Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Macro 
Thread started 18 Jun 2018 (Monday) 15:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Post your BUG shots!

Spencerphoto
335 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Sep 2018

Oct 01, 2018 04:43 |  #1111

A beautifully-marked Tent Spider which took up residence beside our front door.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

5D3, 7D2, EF 16-35 f/2.8L, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF 70-200 f/2.8L II, EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF 1.4x III, Sigma 150mm macro, Lumix LX100 plus a cupboard full of bags, tripods, flashes & stuff.

sponsored links
Archibald
THREAD ­ STARTER
You must be quackers!
7,703 posts
Gallery: 317 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Oct 01, 2018 09:48 |  #1112

Spencerphoto wrote in post #18719749 (external link)
Newly-hatched Lacewing larvae.

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Spencerphoto in
./showthread.php?p=187​19749&i=i64805967
forum: Macro

Fascinating. I had to look at this image for quite a while, and I'm still not sure I've figured it out. It looks like a necklace. Quite amazing.

Those lacewings look real hungry.

Sony RX10 IV, Canon 7D2, Canon 77D, assorted Canon lenses
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

Archibald
THREAD ­ STARTER
You must be quackers!
7,703 posts
Joined May 2008

Oct 01, 2018 09:52 |  #1113

Spencerphoto wrote in post #18719806 (external link)
A beautifully-marked Tent Spider which took up residence beside our front door.

thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=187​19806&i=i143753559

thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=187​19806&i=i73404713

Nice sharp pics of that colorful spider.

I've heard great things about that Sigma 150mm.

C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

Spencerphoto
335 posts
Joined Sep 2018

Oct 01, 2018 15:53 as a reply to  @ Archibald's post |  #1114

The Lacewing lays its eggs in a circle, each egg attached to a surface by a long, stiff thread which presumably is designed to keep them away from predators. Wander around my garden and you will spot these little clusters all over the place. They seem to prefer hard surfaces, such as garden furniture and, as in this case, under the eaves of houses.

I like how something as fragile and dainty as a Lacewing is first born as a terrifying pair of jaws with tiny legs attached :-)

5D3, 7D2, EF 16-35 f/2.8L, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF 70-200 f/2.8L II, EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF 1.4x III, Sigma 150mm macro, Lumix LX100 plus a cupboard full of bags, tripods, flashes & stuff.

Spencerphoto
335 posts
Joined Sep 2018

Oct 01, 2018 15:55 as a reply to  @ Archibald's post |  #1115

Thanks. I like the Siggy a lot. TBH, I bought it because it was available at a good price, in a long focal length. Macro is just a bit of fun for me, so I didn't want to spend too much, and the longer focal length means I don't have to get too close. As you know, the further away you can get the shot the better, to avoid spooking the subject.

Archibald
THREAD ­ STARTER
You must be quackers!
7,703 posts
Joined May 2008

Oct 01, 2018 16:37 |  #1116

Spencerphoto wrote in post #18720216 (external link)
The Lacewing lays its eggs in a circle, each egg attached to a surface by a long, stiff thread which presumably is designed to keep them away from predators. Wander around my garden and you will spot these little clusters all over the place. They seem to prefer hard surfaces, such as garden furniture and, as in this case, under the eaves of houses.

We have lacewings here too, so I'll have to keep my eyes out for rings like this. This assumes they do the same here as in Oz.

I like how something as fragile and dainty as a Lacewing is first born as a terrifying pair of jaws with tiny legs attached :-)

Right, that's what I thought too.

Lots of surprises in the tiny world of bugs.

C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

Archibald
THREAD ­ STARTER
You must be quackers!
7,703 posts
Joined May 2008

Oct 01, 2018 16:45 |  #1117

Spencerphoto wrote in post #18720217 (external link)
Thanks. I like the Siggy a lot. TBH, I bought it because it was available at a good price, in a long focal length. Macro is just a bit of fun for me, so I didn't want to spend too much, and the longer focal length means I don't have to get too close. As you know, the further away you can get the shot the better, to avoid spooking the subject.

I know a guy who used the Sigma 180mm and loved it. Of course most all macro lenses are sharp, especially since we usually stop down to f/11 for DOF, and that is well into diffraction territory. So perhaps we are limited by diffraction and not by the optical qualities of the glass.

As far as distance is concerned, sometimes you just have to maintain a good distance, as some critters will go under the leaf or fly away. On the other hand, there is a tradeoff with being able to deliver soft on-camera flash. As you get farther away, the light gets harsher, unless you increase the size of the diffuser proportionally, and big diffusers are a disadvantage.

C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

Spencerphoto
335 posts
Joined Sep 2018
Post edited 4 months ago by Spencerphoto.

Oct 01, 2018 16:51 as a reply to  @ Archibald's post |  #1118

"As far as distance is concerned, sometimes you just have to maintain a good distance, as some critters will go under the leaf or fly away. On the other hand, there is a tradeoff with being able to deliver soft on-camera flash. As you get farther away, the light gets harsher, unless you increase the size of the diffuser proportionally, and big diffusers are a disadvantage."

I didn't know that. Cheers! :-)

I bought a Yongnuo macro ring flash to experiment with, on the basis that, if I found it useful, I would buy a decent brand, e.g. Canon. Turned out it works just fine and so I haven't felt the need to invest in a decent one. I need to spend more time using flash however, because even when I play with the L/R ratio, I find the results a bit 'flat'. I am not a fan of flash in any situation (partly because I'm not very good at using them) and much prefer to reproduce, as far as possible, the ambient lighting.

Archibald
THREAD ­ STARTER
You must be quackers!
7,703 posts
Joined May 2008

Oct 01, 2018 22:33 |  #1119

Spencerphoto wrote in post #18720250 (external link)
"As far as distance is concerned, sometimes you just have to maintain a good distance, as some critters will go under the leaf or fly away. On the other hand, there is a tradeoff with being able to deliver soft on-camera flash. As you get farther away, the light gets harsher, unless you increase the size of the diffuser proportionally, and big diffusers are a disadvantage."

I didn't know that. Cheers! :-)

I bought a Yongnuo macro ring flash to experiment with, on the basis that, if I found it useful, I would buy a decent brand, e.g. Canon. Turned out it works just fine and so I haven't felt the need to invest in a decent one. I need to spend more time using flash however, because even when I play with the L/R ratio, I find the results a bit 'flat'. I am not a fan of flash in any situation (partly because I'm not very good at using them) and much prefer to reproduce, as far as possible, the ambient lighting.

If you are interested in lighting for macro subjects, it might be worthwhile for you to read some of the Strobist articles on the web. There are a series of them. To summarize, the lesson is that a soft light has to be big and close to the subject. It needs to look big to the subject, and that is achieved by size and closeness. You can read more here:
http://strobist.blogsp​ot.com …it-21-apparent-light.html (external link)

Now a ring light is a bit different, because it is not a uniform light source as umbrellas and softboxes are. So it has unique lighting properties. It is interesting that you are experimenting with it and we would love to know your results and conclusions.

C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

Spencerphoto
335 posts
Joined Sep 2018
Post edited 4 months ago by Spencerphoto. (2 edits in all)

Oct 01, 2018 22:51 as a reply to  @ Archibald's post |  #1120

Thanks for the tip. For the kind of 'safari style' shooting I enjoy, daylight and/or the macro flash are pretty much all I can use without scaring the subject away. The principal advantage of the flash, as I see it, is the speed with which it can be deployed (assuming you already have it fitted). I also find that, sometimes at least, a very short burst doesn't scare the subject away, as though they either don't see it or don't recognise it as a threat. Other times, 'poof!' they're outta there!

Of course the species you're shooting also comes into play, with some being far more skittish and/or mobile than others.

I can't find the photo at the moment, but I recall spending a good thirty minutes stalking a lovely little Lynx Spider through a shrub. I had a particular shot in mind but the talentljust wouldn't cooperate. Then, just before my creaky old back gave up, I managed to herd him into place and got him as he re-emerged from behind some leaves.

I love that sort of thing - photography that feels a bit like 'hunting'.

I admire the lengths some people go to in the studio, shooting bugs with very fancy lighting and using focus stacking, but to be frank, I can't be arsed with all that. I don't have the right sort of patience and attention to detail.

Archibald
THREAD ­ STARTER
You must be quackers!
7,703 posts
Joined May 2008

Oct 02, 2018 00:52 |  #1121

Ichneumon wasp, maybe Amblyteles. Taken in August.

HOSTED PHOTO

C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

Archibald
THREAD ­ STARTER
You must be quackers!
7,703 posts
Joined May 2008

Oct 02, 2018 00:59 |  #1122

A bee sampling some nectar. Calgary, August 2018.

HOSTED PHOTO

C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

Spencerphoto
335 posts
Joined Sep 2018

Oct 02, 2018 05:11 |  #1123

Found it at last. That'll teach me to buy a new pooter.

I had to stalk this little fella for ages to get the shot I wanted. Apparently, the Lynx Spider has quite a painful bite for its size.

Boo!

HOSTED PHOTO

S.R.M.
Goldmember
1,480 posts
Gallery: 138 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 02, 2018 05:18 |  #1124

Spencerphoto wrote in post #18720599 (external link)
Found it at last. That'll teach me to buy a new pooter.

I had to stalk this little fella for ages to get the shot I wanted. Apparently, the Lynx Spider has quite a painful bite for its size.

Boo!

thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=187​20599&i=i237785457

Nice shot! And good to see another Brisbane macro shooter here! :)

Stephen
---------------
6D; EF 16-35 f/4L IS USM; EF 24mm f/2.8 IS USM; EF 35mm f/2; EF 50mm f/1.8 II; EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM; EF 70-200 f/4L USM; Samyang 14mm f/2.8

flickr (external link) / flickriver (external link)

Lester ­ Wareham
27,403 posts
Gallery: 2809 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2005

Oct 02, 2018 06:51 |  #1125

Archibald wrote in post #18717528 (external link)
Leafhopper closeup, taken in Belize last March. Those roundish objects to the side would appear to be its "elbows". The second photo shows the whole bug.

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Archibald in
./showthread.php?p=187​17528&i=i189004225

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Archibald in
./showthread.php?p=187​17528&i=i240829233

(I'm cleaning my hard drive and finding some lost treasure.)

Wow that first one is really close.

My Photography Home Page (external link) RSS Feed (external link)
Gear List
FAQ on UV and Clear Protective Filters
Macrophotography by LordV

sponsored links

62,288 views & 4,377 likes for this thread
Post your BUG shots!
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Macro 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.