Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 10 Oct 2018 (Wednesday) 21:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Eneloop Pro batteries for speedlite

firme
293 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Oct 10, 2018 21:27 |  #1

I have a speedlite that currently uses energizer rechargeable batteries. Although, am satisfied with them, like any other battery feel as they don't last as much. But then again if run at full power, what can I expect. I found this in amazon: https://www.amazon.com …ywords=eneloop%​2Bpro&th=1 (external link)

I have been seeing the name a couple of times on line and a few on videos. Never used them... can anyone tell me if they are good as mentioned or just stick to the energizer. If better, will it help cycle faster? Thanks in advanced.

sponsored links
Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,839 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 10, 2018 22:31 |  #2

Rechargeables test, original

https://photography-on-the.net …showthread.php?​p=18287437

and followup

https://photography-on-the.net …showthread.php?​p=18287437

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Angmo
looks like I picked a bad week to give up halucinagens
1,108 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Dec 2015

Oct 11, 2018 01:42 |  #3

Oh good. None of us have to repeat that test. It’s great.

Nikons, Rolleiflexes, Elinchroms, Billinghams

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,330 posts
Joined May 2003

Oct 11, 2018 03:03 |  #4

If you don't have Amazon Prime, same kit, same price at B&H includes expedited delivery.

https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com …op_pro_high_cap​acity.html (external link)

firme
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Mar 2012
Post edited over 1 year ago by firme.

Oct 11, 2018 08:48 |  #5

Thanks for the links and good thing I do have prime.

The energizer batteries cycle roughly about 4-5 seconds fully charged and longer once they are near the end. They do get hot as well. Will definitely get eneloop or powerex.

drmaxx
Goldmember
1,217 posts
Gallery: 37 photos
Joined Jul 2010
Post edited over 1 year ago by drmaxx.

Oct 11, 2018 11:27 |  #6

firme wrote in post #18726790 (external link)
The energizer batteries cycle roughly about 4-5 seconds fully charged [...]

Your batteries are definitely very tired - any decent NiMH batteries should provide higher currents. You can go with any new rechargeable battery to get better recycle times. The difference eneloops and other low discharge batteries will give you is the ability to store them without loosing significant charge.

Donate if you love POTN

Wilt
41,839 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 12, 2018 15:26 |  #7

drmaxx wrote in post #18726885 (external link)
You can go with any new rechargeable battery to get better recycle times.

BTW, if you use only the AA batteries that are fitted within the battery compartment of the flash, it will NEVER recycle as fast as powering the flash via an external battery pack that is loaded with usually 8 AA batteries, connected via a cord to the flash. External battery packs can get down to 2 sec. recycle from full power discharge flash.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

firme
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Oct 12, 2018 16:18 |  #8

Out of curiosity what is a descent brand? I see they vary in different price ranges and I sure can't get one for at some of the prices I have been seeing them at.

SYS
Cream of the Crop
10,088 posts
Gallery: 223 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2004

Oct 12, 2018 17:49 |  #9

Angmo wrote in post #18726644 (external link)
Oh good. None of us have to repeat that test. It’s great.

That's really funny. ;-)a

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear

Wilt
41,839 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 1 year ago by Wilt.

Oct 12, 2018 18:12 as a reply to  @ firme's post |  #10

You have not told us which speedlight you use! The power pack must have a compatible connector suitable for your flash unit.

firme
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Oct 13, 2018 01:04 |  #11

I have one Canon 580ex

drmaxx
Goldmember
1,217 posts
Gallery: 37 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Oct 13, 2018 02:00 |  #12

firme wrote in post #18727668 (external link)
Out of curiosity what is a descent brand?

Not sure if you are asking this for batteries or packs? As for batteries: Not an easy answer. Even the eneloops have a tarnished reputation (see: http://www.candlepower​forums.com …oop-Cycle-Testing-Results (external link)). However, if you go with the large brand names (Duracell, Energizer, ....) you are usually on the better side. If you are interested in long lifespans then get a intelligent battery charger with independent channels for each battery. Lower capacities (2000 mAh) are generally more robust then high capacity ones (2800 mAh).

Donate if you love POTN

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,330 posts
Joined May 2003

Oct 13, 2018 09:18 |  #13

drmaxx wrote in post #18727918 (external link)
Not sure if you are asking this for batteries or packs? As for batteries: Not an easy answer. Even the eneloops have a tarnished reputation (see: http://www.candlepower​forums.com …oop-Cycle-Testing-Results (external link)). However, if you go with the large brand names (Duracell, Energizer, ....) you are usually on the better side. If you are interested in long lifespans then get a intelligent battery charger with independent channels for each battery. Lower capacities (2000 mAh) are generally more robust then high capacity ones (2800 mAh).

The article you link to is four years old and addresses inferior quality Chinese made Eneloops vs. Japanese. If you look at that back of the package the OP intends to purchase (see 2nd image from top) it clearly states batteries are made in Japan.

firme
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Oct 13, 2018 14:27 |  #14

Asking about the power pack.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,330 posts
Joined May 2003

Oct 16, 2018 00:39 |  #15

firme wrote in post #18728179 (external link)
Asking about the power pack.

I think Canon discontinued the power pack but there are some units available used. See https://www.adorama.co​m …-WSrVoG9k3cAaAjyxEALw_w​cB (external link) for one typical listing at $49. The original list price was around $220.

It uses 8 AA batteries. One caution is when firing on continuous; after 20 shots it is recommended you allow the speedlight to cool for 10 minutes.

sponsored links

4,877 views & 3 likes for this thread
Eneloop Pro batteries for speedlite
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.