Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 05 Sep 2018 (Wednesday) 02:31
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "How's the new EOS-R stack up for you?"
It's Amazing!
26.5%
It's kind of a let down
33.8%
It's trash
8.5%
It's good for the price
23.5%
It helped me pick a new body
7.7%

189 voters, 260 votes given (3 choices choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

EOS-R - It's out. Thoughts?

this thread is locked
JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,463 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Jan 2007
Post edited 4 months ago by JeffreyG.

Sep 30, 2018 19:53 |  #1591

umphotography wrote in post #18719543 (external link)
4:41

Tony is a guy you can trust

And Sony people get off the high horse. They dont work well with non Sony glass. Hit and miss 4:20....exactly what I have said all along

I'm not understanding this comment. It's a nice feature that Sony cameras work reasonably well with adapted lenses from other manufacturers. It's true that the performance is not as good as with Sony's own lenses, but it is still pretty usable in non-demanding situations.

Canon EOS bodies work in AF with precisely zero lenses made in other mounts. Ditto for Nikon. You cannot mount a Sony lens on EOS. You cannot mount Nikkors on EOS. These do not work at all.

If you don't find adapted lens performance on the Sony to be good enough for your needs, fine. But that's not a negative. It's a feature that it works at all. I do not expect the Canon R body to work with some kind of adapter that allows use of autofocus lenses in other mounts (Sony, Nikon, Fuji etc.)

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

sponsored links
mdvaden
Goldmember
2,831 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 30, 2018 21:11 |  #1592

rogue.guineapig wrote in post #18719566 (external link)
When Tony did his little "sensor comparison" (EOS-R vs A7Riii vs A7ii vs 6D2 etc) test video recently, I and a bunch of others noticed just how BAD the A7iii looked...which after some digging I attributed to the 70-200 2.8 G series lens he was using.
I mean it was BAD...soft and crappy. So that lens falls short but the Sony 90mm and the 16-35 are supposed to really be awesome, as is of course the new 24mm.
I just don't think they have the 70-200 sewed yet.

That would be one of the most important zoom ranges. Northrup is fairly thorough so I was guessing he probably tried or borrowed an extra copy to make certain for a conclusion on that one. The "bad" you noted isn't any exaggeration from what I remember.

At the moment, I use the Tamron 70-200mm with my 5DS and the lens works lovely. I'm hoping it functions as nicely on the EOS R or following model using adapter. If not for some reason, I'm willing to get Canon's 70-200mm. The only reason I didn't originally was to have a black lens instead of white.

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

rogue.guineapig
THREAD ­ STARTER
302 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Sep 30, 2018 21:58 |  #1593

mdvaden wrote in post #18719622 (external link)
That would be one of the most important zoom ranges. Northrup is fairly thorough so I was guessing he probably tried or borrowed an extra copy to make certain for a conclusion on that one. The "bad" you noted isn't any exaggeration from what I remember.

At the moment, I use the Tamron 70-200mm with my 5DS and the lens works lovely. I'm hoping it functions as nicely on the EOS R or following model using adapter. If not for some reason, I'm willing to get Canon's 70-200mm. The only reason I didn't originally was to have a black lens instead of white.

The 2.8L II IS is a mega capable lens that is a good deal used... I love mine. I really am considering a move to Sony but I don't think I can give this lens up. The rest? Probably. The Canon 70-200L (especially after the Lens Rental review of Sony's 70-200 G series) is one
lens I'm worried about losing.

Canon 6D w/MagicLantern, 16-35 f/2.8LII, 100mm f/2.8L, 70-200 f/2.8LII, 300mm f/4L, and a lot of luck

mdvaden
Goldmember
2,831 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Post edited 4 months ago by mdvaden. (4 edits in all)

Sep 30, 2018 22:12 |  #1594

rogue.guineapig wrote in post #18719648 (external link)
The 2.8L II IS is a mega capable lens that is a good deal used... I love mine. I really am considering a move to Sony but I don't think I can give this lens up. The rest? Probably. The Canon 70-200L (especially after the Lens Rental review of Sony's 70-200 G series) is one
lens I'm worried about losing.

Here is from my Tamron 70-200mm 2.8 VC taken using the Canon 5DS at maximum 5792 x 8688 pixels. One is the full image reduced to the forum's maximum of 1100 pixels to show what was framed. The 2nd is a 100% crop. This is why I'm very hopeful my Tamron works on the new EOS R adapted. If I'm not mistaken, the crop below would be close to 200% from a 5D mk iii / 5D mk iv

I saw some guy's review of a Tamron 70-200 that I think he used on a Sony, but the image file from the Tamron lens he used didn't come near the quality I''m getting from my copy designed for the Canon bodies. My copy isn't perfect, but I sure enjoy the focus and color I'm getting and would prefer keep and use it with the EOS R using the adapter.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
15,470 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 30, 2018 22:35 |  #1595

JeffreyG wrote in post #18719571 (external link)
I'm not understanding this comment. It's a nice feature that Sony cameras work reasonably well with adapted lenses from other manufacturers. It's true that the performance is not as good as with Sony's own lenses, but it is still pretty usable in non-demanding situations.

Canon EOS bodies work in AF with precisely zero lenses made in other mounts. Ditto for Nikon. You cannot mount a Sony lens on EOS. You cannot mount Nikkors on EOS. These do not work at all.

If you don't find adapted lens performance on the Sony to be good enough for your needs, fine. But that's not a negative. It's a feature that it works at all. I do not expect the Canon R body to work with some kind of adapter that allows use of autofocus lenses in other mounts (Sony, Nikon, Fuji etc.)

You gotta consider some context, Tony is a heavy video shooter, and adapted lenses are horrific in that scenario.

I know for a fact, that adapted lenses can eye focus better than EOS-R and their native lenses.

Sony A7rii/A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - CV 21/3.5 - FE 35/2.8 - SY 35/1.4 AF - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
15,470 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 30, 2018 22:41 |  #1596

mdvaden wrote in post #18719654 (external link)
Here is from my Tamron 70-200mm 2.8 VC taken using the Canon 5DS at maximum 5792 x 8688 pixels. One is the full image reduced to the forum's maximum of 1100 pixels to show what was framed. The 2nd is a 100% crop. This is why I'm very hopeful my Tamron works on the new EOS R adapted. If I'm not mistaken, the crop below would be close to 200% from a 5D mk iii / 5D mk iv

I saw some guy's review of a Tamron 70-200 that I think he used on a Sony, but the image file from the Tamron lens he used didn't come near the quality I''m getting from my copy designed for the Canon bodies. My copy isn't perfect, but I sure enjoy the focus and color I'm getting and would prefer keep and use it with the EOS R using the adapter.
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by mdvaden in
./showthread.php?p=187​19654&i=i36472643
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=187​19654&i=i245647199

Stopped down, the Tamron can hang with the best of them. Wide open at the long end, the 2.8ii is in a different league.

More relevant as you increase pixels

Sony A7rii/A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - CV 21/3.5 - FE 35/2.8 - SY 35/1.4 AF - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

rantercsr
Goldmember
2,847 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Sep 30, 2018 23:12 |  #1597

if you trust tony.. (and I do have confidence in his opinions)

I get more than 50% eye af accuracy with my 35L mkii on the a7r3.. a lot better than 50%

I got a couple of Cameras and lenses ...Canon, Sony, Fuji, Pansonic, pentax
My portraits IG (external link)My everything else IG (external link)
MY flickr (external link)
My latest YT video -->https://youtu.be/YzJ1o​eiHm7Y (external link)

rogue.guineapig
THREAD ­ STARTER
302 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jan 2011
Post edited 4 months ago by rogue.guineapig. (2 edits in all)

Sep 30, 2018 23:20 as a reply to  @ Charlie's post |  #1598

I think I'd agree at least from the standpoint of having talked to a few folks about it...this is my Canon 70-200L II IS, wide open at 2.8, 100% crop on my humble 6D.
I'm really happy with it... like the main justification for asking about a metabones is this lens. I'm just flat happy and content with it. And I want an A7iii to like it too...

HOSTED PHOTO

Canon 6D w/MagicLantern, 16-35 f/2.8LII, 100mm f/2.8L, 70-200 f/2.8LII, 300mm f/4L, and a lot of luck

mdvaden
Goldmember
2,831 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Post edited 4 months ago by mdvaden.

Sep 30, 2018 23:43 |  #1599

Charlie wrote in post #18719674 (external link)
Stopped down, the Tamron can hang with the best of them. Wide open at the long end, the 2.8ii is in a different league.

At f/2.8 to f/3.2 I'm still getting good hair and lash detail. Enough for 20 x 30 prints which I don't print often. This is 100% crop from the same Tamron 70-200mm set to 134mm and 1/160th sec. for a wobbling subject. I'm still seeing good detail wide open in the hair blowing around. At 134mm from close distance, the DOF should be about 4 in. to 6 in. from where I was standing about 15 to 20 feet away. No sharpening.

It's comparable to what rogue guinea pig shared above, but I suspect they framed tighter with a DOF barely an inch deep because their shot reminds me of my 85mm 1.2 DOF when I'm standing 6 feet from someone shooting 1.2 or 1.4

I'm looking forward to see what all 3rd party lenses work with the EOS R once its released and others by the hundreds start experimenting. Actually, I'm considering getting the Canon 70-200mm 2.8 in addition to have two lenses. But I probably should wait to see if an RF versiion is released and what it costs before choosing.

HOSTED PHOTO

sploo
premature adulation
2,400 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011

Oct 01, 2018 04:34 |  #1600

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18718057 (external link)
The presence (or lack of) an additional connection should be enough to "immediately" let the camera know an RF lor EF ens is mounted. In other words, if one of the new/additional connections is active I would think that would be plenty to let the high speed communication start without a handshake.

Maybe.

Agreed - though if I understood correctly the original question was about future compatibility (e.g. the compatibility with EF lenses in the scenario that the R mount allows faster communication rates with R lenses at some future revision/development).

Camera, some lenses, too little time, too little talent

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
9,255 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Oct 01, 2018 07:00 |  #1601

sploo wrote in post #18719801 (external link)
Agreed - though if I understood correctly the original question was about future compatibility (e.g. the compatibility with EF lenses in the scenario that the R mount allows faster communication rates with R lenses at some future revision/development).

Fairly certain RF mount already allows faster communication with RF lenses.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,463 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Oct 2007
Post edited 4 months ago by umphotography.

Oct 01, 2018 09:15 |  #1602

JeffreyG wrote in post #18719571 (external link)

My comments was directed at all the false information put out on the net by Sony shooters about camera performance

I was constantly hearing from all the Sony fan boys on the national teaching circuits ( WPPI and PPA ) that the advantage of Sony was that you can use any lens on the bodies with a megabones or Sigma adapter with no performance issues, Works Flawlessly------This statement is Total BS.

I found this out for myself when I was intent on getting the A7iii. There is sluggish performance issues

No One from Sony land would tell you this, in fact the opposite of this, until people that really considered the change found our for themselves. Then they started to back track on the statements...... Look I have Nothing against Sony. But I want accurate information put on the net v/s trying to convince everyone to get a Sony from the fan Boys who wont tell you the whole truth.

The Sony sensor changed the game with sensor performance- Period. 12800 ISO became the new minimum standard for professional photographers. This is Sony's legacy.

This EOS-R will now be the camera for canon shooters to consider a change in the technology. I am 100% convinced that Canon will introduce a body aimed at the pro market with dual cards. At that point, Sony will have to stand on its own because there will be little incentive for a canon shooter to make a change to Sony

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,463 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Oct 01, 2018 09:18 |  #1603

Charlie wrote in post #18719674 (external link)

That was my commnet as well

shoot it at F/2.8 and start to compare. Thats how you find out

Mike
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,463 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Oct 01, 2018 09:23 |  #1604

mdvaden wrote in post #18719696 (external link)
At f/2.8 to f/3.2 I'm still getting good hair and lash detail. Enough for 20 x 30 prints which I don't print often. This is 100% crop from the same Tamron 70-200mm set to 134mm and 1/160th sec. for a wobbling subject. I'm still seeing good detail wide open in the hair blowing around. At 134mm from close distance, the DOF should be about 4 in. to 6 in. from where I was standing about 15 to 20 feet away. No sharpening.

It's comparable to what rogue guinea pig shared above, but I suspect they framed tighter with a DOF barely an inch deep because their shot reminds me of my 85mm 1.2 DOF when I'm standing 6 feet from someone shooting 1.2 or 1.4

I'm looking forward to see what all 3rd party lenses work with the EOS R once its released and others by the hundreds start experimenting. Actually, I'm considering getting the Canon 70-200mm 2.8 in addition to have two lenses. But I probably should wait to see if an RF versiion is released and what it costs before choosing.
thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=187​19696&i=i222216980

Noce image

Im just the opposite from both of you. I am going to get the new 70-200 F/4. Its sharper that the F/2.8 and we have the new sensors. I dont care where ISO lands anymore. When Im at 200MM there is little compression differences BY the F/2.8 and the F/4....check that out for yourself. Lighter is a better way to go. The F/2.8 is vey heavy for all day use

Mike
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

sploo
premature adulation
2,400 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011

Oct 01, 2018 10:09 |  #1605

umphotography wrote in post #18719908 (external link)
My comments was directed at all the false information put out on the net by Sony shooters about camera performance

I was constantly hearing from all the Sony fan boys on the national teaching circuits ( WPPI and PPA ) that the advantage of Sony was that you can use any lens on the bodies with a megabones or Sigma adapter with no performance issues, Works Flawlessly------This statement is Total BS.

I found this out for myself when I was intent on getting the A7iii. There is sluggish performance issues

No One from Sony land would tell you this, in fact the opposite of this, until people that really considered the change found our for themselves. Then they started to back track on the statements...... Look I have Nothing against Sony. But I want accurate information put on the net v/s trying to convince everyone to get a Sony from the fan Boys who wont tell you the whole truth.

The Sony sensor changed the game with sensor performance- Period. 12800 ISO became the new minimum standard for professional photographers. This is Sony's legacy.

This EOS-R will now be the camera for canon shooters to consider a change in the technology. I am 100% convinced that Canon will introduce a body aimed at the pro market with dual cards. At that point, Sony will have to stand on its own because there will be little incentive for a canon shooter to make a change to Sony

To be fair, Canon still lags Sony on the sensor side (especially for low ISO DR). A landscape shooter would still benefit from the switch - though I do understand there are some issues with using the Canon ultrawides on the Sony bodies. The R does also lag behind in terms of other features; such as missing IBIS and non-cropped 4K video. For any sort of action shooting, sure, an R (with R or EF lenses) should be a much better choice than the Sony with adapted glass.

Camera, some lenses, too little time, too little talent

sponsored links

113,057 views & 1,660 likes for this thread
EOS-R - It's out. Thoughts?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.