Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 03 Oct 2018 (Wednesday) 00:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

RAM upgrade from 16GB to 24?

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,056 posts
Joined May 2003

Oct 03, 2018 19:40 |  #16

ncjohn wrote in post #18721804 (external link)
The C drive is on a 1TB 7200 HDD. I'd love to have an SSD but:

-Big ones are still pretty pricey, especially given that there's no problem I'm trying to fix.
-Getting a small one just for the OS and programs would necessitate a LOT of shuffling of the other stuff that's on that HDD and the other HDDs.

This addition of 8GB is just to see if I can eke a little more performance out of a machine that's already doing better than anything I've ever had before.

True on the price, but they continue to drop. Right now the 1TB Samsung can be had for $168.

sponsored links
Jethr0
Goldmember
1,050 posts
Gallery: 91 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Oct 03, 2018 19:43 |  #17

The adobe stuff will use more ram if you add it in there.

You can increase performance on the hard drive front with a 1TB hybrid drive.

www.jefflowe.ca (external link)
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jeff​lowe.ca (external link)

ncjohn
THREAD ­ STARTER
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 03, 2018 20:51 |  #18

Jethr0 wrote in post #18721808 (external link)
The adobe stuff will use more ram if you add it in there.

I won't. :-D

You can increase performance on the hard drive front with a 1TB hybrid drive.

Now there's an interesting idea. I've heard of them but never paid them any mind. I'll look into that. Thanks

Jethr0
Goldmember
1,050 posts
Gallery: 91 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Oct 04, 2018 03:45 as a reply to  @ ncjohn's post |  #19

The one I ended up with has a ~30 gig flash memory section where it puts the most used files (ie OS). Not as fast as a SSD, but does much Better on boot up than a traditional spiny drive.

www.jefflowe.ca (external link)
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jeff​lowe.ca (external link)

Moppie
14,838 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Oct 05, 2018 20:05 |  #20

ncjohn wrote in post #18721804 (external link)
The C drive is on a 1TB 7200 HDD. I'd love to have an SSD but:

-Big ones are still pretty pricey, especially given that there's no problem I'm trying to fix.
-Getting a small one just for the OS and programs would necessitate a LOT of shuffling of the other stuff that's on that HDD and the other HDDs.

This addition of 8GB is just to see if I can eke a little more performance out of a machine that's already doing better than anything I've ever had before.

There is nothing wrong with to much ram, but a couple of things to consider:
Dell use bespoke motherboards, some of them have limited options for upgrades, your exact model may, or may not work with more than 16GB of ram, or with mis-matched capacities in each slot.
But, try it and if it works then awesome.

If your running everything from spinning discs then they are the biggest bottle neck in the system and the CPU won't be able to perform to it's full potential. You saw big gains when you went from 8-16GB of ram because Windows would have used the extra capacity to do things in ram it had been doing on the disc (caching etc). Adding more ram might allow it to more of that, but if you want a real and significantly noticeable gain in performance you need to look at putting the operating system, programs and any catalog, library, cache and scratch they use on an SSD.
Even a cheap used 240GB SSD would make a huge difference and actually allow the CPU to run at it's full potential.

flickr (external link)

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?

Archibald
You must be quackers!
8,729 posts
Gallery: 393 photos
Joined May 2008

Oct 05, 2018 20:13 |  #21

Moppie wrote in post #18723168 (external link)
There is nothing wrong with to much ram, but a couple of things to consider:
Dell use bespoke motherboards, some of them have limited options for upgrades, your exact model may, or may not work with more than 16GB of ram, or with mis-matched capacities in each slot.
But, try it and if it works then awesome.

If your running everything from spinning discs then they are the biggest bottle neck in the system and the CPU won't be able to perform to it's full potential. You saw big gains when you went from 8-16GB of ram because Windows would have used the extra capacity to do things in ram it had been doing on the disc (caching etc). Adding more ram might allow it to more of that, but if you want a real and significantly noticeable gain in performance you need to look at putting the operating system, programs and any catalog, library, cache and scratch they use on an SSD.
Even a cheap used 240GB SSD would make a huge difference and actually allow the CPU to run at it's full potential.

I tried it and it made no noticeable difference. That was with LR 5.7.

Sony RX10 IV, Canon 7D2, Canon 77D, assorted Canon lenses
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,056 posts
Joined May 2003

Oct 06, 2018 08:59 |  #22

Archibald wrote in post #18723172 (external link)
I tried it and it made no noticeable difference. That was with LR 5.7.

Good point!

In this case the OP has stated he already has access to (2) 8GB RAM chips so if they come at minimal cost then the OP should certainly give them a try. But all too often people increase RAM on the basis of the "old" adage "more is better" and that may not be the case. I would suggest the use of something like the Wise System Monitor to monitor RAM usage to really determine the usage of the existing RAM while doing your normal workflow. As others have pointed out, there is a point of diminishing returns so going from 16 GB to 32 GB might not even yield a perceived difference. Personally, if I was approaching a cost of $75 for the RAM chips, I would consider putting the money into an improved drive (SSD) and then using the old drive in the same machine for archiving, backups, etc.

The Wise System Monitor can be found at https://www.wisecleane​r.com/wise-system-monitor.html (external link). Other utilities that can do similar monitoring of RAM are discussed at https://windowsreport.​com …tem-resources-windows-10/ (external link). In spite of the title of the page, most of the utilities discussed can be used on older versions of Windows.

Archibald
You must be quackers!
8,729 posts
Joined May 2008

Oct 06, 2018 10:01 |  #23

Just to clarify, I was reacting to the last line in Moppie's post. I moved the LR 5.7 catalog and preview files as well as the CR2 files I was working with to my SSD and noticed no difference.

C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

ncjohn
THREAD ­ STARTER
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 06, 2018 14:34 |  #24

I have installed the new RAM (so I'm up to 24GB) and I have to say I can't really see a difference. Passmark benchmark consistently shows a performance increase but in practical use I really don't see it. So now I know.

As far as the Wise monitor, I've had a system monitor (CPU, RAM, and swap only) going for a while and RAM usage has generally been running around 50% if I go a while between restarting the pc. Now it's hanging around 20-25%. So that would seem to jibe with the increased RAM. But I can't see that it's affected my use of the machine.

Moppie
14,838 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Sep 2004
Post edited 10 months ago by Moppie.

Oct 06, 2018 16:35 |  #25

Archibald wrote in post #18723418 (external link)
Just to clarify, I was reacting to the last line in Moppie's post. I moved the LR 5.7 catalog and preview files as well as the CR2 files I was working with to my SSD and noticed no difference.

What processor, how much ram, how big a catalog and what size images?
I've done it several times, on laptops and work stations, and assuming no other bottle necks then moving the LR catalog and previews to an SSD has made a significant difference in performance. That's been on multiple versions of LR, going back before CC.

ncjohn wrote in post #18723574 (external link)
I have installed the new RAM (so I'm up to 24GB) and I have to say I can't really see a difference. Passmark benchmark consistently shows a performance increase but in practical use I really don't see it. So now I know.

As far as the Wise monitor, I've had a system monitor (CPU, RAM, and swap only) going for a while and RAM usage has generally been running around 50% if I go a while between restarting the pc. Now it's hanging around 20-25%. So that would seem to jibe with the increased RAM. But I can't see that it's affected my use of the machine.

The Windows system monitor is enough to give you an indication of RAM usage. If it's constantly at or above 50% then adding more could be useful.
It sounds like you were already at an optimum level, or close to it with 16GB of ram, hence moving to 24GB hasn't made any noticeable difference.
Of note, Intel recommends 4GB per core for most high end consumer CPU's. Of course there will be lots of use cases where more is needed, but that works quite well as a rough and general guide.
Time for an SSD :)

flickr (external link)

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?

Archibald
You must be quackers!
8,729 posts
Joined May 2008
Post edited 10 months ago by Archibald. (2 edits in all)

Oct 06, 2018 22:19 |  #26

Moppie wrote in post #18723677 (external link)
What processor, how much ram, how big a catalog and what size images?
I've done it several times, on laptops and work stations, and assuming no other bottle necks then moving the LR catalog and previews to an SSD has made a significant difference in performance. That's been on multiple versions of LR, going back before CC.

I ran LR on my SSD in early 2017 for about 3 months on a Win 10 computer from 2014. The box was running an i7-4820K at 3.70 GHz and had 16 GB memory. The catalog had about 40,000 raw files, most from my 7D and 7D2. Most of the pics stayed on the HD; new raws, the ones I was processing, went to the SSD. I noticed no performance difference. After 3 months I moved the catalog and pics back to my external HD, and again noticed no difference.

I found managing a split system like this to be a headache. When the pic folders on the SSD become too big, they have to be moved to the HD. That takes a long time, and carries a risk of losing files unless you check carefully for stragglers. That can be done well but consumes time. A split system can also complicate backups depending on how you do those.

What specific improvements were you noticing? Loading speed? Response when using the brush? Exporting? Something else?

C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

jurgensdigitalmedia
32 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Jan 08, 2019 21:59 |  #27

When i built my new machine i opted for 32GB of RAM. I run quit a bit of stuff that doesnt involve PR & LR but i think it does some good. Still thinkin i might upgrade it to 64GB since im thinking about doing more video stuff. I guarantee you would see a difference in the 2-4-6GB setup but when you're talkin 24-32GB its not as noticeable. Either way, pay up and go big or go home when it comes to RAM!

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,702 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 7 months ago by Wilt. (2 edits in all)

Jan 09, 2019 22:21 |  #28

One caution to talking about max RAM in Windows 10 is the fact that Windows 10 Home 64-bit is LIMITED to a level in which other versions of Windows 10 are not limited!
Windows 10 64-bit is limited to 128GB of RAM, while other versions max out at 2TB. Because of the memory address space limitations for 32-bit Windows 10; that remains at 4 GBs.

The time when more than 8GB of RAM becomes useful and starts paying for itself is when you're running a number of resource-heavy applications simultaneously especially image or video processing (even 4K video), CAD, or 3D modelling.

Lightroom only uses extra RAM when you SET up LR to have higher RAM assigned to things, like Cache size. No setting change, LR will still not use even it if it is there!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Archibald
You must be quackers!
8,729 posts
Joined May 2008

Jan 09, 2019 23:03 |  #29

Wilt wrote in post #18788354 (external link)
One caution to talking about max RAM in Windows 10 is the fact that Windows 10 Home 64-bit is LIMITED to a level in which other versions of Windows 10 are not limited!
Windows 10 64-bit is limited to 128GB of RAM, while other versions max out at 2TB. Because of the memory address space limitations for 32-bit Windows 10; that remains at 4 GBs.

The time when more than 8GB of RAM becomes useful and starts paying for itself is when you're running a number of resource-heavy applications simultaneously especially image or video processing (even 4K video), CAD, or 3D modelling.

Lightroom only uses extra RAM when you SET up LR to have higher RAM assigned to things, like Cache size. No setting change, LR will still not use even it if it is there!

No point buying RAM what won't get used. It will be cheaper next year if you need it later.

So how do I tell LR to use more RAM?

C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,702 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Jan 09, 2019 23:07 |  #30

Archibald wrote in post #18788370 (external link)
No point buying RAM what won't get used. It will be cheaper next year if you need it later.

So how do I tell LR to use more RAM?

In Window machines, in LR you set the Cache in Edit, Preferences, File Handling tab

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

sponsored links

2,491 views & 2 likes for this thread
RAM upgrade from 16GB to 24?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.