Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 07 Oct 2018 (Sunday) 14:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Should I sell my 7D?

mcoren
624 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Mar 2015
Post edited 5 months ago by mcoren.

Oct 07, 2018 14:44 |  #1

Last July, I bought a used 7D (Mark I) because I wanted to have a second camera setup for shooting the solar eclipse. Soon after that, the 7D became my "main" body. Even though my (previously main) 70D had higher resolution and the flippy screen (which I used a lot for holding up and shooting over people and obstacles), the 7D fit better in my hand and felt more solid, and I liked the joystick controller and the AF point expansion mode.

This past January, I sold the 70D and bought a used 7D Mark II. I kept the 7D, thinking it's a great camera to keep as second body. But the truth is I haven't used it at all since getting the 7Dii. I don't typically use two bodies (total solar eclipses notwithstanding), and I'm thinking now that I'd like something smaller and lighter as a second body for business travel (or hiking/biking), when I want to bring a DSLR but I don't anticipate needing the higher performance (and size/weight) of the 7Dii.

So I'm at a bit of an impasse. I think the 7D is still a great camera despite its age, and I don't want to get rid of it, but I never use it. The rational side of me says to sell it and put the proceeds toward something smaller, but another side of me is saying to hang onto it in any event.

Any thoughts and insights from the POTN crew are greatly appreciated!

Mike

Canon EOS 7D Mark II, EOS M5, and EOS 100 (film SLR)
A bunch of Canon lenses and a couple of Sigmas
A backpack, a bicycle, and a pair of hiking boots

sponsored links
MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,063 posts
Gallery: 1508 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Oct 07, 2018 15:37 |  #2

Sell it. You're not using it. And it's price tag is driving down. These go for $400 or less these days. They're great cameras for that cost. Ton of camera for the money.

But, what is really lighter and smaller that you'd want? Canon's mirrorless system? Another system in general?

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,582 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Oct 07, 2018 15:38 |  #3

Sell the 7d and raise half the funds toward an SL2. it is a great second body to the 7d2.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

mcoren
THREAD ­ STARTER
624 posts
Joined Mar 2015

Oct 07, 2018 17:34 |  #4

Thanks Gents. That's been kinda my feeling too, but I'm always afraid I'll sell something and then suddenly have a burning need for it two weeks later. You've heard of buyer's remorse? I worry about seller's remorse! I think I'm just over-thinking it.

The SL2 has really impressive specs, and it's definitely small and light, but I have big hands and long fingers so I think I'd be constantly afraid of dropping it. I should try it out to see how it feels though. I used to have a Rebel T2i and I was OK with that, so I was thinking maybe a T6i or T7i. The 77D looks good too, and that cuts down the weight but not so much the size.

At this point I might just wait to see if a rumored (or speculated?) APS-C EOS R camera comes out early next year. But I'm not looking at another system. I'm an unashamed Canon fanboi!

Thanks,
Mike

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,412 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Oct 07, 2018 22:12 |  #5

I never use cameras without neck strap. If it is small camera I use wrist strap. Size of cameras and hands doesn't matter.
I have 500D and with 24 2.8 it is small enough, yet, without ergonomics compromises camera. SL series are compromised in this regard (IMO).

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

Spencerphoto
372 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Sep 2018

Oct 07, 2018 22:25 |  #6

I don't see the point of selling the 7D just to buy something only a little smaller like a Rebel.

However, were you to use the funds to go toward a competent compact that would offer very different features and significant weight saving, then I would agree.

I was thinking along similar lines a couple of years ago and bought a Lumix LX100 to go with my 5D3. Being pretty capable AND having a fixed zoom of useful range, along with being way smaller & lighter than my DSLR with any lens attached, means they complement each other. The Lumix is usually the camera I take on holiday and rarely gets left behind if I'm going for a walk/day out.

5D3, 7D2, EF 16-35 f/2.8L, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF 70-200 f/2.8L II, EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF 1.4x III, Sigma 150mm macro, Lumix LX100 plus a cupboard full of bags, tripods, flashes & stuff.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,582 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Oct 07, 2018 22:29 as a reply to  @ Spencerphoto's post |  #7

Because a) some of the rebels have better DR, and b) it can use the same lenses as the existing body.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

Spencerphoto
372 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Sep 2018

Oct 07, 2018 22:36 as a reply to  @ TeamSpeed's post |  #8

I would agree if the OP expressed a need for a second body, but he says he only needs one. Consequently, I reckon getting something quite different from a DSLR makes more sense.

5D3, 7D2, EF 16-35 f/2.8L, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF 70-200 f/2.8L II, EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF 1.4x III, Sigma 150mm macro, Lumix LX100 plus a cupboard full of bags, tripods, flashes & stuff.

mcoren
THREAD ­ STARTER
624 posts
Joined Mar 2015

Oct 08, 2018 08:29 |  #9

kf095 wrote in post #18724533 (external link)
I never use cameras without neck strap. If it is small camera I use wrist strap. Size of cameras and hands doesn't matter.
I have 500D and with 24 2.8 it is small enough, yet, without ergonomics compromises camera. SL series are compromised in this regard (IMO).

I don't like neck straps, but I use Peak Design Clutch hand straps. That helps a lot, but I find a tiny body with a smaller grip just feels awkward in my hands.

When I got back into photography in 2012 and wanted to buy a new camera (my ex kept our 20D), I really liked the specs of the Sony NEX-7, and it was getting great reviews. I went into a store and tried one, but I didn't feel that I could get a solid grip on it. That was when I bought the T2i.

Mike

mcoren
THREAD ­ STARTER
624 posts
Joined Mar 2015

Oct 08, 2018 08:36 |  #10

Spencerphoto wrote in post #18724539 (external link)
I don't see the point of selling the 7D just to buy something only a little smaller like a Rebel.

However, were you to use the funds to go toward a competent compact that would offer very different features and significant weight saving, then I would agree.

I was thinking along similar lines a couple of years ago and bought a Lumix LX100 to go with my 5D3. Being pretty capable AND having a fixed zoom of useful range, along with being way smaller & lighter than my DSLR with any lens attached, means they complement each other. The Lumix is usually the camera I take on holiday and rarely gets left behind if I'm going for a walk/day out.

The issue isn't trading a 7D for a Rebel, it's whether I should sell a body that I don't use and possibly buy one that I will. My trepidation is that the 7D is such a great body that I don't want to regret selling it, but on the other hand it's not doing me any good now.

Mike

mcoren
THREAD ­ STARTER
624 posts
Joined Mar 2015

Oct 08, 2018 08:43 |  #11

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18724542 (external link)
Because a) some of the rebels have better DR, and b) it can use the same lenses as the existing body.

Exactly. I like DSLRs, although to be honest I haven't given much thought to compacts. When I want to travel light, I have an 18-55 STM and a 55-250 STM, which are great lenses. I'll usually take one or the other, depending on what photo opportunities I expect, but they're light enough that I can take both if I have the space.

Mike

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
11,953 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 08, 2018 09:11 |  #12

There isn't much value in a camera launched nine years ago anyway.
I have two 7D cameras, and I don't intend to sell any one of them. Too little value to bother.

Anders

mcoren
THREAD ­ STARTER
624 posts
Joined Mar 2015
Post edited 5 months ago by mcoren. (2 edits in all)

Oct 08, 2018 09:11 |  #13

Spencerphoto wrote in post #18724547 (external link)
I would agree if the OP expressed a need for a second body, but he says he only needs one. Consequently, I reckon getting something quite different from a DSLR makes more sense.

That's a valid point. As I mentioned in my response to TeamSpeed, I haven't really thought about a compact. The last compact I owned was a 5MP Olympus C5050 that I bought sometime around 2002. We had two small children so fiddling with an SLR was often difficult, and I picked that one because it had a good lens, but I didn't like the power zoom or the way it didn't AF until after you pressed the button to take the picture, causing a delay of a second or so. I wasn't trying to use that for jets at air shows, just my toddlers (who seemed able to move faster than jets sometimes!).

It wasn't my intent to make this another "which camera should I buy" thread, although those discussions are always educational. My question was really if I should let the 7D go. Bringing the smaller body into it probably just confused things.

On the main question, I think I'm coming around to "yes, I should." The 7D is a great camera, but it's of little use to me given that I have a 7Dii and I don't go out with two bodies. Maybe somebody else will be able to get more use out of it than I do (which is currently zero).

Right now I'm traveling frequently on business (2x/month or so), and I like to bring a camera with me because I occasionally find myself in a new place with half a day or so free (my profile picture is a straw-colored fruit bat from the Oregon Zoo in Portland, which I visited on a work trip a couple of years ago). But that ebbs and flows, and I may or may not be traveling as much by next spring.

Buying a second body is not a primary consideration. If I sell the 7D, I can put the proceeds toward another body, or I might not. If I don't sell the 7D, I can still buy another body without having to make sacrifices elsewhere in my life. But I don't feel a compelling need for a second body at the moment, it's just something that I've thought about recently. Maybe I'll look at compacts and see if there's something I like. I definitely want to wait and see if Canon releases an APS-C R-series body next year, and maybe go in that direction, but I might not have the need by then. For now, the GAS hasn't kicked in for this particular item.

Thanks to all!
Mike

mcoren
THREAD ­ STARTER
624 posts
Joined Mar 2015

Oct 08, 2018 09:24 |  #14

apersson850 wrote in post #18724737 (external link)
There isn't much value in a camera launched nine years ago anyway.
I have two 7D cameras, and I don't intend to sell any one of them. Too little value to bother.

I don't disagree. I'm considering this more because I have it and it's taking up space but I never use it, and maybe somebody else could benefit from it.

Despite its age, the original 7D is still a solid performer.

Mike

mcoren
THREAD ­ STARTER
624 posts
Joined Mar 2015
Post edited 5 months ago by mcoren.

Oct 09, 2018 09:51 |  #15

I've listed it in the for sale forum here and on my local Craigslist.

First rule of Craigslist: When you list any photographic equipment for more than $300, any responses you get during the first 12 hours are most likely scammers.

"I want it. What is your paypal? I'll send you [$100 more than asking price] to ship it to me/my son in college/my father in law"
(variation: "I want it but my schedule is too busy to meet right now...")
Sorry. In person and cash only, as it says in the ad.

(via text message): "I'm interested. Can you email me at ...?"
You can email me using the link in the ad if you prefer to communicate that way.

Mike

sponsored links

778 views & 9 likes for this thread
Should I sell my 7D?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.