Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 25 Oct 2010 (Monday) 04:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

The OLDER Photographers' thread...

OhLook
insufferably pedantic. I can live with that.
20,809 posts
Gallery: 77 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Sep 24, 2018 11:16 |  #9901

Roy Mathers wrote in post #18714870 (external link)
La reine de Saba :-)

By Gounod.

My neighbor had cataract surgery very recently. She was apprehensive before the event. Now she's delighted with the results. Her distance vision in that eye is more detailed than ever before.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | Comments welcome

sponsored links
Lbsimon
...never exercised in my life
2,685 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Sep 24, 2018 11:55 |  #9902

OhLook wrote in post #18714895 (external link)
By Gounod.

My neighbor had cataract surgery very recently. She was apprehensive before the event. Now she's delighted with the results. Her distance vision in that eye is more detailed than ever before.

Thanks, I travel to France three-four times a year, Gounod is one of my favorite composers, and still make stupid misspellings like that!

I had a cataract surgery in May. Something went wrong, and the doctor put in a wrong new lens. Considering that I need either a cataract surgery on the other eye, or have new prescription for it, it is something that I am really upset about.

Tomorrow is going to be a laser correction for a faulty original surgery.

bubbygator
I can't tell the difference
1,477 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2011
Location: Sarasota, sunlight, butterflies, fish, Gators, and Seminoles

Sep 24, 2018 11:56 |  #9903

My wife had cataract removal plus an experimental lens replacement (for free).
She's a new person ... only wears cheap glasses for very up close work.

Gear List
The avatar is my middle grandson. (the TF can't tell the difference, but the fish is frowning and the kid is grinning)
Sarasota, sunlight, butterflies, fish, Gators, and Seminoles

Lbsimon
2,685 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Sep 24, 2018 13:22 |  #9904

bubbygator wrote in post #18714923 (external link)
My wife had cataract removal plus an experimental lens replacement (for free).
She's a new person ... only wears cheap glasses for very up close work.

So... (thinking), if I understand you correctly, if I wanted a new person for a wife, I should ask mine to have a cataract surgery... Very tempting! :-)

Seriously, this is the result I was promised. Let's see if it will happen.

bubbygator
I can't tell the difference
1,477 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2011
Location: Sarasota, sunlight, butterflies, fish, Gators, and Seminoles

Sep 24, 2018 17:10 as a reply to  @ Lbsimon's post |  #9905

Well, she's not entirely new. I bought 8 pair of cheap glasses for her... she regulary says "Where's my glasses?" ... and I typically say "They're on top of your head."

Gear List
The avatar is my middle grandson. (the TF can't tell the difference, but the fish is frowning and the kid is grinning)
Sarasota, sunlight, butterflies, fish, Gators, and Seminoles

Naturalist
Adrift on a lonely vast sea
5,553 posts
Gallery: 93 photos
Joined May 2007

Sep 24, 2018 17:31 |  #9906

Lbsimon wrote in post #18714980 (external link)
So... (thinking), if I understand you correctly, if I wanted a new person for a wife, I should ask mine to have a cataract surgery... Very tempting! :-)

Seriously, this is the result I was promised. Let's see if it will happen.

Careful - she not like what she sees afterwards. :)

Doug
My Gear List
http://www.douglasbrow​nsr.com (external link)
Entered: 2-16-84 Passed: 5-22-84 Raised: 6-19-84

Jill-of-all-Trades
far from having everything figured out!
16,302 posts
Gallery: 120 photos
Joined Jun 2006

Sep 24, 2018 20:30 |  #9907

Lbsimon wrote in post #18714882 (external link)
My mother tongue is Russian. I am absolutely convinced that expensive eyewear, such as progressive lenses and brand name frames, is the only reason I was able to learn English when I came to live in the States! :-)  :p

So what might I need to be able to learn Russian? :D

I am not good with learning languages. I have spent about 7 weeks in Ukraine (over three trips) and never really managed to pick up more than a handful of words and phrases. Of course, I would probably learn more if I tried one of those 'learn a new language' programs.

Melody

Lbsimon
2,685 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Sep 24, 2018 21:33 |  #9908

Jill-of-all-Trades wrote in post #18715281 (external link)
So what might I need to be able to learn Russian? :D

I am not good with learning languages. I have spent about 7 weeks in Ukraine (over three trips) and never really managed to pick up more than a handful of words and phrases. Of course, I would probably learn more if I tried one of those 'learn a new language' programs.

To learn Russian you need to live like a Russian, e.g., drink a lot of vodka and eat ice cream outdoors when the temps hovers around -20F. :-) ;-)a

This is the Older Photographer's thread. I believe that it is really hard in not impossible to learn a foreign language after the age of 50. I learned English when I moved to the US, but I was just 31. Now I am 68, our three grandsons (3, 3, and 1) live in Paris, and while they understand English very well (the mother is American), they want to speak only French. I tried to learn it, but it was futile. It is frightening, as the wife wants to move to Paris as soon as I retire to be closer to her daughter and grandchildren.

Jill-of-all-Trades
16,302 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Sep 24, 2018 21:40 |  #9909

Lbsimon wrote in post #18715322 (external link)
To learn Russian you need to live like a Russian, e.g., drink a lot of vodka and eat ice cream outdoors when the temps hovers around -20F. :-) ;-)a

This is the Older Photographer's thread. I believe that it is really hard in not impossible to learn a foreign language after the age of 50. I learned English when I moved to the US, but I was just 31. Now I am 68, our three grandsons (3, 3, and 1) live in Paris, and while they understand English very well (the mother is American), they want to speak only French. I tried to learn it, but it was futile. It is frightening, as the wife wants to move to Paris as soon as I retire to be closer to her daughter and grandchildren.

That sounds kind of how a Canadian lives! Only we would drink beer that has been chilled in a snowbank.

I am 37 now. I was 23 the first time I went to Ukraine.

Melody

Lbsimon
2,685 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Sep 24, 2018 21:58 |  #9910

Jill-of-all-Trades wrote in post #18715325 (external link)
That sounds kind of how a Canadian lives! Only we would drink beer that has been chilled in a snowbank.

I am 37 now. I was 23 the first time I went to Ukraine.

So you should know how to drink Ukrainian Horilka! That was the first step. :-)

Jill-of-all-Trades
16,302 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Sep 25, 2018 21:10 |  #9911

Lbsimon wrote in post #18715330 (external link)
So you should know how to drink Ukrainian Horilka! That was the first step. :-)

Never had any when I was there - was with a church group, so it was not really an approved past-time. Next time!!

Melody

joeseph
"smells like turd"
10,976 posts
Gallery: 193 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Sep 27, 2018 04:44 |  #9912

joeseph wrote in post #18713203 (external link)
Has anyone seen my spare battery? damn thing is lost again...

found it, sitting on the desk in front of me - perhaps I should tidy up sometime (but every time I do, I forget where I've put stuff...)

on a more serious note, my Mum now has serious dementia, and is constantly telling me that someone has moved all her stuff into another house, they've even moved the neighbor to a new house.
Sadly it's only a matter of time before the remaining parts of her memory gets erased. :-(

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", and an M5, also an M6 that has had a 720nm filter bolted onto the sensor:
TF posting: here :-)

Sibil
Cream of the Crop
10,415 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Sep 27, 2018 04:54 |  #9913

joeseph wrote in post #18717215 (external link)
Sadly it's only a matter of time ...............

Which is the case for all of us. Enjoy every minute of life. I go out and shoot every chance I get.

Chief_10Beers
Didn't get his vaccinations . . .
487 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Post edited over 2 years ago by Chief_10Beers. (3 edits in all)

Oct 04, 2018 19:19 |  #9914

Any of you old farts work out? I started last June and I lost 44lbs, I went from 254 to 210lbs and my goal is 185. I'm up to running 3 miles a day and lifting weights. I'm on a no fat diet as much as possible but my diet is red meat (cooked in olive oil or pressure cooked), fish, no fat Turkey, Greens in small portions, one hard boiled egg a day and I drink lots of unsweetened Green Tea. I cut out all Breads, Pasta, chips, potatoes, Beer, Cheese and Pork. It was a real pain in the butt at first as the last time I worked out I was 33 (28 years ago) but the more I worked out, the more I wanted to work out but it's still a pain at times.

I got pretty sick almost 4 years ago, had to sell some of my Camera equipment to help pay for my medical expenses. I quit smoking over 3years ago and I had Cataract surgery in both eyes ( nice to see thru the view finder without glasses anymore! ) and now I wanted to lose weight and get Healthy again.

BTY: One of the Items I sold was my 70-200 f/4L Glass, I just re-bought the 70-200 f/4 about 2 weeks ago, glad to have one back!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
I am John Galt
TVC15
Gear List

GibJock
I used to be the Kill Killer
10,140 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined May 2013
Location: From Scotland, living in Gibraltar "A Jock on the Rock"

Oct 05, 2018 00:40 as a reply to  @ Chief_10Beers's post |  #9915

Well done Chief, you’re never too old to get yourself back in shape.

flickr (external link)

sponsored links

1,010,526 views & 178 likes for this thread
The OLDER Photographers' thread...
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.