Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 06 Oct 2018 (Saturday) 15:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

canon 70-300L IS vs canon 70-200L f4 IS

eddieb1
837 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Oct 06, 2018 15:49 |  #1

IQ wise, which is better? I've been searching for the answer to no avail.

sponsored links
ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
23,005 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005
Post edited 5 months ago by ed rader.

Oct 06, 2018 16:22 |  #2

I've owned both and used both heavily for years. IQ is very close and is not a reason to choose one over the other. the reason I sold my 70-300L and went back to the 70-200L f4 IS is because with the longer zoom I had an unacceptable hit rate when doing longish to long exposures especially in lower light.

i'm not sure on where you've been searching but there are plenty of online comparisons of the two lenses.

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L III, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15mm FE, 35mm ef-s macro, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L, gitzo GM4562, markins Q10, markins Q3, kirk, really right stuff, sirui

Sibil
Cream of the Crop
8,302 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 06, 2018 19:32 |  #3

I own both and think the IQ is very close, with a very small edge going to the 70-200 IS.

eddieb1
THREAD ­ STARTER
837 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Oct 07, 2018 13:57 as a reply to  @ ed rader's post |  #4

What I should have said that I was looking for a comparison from people on this forum. I have found other sites that have comparisons, but these are fanboys that would say a turd with a red ring is superior to anything else. :-P

mcoren
624 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Mar 2015

Oct 07, 2018 21:32 |  #5

I’ve owned both and I was always satisfied with the IQ from both, although my standards may be different from other people’s. I sold my 70-200 to buy the Sigma 100-400 because I needed more range. A few months ago I picked up a used 70-300 because I wanted something more compact for when I don’t need as much range.

They’re both good lenses. One has a constant aperture, the other has more range in a shorter package but variable aperture.

One other difference, the 70-200 has the zoom ring on the inside (close to the camera body) and the MF ring on the outside. The 70-300 has them reversed. I personally prefer the latter (the 70-300 way with the zoom ring on the oustside) because when I’m following a moving subject, my left hand on the zoom ring is further from my right hand on the camera body which I feel gives me better control.

Mike

Canon EOS 7D Mark II, EOS M5, and EOS 100 (film SLR)
A bunch of Canon lenses and a couple of Sigmas
A backpack, a bicycle, and a pair of hiking boots

eddieb1
THREAD ­ STARTER
837 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Oct 08, 2018 19:06 |  #6

I ordered a 70-300 today from Adorama. Looking forward to a new toy. Thanks for the help all.

duckster
431 posts
Gallery: 86 photos
Joined May 2017

Oct 10, 2018 22:25 |  #7

Rented a 70-200L IS f4 to try at a cross country meet tomorrow. Took a few dog photos this evening, just to try it out. Looked good, even on a cloudy evening so hoping for some good shots tomorrow. This lens is so much lighter and smaller than the 100-400L and the 70-200L f2.8, should be much nicer to carry around on the course.

sponsored links

1,281 views & 3 likes for this thread
canon 70-300L IS vs canon 70-200L f4 IS
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.