Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 02 Oct 2018 (Tuesday) 08:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Rent a camera when you only have one for a week long trip?

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
35,895 posts
Gallery: 141 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Oct 02, 2018 18:58 |  #16

My usual travel kit.

IMAGE: http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/airfrogusmc/Cameras/L1009858_zpseb4z8rl2.jpg

sponsored links
samueli
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,011 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Feb 2009
Post edited 4 months ago by samueli. (4 edits in all)

Oct 02, 2018 19:37 as a reply to  @ airfrogusmc's post |  #17

Phhtt. I have a camera backpack for mostly water and other sundries for hiking, then my thinktank belt and shoulder harness for: camera bag, lens bag, lens bag. It's all relatively comfortable even if a bit bulky. If any hiking turns into any degree of scramble, it becomes less enjoyable with the belt bags filled with lenses, simply because I take up more space and my arms are a bit away from my body than usual. Not to mention tripod is in one hand or another. The 70-200 is the worst; I'd still love to leave it behind, but I always end up using it.

It's too late to cancel my rental. Kinda makes me want to puke a bit, since the chance of using it probably less than 1%. All these decisions, logistics and extraneous expenses is the reason I travel only once every few years. In the early stage it's sort of exciting to think of jumping on a plane for photography, but sheesh; so much stuff.

Mike
ugly when I'm sober
15,397 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2006
Post edited 4 months ago by Mike.

Oct 03, 2018 04:16 |  #18

samueli wrote in post #18721057 (external link)
It's too late to cancel my rental. Kinda makes me want to puke a bit, since the chance of using it probably less than 1%.

You're renting a 5DIV - use it 100%! It is a great camera with a great sensor.

samueli wrote in post #18720845 (external link)
Don't even get me worked up on cards.

Dual slots on the 5DIV - I shoot Raw on the CF and JPEG on the SD, belt and braces right there.

airfrogusmc wrote in post #18721044 (external link)
My usual travel kit.

QUOTED IMAGE

That's a lovely looking bit of kit. What is it?

www.mikegreenphotograp​hy.co.uk (external link)
Gear
UK South Easterners
flickr (external link) Insta1 (external link) Insta2 (external link)

A closed mouth gathers no foot.

airfrogusmc
35,895 posts
Joined May 2007

Oct 03, 2018 13:45 |  #19

Mike wrote in post #18721299 (external link)

Dual slots on the 5DIV - I shoot Raw on the CF and JPEG on the SD, belt and braces right there.

Thanks,

It is a Leica M Monochrom and a 35mm 1.4 Summilux FLE Asph.

ksbal
Goldmember
2,743 posts
Gallery: 374 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Sep 2010
Post edited 4 months ago by ksbal.

Oct 03, 2018 15:48 |  #20

buy a used older model that is solid for $250 instead, and then sell it for the same .. easy peasy (50D's going that for canon, I'm sure nikon has equivilents, and sony's aren't far behind)

edited... Oops.. didn't see you had it rented already.. but you are going to fall in love with that camera!

Godox/Flashpoint r2 system, plus some canon stuff.

ksbal
Goldmember
2,743 posts
Gallery: 374 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Sep 2010

Oct 03, 2018 15:49 as a reply to  @ post 18720834 |  #21

might try the alcohol fix on that top wheel.. seems like that might need a good clean out and it will work again.. if my old tired brain is remembering right...

Godox/Flashpoint r2 system, plus some canon stuff.

MaxImage
57 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 03, 2018 17:25 |  #22

Piece of mind when travelling can be a powerful thing and it has the ability to save a lot of time.

Case in point: I packed my gear bag to take on an 8-hour international flight. Everything was checked and tested except the body. Why? Because I had just finished using the body a few days ago. To save space and weight, I left the backup body at home. My bag was already pushing 25-30 lbs. While at the airport waiting for my flight, something told me to test the body out. I put in a battery, a card and attached a lens. Nothing. The camera wouldn't turn on. So I tried a second battery, a different card, and again, nothing. My body was completely dead. Luckily I had relatives that were flying to meet me in two days and they were able to bring a backup body, but had I discovered that the body was dead after I got on the plane, I wouldn't have been able to reach out to my family members and coordinate in time to have them bring the backup, and purchasing a backup would have been a very costly expense, as there were no rental houses that I was aware of. At the time, I had a point-and-shoot with me, but it wouldn't have been the same. So nowadays, I always travel with a backup when travelling overseas.

So what happened to the original? Upon return, sent it in for service and the entire board was dead. To this day, I'm still not sure how it happened, but Murphy's Law is alive and well.

samueli
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,011 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 03, 2018 17:41 |  #23

MaxImage wrote in post #18721725 (external link)
Piece of mind when travelling can be a powerful thing and it has the ability to save a lot of time.

Case in point: I packed my gear bag to take on an 8-hour international flight. Everything was checked and tested except the body. Why? Because I had just finished using the body a few days ago. To save space and weight, I left the backup body at home. My bag was already pushing 25-30 lbs. While at the airport waiting for my flight, something told me to test the body out. I put in a battery, a card and attached a lens. Nothing. The camera wouldn't turn on. So I tried a second battery, a different card, and again, nothing. My body was completely dead. Luckily I had relatives that were flying to meet me in two days and they were able to bring a backup body, but had I discovered that the body was dead after I got on the plane, I wouldn't have been able to reach out to my family members and coordinate in time to have them bring the backup, and purchasing a backup would have been a very costly expense, as there were no rental houses that I was aware of. At the time, I had a point-and-shoot with me, but it wouldn't have been the same. So nowadays, I always travel with a backup when travelling overseas.

So what happened to the original? Upon return, sent it in for service and the entire board was dead. To this day, I'm still not sure how it happened, but Murphy's Law is alive and well.

This is the story that validates my $300 rental. Thank you. Plus, I do get the play with the 5DIV.

samueli
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,011 posts
Joined Feb 2009
Post edited 4 months ago by samueli.

Oct 03, 2018 17:42 |  #24

ksbal wrote in post #18721679 (external link)
might try the alcohol fix on that top wheel.. seems like that might need a good clean out and it will work again.. if my old tired brain is remembering right...

You're brain is not so old and tired when you're recommending simple first step of "try cleaning it". Thank you for suggesting it!

samueli
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,011 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 03, 2018 17:44 |  #25

ksbal wrote in post #18721677 (external link)
buy a used older model that is solid for $250 instead, and then sell it for the same .. easy peasy (50D's going that for canon, I'm sure nikon has equivilents, and sony's aren't far behind)

edited... Oops.. didn't see you had it rented already.. but you are going to fall in love with that camera!

You're probably right.

samueli
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,011 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 03, 2018 17:46 |  #26

Mike wrote in post #18721299 (external link)

airfrogusmc wrote in post #18721044 (external link)
My usual travel kit.

QUOTED IMAGE

Yes, that is a nice kit. What's nicer about it, is that you are focused in your travel photography style; while I'm all over the board, and need to bring every last drop of equipment to ensure I make a few good photos.

airfrogusmc
35,895 posts
Joined May 2007

Oct 03, 2018 19:01 |  #27

samueli wrote in post #18721742 (external link)
Yes, that is a nice kit. What's nicer about it, is that you are focused in your travel photography style; while I'm all over the board, and need to bring every last drop of equipment to ensure I make a few good photos.

It would probably surprise you in how much different the shooting experience is and thus how different your work will look. I am a firm believer in you don't miss shots you just learn to see and photograph different shots.

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,614 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Post edited 4 months ago by davesrose.

Oct 03, 2018 19:10 |  #28

Once my 5D failed when I was on a trip. I was in an museum aircraft carrier when a bead of sweat must have gotten underneath the LCD. The whole screen went blank and I got error messages (and even though it was new, I had to pay for a new circuit board because it was deemed water damage). When the 5D died, there was an Office Depot near by: I just bought a Rebel with kit lens and still got plenty of nice photos during the rest of the trip. Luckily, I think the newer 5D models have more weather sealing and are more impervious to sweat.

Canon 5D mk IV
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

joeseph
"smells like turd"
9,790 posts
Gallery: 95 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Oct 04, 2018 03:31 |  #29

samueli wrote in post #18720834 (external link)
I have a 50D, but the top wheel is completely dead - after I bought new batteries for it of course.

when you say "dead", is it slipping or just not responding?

see: https://martybugs.net …Dial-On-A-Canon-DSLR.html (external link)

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

sponsored links

2,901 views & 6 likes for this thread
Rent a camera when you only have one for a week long trip?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.