Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 13 Oct 2018 (Saturday) 15:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Portrait lens help/suggestion

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,263 posts
Joined May 2003

Oct 14, 2018 22:13 |  #16

There is a good depth of field calculator at http://www.dofmaster.c​om/dofjs.html (external link). You should give it a try to see the effects of focal length, aperture, etc.

sponsored links
elitejp
Goldmember
1,762 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2008
Post edited over 1 year ago by elitejp.

Oct 14, 2018 23:07 |  #17

My 2 favorite lenses are the 70-200 2.8L and the 135L on a full frame camera. Before that I really loved the 85 1.8 when i had a crop camera. Both the 135 and the 70-200 werent in my collection when I was shooting crop. For me I dont care for the 85 on ff but really liked it on the crop and now I just love the 135 which is what the 85 actually ends up being on a crop camera (85mm X1.6 crop factor=136)

So for me its really hard to decide which lens I like better for portraits the 135L or the 70-200L. For you I think either the 85 or the 70-200 that was mentioned earlier should give you pretty drastic and immediate results. The only thing is im not sure of is how much the f4 on the 70-200 will affect the background blur since I havent shot a crop camera with that focal length at f4. The 85 1.8 will definitely give you some great pics though.

Either way dont expect to be shooting much indoors with these lenses. You just dont have enough room.

6D; canon 85mm 1.8, Tamron 24-70mm VC, Canon 135L Canon 70-200L is ii

firme
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Oct 14, 2018 23:08 |  #18

Thanks for the link. Is there a Camera that is similar to mine? The 80d is not listed.

DreDaze, started some testing with the Tamron. I set to 50, 35, 24 and 17. Saw more depth of field with using at 50 as with the 50mm.

firme
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Oct 14, 2018 23:19 |  #19

This is with the 50mm at F4 and F6.3 Did not adjust iso but was using a speedlite 580ex with no umbrella/soft box.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,788 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 1 year ago by Wilt. (6 edits in all)

Oct 14, 2018 23:28 |  #20

firme wrote in post #18729034 (external link)
This is with the 50mm at F4 and F6.3 Did not adjust iso but was using a speedlite 580ex with no umbrella/soft box.

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by firme in
./showthread.php?p=187​29034&i=i212318892
forum: Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=187​29034&i=i96087216

What you SHOULD have observed, when shooting with eTTL flash, is NOT a difference in the density of the recorded scene, but both shots should be equally bright...the flash should be outputting +1.33EV more light to offset the recording of -1.33EV less light due to the smaller lens aperture!
So any visible difference in the recorded scene should have merely reflected the greater DOF zone depth with f/6.3...which would be about 1.33x in depth with f/6.3 (1.33EV smaller aperture), and the background should be 'less blurry' with f/6.3

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

firme
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Oct 14, 2018 23:35 |  #21

The first one is at a farther distance and place various items. No flash.

HOSTED PHOTO

firme
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Oct 14, 2018 23:36 |  #22

The above and these were taken with the Tamron.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

firme
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Mar 2012
Post edited over 1 year ago by firme.

Oct 14, 2018 23:37 |  #23

The bottom did use flash.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

wyntastr
754 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2012

Oct 15, 2018 11:06 |  #24

Whatever you decide, you should definitely pick up that 70-200 f4L for $300. It's so versatile. Lightweight, tack sharp, quick autofocus, nice focal range for a variety of subjects and in good light, you won't even miss the IS.
You've already got the nifty fifty, which can produce nice results for portraits, but if you can squeeze out a few more bucks, pick up a used 85mm f1.8 for under $350 and you'll have a pair of very competent primes for portraiture and other low light applications.

6D - 1D Mk III - 60D - Rokinon 8 fisheye - EF 17-40 f/4L - EF 40 f/2.8 STM - EF 50 f/1.8 Mk I - EF 85 f/1.8 - EF 70-200 f/4L - EF 80-200 f/2.8L Magic Drainpipe - EF 300mm f/2.8 IS L - EF 100-400L

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,877 posts
Gallery: 146 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 15, 2018 11:23 |  #25

firme wrote in post #18728216 (external link)
Would like to have photos where I can blur the background considerably. What type of lense would be helpful for this? I have seen online where some suggest 70mm and above. Others I have seen using up to 200mm.

John from PA wrote in post #18728346 (external link)
The point I was trying to make, and it is borne out by your statements, if you are primarily trying to improve your images by blurring the background, then you should do some studies of depth of field instead of spending money on a lens.

You are very right, John.

Lens aperture and/or focal length doesn't have nearly as much ability to blur backgrounds as the photographer does by controlling the spatial relationships between the subject and the camera vs the background elements and the camera.

When it comes to tastefully blurred backgrounds, it is all about the photographer, and hardly about the lens or aperture at all. . If someone is struggling to get blurred backgrounds at f4, then shooting at f2.8 or f1.4 or whatever isn't going to help them very much. . But learning how to position ones' self and how to position the subject is going to be a huge help, and will get you the blurred backgrounds that you want, regardless of what aperture you shoot at.

Heck, a photographer who knows what he/she is doing can get wonderfully blurred backgrounds at f11 or f16 or even f22.

So the point that I am making is for the OP not to use blurred backgrounds as a basis for deciding which lens to buy, because he doesn't need any particular lens in order to blur a background, so long as he takes control over the subject-to-camera distance and the subject-to-background distance.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,788 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 15, 2018 11:25 as a reply to  @ firme's post |  #26

I am getting puzzled with the multiple later posting of photos...what are you trying to test or illustrate?

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,263 posts
Joined May 2003

Oct 15, 2018 12:04 |  #27

firme wrote in post #18729028 (external link)
Thanks for the link. Is there a Camera that is similar to mine? The 80d is not listed.

DreDaze, started some testing with the Tamron. I set to 50, 35, 24 and 17. Saw more depth of field with using at 50 as with the 50mm.

If your specific camera is not listed, then select something that has the same sensor format. Your 80D is an APS-C so you could chose the 60D and be fine

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,877 posts
Gallery: 146 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 15, 2018 12:07 |  #28

Wilt wrote in post #18729396 (external link)
I am getting puzzled with the multiple later posting of photos...what are you trying to test or illustrate?

He was showing the difference between using flash and not using flash.

firme wrote in post #18729043 (external link)
The bottom did use flash.

thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=187​29043&i=i109339243

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

firme
THREAD ­ STARTER
293 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Oct 15, 2018 23:51 |  #29

Thanks for the help. Sure have a lot of practicing to do, that's for sure. I took some more test pictures before sun down at a further distance than from the indoor test shots. Not comparing mine with others as I'll only make it harder on myself. Just as some have said, have to get a better grasp on depth of field.

Posted pictures to demonstrate my dop and open to any critique.

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,164 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2006
Post edited over 1 year ago by DreDaze.

Oct 16, 2018 00:44 |  #30

firme wrote in post #18729028 (external link)

more depth of field would be more in focus...so you are probably getting less...if you want blurred backgrounds, the keys are fast aperture, longer focal length, close to subject with the background farther away...place that plant on something where the background is 2 ft away, and then compare it to where the background is 10 ft away...you can do this with all of those factors...for example, shoot at f8, and then f2.8...you already did the focal length comparison

but yeah, just experiment, and you'll start to learn how to adjust what you are doing to get what you want

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

sponsored links

3,872 views & 5 likes for this thread
Portrait lens help/suggestion
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.