Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 04 Oct 2018 (Thursday) 18:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Windows 10 update issues - serious issues being experienced

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
8,613 posts
Joined May 2003
Post edited 5 months ago by John from PA.

Oct 04, 2018 18:34 |  #1

I had earlier pointed out some free space issues with the Win 10 October update but now some people are experiencing files being deleted from the drive.

See https://www.zdnet.com …lus-intel-driver-warning/ (external link)

Do a backup, then lock down the PC from updates and await a fix.

sponsored links
mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,244 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 04, 2018 23:29 |  #2

Whoever thought upgrading something as complex as Windows every six months and pushing it on users needs to be beaten.

Severely.

john ­ crossley
Goldmember
2,428 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Oct 05, 2018 02:13 |  #3

mike_d wrote in post #18722567 (external link)
Whoever thought upgrading something as complex as Windows every six months and pushing it on users needs to be beaten.

Severely.

You don't have to upgrade, it's not compulsory.

Football is a very simple game. Twenty-two players chase a ball and Germany always win.

John ­ from ­ PA
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
8,613 posts
Joined May 2003

Oct 05, 2018 04:47 |  #4

john crossley wrote in post #18722620 (external link)

You must have missed this part...

For those who'd rather not be automatically bumped up to the latest Windows 10, ZDNet's Ed Bott has instructions here for taking control of the update.

If you run Windows 10 Pro, the update will likely be pushed down because the default settings provide for automatic downloads. The instruction to avoid the download are at https://www.zdnet.com …o-get-it-how-to-avoid-it/ (external link).

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,244 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 05, 2018 10:27 |  #5

john crossley wrote in post #18722620 (external link)

It is if you're running Home. And people shouldn't have to go out of their way to avoid having their computer FUBARed by Microsoft. I'm still on 1709 because I have Pro and did a secpol edit to make Windows Update in general behave as it did under Win7, but most people don't even know that's an option. I don't like playing Russian roulette with my PC every 6 months. Even if you do avoid the "feature updates", you can only it for 18 months before they stop issuing security updates.

Inspeqtor
Chet,You are a genius
7,210 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Oct 05, 2018 12:57 |  #6

mike_d wrote in post #18722784 (external link)
It is if you're running Home. And people shouldn't have to go out of their way to avoid having their computer FUBARed by Microsoft. I'm still on 1709 because I have Pro and did a secpol edit to make Windows Update in general behave as it did under Win7, but most people don't even know that's an option. I don't like playing Russian roulette with my PC every 6 months. Even if you do avoid the "feature updates", you can only it for 18 months before they stop issuing security updates.

I am running Windows 10 Home... how do I not get this upgrade?

Most of my data is not stored on C but another internal drive in my system.

Charles
Canon EOS 60D Gripped * Canon EOS XSi * Flickr Account (external link)
Tokina AT-X Pro DX 11-20 f/2.8 * Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 DC Macro OS * Sigma 150-500 f5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM
Canon 18-55 IS Kit Lens * Canon 70-300 IS USM * Canon 50mm f1.8 * Canon 580EX II

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,244 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 05, 2018 13:06 |  #7

Inspeqtor wrote in post #18722871 (external link)

You can set your Internet connection as "metered" which will block it but I believe that also blocks security updates.

John ­ from ­ PA
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
8,613 posts
Joined May 2003
Post edited 5 months ago by John from PA.

Oct 05, 2018 13:23 |  #8

Inspeqtor wrote in post #18722871 (external link)

The link I provided has links to instructions.

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,244 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 05, 2018 13:28 |  #9

John from PA wrote in post #18722899 (external link)
The link I provided has links to instructions.

DEFERRING THE OCTOBER 2018 UPDATE

If, on the other hand, you'd prefer to allow other people to uncover the bugs and compatibility issues that are inevitable with a new update of this magnitude, you have several options. (Assuming, that is, that you're running a business edition of Windows 10. Sorry, there are no update management tools for Windows 10 Home.)

John ­ from ­ PA
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
8,613 posts
Joined May 2003
Post edited 4 months ago by John from PA. (2 edits in all)

Oct 06, 2018 11:38 |  #10

The update was so bad that Windows has pulled it ...see https://www.zdnet.com …ober-update-version-1809/ (external link)

Does anyone make an anti-Microsoft package to complement my antivirus and antimalware? :)

Inspeqtor
Chet,You are a genius
7,210 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Mar 2008
Post edited 5 months ago by Inspeqtor.

Oct 06, 2018 11:42 |  #11

John from PA wrote in post #18723465 (external link)
So bad that Windows has pulled the update...see https://www.zdnet.com …ober-update-version-1809/ (external link)

I also just saw this article John. You beat me to posting the article by only 2 minutes!! ;-)a  :p

Charles
Canon EOS 60D Gripped * Canon EOS XSi * Flickr Account (external link)
Tokina AT-X Pro DX 11-20 f/2.8 * Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 DC Macro OS * Sigma 150-500 f5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM
Canon 18-55 IS Kit Lens * Canon 70-300 IS USM * Canon 50mm f1.8 * Canon 580EX II

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,244 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 06, 2018 11:57 |  #12

JFC, Microsoft. Get your sheeet together.

Someone needs to lose their job over deleting the user's documents folder. I'm sure in their arrogance, they just assumed everyone would have all their docs on OneDrive and email on Exchange so it wouldn't be a problem. :rolleyes:

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Oct 06, 2018 17:02 |  #13
bannedPermanent ban

mike_d wrote in post #18723481 (external link)
JFC, Microsoft. Get your sheeet together.

Someone needs to lose their job over deleting the user's documents folder. I'm sure in their arrogance, they just assumed everyone would have all their docs on OneDrive and email on Exchange so it wouldn't be a problem. :rolleyes:

Maybe that's a surreptitious way to force people to keep their data on the cloud. Just being cynical, of course... kind of.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

crofter
259 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Aug 2011

Oct 07, 2018 02:00 |  #14

The first thing I do when getting a new computer is to partition the drive,all the important stuff goes on the new partition and on an external drive,then if windows goes tits-up all my stuff is safe,nobody keeps important stuff in the docs folder do they?

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/70718847@N02/ (external link)

drmaxx
Goldmember
1,115 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Oct 07, 2018 03:31 |  #15

crofter wrote in post #18723862 (external link)
[...] nobody keeps important stuff in the docs folder do they?

Doesn't matter where you keep your important stuff as long as you have a solid backup plan with offsite storage and versioning....

Donate if you love POTN

sponsored links

1,490 views & 3 likes for this thread
Windows 10 update issues - serious issues being experienced
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.