.

The RAWs area bit different, but work great. Just be a little open to learning color basics and breaking old habits.

There are stages of exceptance when going to Sony, ridicule, opposition, accepted as self evident ;-)a

Seen it so many times.

Thanks for the nice response, Charlie. It does sound attractive, and if I were just starting now, I'd definitely go the Sony route. I have a good setup now, and also have a M4/3 kit, when I want to go REALLY small. I'll be thinking about it, but the money I would lose switching to have a somewhat smaller but essentially equivalent system isn't in the cards just now--although I am pretty confident Sony is the way of the future.

You don’t have to have a great lens to take great pictures—but it sure helps. –Ben Long

Archibald
You must be quackers!
7,676 posts
Gallery: 316 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Sep 02, 2018 10:33 |  #636

Mookalafalas wrote in post #18698381 (external link)

Wow, thanks for the great summary of a complex issue.

I too am lurking and waiting and comparing systems from time to time. Considering the trends, I will probably switch to Sony at some point, but I think the time is not right just yet.

Sony RX10 IV, Canon 7D2, Canon 77D, assorted Canon lenses
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

Mookalafalas
Cream of the Crop
5,100 posts
Joined Jul 2010
Post edited 5 months ago by Mookalafalas. (2 edits in all)

Sep 02, 2018 10:50 |  #637

Archibald wrote in post #18698552 (external link)
Wow, thanks for the great summary of a complex issue.

I too am lurking and waiting and comparing systems from time to time. Considering the trends, I will probably switch to Sony at some point, but I think the time is not right just yet.

Yeah, it really is tricky. If we are going to sell all our gear and make a switch, we don't want to wait TOO long, as resale prices are already much less firm than they used to be. And I'm not a Canon fanboy--actually as a company, I admire Sony more than Canon.
But...I was just browsing the A7iii groups at flickr. I didn't spend too much time, but I certainly didn't see anything that made me want to jump ship.
One thing in Sony's favor, however, is it seems like 3rd party lens makers are starting to swarm in their direction. I just read at Lenstip.com that Samyang has 20(! can that really be right?) lenses for Sony, including a 1.4 35mm with AF. That's very good news...

mystik610
Cream of the Crop
8,509 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Sep 02, 2018 10:55 |  #638

Mookalafalas wrote in post #18698564 (external link)
But...I was just browsing the A7iii groups at flickr. I didn't spend too much time, but I certainly didn't see anything that made me want to jump ship.

These are all FF sensors at the end of the day. Unless you have some super high contrast scene that can only be hammered down with Sony caliber DR, then you're not going to see a difference in the final photos.

The biggest advantages to mirrorless cameras come in the compositional process. Charlie talked about eye AF, but exposure preview via the viewfinder, wider AF coverage, more critically accurate AF, IBIS, etc etc are where the value propositions lie.

Also when using smaller lenses, smaller set-ups do encourage you to shoot in situations you otherwise might not bring a camera.

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α7ʀIII
Zeiss Loxia 21 - Canon 24-70 2.8LII - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - Sony 50 1.8 - Sony 85GM - Sigma 135 f1.8 ART

Mookalafalas
Cream of the Crop
5,100 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Sep 02, 2018 11:05 |  #639

mystik610 wrote in post #18698569 (external link)
These are all FF sensors at the end of the day. Unless you have some super high contrast scene that can only be hammered down with Sony caliber DR, then you're not going to see a difference in the final photos.

The biggest advantages to mirrorless cameras come in the compositional process. Charlie talked about eye AF, but exposure preview via the viewfinder, wider AF coverage, more critically accurate AF, IBIS, etc etc are where the value propositions lie.

Also when using smaller lenses, smaller set-ups do encourage you to shoot in situations you otherwise might not bring a camera.

Better AF and smaller size are giant pluses, no question, although for my style of photography AF isn't a big problem. Here is a question though: 5D4 raw files are incredible in Post--I can lift shadows and tamp down highlights like crazy and still have great results (unlike the 5D2 and 3, which were miserable). I can also focus in crazy dark situations. How is the Sony in these respects?

mystik610
Cream of the Crop
8,509 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Sep 02, 2018 11:30 |  #640

Mookalafalas wrote in post #18698578 (external link)
Better AF and smaller size are giant pluses, no question, although for my style of photography AF isn't a big problem. Here is a question though: 5D4 raw files are incredible in Post--I can lift shadows and tamp down highlights like crazy and still have great results (unlike the 5D2 and 3, which were miserable). I can also focus in crazy dark situations. How is the Sony in these respects?

a7III has a one stop advantage in DR throughout the entire ISO range, so there's even more latitude in the Sony files than the Canon. Both 5DIV and a7III are rated at -3EV, so the a7III should be able to focus just as well in the dark. I don't own the a7III, but shoot things like dark wedding reception halls just fine with the a7rIII.

This is with native glass though. One area where adapted glass suffers quite a bit is in AF low light AF.

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α7ʀIII
Zeiss Loxia 21 - Canon 24-70 2.8LII - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - Sony 50 1.8 - Sony 85GM - Sigma 135 f1.8 ART

Mookalafalas
Cream of the Crop
5,100 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Sep 02, 2018 12:04 |  #641

Thanks for the quick response! That's all good to know.

71sbeetle
Goldmember
3,431 posts
Gallery: 27 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Sep 02, 2018 12:55 |  #642

I used to own 3 5D4, I'm now on Sony A7III and haven't looked back! In the end, the result will be the same it's just getting to the result that is much simplified. Best way to explain it that I came up with is imagine you have to go from New York to Los Angeles, you can take a bus route across the country (Canon) or you can have a driver pick you up in a limo, drop you off at your private jet and fly across (Sony). In the end you went from New York to Los Angeles, but one way was much easier than the other. Honestly the upcoming Canon mirrorless is tempting but if there is nothing equivalent to Sony eye AF then I won't even look at it. I was able to use eye AF with cheap Sony lenses too not sure where you saw it only worked with expensive lenses. Also for all my Canon lenses the Metabones V was much better than the MC-11 EXCEPT the 16-35 f/4 IS. I also tried the A7RIII, and that body would not have made me switch, the A7III did, the AF is just that much better to me.
There is one thing about Sony that I miss from Canon: color science. Sometimes I have shots that I just can't get the color the way I want. But right now you could offer me a free 5D4 against my A7III I wouldn't even consider it.

gareymartin.com (external link)
flickr (external link)
gear list | CPS.
eBay (external link) | POTN
VWVortex (external link)

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
6,991 posts
Gallery: 69 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Sep 02, 2018 22:17 |  #643

71sbeetle wrote in post #18698656 (external link)
I used to own 3 5D4, I'm now on Sony A7III and haven't looked back! In the end, the result will be the same it's just getting to the result that is much simplified. Best way to explain it that I came up with is imagine you have to go from New York to Los Angeles, you can take a bus route across the country (Canon) or you can have a driver pick you up in a limo, drop you off at your private jet and fly across (Sony). In the end you went from New York to Los Angeles, but one way was much easier than the other. Honestly the upcoming Canon mirrorless is tempting but if there is nothing equivalent to Sony eye AF then I won't even look at it. I was able to use eye AF with cheap Sony lenses too not sure where you saw it only worked with expensive lenses. Also for all my Canon lenses the Metabones V was much better than the MC-11 EXCEPT the 16-35 f/4 IS. I also tried the A7RIII, and that body would not have made me switch, the A7III did, the AF is just that much better to me.
There is one thing about Sony that I miss from Canon: color science. Sometimes I have shots that I just can't get the color the way I want. But right now you could offer me a free 5D4 against my A7III I wouldn't even consider it.

Well I trust my 5d4 100% in pitch darkness with external flash. Af just simply works. I cannot say that with my adapted canon glass.

I’ll need GM glass before I touch Sony for hired work.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 50-140 | TT685
Sony A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | GM16-35 f/2.8 | Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 | GM70-200 f/2.8 |Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,262 posts
Gallery: 485 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Sep 23, 2018 23:58 |  #644

IMAGE: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1958/43066554800_a3914c9ffb_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/28BD​mjU  (external link) Monarch 1 (external link) by Trevor H (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1951/44827980452_7986fb8fb5_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2bii​7NG  (external link) Monarch 2 (external link) by Trevor H (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1935/44827980222_756b6d474f_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2bii​7JJ  (external link) Monarch 3 (external link) by Trevor H (external link), on Flickr

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 70-200. Time and good health
Deviantart (external link)
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!) (external link)

squashed
Goldmember
3,980 posts
Gallery: 59 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Sep 30, 2018 21:40 |  #645

First day out with this little beast of a camera. Winds were ripping but still a blast trying to make images with what fells like a toy compared to the 1D MK IV. I'm impressed.
I would like to thank CPS for completely screwing me on my 5D MK4. Sony has a new fan.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

1D MK IV Sony A7 III EOS R
http://www.garyyoungph​otography.com (external link)

sponsored links

73,116 views & 365 likes for this thread
Sony A7III
FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.