Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 04 Oct 2018 (Thursday) 11:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Brief Canon EOS R review

danielyamseng
Goldmember
2,036 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Oct 04, 2018 11:18 |  #1

I had an opportunity to tried out the preproduction version of the camera as I was invited by Canon personally to tried it out. They did not pay me to do free advertising here. What I will mentioned here will be solely on my personal opinion and you should take it with a grain of salt.

Somehow I was not allow to share the preproduction image publicly.

First of all, despite of being a small camera similar like 800D, it felt very solid built. It doesn't feel like a toy or consumer camera. I felt quite comfortable holding it for a long period even with 70-200 f2.8 IS.

The came the control and handling. It will take sometimes to relearn as the control was totally different from 80D/5D/1DX.But the good thing is it's can be heavily customized following your preference. The current 5D/1D has pretty limited customization compared to EOS R.

Despite of the missing joystick and the thumbwheel, this was somewhat replaced by the large LCD touchscreen.

The viewfinder is fantastic. The color rendering is very accurate. It's very comfortable for prolong usage i.e whole day event.

It has a great backward compability with existing L lens i.e the focusing speed and accuracy for 70-200 f2.8 IS is as good as in 5D mark IV body.

Using edge focus point with large aperture lens i.e 50mm F1.2 no longer has hit an misses or the need to do micro adjustment. It's dead spot on.

The only drawback was the battery life. It's not as good as 5D or 1D series. Be prepared to get a bunch of batteries if you're shooting for a long period.

Another thing perhaps was your client might wonder or perhaps might ask you "Are you a pro photographer?" as the camera looked small  :p compare to 5D or 1D. Most of the layman who used to large pro body would wonder if they money are well spent.

As for the high ISO, the whole range is very usable even up to 40000, it still can reproduce the color accurately. But I don't think it's good enough to print it for your client.

Low light focusing is amazing, it's a lot better than 5D mark IV!

I think side aside the specification and the miniscule scale of the camera, the whole package was a better camera than 5D mark IV.

Chet
my rates fluctuate
43,156 posts
Gallery: 130 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 04, 2018 11:45 |  #2

So would you purchase revision 1 of this camera.

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

mcoren
624 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Mar 2015

Oct 04, 2018 11:47 |  #3

Thanks for posting that info. I’d call it a “preview” rather than a “review” since you were using a preproduction camera. Still, lots of good information.

danielyamseng wrote in post #18722185 (external link)
The only drawback was the battery life. It's not as good as 5D or 1D series. Be prepared to get a bunch of batteries if you're shooting for a long period.

Are you saying this based on the published battery life spec, or did you have it long enough to drain a fully charged battery under your usual shooting conditions?

Mike

Canon EOS 7D Mark II, EOS M5, and EOS 100 (film SLR)
A bunch of Canon lenses and a couple of Sigmas
A backpack, a bicycle, and a pair of hiking boots

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

589 views & 2 likes for this thread
Brief Canon EOS R review
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.