Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 03 Oct 2018 (Wednesday) 00:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

RAM upgrade from 16GB to 24?

ncjohn
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 03, 2018 00:22 |  #1

I have a Dell Optiplex 9010MT with 4 RAM slots. Right now I have 4x4, so 16GB. I have access to two 8GB sticks and they're the right type. I was thinking of putting in the two 8s and leaving two of the 2s for a total of 24 but I don't know the right way to do it: 8-8-4-4 or 8-4-8-4? I've read of people actually slowing their computers down by putting the RAM sticks in the wrong order.
Can anyone help me with this?

sponsored links
mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,315 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2009
Post edited 10 months ago by mike_d. (3 edits in all)

Oct 03, 2018 00:30 |  #2

ncjohn wrote in post #18721236 (external link)
I have a Dell Optiplex 9010MT with 4 RAM slots. Right now I have 4x4, so 16GB. I have access to two 8GB sticks and they're the right type. I was thinking of putting in the two 8s and leaving two of the 2s for a total of 24 but I don't know the right way to do it: 8-8-4-4 or 8-4-8-4? I've read of people actually slowing their computers down by putting the RAM sticks in the wrong order.
Can anyone help me with this?

The slots are usually color coded. For example, two white and two black. Each color is a separate bank. Make the memory match within each bank. 8's in one bank, 4's in the other.

ncjohn
THREAD ­ STARTER
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 03, 2018 00:33 as a reply to  @ mike_d's post |  #3

Okay, thanks.

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,315 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 03, 2018 00:37 as a reply to  @ ncjohn's post |  #4

Also, you could remove two DIMMs and to into the BIOS Setup. There should be a section about the memory that shows which slots/banks are populated. So you can verify that both DIMMs are in the same bank.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,066 posts
Joined May 2003
Post edited 10 months ago by John from PA.

Oct 03, 2018 08:14 |  #5

Are you running a 64-bit OS? If not, your efforts might now help at all.

In addition Dell laptops can be a bit fussy about the brand of RAM. So if you have two chips of brand X and two of brand Y, go by the color of the retention clips. I forget the colors, but using red and black as an example, put both brand X in black and both brand Y in the red.

There is a good tech manual at https://www.dell.com …0_technical_gui​debook.pdf (external link).

ncjohn
THREAD ­ STARTER
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 03, 2018 11:09 as a reply to  @ John from PA's post |  #6

The tech manual is pretty good in some ways, not so much in others. But I found this. https://www.intel.com …kits.html?wapkw​=flex#flex (external link)

Thanks for the reply.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,702 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 03, 2018 12:04 |  #7

John from PA wrote in post #18721399 (external link)
Are you running a 64-bit OS? If not, your efforts might now help at all.

Right.

Operating System Maximum Memory (RAM)
Windows 10 Home 64-Bit 128GB
Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit 4GB

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

ncjohn
THREAD ­ STARTER
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 03, 2018 12:22 |  #8

I think that regardless what version of Windows you have (7,8,10) the max RAM with a 32-bit version is 4 GB.
I'm running 64-bit Windows 8.1 and, as I said, right now I have 16GB; just looking for a little bit more.:-)

Wilt
41,702 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 03, 2018 12:32 as a reply to  @ ncjohn's post |  #9

The real unknown is what applications you wish to run (simultaneously in a machine supporting multiple processes) AND if any of these programs are even CAPABLE of using larger space!
For example, if the application is a 32-bit application, even running on a 64-bit O/S does NOT expand its capability of going past the 4GB limit...the application cannot manage more than 4GB of memory address space.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

ncjohn
THREAD ­ STARTER
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 03, 2018 12:58 |  #10

Wilt wrote in post #18721529 (external link)
The real unknown is what applications you wish to run (simultaneously in a machine supporting multiple processes) AND if any of these programs are even CAPABLE of using larger space!
For example, if the application is a 32-bit application, even running on a 64-bit O/S does NOT expand its capability of going past the 4GB limit...the application cannot manage more than 4GB of memory address space.

I see. Well, I actually run a lot of programs at the same time, so many that it's not really worth the trouble to see whether they're 32 or 64-bit, especially since I'm not actually trying to fix a problem; I just want to see if adding the RAM will make a noticeable difference. In addition to Thunderbird and Chrome, which are open all the time, I typically run Affinity Photo simultaneously with things like NIK, Topaz Studio, PS Elements, NeatImage, Irfanview, FastStone, Portrait Pro, ON1, Picture Window Pro, PSP... really anything that will give me the looks I'm after. So far no problems with having as many things open at one time as I want (knock on wood) so I wonder if increasing the RAM is even worthwhile, but since I have it anyway I'll just see if I notice a difference with it.
But thanks for the reminder.

Wilt
41,702 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 10 months ago by Wilt.

Oct 03, 2018 13:02 as a reply to  @ ncjohn's post |  #11

One way of looking at the issue is 'RAM is so relatively cheap that you might as well (within reason) add more RAM and see if it does you any good at all'!
Just don't automatically assume 'more RAM is better, and it always does a lot of good'.

ncjohn
THREAD ­ STARTER
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 03, 2018 18:16 as a reply to  @ Wilt's post |  #12

Right. That's why I say I'll just see if I notice a difference.
I don't know what that difference might be, since I don't have any problems right now, but I was pleasantly surprised when I went from 8GB to 16, so maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised again.

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,315 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 03, 2018 18:19 |  #13

ncjohn wrote in post #18721756 (external link)
I don't know what that difference might be, since I don't have any problems right now, but I was pleasantly surprised when I went from 8GB to 16, so maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised again.

8 to 16 is a huge jump, especially with photo editing software. Adding RAM typically follows the law of diminishing marginal returns though. I have 16 now and Lightroom seems to want it all since I upgraded. My next PC will definitely have 32.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,066 posts
Joined May 2003
Post edited 10 months ago by John from PA.

Oct 03, 2018 18:48 |  #14

ncjohn wrote in post #18721756 (external link)

What are you using for a hard drive in the Dell Optiplex 9010MT? "Spinning platter" HDD or SSD? Original specs say 500 GB 7200 RPM drive. You are likely at the point where a SSD will give you far more of a performance boost than more RAM.

ncjohn
THREAD ­ STARTER
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 03, 2018 19:36 as a reply to  @ John from PA's post |  #15

The C drive is on a 1TB 7200 HDD. I'd love to have an SSD but:

-Big ones are still pretty pricey, especially given that there's no problem I'm trying to fix.
-Getting a small one just for the OS and programs would necessitate a LOT of shuffling of the other stuff that's on that HDD and the other HDDs.

This addition of 8GB is just to see if I can eke a little more performance out of a machine that's already doing better than anything I've ever had before.

sponsored links

2,508 views & 2 likes for this thread
RAM upgrade from 16GB to 24?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.