Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
Thread started 09 Sep 2018 (Sunday) 17:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My first attempt at Milky Way

dboghosian
511 posts
Gallery: 183 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jun 2009
Post edited over 1 year ago by dboghosian. (2 edits in all)

Sep 09, 2018 17:55 |  #1

Any suggestions to improve my photography, is welcomed.

I know I left the shutter open for a little longer than i should, but it was my first time trying.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

https://droboghosian.v​iewbug.com/ (external link)

sponsored links
icopus
"the creep following them around taking pictures"
2,934 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Dec 2010
Post edited over 1 year ago by icopus.

Sep 09, 2018 18:25 |  #2

Yes, timed a little on the long side, but looks stunning to me! Well done!

It's my life and I'll get pissed if I want to.
"Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar." - E.R. Murrow

paul3221
Goldmember
2,461 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Sep 13, 2018 08:58 |  #3

It looks decent. With that Lens and camera, I would bump up the ISO a bit more (2000+), shoot at F2.8, leave the shutter open for 25 to 30 seconds. You'll probably just start to get the starts moving around 30 seconds in my experience. I would kill the foreground light hitting the tree, or at least turn it way down. It's overpowering the rest of the stuff in the image. The rest is down to processing. It looks to me a little heavy handed on the contrast or sharpening, as a lot of the more subtle detail is gone. That's a matter of taste though. Great first attempt!

Paul
Sony A7RII, 5DII, a bunch of lenses and lighting... Whatever gets the shot... ;-)a
www.PaulDekortPhotogra​phy.com (external link)
Facebook Photography Page (external link)
500px (external link)

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,539 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 13, 2018 09:38 |  #4

It's a heck of a first shot, for sure. I don't mind the light, but watch your shadows when shooting like this; you've got you or some other object throwing a lighter shadow up the side of the tree, interrupting the lighting on it.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

bdillon
693 posts
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited over 1 year ago by bdillon with reason 'Spelling'.

Sep 29, 2018 19:49 |  #5

If you're new to stars then I'd say skip the foreground for a while and master the stars.
In this shot you have the foreground blocking some of the best of what the MW has to offer.

I'm not sure if you left the shutter open too long or its more of a focus issue. You didn't post the length of the exposure but I'm sure about 60% of what is perceived as blur from movement is actually from them not being in focus. If that's a single shot and not a composite of the foreground and background then you are 100% out of focus because your foreground is sharp.

Use live view, find a bright star and zoom in to 10x in live view. Turn auto focus off and manually focus on that bright star.

If you're going to start using a foreground then I recommend composites. Focus on the stars and take your shot, then adjust the focus for your foreground. Layer the shots in PS and do come creative masking. Light painting a foreground along with the Milky Way is often overdone. It doesn't take a strong light at all. I also recommend using a warming gel on your light to better match the white balance. I usually end up doing a longer exposure of my foreground and then pull out the details I need in PS. For my foreground I will turn on long exposure noise reduction in the camera so it minimizes hot pixels and what not. With long exposure NR on the camera will take a second shot of equal length with the shutter closed so it can record noise and hot pixels. If you take a 2 minute exposure it will be 4 minutes until you can use your camera again.

Then refine your post processing technique, sharpening and noise reductions. Your 5D4 is a very capable camera and you can pull some pretty good detail out of a single shot, like what I've attached. Yes, my shutter was open too long. This was from a set where I was testing my new 5D4 and 35mm 1.4L to get the feel for it and I ended up editing the wrong photo and I'm feeling too lazy to go back and do another.

IMAGE: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1929/44278075274_5530167684_h.jpg

Littleoldman
249 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Oct 04, 2018 20:10 |  #6

Beautiful shot

dboghosian
THREAD ­ STARTER
511 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Oct 07, 2018 01:07 |  #7

I did't light the tree. It was the light from the camp ground.

Thank you all for your advice.

dboghosian
THREAD ­ STARTER
511 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Oct 07, 2018 10:46 |  #8

This was the original show before cropping.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

paul3221
Goldmember
2,461 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 07, 2018 10:56 |  #9

I think I actually like the original crop a bit more, but that's a matter of taste. It looks from the original like there is some subtle detail in the milky way that was lost in the cropped one? Maybe down to how you processed it?

Paul
Sony A7RII, 5DII, a bunch of lenses and lighting... Whatever gets the shot... ;-)a
www.PaulDekortPhotogra​phy.com (external link)
Facebook Photography Page (external link)
500px (external link)

dboghosian
THREAD ­ STARTER
511 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Oct 07, 2018 14:08 as a reply to  @ paul3221's post |  #10

Yes I did play with it more after cropping. Looking at it again, I also like the original better.

sponsored links

1,202 views & 11 likes for this thread
My first attempt at Milky Way
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.