Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 05 Sep 2018 (Wednesday) 02:31
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "How's the new EOS-R stack up for you?"
It's Amazing!
26.5%
It's kind of a let down
33.8%
It's trash
8.5%
It's good for the price
23.5%
It helped me pick a new body
7.7%

189 voters, 260 votes given (3 choices choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

EOS-R - It's out. Thoughts?

this thread is locked
DTBaan
"male gigolo"
13,955 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Apr 2011

Oct 09, 2018 11:20 |  #1741

mdvaden wrote in post #18724537 (external link)
A recent review on one of the EOS R's lens options - the 28-70mm f/2

Wonder if more photographers will buy this lens than the 11-24mm that is close to the same price. The uses are not very similar. And not many photographers afford lenses this expensive.

an f2 mid range zoom lens is sexy! why couldnt they do 24mm though!? would have been awesome.

sponsored links
patrick ­ j
Goldmember
1,233 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 09, 2018 13:33 |  #1742

Ken Rockwell has a table that compares just about everything it is possible to compare between the Sony, Nikon, and Canon mirrorless cameras. (he must be up to his eyeballs in camera gear in his house) He has a soft spot for Canon, he seems generally more favorable towards the EOS R than the other 2, but at the end admits the ratings were not to be taken too seriously. Here is the link and part of his summary, seems reasonable, I think we perhaps exaggerate tiny shortcomings as being more significant than they are.

https://kenrockwell.co​m …on-vs-sony-full-frame.htm (external link)

The final answer is that you should get whichever brand you already love; they are all surprisingly wonderful. Nikon and Canon's brand-new mirrorless are amazingly excellent. If you're invested in either Canon or Nikon, their new mirrorless work the same as your DSLR - just better - and give the same colors you love. If you're already in Sony and if you love the menu system and in-hand-feel, then stick with them.

Flickr (external link)

deglopper
51 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 09, 2018 17:12 |  #1743

It appears that the control ring adapter has now shipped from Adorama as well. I had a couple minutes to try out the RF 24-105, but was unable to find any ducks in the time I had.

The EVF is a little awkward with distance glasses, but I more or less seem to be able to focus on it without the glasses. The fly-by-wire focus ring on the 24-105 works with the lens set to MF, but doesn't seem to work in AF, although I think it's supposed to. I like the new FV mode - it's easy to bounce between essentially Av, Fv, and ISO priority modes.

The camera is running fine with my 9-year-old 7D battery while the new battery charges.

A couple of camera JPGs, resized to post. Originals and one CR3 raw at http://mhem.net/eosr/ (external link)

IMAGE: http://mhem.net/eosr/CO7A0008small.JPG

IMAGE: http://mhem.net/eosr/CO7A0016small.JPG

mcoren
621 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Mar 2015
Post edited 4 months ago by mcoren.

Oct 09, 2018 17:35 |  #1744

Thanks for posting your first impressions!

deglopper wrote in post #18725714 (external link)
The EVF is a little awkward with distance glasses, but I more or less seem to be able to focus on it without the glasses.

Doesn't it have a diopter adjustment?

EDIT: According to the manual, there is a dioptric adjustment knob. It's to the left of the viewfinder. Try adjusting that while you look through with your distance glasses on.

Mike

Canon EOS 7D Mark II, EOS M5, and EOS 100 (film SLR)
A bunch of Canon lenses and a couple of Sigmas
A backpack, a bicycle, and a pair of hiking boots

chuckmiller
852 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined May 2012

Oct 09, 2018 18:02 |  #1745

Nothing wrong with these photos!

A couple of camera JPGs, resized to post. Originals and one CR3 raw at http://mhem.net/eosr/ (external link)

QUOTED IMAGE

QUOTED IMAGE

Retired from Fire/Rescue with 30 years on the job 1/05/2019

deglopper
51 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 09, 2018 19:54 |  #1746

mcoren wrote in post #18725724 (external link)
Thanks for posting your first impressions!

Doesn't it have a diopter adjustment?

EDIT: According to the manual, there is a dioptric adjustment knob. It's to the left of the viewfinder. Try adjusting that while you look through with your distance glasses on.

Mike

It does, and that gets me close enough without glasses. There's apparently enough difference in the eye focus distance with the SLR vs the electronic viewfinder that I can still see with the SLR, although that isn't perfect either. I have more astigmatism than distance correction, and the diopter adjustment can't compensate for astigmatism.

grasshopper315
111 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Oct 09, 2018 22:10 |  #1747

...The fly-by-wire focus ring on the 24-105 works with the lens set to MF, but doesn't seem to work in AF, although I think it's supposed to. ...

If the full time manual focus works the same as in the M5 you need to be in one shot AF and the shutter button must be depressed as you turn the focus ring. I assume the same with the R.

Trout ­ Bum
445 posts
Gallery: 73 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Oct 10, 2018 21:01 |  #1748

Stopped at Best Buy to see what the kit felt like. Guess I should have posted the unboxing :-)
Personally, was hoping ver. 1 would be a little lighter, but I liked the fit. A bit top-heavy with that lens, but nicer than my 5d4 rig.
As had been mentioned previously, the back focus button is quite a bit further right— about where the star button is on the 5. A bit uncomfortably so, for these older thumbs.

Speaking of ergonomics, being able to go down the line and pick up a “comparable” Sony, Nikon, Fuji and Panny-
Canon gets it. Some of those manufacturers seem to be designing bodies meant to be held by robots. Even the M50 felt better than any of those. Having used versions of all of those brands in the past, I won't get into the menu system -?. (Yes, I know one can adjust.)

Mark
My photography website (external link)
My fine art website (external link)
My youtube channel (external link)
Instagram: @MarkMilleArt

Ah-keong
937 posts
Gallery: 69 photos
Joined Apr 2016

Oct 11, 2018 03:34 |  #1749

I may consider getting one with control ring adaptor to use with manual focus lens....

Canon 7D2+grip | 18-35mm ART | EF-S 10-18mm | EF 70-200mm f/2,8L IS II | ZE 2/100mm | ZE 2/35mm | ZE 1,4/85mm | CV 3,5/20mm |
Olympus E-PL3 | 7-14mm f/2,8 |
Speedlite 430EX III-RT | 600EX-RT | YN 600EX-RT |
Manfrotto BeFree Travel Tripod |

Mike
ugly when I'm sober
15,397 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2006

Oct 11, 2018 10:17 |  #1750

It appears that the control ring adapter has now shipped from Adorama as well. I had a couple minutes to try out the RF 24-105, but was unable to find any ducks in the time I had.

The EVF is a little awkward with distance glasses, but I more or less seem to be able to focus on it without the glasses. The fly-by-wire focus ring on the 24-105 works with the lens set to MF, but doesn't seem to work in AF, although I think it's supposed to. I like the new FV mode - it's easy to bounce between essentially Av, Fv, and ISO priority modes.

The camera is running fine with my 9-year-old 7D battery while the new battery charges.

QUOTED IMAGE

QUOTED IMAGE

Nice!
Now post them here: https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1501070
;-)a

www.mikegreenphotograp​hy.co.uk (external link)
Gear
UK South Easterners
flickr (external link) Insta1 (external link) Insta2 (external link)

A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
9,251 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Oct 11, 2018 11:03 |  #1751

Adapters announced

https://www.canonrumor​s.com …nt-adapters-to-the-world/ (external link)

PL to R Mount
Panavision to R Mount
ARRI Bayonet to R Mount
Canon FD to R Mount
Nikon G to R Mount
B4 to R Mount (providing S35 mode on the camera)

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,360 posts
Gallery: 98 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited 4 months ago by TeamSpeed.

Oct 11, 2018 16:24 |  #1752

This is the most boring release ever. People should have had their cameras by now all over the country/world, I would think, but there is no noise anywhere about the common folk owning this camera and posting their findings on it, in any forum. Just a periodic random one here and there, like this thread.

Come on people, get on with it already!

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

welshwizard1971
Goldmember
1,417 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Oct 11, 2018 17:11 |  #1753

Any real world owners got any feedback on the focus spee? Fast, slow, comparable to a , 5D mk iii etc?

5DIII, 40D, 16-35L 35 ART 50 ART 100L macro, 24-70 L Mk2, 135L 200L 70-200L f4 IS
Hype chimping - The act of looking at your screen after every shot, then wildly behaving like it's the best picture in the world, to try and impress other photographers around you.

mdvaden
Goldmember
2,829 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 11, 2018 19:01 |  #1754

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18727020 (external link)
This is the most boring release ever. People should have had their cameras by now all over the country/world, I would think, but there is no noise anywhere about the common folk owning this camera and posting their findings on it, in any forum. Just a periodic random one here and there, like this thread.

I noticed a couple days ago, a surge on Youtube by a bunch of people who posted unboxing and various other videos about the EOS R.

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

DTBaan
"male gigolo"
13,955 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Apr 2011

Oct 11, 2018 20:44 |  #1755

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18727020 (external link)

pre-owners were shameful and disappointed, returned the camera to buy a sony :twisted::twisted::twisted:

big joke btw

*disables pm

sponsored links

112,959 views & 1,660 likes for this thread
EOS-R - It's out. Thoughts?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.